PDA

View Full Version : college basketball tickets.. holy bajesus.

CodeCobalt
12-11-2009, 05:35 AM
Sorry to rant but I'm an east coast zags fan and don't get to see them live often at all. So they are gonna be a few hours away from me at Madison square garden on the 19th. It's over $100 for a decent seat, even in the second section back (not row) its $450 a ticket.... how the heck is college ball so expensive? I could go to a celtics game for less.

cjm720
12-11-2009, 06:59 AM
Do those prices include tix to both game? (assuming there's two games like a couple years ago - Duke v. GU, Seton Hall v. Virginia Tech).

Either way...yeah ridiculous.

LongIslandZagFan
12-11-2009, 07:09 AM
Blame it on the Dukie fans. NYC is littered with them. They are driving up demand.

Spike94
12-11-2009, 08:16 AM
I know it sucks. Don't you think that GU would charge that much for games at the Kennel if they could get it? Sure they would. They know what they can charge and still fill the gym. They just know that if they charged 100 bucks a seat, they wouldn't get enough people in the MAC. Simple supply and demand.

Zag 77
12-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Actually it was a pleasant surprise that those of us that re-upped for GU season tickets found that the net price went down because the MAC is paid off now (face value price per game did not go up, either). So, let us give GU a little credit for that.

FuManShoes
12-11-2009, 08:24 AM
I think the GU-Oklahoma tix are even more ridiculous. $65 for rafters, $100+ for lower bowl. The Spokane Arena isn't MSG and Oklahoma isn't Duke. Maybe you guys got tix for less, but I passed.

ID ZAGFAN
12-11-2009, 08:36 AM
The cost to join the Bulldog Club (and possibly buy tickets to McCarthey Center if available) went from $200 to $250. And the cost of the tickets if you can get through to buy them went from $20 to $25. I thought a 25% increase in both was a little steep. :(

So far, the cost of the 6 tickets (3 games) we have been able to get has been $400.

I know, I know.... the $250 to the Bulldog Club is a donation to the University, but we wouldn't be making it without the chance to buy tickets.

ID ZAGFAN

rijman
12-11-2009, 08:37 AM
A couple years ago my dad and I looked into the GU game at MSG and I went on-line when there were still tickets available. I was pleasantly surprised at the affordable ticket prices until I found out the seats were literally in the top row. The top row at the Kennel is a good seat, not so good at MSG I am told, so we passed.

Zag 77
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
I just meant the ticket package for we proletarians who signed up when the MAC opened and renewed this past summer.

outrunu
12-11-2009, 09:06 AM
I think the GU-Oklahoma tix are even more ridiculous. $65 for rafters, $100+ for lower bowl. The Spokane Arena isn't MSG and Oklahoma isn't Duke. Maybe you guys got tix for less, but I passed.

It will be the one game I get to see this year, but yes I dumped $90 per for a game at the Collesium. I assume it's because of the RMH charity?

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I got my tickets through the alumni association. They're not great seats, but they're in the second section for $68/ticket. The Gonzaga athletic department also had some tickets, although I don't know what they were charging for them.

I wonder if Duke is discounting tickets for their alumni the way Gonzaga did.

HOOTER
12-11-2009, 04:20 PM

I passed as well. Charity or not, $65 a seat ($74.75 with "convenience fees" if you don't purchase directly at the arena:rolleyes:) is way too much to ask, especially with the economy and the holidays. We all know even though this if for a good cause, there's gotta be some folks making a pretty penny on this game. Maybe they're trying to keep the unwashed masses from being able to attend. I guess that would include me. ;)

NYCZAG
12-11-2009, 05:08 PM
Don't blame it on the DUKE FANS HAHA-IT's MSG all GAMES ARE EXPENSIVE and you can't go to a KNICKS game for less than that!-The college games that are cheapest are the first two days of the BIG EAST TOURNEY-I go all week when it's going on and the first two days are super cheap and empty during the day and busier at night-Look at the KENTUCKY-UCONN game it was mobbed and tickets were really expensive-The other problem in NYC is scalpers and ticket agencies buy them up and turn around and sell them for a profit-You have to buy the first day from ticketmaster-I paid 68 dollars a seat and am in the first row back across from the bench-Good Luck there are a lot of DUKE FANS in NYC and they will be all over the place-

lawzag
12-11-2009, 05:29 PM
folks college basketball tix (as long as your discussing top programs like GU) are expensive EVERYWHERE - they were $75 per seat, per game at the Maui Invitational - and that was for general admission seating (requiring at least 1-2 hrs in line prior to the game to even get a seat) & the seats were "first come first serve".

So its just a matter of whether you want to see them play bad enough or not. Because programs like Duke & Gonzaga have such a huge loyal following - the promoters - whoever those promoters my be for any given game, ask for the highest price the market will bare.

HOOTER
12-11-2009, 05:56 PM
So its just a matter of whether you want to see them play bad enough or not.

