PDA

View Full Version : First 2009-10 Brett Kingma Footage

mrob7
12-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Although I realize many on here have said that Gonzaga is no longer recruiting Brett, I thought many on here would still be interested in seeing some footage from him. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ohk_aZr54nI) Here is some I shot from his 2nd game of the season this tuesday.

Here are his stats thus far:

http://community.seattletimes.nwsource.com/sports/highschool/basketball/boys/index.html?site=default&tpl=Player&ID=31960&season=current

Zerogame
12-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Brett can certainly rip the nets. Thanks for sharing. By the way, excellent vidio quality.

Zagdawg
12-10-2009, 09:32 PM
I'm thinking he can hit the 3-- what do you think.

MDABE80
12-10-2009, 09:33 PM
Low release reminds me of Derek R. He'll be a D1 somewhere....Rotnei in training? He must be shooting 500 balls every day....nice stroke. Feet look great!

zagfan08
12-10-2009, 11:32 PM
8 for 9 from three the other night. 12-16 from the field overall. I'm still not convinced he's off our radar, maybe a fallback guy or something.

MDABE80
12-11-2009, 12:10 AM
He deserves better than a "fallback" IMO. If we weren't so full, I'd take him in a minute. And I'd figure out where to put him. Low release but whatta shooter!!

Saxon_zag
12-11-2009, 01:25 AM
He deserves better than a "fallback" IMO. If we weren't so full, I'd take him in a minute. And I'd figure out where to put him. Low release but whatta shooter!!

Low release but really quick. Man this kid reminds of of d rav

zagboni
12-11-2009, 08:40 AM
Low release when he has spacing, but check the video again... When he has a man up on him how quick and how high is elevation is. How about the catch and shoot. This kid is fun to watch. Thanks for sharing mrob.

tightface
12-11-2009, 09:04 AM
We've been missing a true dead-eye shooter since Raivio graduated. Bouldin and Gray are quite accomplished from 3pt land, but with Raivio I honestly felt the ball was going in every time and I think D-Rav had no conscience whatsoever. I'd love to have a shooter like that again, it would make us so much more dangerous.

The most successful Zag teams have always had that deep threat...Santangelo and Frahm, Dickau, Stepp, Raivio. Of course, they were even more dangerous because we had the consistent inside threat of Cavalry, Turiaf, Batista, etc. that teams had to respect.

With the rugged inside play of Sacre we need that no-conscience, knock-down shooter. I think if this team had Rotnei Clarke (coulda, woulda, i know) or that similar mold player we'd have a much more likely chance of a deep tournament run.

mrob7
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
Brett can certainly rip the nets. Thanks for sharing. By the way, excellent vidio quality.

No problem, thanks. I forgot to put in a sweet block he had in the post too, but yeah.. He dosen't miss often from 3. I've never seen a high school player who gets "hot" as often as he does. It usually takes him a few shots to get going but once he hits those first ones its game over

NotoriousZ
12-11-2009, 02:08 PM
We've been missing a true dead-eye shooter since Raivio graduated. Bouldin and Gray are quite accomplished from 3pt land, but with Raivio I honestly felt the ball was going in every time and I think D-Rav had no conscience whatsoever. I'd love to have a shooter like that again, it would make us so much more dangerous.
The most successful Zag teams have always had that deep threat...Santangelo and Frahm, Dickau, Stepp, Raivio. Of course, they were even more dangerous because we had the consistent inside threat of Cavalry, Turiaf, Batista, etc. that teams had to respect.

With the rugged inside play of Sacre we need that no-conscience, knock-down shooter. I think if this team had Rotnei Clarke (coulda, woulda, i know) or that similar mold player we'd have a much more likely chance of a deep tournament run.

Um, Kong?

tightface
12-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Very true. I do get that feeling with Kong, but Kong is a low usage guy. Not a lot of minutes.

I suspect you might be right. In the next year or two he could be that kind of guy. But still not the true guard that we have had such success with as a shooter.

zagfan08
12-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Brett with 8 more threes tonight (8 for 11 I believe). I'm starting to think he should be more of a serious target again.

