PDA

View Full Version : The Zags are a V-8 Engine...

BobZag
12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
...in need of a tuneup. It's sputtering along on offense, coughing and backfiring and smoking. Think chitty chitty bang bang. New oil, new plugs, new wires, new fuel pump, reset the timing, check all vital stats. About half the pistons aren't firing.

Zags look rough.

Beware of Davidson Saturday. No joke. Curry's old school could whup GU if this thing isn't given a thorough tuneup ASAP.

CDC84
12-10-2009, 09:20 AM
It's sputtering along on offense, coughing and backfiring and smoking

When I see defenses congesting the middle on the Zags, I feel as though I have a cigarette smoker's cough. And I see nothing that's going on that makes me feel as though my cough is going to be productive.

MedZag
12-10-2009, 09:24 AM
The freshmen outplayed the starters last night, which I thought was interesting.

coolhandzag
12-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Big or short block Bob? Those old big block Chevy’s could be temperamental.

Sometimes it’s easy, and understandable, how some could get spoiled the quick start.

I have every confidence that Few will get this machine tuned and runnin full. It’s a young team, and the ups and downs will follow accordingly.

Take it one game at a time. This club has a ton going to it.

alaskazagnut
12-10-2009, 09:32 AM
an entire overhaul. That isn't possible while driving in the race. The pit stops have to be quick and thorough. I have complete faith in our pit crew and our crew cheif Mark Few. But we have young inexperienced drivers who are learning the new tracks at each race.

This team needs to do exactly as Few and Co. says. Period.

I think the lazy rebounding and poor free throws are similar to a driver needing the guts to go from 20th position to the #1 spot with never ending aggressive passing, acceleration and concentration.

I can handle all the other little things but the 2 most critical faults with this team are the lazy rebounding and the poor FT shooting.

TacomaZAG
12-10-2009, 09:37 AM
you mean better free throw shooting, then I am in full agreement. Other than that I don't really see many problems. If we make our free throws at a reasonable (75%) rate, we beat Wake, even without Elias for the majority of the game. That means we have one loss with our meat-grinder of an early schedule, with that loss being to #2 (at the time) MSU at their gym. Not bad for a team with 10 guys who have little or no D-1 experience.

I am a big proponent of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mentality. That isn't to say there aren't some minor adjustments that will always need to be made (adjust the timing, rebalance the tires) that are part of driving this Zag-mobile, and I am conficent that the Few garage will make the necessary adjustments.

Let's just "keep sawing wood"..............

I like the V-8 reference, boy I sure miss my 1970 GTO.........

Go ZAGS

vandalzag
12-10-2009, 09:44 AM
The issue is with the point. Right now Goodson is not up to the task. It is not about shooting either(although a passable threat of an outside shot would be nice), it is about running the offense and making plays. The offense just does not flow when he is on the floor. He does not push the ball effectively, picking up his dribble in the wrong place and failing to set up teammates with open looks, let alone create looks for himself. I really do not see any change from his freshman year. Maybe if GJ could learn to gear it down a little on offense, he may be the answer but that would only come with playing time. He does seem to see the floor better and has a better looking stroke than Goodson. Right now the best option may be to put Arop on the floor, with Bouldin and Gray handling the ball, and hopefully be able to guard the point for the other team. Goodson could be used in a role similar to last year, where he comes in as a change of pace. But as of now his defense does not provide enough cover for what he lacks on the offensive side.

dim4sum
12-10-2009, 09:45 AM
The leash on Meech must grow increasingly shorter. Replace with the stable grounded guy who can pass, rebound and board: Manny Arop.
Step 2A--If Steven resumes throwing lazy passes that are intercepted and if his shot isn't falling replace with Bol Kong first, Grant Gibbs second.
Step 3A--If Sacre isn't boarding and his short jumpers are off, replace immediately with Andy Poling, who is ready. Just give him the chance. He won't disappoint.
80 points a game is starting to look like an Everest or a K-1 to this team.
Coach should focus on creating a point guard who can get ]10 assists and 10 points a game. So far none has emerged. The assist category in fact has been pathetic and that accounts for much of the stalled O.

former1dog
12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
Starting line up in March could be:

Grant Gibbs - PG (I love a big PG. Grant has good court vision and good defense and a decent enough offensive game.)
Steven Gray - SG
Matt Bouldin - Point Forward
Elias Harris - Power Forward
Robert Sacre - Center

9 man rotation could also include Bol, Manny, Kelly and Meech (in that order).