It's a matter of whether you can afford it or not. There's no way I can afford $130 for my wife and I to attend a 2 hour basketball game, especially when I can watch it in HD from my comfortable living room. The people that are alright with this are the folks who have expendable income. Deny it if you want, but if you can afford to spend $130 minimum for a pair of basketball tickets during the holidays in this economy, your doing pretty well financially. That I have no problem with. It's the fact that someone actually thinks it's acceptable to financially rape folks under the guise of charity. Is RMH getting more money because tickets are more expensive than ever? Even if they are, I guarantee it's disproportionate to the actual percentage of increase per ticket. Someone is lining their pockets, no question. At least the well off folks at the game won't have to deal with the unwashed masses that once upon a time could afford to attend one Gonzaga game every season. They may even be lucky enough to have empty seats near them to put their feet up on or to store their coats.

zag70
12-11-2009, 07:22 PM
well put Hooter....but at least you have a HD......keep it as corporate Spokane takes over the McCarthy Center

asoc
12-11-2009, 11:43 PM
Just a quick comment on sports, mostly professional, in general.

I think teams are too often only looked at as a business and not as something owned (in the hearts) by the local community. I think team owners and leagues need to really get away from the greed, and look at the team as a way to help foster community pride. And the fans should really feel a sense of ownership with the teams and communities should be treated better by the greedy owners.

I feel that the fans are often times the ones left out when the owners and players go to work. The players need to realize it isn't about them, its about the fans. The owners need to realize they aren't their to simply make money, they are there to act as stewards of a community asset.

College Sports don't have as big of an issue with this compared to the big Professional sports leagues and teams, but as can be seen in this discussion it isn't exempt from it either.

kitzbuel
12-12-2009, 04:58 AM
I got my tickets through the alumni association. They're not great seats, but they're in the second section for $68/ticket. The Gonzaga athletic department also had some tickets, although I don't know what they were charging for them.

I wonder if Duke is discounting tickets for their alumni the way Gonzaga did.
Prices through the Duke ticket office were the same as GU. I got mine through my cousin's wife who is a Dukie. Duke had their tickets available much sooner then GU did, though.

LynetteG
12-12-2009, 09:57 AM
Prices through the Duke ticket office were the same as GU. I got mine through my cousin's wife who is a Dukie. Duke had their tickets available much sooner then GU did, though.

i love it that a dukie ticket is being used by a Zag! way to represent!

SouthTexasZag
12-12-2009, 04:05 PM
Is this something new? I went to see the Zags play Duke at MSG a few years ago. I paid $50 for an upper level ticket. Seats were solid, but in the upper deck, and I enjoyed the experience. I also had to take a train up from DC and pay for a night at the Penn Hotel across the street. It was worth it to spend $200 for that one game.

No one is forcing you to buy any tickets. If you don't the Duke fans certainly will. It has always been a matter of priority. If being in the building to see the game is one of your priorities, you will make it happen, otherwise you'll stay at home and watch it on your HD. To imply that someone has to be doing well financially (which is probably the most subjective description of wealth that I've ever seen) to go see a game is pointless. It comes down to what you want to do with your money.

I'm not sure where you live that tickets to see two top 25 programs are cheap. I went to see a crappy OU game (not a top 25 program) the other night and the tickets were $45 to sit in the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman Oklahoma. So, all things considered $75 to see Gonzaga at a great basketball venue like MSG sounds like a bargain.

HOOTER
12-12-2009, 08:58 PM
To imply that someone has to be doing well financially (which is probably the most subjective description of wealth that I've ever seen) to go see a game is pointless. It comes down to what you want to do with your money.

I'm assuming this is a direct response to my previous comments so I'll respond. As I said before, if you can justify spending $130 minimum for a pair of basketball tickets you have a fair amount of expendable income, period. This is not "subjective" at all. One effective way to determine how much expendable income a person has is by their spending habits. Besides, this really has nothing to do with how much money you have. Tickets for sporting events continue to increase in price not for charity but to line pockets. It's greed plain and simple, and it's a shame that a sporting event being played by guys who aren't doing it for money but for the love of the game would be exploited in this way. What's worse is that a legitimate charity is being used as a justification to separate the fans from their hard earned money, or to increase their debt (if your buying basketball tickets with a credit card shame on you). This is college basketball folks, not a professional sport where the players, coaches, owners, etc. are making an unbelievably exorbitant wage. There's no way in hell a "cheep" seat should be that expensive. It's completely unjustifiable. But hey, keep shelling out the dough. Next year the tickets will be even more expensive, and the year after, and the year after, until like everything else only the rich will be privileged enough to participate. I'll continue to support my Zags, but I'm afraid it will be from my living room for every game from here on out.

CodeCobalt
12-13-2009, 09:44 AM
I am with Asoc on this one. I know basketball isn't baseball but during world war 2 the MLB sent almost all of their players to world war 2. President Roosevelt understood how baseball and sports are part of the American life, and isn't all about making money. Especially in tough economic times where there are few affordable family activities as is. Making a profit is one thing, but wow, they really are limiting the people who can go.