PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few's interview on KJR

GoZags
12-10-2009, 05:23 PM
Can be found on the UW/Seattle Times blog:

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/index.html

FuManShoes
12-10-2009, 05:55 PM
I applaud Few's candor - if that's what it is - but I'm not sure I like the answers, esp. on Seattle U. That team could beat half the teams in the WCC right now. But more than that I want a chance to see the Zags form a new rivalry in my home town. I also think Seattle U could bring some resources and coverage to the league.

LynetteG
12-10-2009, 06:16 PM
the comments were ewdub priceless...!

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks, gozags! That was good listening.

I thought he did some diplomatic work regarding UW there, dialing the rhetoric way back and saying in effect, "Hey, what the Huskies have been doing with their schedule works for them, and what we've been doing works for us, and we're booked way out with home and homes, so we wouldn't have room for a while anyway, so everybody ought to move on and quit jawing about it." (Obviously, there's some free and loose paraphrasing going on there.

I can't argue with Coach Few about his position the only way he'd be interested in taking another school in the conference was is it improved our RPI. Hard to disagree with him there, IMO.

FuManShoes
12-10-2009, 10:11 PM
I can't argue with Coach Few about his position the only way he'd be interested in taking another school in the conference was is it improved our RPI. Hard to disagree with him there, IMO.

If this is the most important part of league membership than I can think of a few teams that ought to be booted from the WCC for sucking and not doing much to change their lot.

realtydog
12-11-2009, 07:07 AM
he came off kind of cold and smug to me

dpouley
12-11-2009, 07:28 AM

I think that is how he comes off in public situations or when he is dealing with the press, I have always felt that way.

However, I have met him, and seen him interact with people in a more relaxed private setting and he is much less rigid, much more friendly, easy going and an incredibly great family man.

ZagNative
12-11-2009, 07:36 AM
Didn't sound smug to me. Different folks, different perceptions, I guess.

vandalzag
12-11-2009, 07:44 AM
Have to agree. He ranks media appearances just above getting the oil changed. That is why you do not see him come across well, unless it is a national broadcast. He is certainly a different person on ESPN or Jim Rome. That being said I am sure he was getting tired of the Husky question. The interviewer spent more time on that than the any other topic. I am sure the tone of the interview would have changed had more time been spent on who the zags are playing as opposed to who they are not playing. Bottom line he is is not an interview guy, as Dpouley said above he is much different in person.

Rangerzag
12-11-2009, 07:56 AM
On the Seattle U in the WCC question I think he said his first answer is they have been playing the way they are for a long time and it seems just fine. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. His statements about adding a higher RPI team was only if for some reason the conference changed its stance and went shopping for another member.

MickMick
12-11-2009, 08:12 AM
I couldn't imagine coach Few at a place like Kentucky or a school in a major metropolis. Could you imagine how uncomfortable he would be at a setting like Big Blue Madness?

Few and glitz just don't mix.

He is the perfect fit for GU. GU is the perfect fit for him.

With respect to Seattle U, I'm not against them joining. Coach Few offers valid arguments why they shouldn't. I personally believe that Seattle U would hurt Portland and UW more than GU with respect to recruiting.

Jedster
12-11-2009, 08:22 AM
I'm sure he probably did come off sounding guarded in the interview as he knew the topic of GU/UW would be front and center. He's well aware of how big a firestorm could be created by saying the wrong thing, or more importantly, having jaded fans perceive he said the wrong thing. I would guess for him, this topic is an irritant that he doesn't want to deal with as GU is very happy with their scheduling and have plenty of options to fill out their next few years schedule. We've all been in situations before where we have to be careful what/how we say things and obviously can come across quite differently from how we naturally are.

BobZag
12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Very diplomatic.

Ehh, much ado about nothing. Ehh.

Rangerzag
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
And they figured out Ian is a Coug ;^)

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2009, 08:57 AM
Call it irony. Or maybe it's just ignorance. But the fans of some WCC schools clamoring for Seattle to be admitted to the WCC should realize that when the matter came to a vote a few years ago, their schools (through their presidents) voted against Seattle U's bid for admission and Gonzaga (Fr. Spitzer) voted in FAVOR of it. Almost all agree that the process was botched by the former conference commissioner.

gamagin
12-11-2009, 09:02 AM
I couldn't imagine coach Few at a place like Kentucky or a school in a major metropolis. Could you imagine how uncomfortable he would be at a setting like Big Blue Madness?
Few and glitz just don't mix. He is the perfect fit for GU. GU is the perfect fit for him. With respect to Seattle U, I'm not against them joining. Coach Few offers valid arguments why they shouldn't. I personally believe that Seattle U would hurt Portland and UW more than GU with respect to recruiting.

Seattle U. is family. The Jesuits will settle all this as soon as someone does an audit and notes the money is or can be had there. GU will be the model and the role model.

The WCC could nearly also be called the West Coast Catholics. So one more would hardly be a shock or a stretch, imo.

Go TTEAM Zags !

Angelo Roncalli
12-11-2009, 10:10 AM
Seattle U. is family. The Jesuits will settle all this as soon as someone does an audit and notes the money is or can be had there. GU will be the model and the role model.
Go TTEAM Zags !

There are some pretty significant problems on the money side for SU. First, they receive no conference revenue. Second, they play their home games on a court they have to rent (last year they paid $10K plus a dollar a ticket to rent the Key, it's probably about the same this year). Third, they receive no parking, concession, etc. revenue from their home games. Fourth, they increased their head coach's salary and assistant's salaries. They had 4700 fans or so for their homecourt opener against Fresno, then only 2,300 for the next game against Weber. There's no "money to be had" in this scenario.

cjm720
12-11-2009, 11:50 AM

The UW Board on the seattletimes.com site sure agrees. They're fired up over there...I didn't listen, only read parts of the article but the tone seemed a bit smug to me.