Robert Sacre needs to make a big jump in handling double teams. Court awareness, good passing and sets that allow him to quickly pass out of the post are key.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-10-2009, 10:04 AM
dooooooooooom

DADoZAG
12-10-2009, 10:08 AM
...in need of a tuneup. It's sputtering along on offense, coughing and backfiring and smoking. Think chitty chitty bang bang. New oil, new plugs, new wires, new fuel pump, reset the timing, check all vital stats. About half the pistons aren't firing.

Zags look rough.

Beware of Davidson Saturday. No joke. Curry's old school could whup GU if this thing isn't given a thorough tuneup ASAP.

With ya’, BZ! Davidson is no joke, and this could easily be a game that slides the ZAGS back out of the top 25. I was thoroughly disgusted last night, and now I’m down a half a fifth of my best single malt. Even Harris looked like he was “dreaming,” pour officiating or not.

Call me silly, but I still believe in Meech, and believe his game will come. Perhaps his made 3 point shot last night will help. He’s still picking up the dribble at the wrong time, but he actually looked better …in spurts… last night.

IMO, it’s a lot about “the timing” at the post. I’d suggest running drills for two days where the ball goes in to the post, and back out, around the top, into the post, and back out. No dribbling, just passing. Move the ball, move the ball, move the ball…

Sacre may need a little signal from the outside when to make his move, until then, he should send the ball back out, AND KEEP HIS HEAD UP. THE GAME IS NOT AT YOUR FEET, ROB. FOR YOU, IT’S FROM ABOUT SIX FEET TO ELEVEN FEET OFF THE FLOOR. It would help if the passes were up there too, not down where the defense can out quick Rob to the ball.

The rest of practice, work on the suspension, shooting free throws until every player has made 100, including Big Will. Each player shoots two, runs the length of the flour at full bore, then shoots two more. They’re missing free throws, IMO, because they’re legs aren’t in the shot.

If that doesn’t work, time for an overhaul, put all the subs in and at least give them time on the floor. A loss by 2 is the same as a loss by twenty come Selection Sunday, and the subs are playing much more relaxed than many of the starters. Yea, like staff gives a hoot what I think.

Oh, if you can’t tell, I really love this team, they just DRIVE ME CRAZY!!!!!!

Patience, DADoZAG, patience, …breath in, …breath out…

‘Loved my ’67 Firebird with the 400, fun car. To costly on tickets, though.

Go ZAGS!

TexasZagFan
12-10-2009, 10:50 AM
The freshmen outplayed the starters last night, which I thought was interesting.

Stating their case for more PT? Competition's a good thing.

75Zag
12-10-2009, 11:08 AM
The "Check Engine Light" is definitely "on" for this GU team, but I don't think the engine is going to throw a rod anytime soon. Since the success in Hawaii GU has not looked particularly sharp. If they lose to Davidson I will be surprised and worried as I think Davidson is looking more D-II than D-I right now, but things change.

Our chances to play in the national spotlight are rapidly coming to a close for this season with Duke being our last high profile opportunity. Illinois, Oklahoma and Memphis will gather regional attention, but if the Bulldogs can hit a home run against Duke it will really help with rankings and national NCAA attention as we move closer to the tournament seeding process.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Robzagnut
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
The issue is with the point. Right now Goodson is not up to the task. It is not about shooting either(although a passable threat of an outside shot would be nice), it is about running the offense and making plays. The offense just does not flow when he is on the floor. He does not push the ball effectively, picking up his dribble in the wrong place and failing to set up teammates with open looks, let alone create looks for himself. I really do not see any change from his freshman year. Maybe if GJ could learn to gear it down a little on offense, he may be the answer but that would only come with playing time. He does seem to see the floor better and has a better looking stroke than Goodson. Right now the best option may be to put Arop on the floor, with Bouldin and Gray handling the ball, and hopefully be able to guard the point for the other team. Goodson could be used in a role similar to last year, where he comes in as a change of pace. But as of now his defense does not provide enough cover for what he lacks on the offensive side.