MDABE80
12-12-2009, 08:22 AM
Kingma looks to be a local version of Rotnei. No doubt he works hard. I agree that we should be taking a fresh look. He's not the "athlete" we've been pursuing...Derek wasn't either.......but he's such a shooter from SO many angles, if we make space for him, I'd be fine with it. If only they'd give Abe a vote?!?!?!?

dim4sum
12-12-2009, 12:07 PM
Stockton is redshirting and it seems he can do a lot of what Kingma is doing.
Also Gibbs is coming up fast and threatening to knock Meech out of his starting position. So I would not regard Kingma as a high priority. If UW gets Ricky Bell, my guess is that Seattle U picks up Kingma simply because he would be the odd man out regionally. Then again be aware that Ken Bone might be looking at him--Moore and Kingma in the backcourt could be a good combination and Bone has an uncanny knack for recruiting in-state, something the Bennetts, Raveling, etc., etc. were unable to do.

zagfan08
12-12-2009, 01:16 PM
Bone is looking at him. And Stockton is nowhere near the shooter Kingma is.

mrob7
12-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is a highlight I made for the team from the first 3 games I filmed, theres plenty of kingma in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI--0h2gdaA

katman50
12-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Am sure the GU coaches are/were conducting their due diligence on Brett. And they obviously know the teams needs, etc. Way more than I do. Having said that, I believe Kingma would make a very productive Zag. Let's face it. The kid is a scorer and dead eye shooter. Something the Zags are missing. Aside from possibly Kong. I think in hindsight the coaches will kick themselves if they don't go after this guy.

BroncoZAG615
12-24-2009, 10:03 AM
Here is a highlight I made for the team from the first 3 games I filmed, theres plenty of kingma in there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI--0h2gdaA

Thanks for that great video.

Love how Kingma gets his shot off from so many different angles. He really elevates off screens and has a high release but he really pulls it down on set shots. I don't really see how he doesn't succeed at the next level with a shot like that. He might as well do it at Gonzaga.

MickMick
12-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for that great video.

Love how Kingma gets his shot off from so many different angles. He really elevates off screens and has a high release but he really pulls it down on set shots. I don't really see how he doesn't succeed at the next level with a shot like that. He might as well do it at Gonzaga.

I'm not picky. I would be happy with Dranginis or Kingma. Both if Bell loses interest.

Zagatak
12-24-2009, 11:18 AM

How about 2010 recruit Cole Stefan. This boy can absolutely stroke it.

tls_1382
12-26-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't know if anyone remembers when Luke Ridnour was in High School, But Kigma kinda reminds me of Ridnour. Ridnour might be a bit faster, but they both have extremely quick hands and they both shoot the three about the same

thespywhozaggedme
12-26-2009, 06:32 PM

After just finishing watching Decade of Excellence; I was just gonna write the same thing. We haven't had that "dead eye" 3 point pg since Raivio, but before him, it seemed we always had at least one; Santangelo, Dickau, Stepp, etc. Meech and Vilarino couldn't throw it into the ocean and we are constantly seeing defenses sag off of Meech when he's at the top of the key. The staff may have to revisit Kingma, who knows?

thespywhozaggedme
12-26-2009, 06:35 PM
Just wanted to add that Kingma appears to be the type of player that we would've signed in a heartbeat, before we became "bigtime." Maybe we need to go back to that a little?

DickausBuzzerBeaters
12-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Until Gonzaga can get another PG like Dickau, Stepp, Santangelo, or a shooter like Richie, we'll never be what we were... Meech, Gibbs, GJ, aren't going to cut it..

hooter73
01-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Just wanted to add that Kingma appears to be the type of player that we would've signed in a heartbeat, before we became "bigtime." Maybe we need to go back to that a little?

I hear that.

cjm720
01-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Until Gonzaga can get another PG like Dickau, Stepp, Santangelo, or a shooter like Richie, we'll never be what we were... Meech, Gibbs, GJ, aren't going to cut it..

You're making this call after combined playing time of 1.4 seasons? Have a little faith in what Few and Co. have accomplished over the years...

CDC84
01-05-2010, 03:17 PM

It depends on what "cutting it" means. As much as I love some of those players, some of them were also defensive liabilities, which made any offense they produced less meaningful. GU was only going to go so far with that kind of defense at the point of attack.

Pick your poison.

In a fantasy world, what GU needs is a PG guard who can shoot it as much as he can defend. They ain't easy to find.

Psychozag
01-05-2010, 10:13 PM
Exactly, what's that even mean? I think Few believes that athleticism at the point is more important that shooting...just look at Portland for example. Athleticism like Meech's and Pargo's keeps you in the top 25. If you can couple that with shooting like Ty Lawson developed (plus a Bouldin, Sacre, Gray, and Harris of course), that's how you win championships.

MDABE80
01-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Dranginis, Bell, Kingma, that kid from eastern Canada warms my heart....any or all will be terrific D1 kids. It's the coaching that matters when the players are this good. We will get two of those above. Looks to me like we should be in search of 2 blue chip bigs too....given the situation...;)