PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga: Savior of College Hoops on the West Coast

Zag4Hire
12-10-2009, 08:55 AM
When driving to work this morning, KNBR in the SF Bay Area talked about that college hoops on the West Coast are down this year and one guy mentioned that Gonzaga seemed like the only hope. Good, I can think of no better program that does it the right way. I don't want to hear any moaning or groaning about Harris' play was dirty or is the microcosm of a program gone awry. This is a solid program that is built with high quality players, in both character and ability. They desperately try hard each night and have fun while doing it. I can't think of another college program (maybe Duke?) where I would feel confident to have any of the other coaches step in for Few to manage a game. The Wake Forest game was merely a hiccup in what seems to be a successful and entertaining season. The loss is past and the Harris incident is done. The Zags step back into the swing of things with the Battle in Seattle. The foe isn't as formidable as years past but is dangerous just the same. Davidson has a great coach in McKillop and his troops will play hard. I hope to see GU show the rest of the nation what we already know: A top-talented team who plays with discipline, determination, and deserves to be recognized with the best in the land.

Kiddwell
12-10-2009, 09:13 AM
This would be a great year for the Zags to make an Elite Eight run. (Well, any year would be great for that.) By standing out as THE West Coast team in '09-'10, it would just make the program shinier than ever.

Yeah! The Zags! Upholding college basketball in the Far West!

:]
<Side Note: Kiddwell's hoping the Zags shine bright enough from here on to earn a 3 seed by season's end. Sweeping the WCC would be necessary, probably. And it wouldn't hurt in that regard to beat OK, Dook, Illi-noise, and Memphis (finally).>

alaskazagnut
12-10-2009, 09:21 AM
But for every small, non BCS or mid-major, Gonzaga is a beacon of hope and a model of how a college basketball program should be.

Our Jesuit educational institution and the University's mission has allowed our coaching staff to be successful with scouting, recruiting, practice, moral integrity on and off the court, and even in victory or loss.

We hold our team to a higher standard. They represent us. We represent them when we wear a hat or T-shirt that says Gonzaga. And proudly I might add.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Zag4Hire:

I don't want to hear any moaning or groaning about Harris' play was dirty or is the microcosm of a program gone awry.

Coach Few addressed this on his last show, and put it to rest. It was more of a matter of a cagey senior taking advantage of a freshman's inexperience.

IIRC, and I'll recheck the video, Mark said that Elias was told that to his face by a WF player after the game.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2009, 10:49 AM
But for every small, non BCS or mid-major, Gonzaga is a beacon of hope and a model of how a college basketball program should be.

Our Jesuit educational institution and the University's mission has allowed our coaching staff to be successful with scouting, recruiting, practice, moral integrity on and off the court, and even in victory or loss.

We hold our team to a higher standard. They represent us. We represent them when we wear a hat or T-shirt that says Gonzaga. And proudly I might add.

+1...well stated.

In a collegiate athletic world monopolized by BCS football and "power conferences", Gonzaga is one of the few remaining bastions of what's right about college sports, and the dying concept of the "student athlete."

And the rest of the country knows it. We received another mention as "America's Team" on last night's late SportCenter, courtesy of Neal Everett. Rick Reilly was co-hosting, and they were discussing a poll of current NCAA athletes. The vote for hottest cheerleaders went to the University of Oregon. Best hoops program? UNC. Don't remember much else, as it was at about 4:30 AM.

bullzag23
12-10-2009, 11:52 AM
This would be a great year for the Zags to make an Elite Eight run. (Well, any year would be great for that.) By standing out as THE West Coast team in '09-'10, it would just make the program shinier than ever.

Yeah! The Zags! Upholding college basketball in the Far West!

:]
<Side Note: Kiddwell's hoping the Zags shine bright enough from here on to earn a 3 seed by season's end. Sweeping the WCC would be necessary, probably. And it wouldn't hurt in that regard to beat OK, Dook, Illi-noise, and Memphis (finally).>

A 3 seed would be amazing...especially if we do end up as the top western team, there'd be a good shot for us to end up playing in Spokane come March...

LynetteG
12-10-2009, 01:21 PM
IIRC, and I'll recheck the video, Mark said that Elias was told that to his face by a WF player after the game.
i thought i read somewhere that the WF player told EH when he went to the FTL something like 'I just got you thrown out', i heard it was during the game, right after the incident, and not after. i could be wrong about the timing, but that's pretty crappy of the player to say that. Oh well, moving on....

Zag4Hire
01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Seems to be the truth more and more with GU ranked in the Top 10 and nobody in the Pac 10 ranked:

Only 14 of 54 teams in the six Western conferences (Big Sky, Big West, Mountain West, Pac-10, WAC and WCC) have been noticed enough to get votes in either of the two major polls; Gonzaga is the only one to get votes all 10 weeks in both polls.

Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2010/01/15/SPKO1BI8NK.DTL#ixzz0d1DHwNUa

BobZag
01-18-2010, 04:49 PM
BYU looks scary good but Provo is not "West Coast." It is west, though.

How on earth could we miss out on a kid named Jimmer Fredette? What a cool name!

azzagfan
01-18-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm just still dissappointed we missed out on Tyler Haws...the kid's tearing it up for BYU this year.

d2zag
01-18-2010, 11:10 PM
BYU looks scary good but Provo is not "West Coast." It is west, though.

How on earth could we miss out on a kid named Jimmer Fredette? What a cool name!

That's a Mormon name if there ever was one :p

WallaWallaZag
01-19-2010, 01:40 AM
I'm just still dissappointed we missed out on Tyler Haws...the kid's tearing it up for BYU this year.

did we offer and he chose byu instead of us, or did we pass like brad tinsley???

thickman1
01-19-2010, 06:35 AM
i thought i read somewhere that the WF player told EH when he went to the FTL something like 'I just got you thrown out', i heard it was during the game, right after the incident, and not after. i could be wrong about the timing, but that's pretty crappy of the player to say that. Oh well, moving on....

McFarland is just nasty. He was causing one of Duke's guys (Zubek I believe) to get all riled up in their game on Sunday night. He's just a dirty player. One play stands out where they got tangled up a started to fall. McFarland discretely hooked Zubek's arm and basically hip-tossed him down onto the floor. He was VERY good at making it look accidental.

Too bad for Elias that it happened and the game result was a "L" but I think he learned from the experience. That's what matters.

azzagfan
01-19-2010, 06:52 AM
did we offer and he chose byu instead of us, or did we pass like brad tinsley???

BZ would have to clarify...we were interested along with BYU, Utah and Stanford (seems like those were the other leaders during the recruiting), but not sure who passed on whom.