Why all the hate on Meech?

I remember a short, tenacious PG for a particular Elite Eight team who murdered teams with his defense and intensity (and mouth). He didn't have to shoot the ball.

Meech has only been starting for 10 games. Let the kid grow and develop. He'll discover his role and get into a rthymn with time. He's playing the toughest position in one of the toughest systems in the country and people want to sit him after 10 games?

Sheesh.

FuManShoes
12-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Yeah Meech drives too much, but GJ shoots too much. He looked downright trigger happy last night and I saw little to suggest he should start over Meech. Meech, on the other hand, had a stellar hustle play to grab that loose ball at half court. Sure he was facing an inferior athlete but his instinct was still to go get the damn ball. He's feeling his way at the point and I think as soon as he gains some confidence in his dribble and keeps it alive, things will open up. The rebounding looks piss poor mostly because the guys keep going for pretty tipbacks instead of just nocking out and securing the rock with two hands.

gonwick
12-10-2009, 12:35 PM
I think everyone here appreciates the great things Meech does. His motor won't quit, he plays great D, and he can be relied upon to singlehandedly get the ball upcourt. When he chooses to, he can slash to the basket and create. It seems that the word is out on his shooting, though, and everyone sags well off him on defense, limiting his ability to pass to the post. This may be what's contributing to the lack of flow that many have noted when he's in the game. I cheer like crazy when he hits the rare 3, but my throat isn't exactly getting hoarse. Until he can make people respect his jumper, I'm not sure how this problem changes.

G.J. at the moment seems very similar to Meech, except he is much more willing to shoot. Until his shot improves, though, this doesn't seem to be a good thing. For the past several games, G.J. has a history of popping off a quick shot as soon as he checks into the game rather than running the offense. He also appears to make up his mind well in advance that he's going to drive the length of the court, leading to some awkward (and some thrilling) plays.

Hopefully both will continue to improve their shooting to the point that teams will respect them, but in the meantime, what is the team best off doing? Is it better to get great defense and hustle but limited scoring from the point (and others because the other team can sag on defense) or should Matt run the point and Kong/Gibbs/Arop take more minutes on offense? Yes, Kong may be a defensive liability. There's no right answer, and I don't envy Few the choices he has to make. I agree with some of the above posts that Meech/GJ may have to give up some minutes to others.

I'm proud of all of our players and appreciate all the assets they bring. The challenge is how Few can use each of them to best advantage. This is clearly a work in progress. It'll be nice to see the team hitting on all cylinders, hopefully sooner than March.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 12:37 PM
If teams are going to pack it inside to defend our bigs, then our wings and point guards must be able to hit perimeter shots. I feel confident that Matt, Steven, and Bol can bury jumpers all day long, but I'm very concerned about Meech's shot. Also, Meech has had trouble finishing at the rim this season, as well. I don't want to turn this into another move-Matt-to-PG thread, but giving Bol more minutes, perhaps as a starter, might help boost this team's octane.

zagfan08
12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
Seemingly every time GJ touched the ball last night it went up. Meech should still be the guy, although I would expect a lineup of Bouldin, Gray, Kong/Arop, Harris, and Sacre to play a lot of minutes while Meech is sitting.

vandalzag
12-10-2009, 12:48 PM

I remember a short, tenacious PG for a particular Elite Eight team who murdered teams with his defense and intensity (and mouth). He didn't have to shoot the ball.

Meech has only been starting for 10 games. Let the kid grow and develop. He'll discover his role and get into a rthymn with time. He's playing the toughest position in one of the toughest systems in the country and people want to sit him after 10 games?

Sheesh.

