PDA

View Full Version : GUnit of The Game - Davidson - 12.12.2009

RenoZag
12-12-2009, 05:19 PM
The Battle in Seattle provided an entertaining game for a cold winter night. The Zags survived, the bench got some good experience, and Matty B watched from the sidelines in street clothes. Davidson drained a bunch of 3's but it wasn't enough to over come 4 Zags in double figures: Harris, Goodson, and Sacre notched Zag career highs in points + Steven Gray.

And Zag 77 will probably be happy with the FT % (or am I kidding myself ? ;) )

So who's your Gunit, Zag Nation ? And why ?

Ezag
12-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Not a bad game. Guys that needed to step up, stepped up: Gray, Goodson, Sacre, Harris all did their part. Gibbs showed some good flashes, Olynyk had some nice plays.

gamagin
12-12-2009, 05:29 PM
a team challenge.

ragged beginning, recovery and some serious gelling.

Perhaps best of all, those damned free throws started dropping and kept dropping.

We learned Meech can shoot, too !

BIG deal.

Go TEAM Zags !

BobZag
12-12-2009, 05:31 PM
I voted Meech, but really, Rob and Elias were all equal. Meech really turned it around, I liked that.

MickMick
12-12-2009, 05:32 PM
Gray played lights out, but Harris played better.

Meech had some early turnovers but otherwise played very well. I would like to see Rob do better on the boards but he played very well on the offensive end.

The team defense was off, but credit great coaching and even better shooting by Davidson. They will stay close with anyone when they shoot from range like that.

maineblackbear
12-12-2009, 05:33 PM
yeah, BZ, I could see Meech---kind of a most improved kind of thing- but i went with Harris. Serious chops, man. Gray great in second half, Bol looks like when he gets his defensive end together his upside is unfathomable. Wow. Davidson played ok-- we kind of slacked off defensively for minutes at a time and went to sleep in the first half for awhile-- but a win is a win and we looked pretty good much of the second half.

MedZag
12-12-2009, 05:34 PM
Elias was doing what. ever. he. wanted. out there... except for make FTs. He was the best player on the court tonight by far.

That being said, I consider the GUnit much more than a simple "best player" award... and I give the nod to Meech for his "unexpected" 20+ point explosion.

Zag4Hire
12-12-2009, 05:35 PM
You are kidding yourself if Harris isn't your Player of the Game. Gray had some great shooting, Meech made some good plays, and Sacre had some great moments but Harris was very dominant from the opening tip to the final horn.

Zagnailler
12-12-2009, 05:37 PM
Harris, but Meech, SG and GG also stepped up big time.

gozags09
12-12-2009, 05:45 PM
Meech stepped up big time. You knew Harris and Sacre were going to get theirs....but this could be confidence booster Meech needed for the rest of the season. Kong is going to be huge. In spite of not matching the shooting he had against Wake....the kid is going to be a gamer. He gave great minutes to the team tonight...unpolished...but a gem in the rough...

2wiceright
12-12-2009, 06:00 PM
There were a lot of career high games among Harris, Sacre, and Meech. The big difference was it was so important tonight for Meech to show he can be a scorer as well as defender, and took good care of the ball* (*after four first half turnovers which made me real nervous!).

Bottom line, Meech came thru big tonight!

Bocco
12-12-2009, 06:13 PM
I went with Meech, but it just as well could have been Harris.

Rbo
12-12-2009, 06:15 PM
Harris was great but had some lapses. Meech gave 125% the entire time he was on the court. If you saw the whole court, he would get your vote.

bballbeachbum
12-12-2009, 06:21 PM
multiple game balls tonight...TEAM!

Ole Roy
12-12-2009, 06:27 PM
:D Bobby played 21 min. and scored 23 points. Go big guy

dim4sum
12-12-2009, 06:45 PM
His one board performance tonight won't work against the Plumlee twins next week at MSG. It has to be a double-double. You can't expect a PG like Grant to carry the load (he had 8 tonight). Sacre has to want to rebound more and take a proprietary attitude about any shot that goes up ala Brockman last year. Board, board, board and the kingdom of a top ten ranking shall be thine.

RenoZag
12-12-2009, 07:02 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2668/4180683248_b86b40fee6_o.jpg

MickMick
12-12-2009, 07:19 PM
I guess I never definitively stated that Harris got my vote in an earlier post.

Kong gets more minutes than Arop and the same amount of minutes as KO.

There may come a point where he is first one off of the bench.

