PDA

View Full Version : Zags vs Davidson...Wow! What a game

Reborn
12-12-2009, 06:57 PM
Who'd ever have thought we would win 103-91 with Matt out, and that Meech would get 22 pts and 3 guys would score 20 pts. Congrats to a very entertaining win. Or who'd guess we'd shoot 53 free thows and make 41. Basketball, and the Zags, never ceases to amaze me.

I thougt Meech was incredible, and played the way I'd hope a point guard would play...still WAY to many turnovers though, but at least he was playing ball. And Harris is back and really stepped it up, but I kind of expected that from him. A good game for Robert. It would have been great with a few more made Free Throws and about 5 boards. I hope Meech will continue to play this way, and thus quiet the noise over the point guard position. I'm not sure why Few didn't play Kong more because he looked really good to me, and way better than Gibbs. Kong continues to impress me. Wish he'd play more.

A very impressive game. One I will remember because 1) Matt was out and we didn't panic. 2) We scored 100. 3) Meech really stepped it up big time in Matt's absence. 4) Great 3 pt shooting by Davidson as one might expect. Who would think that a team could make 14 three point shots and lose. Amazng!!!!

alaskazagnut
12-12-2009, 08:05 PM
but I would expect to beat any team with a 1-6 record and an RPI of 164 and who lost at their home to a team with an RPI of 207. Especially when we had an 80% home crowd without traveling several time-zones.

It was a great game and we shot, rebounded, and FT'd like we should have against Wake F.

Now they need to maintain that intensity and percentages for a season defining game against Duke.

I pray we bring to Madison Square Gardens what we brought to Seattle, then add in a little Matt Bouldin, and I predict a victory!!!!!

fedwayzag
12-12-2009, 08:12 PM
I purposely watched Meech in warm ups to view his shot. From my nose bleed seat, he has very good form with follow through and good rotation. He shot looked really nice.He then went on to make what 11-14 free throws with the same form, follow through and rotation. Maybe this will give him some confidence in his shot. I think if he begins taking and making the shots given him it might help out his turnover numbers as well. Hope this comes to light.

rijman
12-12-2009, 08:51 PM
With Bouldin out Sacre, Harris and Meech have career scoring games. They picked a good night to light it up. Coming into the game the Zags were 9th in the nation in FT attemps and 6th in FT's made, they should move up after tonight with 54 attempts and 41 made. I was thrilled with the game except for giving up 91 points to a team that averages less than 70.

I hope Bouldin will be ready to go against Duke.

NovaZag
12-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Meech really stepped it up in the 2nd half. Not only his scoring (and free throw shooting!) but also had some sweet passes. I was really impressed with him tonight.

We saw the team's offensive potential, but our perimeter defense was a joke. Defense like that will put us in the losers circle when we play teams like Portland, Duke, Oklahoma, and Saint Mary's. It's good to see that we can score, but we need to combine tonight's offense with the defense we played against Cincy if we are going to make a deep run in March. That includes rebounding.

Reborn
12-12-2009, 09:05 PM
The crowd appeared to be really good. Was it? Was it loud? It looked great on TV. I think Heister said 12,000.

VinnyZag
12-12-2009, 09:40 PM
Heister, as usual, was full of it. KeyArena was so empty, for a second I thought the Sonics were playing.

Meech was just way too quick for those Davidson kids. He overwhelmed them athletically. But he had six turnovers, many of the head-slapping variety, and for some reason he couldn't stick with Coach's Kid. I mean, I know he scored 22 points, but I was actually more uneasy about his play after this game than I have been previously (and I've been a defender of his before).

MEZAG
12-12-2009, 10:45 PM
Heister, as usual, was full of it. KeyArena was so empty, for a second I thought the Sonics were playing.

Meech was just way too quick for those Davidson kids. He overwhelmed them athletically. But he had six turnovers, many of the head-slapping variety, and for some reason he couldn't stick with Coach's Kid. I mean, I know he scored 22 points, but I was actually more uneasy about his play after this game than I have been previously (and I've been a defender of his before).

The coach's kid was hitting from 29 feet on pure adrenaline. McKillop would be draining those threes in an NBA game cause no one is going to defend him out there. He hit a few adrenaline charged threes and then he was done for the rest of the game. I think Meech will tear through the Dukies just like he did Davidson if he plays like he did tonight. If you are blazing at 4.3 40 speed with the ball 9 times out of ten you are going to make the opposing team break ankles and lose their jockstraps, however you will turn it over at a slightly higher rate. IMHO this was Meech's best game yet. See the forest for the trees.

seasontixholder
12-12-2009, 11:04 PM
Granted, Meech DID score a lot of cheap buckets that he won't get against elites. However, one of the best things to come out of the BIS was his demonstration in a game situation - if only at the line, and if only to himself - that he has the potential to become a good shooter. That, more than anything is important to get Meech over the hump, and it will affect the rest of his game positively. Still growing.

The increased turnovers? Not worried. This game was an anomaly in many aspects, due to the style of the game, the intelligence of the competition, and the lack of MB.

One product of the game: coaches will spend more time specifically addressing how to stop him as job 1.

VinnyZag
12-13-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah, it's possible I'm being too negative about his play today. He DID score 22 and had a nice assist to Sacre near the end. I'll be interested to see how he performs against Duke on Saturday and against Illinois, Oklahoma and Memphis later in the year. I'm still a confirmed Meech fan.

WallaWallaZag
12-13-2009, 12:46 AM
i'm also a meech fan but am still worried even after his nice game today...he scored, but none of his points came on jumpers with any distance. most of his points came close to the rim and those won't be as easy to come by against elite teams with quicker, bigger guards and bigs that can block shots. still, it had to be a good game for his confidence and gave us a preview of what to expect next year.

seasontixholder
12-13-2009, 02:09 AM
The problem with young guys is that they are still thinking. It affects their shooting and decision making at this point in their careers. Manny and KO are still adjusting to their roles as complementors, but Meech is most affected, imo, especially with his hesitance to shoot from outside. When he reacts instead of thinks - such as that time when he found himself stymied on the rightside baseline - his shot is a good one.

If he gets it going, his game will sorta resemble Isiah Thomas', only on steroids.

Reborn
12-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I think Meech really stepped up big time. Matt was out, and my first thought was, "Who's going to pick up his 18 pts?" I never thought of Meech that's for sure. He made some incredible plays, and really shot great from the foul line, which he has not done this year so far.

It was also great to see Sacre step up. He shot 18 free throws. Wow! He was working his behind off all night long, and he was really getting banged in there all night. I thought both he and Harris were passing much better last night out of the double-teams.

I think that Few may have seen that the team can function well without Matt. I think that that's really good news because maybe now he will begin to rest Matt occasionally. Matt, and all players, need some rest.