First off no hate on Goodson, the topic of this thread is that the offense is not working, and I said that it starts with the point. There are other issues as well, but some would be corrected with better production from the point guard position.
If I am not mistaken the PG you are referring to is QHall who averaged 11 pts and 3.5 Asst. that year. Qhall could shoot the ball.
10 games is a third of the season and is a pretty good indicator of where a player is at, does that mean that Goodson can't or won't improve absolutely not. But what he has shown so far does not make it seem like he is growing in the position.
You can't use the offense is difficult as an excuse, because they are not running anything close to the offensive sets they have run in the past, besides Goodson is a sophomore who has been in the system, he is not 10 games out of high school.
The bottom line is that the starting PG on a top 20 team has to have more than 11 assists in 10 games. KO has 7 assists, Mike Hart has 3 assists on the season. Unless the coach Few is going to switch his style of basketball to one of lock down defense, full court pressure man to man, the Zags will need more from the PG position. He does not need to be shoot like Dickau or drive like Pargo, but the PG must be able to put his teammates in a position to score. Right now that is what is missing from this offense. If the PG position has to be defended, teams can't freely double the post or hedge so hard on Bouldin, without risking an open man who is a threat to score. Plus Bouldin would not have to handle the ball so much and he would be free to move without the ball which is one of his strengths.

sullyzag66
12-10-2009, 01:18 PM
Considering that Key Arena has not been the friendly confines of late, the game is no gimme. Make free throws and hit the glass.

titopoet
12-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Agreed, did anyone see the hurt Trevon Hughes put on Duke? He drove. He dished, he exposed both Nolan and Snyder. Neither could get around him or stop getting to the bucket. Now that is a PG.

Wait, I forgot Meech DOMINATED him and made him non-factor. John Snyder could not match up with Hughes. What makes anyone think he match Meech.

BobZag
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Just a tuneup, guys. May I recommend Oil Can Few's, related to--

http://oilcanhenrys.com/

Robzagnut
12-10-2009, 02:18 PM
If I am not mistaken the PG you are referring to is QHall who averaged 11 pts and 3.5 Asst. that year. Qhall could shoot the ball.

As a senior.

UberZagFan
12-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Uber doesn't really have any good automotive analogies so he'll just say it: Anyone forming opinions based upon what they saw last night is seriously misguided. That game was a glorified mid-season type exhibition game--reminded Uber of when the Oakland A's used to play the Tacoma Tigers mid-season and Canseco, Mac, and even Weiss would all take one at-bat, swing from their arses, usually strikeout walk back to the dugout and into the clubhouse to never be seen the rest of the night.

Playing a DIII tells Uber squat.

Meech is fine and plays for reasons other than his points line. Uber agrees that he needs to up the ante on the assists and finishes around the rim, but he's in there to guard the point, pressure the point of attack, and bring the ball up the court--Matty B is essentially running the point was they get into the set.

Maybe Davidson is "no joke" but they aren't very good this year. They've lost to some weak teams and only have beat a DIII school and then last Sat. beat The Citadel--a team that is interestingly ranked one spot above Davidson in kenpom's ratings. GU should definitely take care of business on Saturday! Plus, Uber wants to see a win in person this year without having to drive to Spokane (or Portland) to see it.

cjm720
12-10-2009, 02:46 PM
...that will kick butt all year long. Not worried one bit. It's in Few's hands...he has the talent to continue the run.

Go Zags!!!

gamagin
12-10-2009, 02:57 PM
the engine can and has kicked in, but when it gets to cruising speed (MSU, WF), it tends to shut down and try to cruise on home on auto pilot.

Or else, as recently, they start out cruising (Maui) and then try and kick the engine into service towards the end, in hopes of salvaging the game, which by this time it is all uphill.

What we need is every man in his place and doing what he needs to do to make the other four more effective. Protect, shoot, dish underneath. Dish, move the ball and shoot whenever the circumstances dictate. If the shot is from the perimeter, the bigs collapse on the ball and put it back if it misses. repeat.

The starting five won't change, imo, because they have earned their starts.

However, in order keep them, they need to get into their roles and stay there for 40 minutes each game. Or however minutes they are in the game.

Meech & RS need to relax and remember they are in there for a reason. They look stiff and uncomfortable for some reason and they need to work through it.

Just like I assume they perform in practice day in and day out and keep their starting roles, they need to keep up when it really counts.

It's alot more difficult to enter the game with the weight of the victory on your shoulders than it is to go in, play a role for a few minutes and then sit down.

RS & Meech need to get to that point of responsibility, imo. Steven, too.

