• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Steve Kelley on Sacre

I'm telling you, there's some laugh-out-loud stuff in this rare Steve Kelley piece on Sacre:
    Every day, in the summer swelter of Spokane, Robert Sacre woke up early, went into the gym and got beaten up one-on-one by a parade of some of the best big men in Gonzaga's basketball history.

One morning it would be Casey Calvary, another it would be Cory Violette and another it would be Richard Fox.

They pounded on Sacre, the Zags' 7-foot redshirt sophomore center, forced him to stand his ground and worked with him on developing a new repertoire of post moves, left-handed, right-handed shots soft as snow.

And while they got physical, Sacre found finesse. He developed a sweetness to his game. He grew into a force, a new weapon in Gonzaga's awesome arsenal.

"We needed him to score this year," Gonzaga coach Mark Few said after Saturday's 103-91 win over Davidson at KeyArena. "We needed him to develop a low-post game. Prior to this year, he never really had a whole lot of go-to moves.

"He's worked on his game harder than anybody on our team this summer, and it's great when you can see tangible evidence of it. It helps all our guys. He's a treasure."
    "It was one of those things where I just forced myself, whether I was tired or not, to get in the gym every morning," Sacre said. "I just got in the gym with a lot of ex-Zags and we would just play basketball, hard. These were big men who had been in my spot and knew what the system was all about.

"I played against Casey and that was like playing against a rock, and I played with [administrative assistant] Alex Hernandez. I think he was the dirtiest player in college basketball when he played, and he just beat on me and beat on me. I think that really got me ready."
    I'm not going to quote too much, because I'd need to paste all the gems, but I loved this:
    "We heard a quote yesterday about a bamboo plant," Sacre said. "You know, with a bamboo plant, you plant that bamboo and you just water it for three years and nothing will happen, nothing will happen and then the fourth year, it will grow 90 feet.

"That's how I feel about my game. You just have to keep working at it and working at it, and this just shows you that if you just work hard, good things will happen."
    • Feb 2007

Bobby Bamboo?

Steve Kelly's nice article on Bobby's summer work payoff.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Nice metaphor.
      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• HillBillyZag
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Great Post. ZN, Rob certainly deserves all the kudos he is receiving and he is only going to get better.
        [/QUOTE]“Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team.”
        ― Scottie Pippen

Comment

Working...
        X