PDA

View Full Version : A Glimpse - The Rough Draft

BobZag
12-12-2009, 05:21 PM
What we fans saw in the Battle in Seattle was a glimpse of next year's Zags (a rough draft), but next year's team won't be tossed together all of a sudden due to a key injury, so it'll be much better and more polished. Plus, most of these newbies will be more seasoned and will have made that frosh to soph leap.

I like how the future looks.

Meanwhile, heal up, Matt... Bear down on finals. Then get amped for the Dukies.

MickMick
12-12-2009, 05:36 PM
Grant will do fine in Matt's place.

Kong is on the verge of big things this season. Arop looks better all of the time.

Villarino is still a year away.

MedZag
12-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Grant will do fine in Matt's place.

Kong is on the verge of big things this season. Arop looks better all of the time.

Villarino is still a year away.

+4

gozags09
12-12-2009, 05:58 PM
Meech, Gray, Gibbs, Rob, Kong, Harris (I hope)...Olynyk, Dower, Arop.... Zags will be #10 pre-season with a bullet!! I like the future and the present...

btzag
12-12-2009, 06:18 PM
Top 10 pre-season? I might even say top 5...

This team should go 11 deep with huge skills all over the court! I mean when Arop and Kong hit their groove, Vilarino makes a big frosh to soph jump, Meech gains more control, Gibbs and Olynyk more seasoning, and then add in Dower and more Poling. And that's not even mentioning the top guys Gray, Harris, and Sacre and the improvements that they should make.

Honestly should be the best Zag team ever. Period.

dim4sum
12-12-2009, 06:36 PM
I think Poling deserves more of a shot when Sacre isn't boarding, which he wasn't until the very end. I haven't seen any practice sessions, but maybe Poling just isn't doing it in practice and is being punished for it?

El Voce
12-12-2009, 06:36 PM
The Voice suggests that we thoroughly enjoy this year before we worry about next season. Just sayin'.

Reborn
12-12-2009, 06:40 PM
The Voice suggests that we thoroughly enjoy this year before we worry about next season. Just sayin'.

Totally agree, but as some say, this board is BZ's front room.:D

BoZarth
12-12-2009, 06:55 PM
I think Poling deserves more of a shot when Sacre isn't boarding, which he wasn't until the very end. I haven't seen any practice sessions, but maybe Poling just isn't doing it in practice and is being punished for it?

Um, Rob scored 23 points after shooting 100% from the field. Maybe he needs to go Moses Malone and play volleyball with the glass to boost his rebound totals?

vandalzag
12-12-2009, 08:13 PM
Good showing by the boys. Bouldin had been making life too easy on the young ones. Great opportunity for them to step up without the safety net, hopefully today will spur some growth and take away from the waiting for Bouldin to make something happen that tends to bog the team down.

MickMick
12-12-2009, 08:27 PM
If Steven plays like this consistently, I like the Zag's chances against anybody.

CDC84
12-12-2009, 09:03 PM
What I saw out there was a very athletic team with what could be an absolutely dominant frontcourt rotation next year with Sacre, Harris, Dower and Olynyk. Just imagine how good all those frontcourt guys will be after their experiences this year and an offseason of weight room work and skill development.

BobZag
12-13-2009, 09:08 AM
What I saw out there was a very athletic team with what could be an absolutely dominant frontcourt rotation next year with Sacre, Harris, Dower and Olynyk. Just imagine how good all those frontcourt guys will be after their experiences this year and an offseason of weight room work and skill development.

Same can be said for the backcourt. Arop will improve. Kong will improve. Ditto for Gibbs. Meech will get better. Gray should be steadier, ala Bouldin. The beat goes on.

Coaches just might pull off a surprise to bolster next year's squad.

As for the swiss cheese defense we saw yesterday... I chalk that up to Matt's absence and a dip in leadership out there, so it didn't surprise me.

The 103 points put up by this patchwork group bodes real well. That's the most points by a Zag team since 2001. All without Matt.

Love the future.

(There's a weeklong break between games, it's okay to chat about next year and other side bar topics.)

MDABE80
12-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Know who's coming back? Everyone but Matt and big Will. Nice huh? What we saw yesterday was a group wokring out for next year. Give those kids another 20 games to develop this year, get braced for a FF run next season...if Few can figure out how to keep Elias in the fold. More talent than last year's group.....says a lot.

TacomaZAG
12-13-2009, 04:27 PM
consisting of 2 sophs and 3 frosh or 1 soph and 4 frosh. The future is very bright.

I'm not sure about Poling, at least not yet. He hasn't gotten many minutes but I don't think he will until he can make a free throw. He is about 1 for 10 this year, with the nine misses being major bricks. If he plays many minutes, get ready for the ZAG version of "hack a Shaq". He is too much of an offensive liability right now to get many minutes, especially with Bol, Manny, and Kelly playing well in reserve for Rob and Elias.

Go ZAGS

TexasZagFan
12-13-2009, 04:53 PM
consisting of 2 sophs and 3 frosh or 1 soph and 4 frosh. The future is very bright.

I'm not sure about Poling, at least not yet. He hasn't gotten many minutes but I don't think he will until he can make a free throw. He is about 1 for 10 this year, with the nine misses being major bricks. If he plays many minutes, get ready for the ZAG version of "hack a Shaq". He is too much of an offensive liability right now to get many minutes, especially with Bol, Manny, and Kelly playing well in reserve for Rob and Elias.

Go ZAGS

Poling and the other bigs need to be ready. They're a rolled ankle or a couple of quick fouls from being pressed into service. I'm worried about overzealous officiating during WCC play, and oodles of ticky-tack fouls.

BobZag
12-13-2009, 05:20 PM
Poling and the other bigs need to be ready. They're a rolled ankle or a couple of quick fouls from being pressed into service. I'm worried about overzealous officiating during WCC play, and oodles of ticky-tack fouls.

And flopping, lots of flopping.