I also believe they will get their challenges & this team gelling together by the start of the WCC season. I believe even more strongly that there aren't three more capable athletes on this roster at this time to achieve that goal.

There are lots of role players, who, like Meech & RS last year, are working to take their places or hoping to get more p.t. But I seriously doubt the newbies could handle the additional minutes and responsibility required for an entire game, much less a whole season. Not yet.

Bol said as much on the Krem video. Few has alluded to the raw talent many times, and warned many times, too, that this team is going to have its ups and downs.

That means to me that the work in process pretty much permeates the whole team, perhaps except MB & EH, and we might as well get used to it.

I think we might all agree it's been a helluva ride so far. and The season, the one that guarantees a ticket to the dance, hasn't even begun.

Go TEAM Zags !

vandalzag
12-10-2009, 03:16 PM
As a senior.

So your point is what, that Goodson will not produce until he is a senior? You said that you remembered a PG that dominated with defense and attitude. When in reality QHall could shoot and pass the ball, as well as defend.

I am not against Goodson, I hope that he becomes a first team AA, but right now he is not producing at the level that this team needs. Show me a team that made a deep run in March in the last 10 years with Goodson's level of production at the point. His defense is good, but it is not like he is shutting down the best player on the other team every game, or that he is spearheading some attack style defense that is leading to easy baskets.

It is OK to be critical, especially since the purpose of this board is to discuss the team. This is not the case of liking one player over the other, because right now there really are no obvious choices to go with. Go back and look at the last couple of real games, watch how other teams defend him. This is not a mystery, just look at his playing time and compare how the team functions (comebacks against Wake and WSU made with him on the bench) offensively when he is on the floor as opposed to not playing.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Just a tuneup, guys. May I recommend Oil Can Few's, related to--

http://oilcanhenrys.com/

Is Few gonna grow a glorious mustache and rock a bow tie and a newsie hat until the offense heats up again?

http://oilcanhenrys.com/images/home_hero_100109.jpg

Zaghuatanejo
12-10-2009, 03:35 PM
I agree that a few tweaks are needed but it shouldn't come as a surprise. We all knew going in that this would be a year with a lot of fluctuations in our quality of play due to our youth. The right adjustments will be made and these bumps in the road will be great learning experiences for these kids. As long as we're a finely-tuned machine come March I'm happy.

DixieZag
12-10-2009, 03:50 PM
See last year. Bob is right in that unless this team focuses on the game before them (last night excepted, DI only) this team can lose to anyone. Wake Forest lost to William and Mary by 10, at home, and somehow beat US on the road. We are not good enough to cruise through any games on our schedule. But, if the kids give an all out effort and are on the same page, we know they are capable of playing with MSU and Texas.

I have been writing to the point where I have carpel tunnel that Meech/Steven/Sacre better be looking behind their backs. Few is a great guy and better coach, but he is no sentimentalist, he has taken away scholarships and starting spots. Everyone says Meech plays great D, well so does Manny but unlike Meech, the few shots that Manny has taken this year have pretty much gone in, he has feathery touch and thoroughly outscored KO in international play. Sacre better start looking like Sacre at MSU or he can get a season ticket watching KO and Poling play. And Gray needs to get his mind back on the court, especially with all the young wings we have, Manny, Bol, Gibbs. NO ONE is able to "cruise" through a game and expect to play.

Right now, until Meech gets his offensive side settled, he should be watching more than playing, I don't care about starting, but Manny should be eating up his minutes, I believe that is our best lineup.

MickMick
12-10-2009, 04:23 PM
The engine is fine. Meech is fine.

The only problem I am seeing is the effort at rebounding. Either Harris or Arop must be on the floor at all times for the Zags to stop giving away second chance points.

Other than that, the Zags are ready for the Indy 500.

Xin Loi 67
12-10-2009, 06:18 PM
From what I heard in a grant Gibbs quote somewhere in here, Matt was confused about the Mich. St. game and was blurry about everything that happened.

Don't be surprised if Matt T. sits! He won't want to but it will be the doctor's opinion that will be followed. Five years ago, Bouldin's injury and severity would have beem left up to the trainer and player, not so now. Usually after someone is knocked out, the STML extends no more than a couple of minutes. Grant, although saying it in jest had a foundation for his comment.

