PDA

View Full Version : So first time seeing the zags in person this year...

dawgfather11
12-13-2009, 12:51 AM
and I just don't understand how you aren't better than you are.... sacre is down right dominant and yet it seems alot of the night you guys just flat out ignored him. I just don't know what else to say about that I realize he had 20+ points put from my court side seas it just seemed that he didn't play that much any just wasn't gone to enough. He is flat out unstoppable down lown and if GU relied on him more they would be really good, but it almost feels like they don't trust him to carry the load or something along those lines...

MickMick
12-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Bobby: 23 points and 18 free throws. The guy guarding him fouled out.

The ball didn't go through him enough?

Huh?

WallaWallaZag
12-13-2009, 01:07 AM
not sure how much doggydad watches the zags, but sacre can't handle very much of the offense being run through him at this point. not a very good passer and not that great handles. also doesn't handle the double well right now. rob currently needs to get the ball where he only needs to make one move.

Robzagnut
12-13-2009, 05:07 AM
You also have to realize that Harris takes away many of his touches down low with his post play. Elias is little more polished at this point, but they form a formidable combo in the paint that GU fans haven't seen in a long time.

GoZags
12-13-2009, 06:46 AM
Two first half fouls (including the phantom blocking call) had Sacre on the bench for more than he'd normally sit.

maineblackbear
12-13-2009, 06:50 AM
part of the reason we don't look as dominant as we should is because the squad goes to sleep for portions of almost every game-- MSU, Wisc and Cincy excepted--virtually everyone else we play there are stretches where its almost like we completely lose focus. my .02 mbb

kitzbuel
12-13-2009, 07:21 AM
I think that Bobby will end up having a JP Batista type influence with Elias being the focal point of the offense in a manner similar to Ammo. Bobby will serve as an outlet for Elias and will take the defensive pressure off of him when teams try aggressively doubling him.

Jedster
12-13-2009, 07:40 AM
Wow...it's hard not to take that as veiled slam dressed as a compliment, but I'll take that as a compliment regardless! (You would be prettier if you didn't have such a big nose!)

You also have to remember, Rob is only a sophomore (redshirt at that) and this is the first season he's being relied on to be a scoring presence. For as good as he has been at times this year, he is still a work in progress. Scary to think how good he will be in the coming years (including later this year). You can see the growth and learning happening as the season has progressed. He was outstanding the first few games, and as teams have started to adjust, he is learning how to adjust, though it is taking a bit of time.

As another poster said, you need to also consider Elias. He is getting a number of touches too (a fair number that would go to Sacre if Elias wasn't here). There have also been times where we have had some struggles getting the ball into the post, either from trying to force it too much, or just learning how to get it there when teams are playing a certain way. This will come as we gain more experience.

Gonzaga is really trying to develop a number of different offensive weapons and ways to attack people, which I think is smart, as they have the personnel (though young) to do that. Look at the adjustments teams made after Maui and how we struggled a bit as we kept trying to get the ball inside to Sacre. Past teams we have had our "go to" guy and if they shut him down then we can struggle. IMO working hard on establishing these different ways to play will make us better come March as it will be harder to develop a scheme to stop us.

So, yes, you will see times when we will not look great, as we are a young team. I think in the long run this will make us a much better team and I am really excited! As Bobzag said in a different thread, with Matt out of the game, what you saw was a glimpse of the future, and really put into perspective how young we are.

NotoriousZ
12-13-2009, 08:46 AM
Sounds like a little Sacre envy, DF--what would the huskies look like if they had a post presence right now? Since you watched the game, you may have noticed that we've got two. I'm not worried about Rob's rebounding numbers either, if he's blocking out his man and one of our other fine rebounders picks up the ball, that's o.k. with me.

MDABE80
12-13-2009, 09:26 AM
DF's right. In cases like yesterday, Rob could put up 40 pts if he had the ball more. He's dominant in his size, athletics, attitude, ect. Hes also new to D1.
Further, though, Few knows that putting all the eggs in one basket isn't quite what he's looking for. Balance is always better as a team moves forward in a season. Rob could do tons more damage.... all by himself. He'd snag some wins too. I think it would ignore the rest of the team though.....

dawgfather11
12-13-2009, 09:57 AM
I just noticed that alot of times sacre just manhandled his defender and was wide open under the basket and the guards either missed him or didn't want to throw it down low. He was completly dominating them down low and I've seen him do it on TV even against better competition. He easily could have put up 40 last night if he got the ball when he was open. Elias harris looks really good to, although I noticed he channels his inner adam morrison and is a bit of a black hole sometimes. You guy's are really good from top to bottom. I was really impressed by bol kong he has a great looking shot but didn't play to much he should be a good one in a year or 2.

Rbo
12-13-2009, 10:10 AM
Two first half fouls (including the phantom blocking call) had Sacre on the bench for more than he'd normally sit.

I think that one dark haired ref was on the take. Seriously. Along with the phantom blocking call, he had two other horrendous calls. Few had most of his starters playing at the end, because I think he realized it was 6 against 5.

Jedster
12-13-2009, 01:19 PM
I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you DF, but I think Few is really trying to stress diversifying this offense, so in the short run he's bypassing running it all through Rob (even when it presents itself) and getting others involved. I was a bit worried a few games ago as teams really started to press on the inside and double Rob with how much we struggled. If Few can get people comfortable with shifting the focus both in game and between games for how the offense runs, it will make us a much better team in the long run. I agree...for the next few years, this team has tons of potential and are going to be scary good if they can get it all to click. Come March one-dimensional teams are much easier to defend and defeat.

El Voce
12-13-2009, 01:37 PM
How'd your Huskies do yesterday?

BroncoZAG615
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
Elias harris looks really good to, although I noticed he channels his inner adam morrison and is a bit of a black hole sometimes.

Explain please. I have no clue what this sentence means.

MickMick
12-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Explain please. I have no clue what this sentence means.

It means he would give anything if the UW had anything close to a paint presence like GU does.

BroncoZAG615
12-13-2009, 06:24 PM
It means he would give anything if the UW had anything close to a paint presence like GU does.

I just took it as wishing Abdul Gaddy would channel his inner... well something. It's nice to have freshmen rising to the task at GU.

maynard g krebs
12-13-2009, 10:51 PM
and I just don't understand how you aren't better than you are....

Hey, look over there....were you trying to be ironic? More likely an accident. Eight first year scholarship players, not even sniffing the top 25 to start the year, and exceeding the expectations of most.

Meanwhile, down by the lake, an experienced preseason top 15 team loaded with 4 and 5 star prospects is playing some downright ugly ratball. I just don't understand how they aren't better than they are.... nope, actually I do.

Zagineer
12-14-2009, 10:18 PM
and I just don't understand how you aren't better than you are.... sacre is down right dominant and yet it seems alot of the night you guys just flat out ignored him. I just don't know what else to say about that I realize he had 20+ points put from my court side seas it just seemed that he didn't play that much any just wasn't gone to enough. He is flat out unstoppable down lown and if GU relied on him more they would be really good, but it almost feels like they don't trust him to carry the load or something along those lines...

Why am I reminded of the phrase,.... "For a fat women, you sure don't sweat much."

aaaammmm,..... Thank you???

Just what color is the sky in the Husky world anyway? (Silly question on my part. It's obviously purple.) ;)