PDA

View Full Version : Campus visit -- PMAC

GoZags
04-18-2007, 06:23 AM
If you recall, Pierre-Marie Altidor Cespedes arrived at GU relatively late in the recruiting "game". Sure, BobZag may have dropped some cryptic hints but PMAC was certainly under the radar.

Although schools like Kentucky WERE interested, he had official scholarship offers from Georgia and Xavier when he visited Gonzaga's campus in August of '04.

Father Spitzer was advised that Pierre-Marie and his father wanted to meet with him, personally, to be part of their decision making process. As Father told me -- he was a bit worried -- he wanted to make sure Billy was also there -- Father Spitzer couldn't begin to fathom what to say about things like practice, playing time, hoops expectations, etc. As it happens, he didn't need to worry about that.

PMAC and his father had some specific things they were seeking (at least his dad did). His father, a native Haitian, had emigrated to Canada and was educated by the Jesuits. He appreciated the no-nonsense approach to education. He appreciated the values. He wanted to make sure the school was a good fit for his son -- so his son could have a great education. So that's what they talked about. Class size. School ratings. Feedback on professors. Campus atmosphere. He wanted to make sure (as all parents do) that their school choice was a good "fit". Father Spitzer was "grilled" for quite some time (to his delight) and was able to answer their questions.

Pierre-Marie Altidor Cespedes (and his father) decided that Gonzaga was the "fit" for them. A few weeks later, he arrived as a freshman.

PMAC will graduate from Gonzaga next month. He did it in three years. From my perspective -- he's been a great addition to the Gonzaga family. He's been a great teammate, a great student, and a great Zag.

He's gotten the education he and his father were looking for. I wish him the very best as he takes the next step -- be it Grad school and hoops at another school or playing basketball overseas professionally.

He's a class guy. I'm glad he's a Zag.

thickman1
04-18-2007, 06:30 AM
Great post. Thanks for sharing that.

former1dog
04-18-2007, 07:21 AM
Great post. Thanks for sharing that.

Ditto.

lawzag
04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
Well aparantly the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
I knew P-Mac was a total class act (and a smart guy to boot), now I also know where the values, dedication and respect originated.

Clearly, his father had his priorities in order and taught P-mac the same thing.

Way to go dad!! :o

gamagin
04-18-2007, 09:37 AM
that was a really nice story, well told. thank you !

I wish it were incoroporated into the other 3-4 PMAC threads. Unsure why there isn't a rule about that. It would be nice to follow a series of posts from one end to the other on this blog. mayube someday.

Zag79
04-18-2007, 08:31 PM
P was definatley one of those "great guy on the court, but better off of it" kinda guys. he will missed at GU in general.

DenDiegoZag
04-19-2007, 08:47 AM
He wanted to make sure the school was a good fit for his son -- so his son could have a great education. So that's what they talked about. Class size. School ratings. Feedback on professors. Campus atmosphere. He wanted to make sure (as all parents do) that their school choice was a good "fit". Father Spitzer was "grilled" for quite some time (to his delight) and was able to answer their questions.

Talk about putting Fr. Spitzer right in his "element..." When it was all over, I bet that Piere and his father may have "tapped out" before Father was ready to stop singing the praises of GU...What a great man...

roxdoc
04-19-2007, 09:18 AM
When I first started lurking several years ago a number of posters were asking who the masterful and mysterious Bob Zag was. For a moment it crossed my mind that Bob Zag was Fr. Spitzers alias for this board...:D

Zagquette
04-19-2007, 09:59 AM
I hope that his fellow Zags give him a "senior night" ovation at the graduation ceremony. Since he wont have a chance to do it at the Kennel.

Peace

BoZarth
04-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I was looking forward to PMac contributing next year. His defense was a great asset and I always felt there was more he could do offensively.

I wish him luck wherever he may land.

Thanks Pierre-Marie Altidor Cespedes.

primal23
04-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Will miss you PMAC! Best of luck in all your future endevours.

ZigZagSoCal
04-19-2007, 09:59 PM
I was always captivated by his blazing speed. Always rooted for him, especially this year. We all knew he had loads of talent and skills to boot. I was really hoping next year's team would relight his fire again and give him an explosive year. Hear's hoping that will still happen with the lucky team that gets him. Merci PMAC!

sonuvazag
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
Interesting parallel between this story and what was related to us a month ago about how Frank Burgess came to choose Gonzaga. Like many of us, I was hoping for a solution to PMAC's difficulties here, but it sounds like there's too much going for him to hold him down. The cream always rises to the top.