I say the odds are slight that he will play Davidson. The fact that that we are playing a lesser team is a gift.

gamagin
12-10-2009, 06:23 PM
From what I heard in a grant Gibbs quote somewhere in here, Matt was confused about the Mich. St. game and was blurry about everything that happened.

Don't be surprised if Matt T. sits! He won't want to but it will be the doctor's opinion that will be followed. Five years ago, Bouldin's injury and severity would have beem left up to the trainer and player, not so now. Usually after someone is knocked out, the STML extends no more than a couple of minutes. Grant, although saying it in jest had a foundation for his comment.

I say the odds are slight that he will play Davidson. The fact that that we are playing a lesser team is a gift.

pretending he had memory loss, during an interview. Hilarious !

Go TEAM Zags !

LMUZAG
12-10-2009, 06:31 PM
that the one Zag game I get to see this year (BIS) does not leave me feeling like last years heartbreaking BIS. Be fun to see the hustle and effort that defines this years team. Here is to a beatdown of the Curryless Davidson, revenge in a sense, and leaving Seattle with a little less ice on my heart and tires this year.

Xin Loi 67
12-10-2009, 06:34 PM
My previous post was ment to start a thread. I failed and I apologize.

As to Gamagin's comment, we shall see, we shall see.

montanazag88
12-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Still wondering what happened to the first few games where the inside game was established well before the rain of 3's. Mistakes of old... We have the bigs...get it to them and teach 'em to dish. Gray is streaky when starting from the outside and moving in...and it takes forever for him to start driving in a game he is cold from outside to begin with... Meech works well in an offense designed from the inside out... The lane opens up for him when the D respects the bigs. Matt cannot be the only threat in the paint. Harris needs the ball LOW...not out at the wing. Sacre has lost his elbow hook move in the last few games...that is a winner 9 out 10 attempts. Inside out, gentlemen. Inside out. This is haunting Adam Morrison in the NBA, by the way...made a name inside out and got stuck on the outside...now he's one dimentional....hope it changes.

chirguy
12-10-2009, 06:45 PM

I was impressed with several, especially Grant Gibbs. Watching his play and looking at his stats, he was the player of the game.

Min Shots RB A TO S B F tp
G. Gibbs 25 3-5 1-2 1-4 0 3 4 1 2 1 1 8

Xin Loi 67
12-10-2009, 07:26 PM
I was impressed with several, especially Grant Gibbs. Watching his play and looking at his stats, he was the player of the game.

Min Shots RB A TO S B F tp
G. Gibbs 25 3-5 1-2 1-4 0 3 4 1 2 1 1 8

The thing that impresses me most is his confident cool attitude. He is a leader and may be the force in the future. I think it's written all over him.

Robzagnut
12-11-2009, 09:19 AM
So your point is what, that Goodson will not produce until he is a senior? You said that you remembered a PG that dominated with defense and attitude. When in reality QHall could shoot and pass the ball, as well as defend.

That you're comparing the scoring numbers of a senior (also what were his numbers as a junior?) to a sophomore who doesn't need to score because of the four other starters on his team and has only started 10 games.

If you want to truly compare the SCORING wait until Meech is a senior and compare his senior numbers to Hall's senior numbers. Right now Meech's job is to defend and start the fast break. Currently, Bouldin is running the GU show and once Meech becomes an upper classman he will have more license to create and dish, and those numbers will go up.

BobZag
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM

Does this mean the V-8 threw a rod or popped a manifold?

vandalzag
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
That you're comparing the scoring numbers of a senior (also what were his numbers as a junior?) to a sophomore who doesn't need to score because of the four other starters on his team and has only started 10 games.

If you want to truly compare the SCORING wait until Meech is a senior and compare his senior numbers to Hall's senior numbers. Right now Meech's job is to defend and start the fast break. Currently, Bouldin is running the GU show and once Meech becomes an upper classman he will have more license to create and dish, and those numbers will go up.

