PDA

View Full Version : Officiating

FuManShoes
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Sucked.

Agree?

Nevtelen
12-12-2009, 09:12 PM
Turned the game into a free-throw shooting contest. Not what officials should do.

MickMick
12-12-2009, 09:27 PM
How else should it have been called?

Davidson had no answer defensively for Sacre (18 free throws) and Harris (14 free throws).

Davidson had two choices.

1) Watch a layup drill

2) Foul

They chose option 2.

Unbelievable to me that there is complaining about how the game was called.

NotoriousZ
12-12-2009, 09:32 PM
The only bad call I noticed was when they gave Harris the NBA continuation on the three point play early in the game.

VinnyZag
12-12-2009, 09:35 PM
I was sitting as far away from the court as you could get while still being inside the arena, so my vantage point wasn't the greatest. But it looked like at least a couple calls against Gray were ticky-tacky.

NovaZag
12-12-2009, 11:18 PM
These refs weren't nearly as bad as the ones officiating the Wake Forest game. They called it close, which worked to our advantage, I think.

WallaWallaZag
12-13-2009, 01:02 AM
overall not too bad...missed a couple obvious ones on dunk attempts by sacre and harris.

ZagMania
12-13-2009, 06:20 AM
I only got one replay of it but Kong's block looked mighty clean to me, seemed like an anticipation foul. The Harris continuation was obviously a bad call, a bunch of bad block/charge decisions. Unfortunately, they weren't much worse than most college basketball refs.

FuManShoes
12-13-2009, 09:35 AM
This is what I'm talking about: the numerous blown block/charge calls, the ticky tacks on Steven, the lack of traveling calls when Davidson's guards were on roller skates, the parade of fouls at the end - and not the ones Davidson was trying for. It was a close game but I was there and honestly it wasn't a whole lot of fun. Credit to McKillip's boys for shooting lights out, cutting with abandon and making the Zags earn it at the line, but I thought the refs missed a lot of calls and needlsdly allowed that game to drag on and on.

rijman
12-13-2009, 09:51 AM
The refs clearly missed some calls, which happens every game. I especially was upset with the Sacre blocking call which gave him his 2nd foul and sent him to the bench for the rest of the first half.

BUT, bottom line, Gonzaga 54 FT attempts, Davidson 27. Can't complain about that.

Rbo
12-13-2009, 10:13 AM
I already posted this on another link, but the one dark-haired ref made three horrendous calls, including the phantom block call on Sacre. I think he wanted to see Davidson cover the spread. Maybe I watch too much 60 Minutes.

zag944
12-13-2009, 10:54 AM
i didnt like the way they called the game, but at least they were consistent, which is more than you can say for a whole lot of crews.

college bb games shouldnt be 2.5 hours without OTs though. I was feeling my hangover midway through the 2nd half that game was so long.

Rangerzag
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Oficihating!

gueastcoast
12-13-2009, 02:04 PM
Hard to get worked up about officiating when a) we win handily and b) the refs are consistent. Agree with the points about too many FTs and general flow of the game, but as long as a given approach doesn't have a material impact on the outcome, the players need to adapt -- it's part of learning to compete at this level.

Now, if you want to talk about changing a game (Wake Forest), then, that's a different conversation....

zagzilla
12-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Officiating was just fine. A few missed calls here and there but nothing that changed to outcome. Worst call ofthe day was in our favor-Harris' "continuation"

I guess this board isn't happy if it isn't bellyaching about something.

Zags are 8-2. Smiles people!!:)

Nevtelen
12-13-2009, 07:20 PM
The problem I had with the officiating was that they called every single little ticky-tack possible foul they could and turned the game into a parade of FTs. Yes, they were fouls, but in most games vs major conference teams a lot of them would go uncalled IMO. I'd rather the Zags get used to playing through and dishing out those kinds of fouls rather than going to the FT line every trip down the floor.

OTOH, they were completely consistent, I'll give them that.

stevet75
12-13-2009, 07:32 PM
Has there ever been a game of anything, anywhere, that someone hasn't questioned the officiating. We won the game, and the officiating was average, that's good enough for me.