PDA

View Full Version : Just Check the Box Score

HillBillyZag
12-13-2009, 06:27 AM
For those who claim to be disappointed in Grant's performance, if you check the box, in 29 minutes he had eight (8) rebounds and three assists, while only attempting three shots. His job last night was not to score, it was to board, box out, pass, play defense and settle things down. If you notice he did pretty well at all of those things. Granted, he'll never be as flashy and athletic as some of the others but I know a redheaded kid who had a pretty nice Zag career doing just the basic things right. The Coaching staff, the other players and Davidson noticed his contributions also.

bigblahla
12-13-2009, 07:02 AM
For those who claim to be disappointed in Grant's performance, if you check the box, in 29 minutes he had eight (8) rebounds and three assists, while only attempting three shots. His job last night was not to score, it was to board, box out, pass, play defense and settle things down. If you notice he did pretty well at all of those things. Granted, he'll never be as flashy and athletic as some of the others but I know a redheaded kid who had a pretty nice Zag career doing just the basic things right. The Coaching staff and the other players and Davidson noticed his contributions also.

+1

Go!! Zags!!!

Zagpower
12-13-2009, 07:10 AM
I agree. I think Grant looks good and I'm not seeing any lack of athleticsm.

KSTATEZAG
12-13-2009, 07:34 AM
He's a intense competitor...doesn't give an inch. I like that.
Honestly his box score is similar to Matt's when we played Cinci (All rebounds and assists).
IMO he is truly a MB clone (remember Matt wasn't a fantastic shooter early on either).

spudzag
12-13-2009, 07:55 AM
I'd agree he played a solid game. Seems to me the assist total would have been even better as several passes he zipped to Sacre resulted in shooting fauls rather than a basket directly. He is also has solid handles, 3 turn overs with 3 assits is a pretty decent ratio. In some ways he acted like the point in the half court sets. Looks like Few and Co. have a lot of confidence in him, which at the end of the day is what counts. Go GG

HillBillyZag
12-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Sacre, in particular, commented on the way that Grant stood up and did his job. Things can and do change, but for right now, this fan thinks that Gibb's name is penciled in as Matt's heir apparent. When you consider he's just a redshirt freshman, he'll have plenty of time to grow into Bouldin's Adidas.

Kiddwell
12-13-2009, 10:44 AM
When you consider he's just a redshirt sophomore he'll have plenty of time to grow into Bouldin's Adidas.

Redshirt freshman, HillBilly. :)

:]

TacomaZAG
12-13-2009, 04:19 PM
he was asked to do last night. The thing that struck me a number of times yesterday was the fact that we had a number of line ups consisting of either 2 sophs and 3 frosh or 1 soph and 4 frosh.

Great stuff going on..............

Great stuff coming up.............

Go ZAGS

rdulay8
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
When you consider he's just a redshirt sophomore he'll have plenty of time to grow into Bouldin's Adidas.

They are actually the only ones on the team to wear Nike Air Zoom Kobe IV's... so GG really is "growing into MB's shoes"

ZagNative
12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
It's nice to see Grant finally getting some additions to his family's scrapbook of his time as a Zag, this one a fun shot from the Augustana game:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/SyMNIocKQVI/AAAAAAAADAA/Bd1rYV52LTg/s512/w009-12-09%20Grant%20Gibbs%20Augustana.jpg

Rangerzag
12-13-2009, 07:06 PM
It's nice to see Grant finally getting some additions to his family's scrapbook of his time as a Zag, this one a fun shot from the Augustana game:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/SyMNIocKQVI/AAAAAAAADAA/Bd1rYV52LTg/s512/w009-12-09%20Grant%20Gibbs%20Augustana.jpg

Thanks for getting this picture posted, ZN. It is excellent the way it shows entirely serious Grant looking his guy right square in the eye.

snebzag
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM
Just the facts Mam' (Joe Friday)
Nice Hillbilly. I thing GG is getting better everygame. Will contribute alot as time goes on. You can see his confidence grow. I'm seeing that with alot of the young guys. It is only December. Can you imagine what Feb and March can bring? Oh boy, Oh boy.

Zagineer
12-13-2009, 07:57 PM
I like Grant. Always have. From the day ZN posted this pic back in the LOI days.

http://i528.photobucket.com/albums/dd325/Zagineer/2007-11-18GrantinZagsSweatshirthead.jpg

There is much to look forward to. Not just for us, but for Grant also!

GO GG!

Rbo
12-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Grant looked solid in the BIS. Plus, he and Kelly O can definitely pass the ball.

ZagManFan
12-14-2009, 08:22 AM
K, have to say this because I have begged for someone other than Matt to give good entry passes. Grant has that great vision and his passes to the low post were a welcome sight in my eyes. He did a great job!!!!!

tinfoilzag
12-14-2009, 09:00 AM
Of the things Grant learns from Matt this year, I hope one is Matt's work ethic in the weight room. When GG sets picks, the other teams have just been blowing through them.

With that said, the poise showed by a redshirt freshman in his first start in BIS was fantastic.

cjm720
12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
GG has played so well when given the opportunity. I love the depth that Few has...speed demons in Meech and GJ, and controlled play by GG. The next few years are gonna be fun!!!

Go Zags!!!

UberZagFan
12-14-2009, 10:54 AM
I'd agree he played a solid game. Seems to me the assist total would have been even better as several passes he zipped to Sacre resulted in shooting fauls rather than a basket directly.

Agreed. Some nice passes also resulted in some easy looks that were missed (Uber remembers one missed bunny from KO on a nice entry pass--can't remember if the pass came from GG though).

007Zag
12-14-2009, 11:08 AM
The image that stuck most in my mind regarding GG was that amazing bounce pass he whipped down to sacre on the block from outisde the top of the three point line. The ball swung over from the left corner got in his hands and he put it on the money to Sacre. I actually agreed with Ehlo (first time in a while) when he said that typically a pass like that would be dangerous, but GG skipped it in so quick and authoritatively that I realized, dang, this kid is already good, and going to be even better.

Colbyspapa
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Without GG, Sacre and Harris don't have the huge stat days they had. 8 rebounds!!!! That is awesome!