No you compared him to Qhall not me(specifically bringing up the elite 8 run). I simply pointed out the numbers, since your were the one who brought up the comparison of players.
I agree that his role is not to score, I have even said it previously in this thread, however he does need to create shots and be seen as a threat on the offensive side of the floor, which to date he has yet to do(even the biggest homer outside of his parents would agree to that). The offense is not running smoothly, plain and simple. In the last two real games, when the offense looked its best was when he was sitting and bouldin handled the ball, and there was another viable scoring threat on the floor meaning the other team had to guard all 5 players. He is not starting the fast break, half the time he is not even the primary outlet. And when he does take the ball he does not create productive opportunities.

You are correct he is a sophomore, so if you are excusing his lack of production due to only having 1.3 years in the system, should the team than look for other options until he becomes more seasoned? For instance Arop is a Freshman who has played less than half the minutes as Goodson, yet has only 4 less assists, so using the sophomore excuse does not wash.

He does have a role, his ballhandling will be needed against bigger athletic teams that can pressure Bouldin. But right now the team is going to see a steady diet of double the post and hard pressure on Bouldin when Goodson is on the floor.
While I do not want to write him off, the production is a major concern. He is currently playing double the minutes of last year and averaging less assists. That is not a recipe for success for any point guard, even if Bouldin is running the half court.

bballbeachbum
12-11-2009, 01:10 PM
before the ejection, things were clicking and we were imposing our will...we were doing it with the rotation that many are screaming to be changed.

Perhaps it will occur, and I'm certainly not saying Manny is not a player, he is! but the truth is we were busting Wake without the things being called for. Not that I disagree with many of the observations, but it just seems that the observation we were kicking their butt without all these adjustments has gone missing from the equation somehow.

Anyway, I like Elias in the low post, but also with the ball on the wing depending on who is guarding him; big, slow pounders will have trouble matching up with him out there, he's already shown that

and on Meech; one tweek could be that when he blows up court but doesn't get to the rim or get hammer fouled, to help keep his dribble alive he could look to keep going through the lane to the weakside with his dribble, instead of that awkward strongside pullback to the short wing he has done a few times now; if he had the tear drop off the backboard from there he'd kill because they dare him to take that, but invariably he's picked up his dribble there, which, again, is awkward. Just flow thru with the dribble alive to the weakside to keep pressure on the D and see what develops in the secondary break...open jump shooters often available, or a cutter thru the lane behind the path Meech just cleared out by dribbling thru it; or set it up and find Matt the ball

I know, that was not just my two cents, more like my 2 bits

TEAM TEAM TEAM!

cjm720
12-11-2009, 01:44 PM
before the ejection, things were clicking and we were imposing our will...we were doing it with the rotation that many are screaming to be changed.

Perhaps it will occur, and I'm certainly not saying Manny is not a player, he is! but the truth is we were busting Wake without the things being called for. Not that I disagree with many of the observations, but it just seems that the observation we were kicking their butt without all these adjustments has gone missing from the equation somehow.

Anyway, I like Elias in the low post, but also with the ball on the wing depending on who is guarding him; big, slow pounders will have trouble matching up with him out there, he's already shown that

and on Meech; one tweek could be that when he blows up court but doesn't get to the rim or get hammer fouled, to help keep his dribble alive he could look to keep going through the lane to the weakside with his dribble, instead of that awkward strongside pullback to the short wing he has done a few times now; if he had the tear drop off the backboard from there he'd kill because they dare him to take that, but invariably he's picked up his dribble there, which, again, is awkward. Just flow thru with the dribble alive to the weakside to keep pressure on the D and see what develops in the secondary break...open jump shooters often available, or a cutter thru the lane behind the path Meech just cleared out by dribbling thru it; or set it up and find Matt the ball

I know, that was not just my two cents, more like my 2 bits

TEAM TEAM TEAM!

Well reasoned post and I completely agree with everything said. The call for changes this week have been quite hilarious coming on the heels of a Division III opponent. Sure, I'm more excited for some of the young guns and a game like this will build their confidence and PT, but are starting 5 is set (albeit on a shorter leash).

Go Zags!!

TheZagPhish
12-11-2009, 02:39 PM
How far can you stretch a metaphor before it snaps? ;)

RenoZag
12-11-2009, 02:40 PM

From Spokane to Key Arena. . .

BobZag
12-11-2009, 02:48 PM

Do you really want to know?

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2153/2068349174_2dbf271bf1.jpg