Davidson was unconscious from three and Zags held up. The Wildcats had no answer defensively for Sacre and Harris and had to resort to hacking inside. I think this is an excellent snapshot on how the game against Duke (or even Portalnd) might unfold.

tyra
12-12-2009, 07:29 PM
Meech scored a career high tonight. He did that in part because Matt was out. His normal role is to score by penetrating, play the best ball on ball defense in the nation and provide speed that mere human eyes have a hard time following. His role is NOT (normally) to score or even to be a "play maker" for that matter. I am more concerned over the long term about having him control his turnovers than upping his assists. Just because he is a "point guard" doesn't mean the offense runs through him; it doesn't. Oh, yes, I voted for him. Career high points and another all-hustle defensive effort.

vandalzag
12-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Goodson got my vote. He did what he had to do and that was be aggressive and he made his FT's. Now if we can get the assist to turn over line reversed it would be a land full of unicorns and rainbows. Still a work in progress at the point but he stepped up big tonight.

ZagMan in Philly
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Meech! I love his aggressiveness for driving to the hoop all night long. He used his quickness to his advantage, this will be the key to next week's game against Duke, as they have no one that can guard him off the dribble.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/zoom/html/2010494599.html

fedwayzag
12-12-2009, 08:23 PM
Have to go with Harris. He was a beast tonight. I called my brother after teh game. He watched on TV while I went to the game. He said Harris did not stand out. Had a "quite" 27 pts. I will take that any day. He is tough as nails.

Horned Frog
12-12-2009, 08:36 PM
I was sitting behind the basket and could see Meech drive toward me, seeing the potential opening, and pushing the ball so fast that Davidson couldn't stop him. His speed pushing the ball up the court was amazing to watch.

ZagsGoZags
12-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Harris gets touches on every play it seems
He is like a heat seeking missile, with the basket and ball as the target
and the team doesn't even run its offense through him

Selfishly, I am sad to see him making 3's, because when he accomplishes a sufficient % on those I fear he will move up to the NBA

To a far fewer extent he reminds me of Dennis Rodman in his defensive and rebounding play, and has more offense, and without the antics, but the intangibles for the team, like Rodman are terrific -- Like Phil Jackson said, the most athletically gifted player to ever play for him

I don't know how Harris does it, awkwardly sometimes, but he just gets in on every play -- that's what it feels like. I think playing without Elias is tougher for our team than playing without Matt, and I realize Wake Forest was a much tougher opponent, but I still think so.

He is usually in the middle of the action, wherever it is, or else he starts making the action right where he is

If all five of our men on the court would go to the hoop as fearlessly as he does, the opponents big men would be fouled out by halftime. We wouldn't even have to pass the ball around anymore. Just pass it to anybody within 20 feet of the hoop, and watch the destruction derby begin

jim77
12-12-2009, 09:07 PM
Meech.

Nevtelen
12-12-2009, 09:11 PM
Meech, because he stepped so far out of what he had been asked to do thus far in the season and overall did it well. Rob was great, but 1 rebound? Really? What is it with the big men in this program lately?

Harris was also a stud, no question, but I felt that Meech reached deeper and changed more to accomplish what he did. Harris just played his game, though, granted, it was phenomenal.

Mantua
12-12-2009, 09:15 PM
Harris was the excetional player on the court. I did want to give Meech a fraction of the vote. He and Rob played great. GG with 8 rebounds! The thought of matt not being there next year is hard to take, but we were looking at next year's team tonight and they looked fantastic.

NotoriousZ
12-12-2009, 09:38 PM
Harris gets my vote. D and O, a very tough kid. Sacre, Meech, Steven - Great Job!

Yep.

TerpZag
12-12-2009, 09:50 PM
It was great to finally see this young Zag team in person today. We were disappointed though that we did not see Matty B on the court today in his final season.

Elias Harris gets my vote for GUnit today. Elias is as impressive in person as he has been on TV. Making shots both inside and outside and handling the ball in the open court. Harris just has a fine overall game.

Robert Sacre, Steven Gray and even Grant Gibbs, with his rebounding and passing, all had very good games today as well.

From my vantage point today, I thought that Meech, despite his ability to drive to the basket and score, was playing for the most part out of control. Too many turnovers, too few assists and he seemed to be always out of position defensively as the Davidson guards were hitting from the outside at will.

In any case, Go Zags beat the Blue Devils!!!

gozagswoohoo
12-12-2009, 11:20 PM
I went with Harris. I LOVED Meech and his agressiveness tonight, but seriously.....am I the only one that feels like when I watch Harris do his thing, it's like a guy in his late 20's playing with 19-20 year olds?? Know what I mean? He is just a man among boys.

UberZagFan
12-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Uber's vote goes to Meech. He is usually the fastest player on the court. Last night he showed what a benefit that is.