PDA

View Full Version : First half offensive woes and more

CDC84
12-10-2009, 10:11 AM
Prior to last night, in their previous 5 games, Gonzaga had been averaging 30.2 points in the first half of games while shooting 42.8% from the field.

In the first half of those games, Gonzaga was held to 9 or fewer field goals 3 different times.

In their past 6 games (Augustana included), the team has been averaging 11.3 assists per game.

Those are very un-Zag like numbers.

The staff has been brilliant in making second half adjustments to make the offense better, but the offense is sure getting off to a very slow start in most games. Even last night vs. Augustana, the Zags weren't able to put major points on the board until the last third of the 1st half.

BobZag
12-10-2009, 10:30 AM
I'm not exactly sure, but when the Zags separated themselves in the 1st-half last night it was a lineup of--

Gibbs
Gray
Arop
Kong
Olynyk

--or something close to that. I remember commenting on how different the lineup was yet how effective it was. Maybe GJ or Meech was in there. I wasn't exactly taking notes.

:)

sharpzag
12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Gibbs is great at pushing the ball up the court and getting the ball into shooters hands, which is a skill that this team needs. He reminds me of Blake Stepp in this regard. Also, during the shoot around he was dunking with ease.

In contrast, there were back to back plays last night where Meech pushed the ball up the court and failed to get the ball to slashing wings for an easy basket. Instead, Meech ended up with awkward shots in traffic, which he missed. I don't think we need Meech to be a lights out scorer, but he needs to start giving the ball up in these types of situations.

Baldwinzag
12-10-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure, but when the Zags separated themselves in the 1st-half last night it was a lineup of--

Gibbs
Gray
Arop
Kong
Olynyk
:)

No surprise. Someone mentioned it earlier, but it seems as if a trend is developing that we go on scoring runs while Meech sits out. Whether its Gibbs, Gray, or Boulding running the point, it doesn't seem to matter. When I first saw a poster start a thread discussing this, I thought it was unfair and unwarranted until I thought about the past 5 games and its starting to seem like more than a coincidence. Just sayin'

All that said, love Meech's defense, speed, and transition game.

jake
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
In their past 6 games (Augustana included), the team has been averaging 11.3 assists per game.

Those are very un-Zag like numbers.

I know we have some good passers (notably Bouldin) on the wing, but recognizing the positives Goodson brings, you can't have your point guard averaging 1.2 apg. I really go back and forth on him. I love his defense and speed, but he has, at least at this point, shown very limited ability to create offense for others with his passing. Maybe with time.

northsidezagfan
12-10-2009, 03:04 PM
i know bouldin was in at the end of the wake game, but wasnt it a lineup similar to this one that brought us back late against wake?

maynard g krebs
12-10-2009, 07:10 PM
i know bouldin was in at the end of the wake game, but wasnt it a lineup similar to this one that brought us back late against wake?

Yes it was. Bouldin instead of Gibbs, the rest the same.

MickMick
12-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Zags are in much better shape when they rebound well. WSU killed them on the boards until Elias took over. Against Wake, it was Arop who eventually picked up the slack.

This team isn't the offensive juggernaut that we have typically become to accustomed to at Gonzaga. But when they play to their new identity (rebounding, defense, toughness) they are better equipped to do post season damage than prior versions.

Rebounding, toughness, and defense is their new identity. If they don't bring it, they stand to lose to teams like Colorado.

So now that I have identified for myself what the this team relies on, I am much less concerned about the disparity of offense by halves and much more concerned when the Zags get away from what I saw in Maui and East Lansing.

The Zag offense is created by these fore mentioned attributes. When they don't bring rebounding, toughness, and defense, their offense really suffers.

Goodson scores from defense. A one man fast break. Harris scores from rebounding. A put back machine. Matt steals the ball and makes the perfect long range pass to a breaking player. Great court vision.

Etc., etc., etc.

When these things are not happening (for whatever reason), the Zag offense goes to sleep.