PDA

View Full Version : Drew Gordon, UCLA transfer

rijman
12-10-2009, 08:05 AM
The San Diego UT reports today that Drew Gordon, the UCLA transfer who had a falling out with coach Howland, is getting interest from Gonzaga in addition to Georgetown, Florida, Notre Dame, Nevada, New Mexico and San Diego State. His father, Ed Gordon, played basketball for San Diego State in the early 1980's and says he "would be thrilled" if his son went there. They are still formulating their short list. He will have 2.5 years of eligibility remaining if he leaves the Pac 10.

Drew averaged 11.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 24.5 minutes per game this season and was "rated by most prep recruiting services as a top-50 player in the nation..."

Apparently Drew had a falling out with Howland after being suspended from 2 practices for undisclosed reasons.

If Ed Gordon would be thrilled for his son to play for the Aztecs he would probably be ecstatic if he played for the Zags.

The article was written by a local staff writer from an interview with the father Ed Gordon.

hockeyzag
12-10-2009, 08:26 AM
I just don't know about this guy, he's obviously a great player but attitude has to count for something. He seems like a bad egg, just my opinion.

thespywhozaggedme
12-10-2009, 08:29 AM
Doesn't anyone remember Bobs not so cryptic post last week about a big name guard coming out of the blue?

Zag4Hire
12-10-2009, 08:37 AM
I just don't know about this guy, he's obviously a great player but attitude has to count for something. He seems like a bad egg, just my opinion.

It could just be the environment/coach-player relationship. Look at Derrick Caracter at UTEP..He is thriving and but he wasn't a 'bad seed' because he didn't get along with Pitino.

dnj116
12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
No. I'm sorry, but we are already too deep in that class as it stands and we do not need to be setting our program up for a full-blown rebuilding year in 4 years, if we aren't already. Short of a durant, wall, type player I don't think it is worth it. From my armchair coaching position, there needs to be more of a STAGGERING of the classes (like coach Few needs to be told this...)

CDC84
12-10-2009, 08:44 AM
Caracter was a bad seed going back to his high school days....long before he arrived on Louisville's campus.

BroncoZAG615
12-10-2009, 08:48 AM
I'm assuming this is all much ado about nothing. His dad went to SDSU and I can't imagine him leavin the state of California. San Diego State seems to have a huge edge here.

That being said, I want Drew Gordon if he wants us. He's an instant impact player off the bench and since I could see Andy Poling transferring, I would thoroughly enjoy Gordon's presence on this team.

CanadianZagFan
12-10-2009, 08:51 AM
No. I'm sorry, but we are already have too many players in that class as it stands and we do not need to be setting our program up for a full-blown rebuilding year in 4 years (if we aren't already). Short of a durant, wall, type player I don't think it is worth it. From my archchair coaching position, there needs to be more of a STAGGERING of the classes (like coach Few needs to be told this...)

I am not sure Harris will be a 4 year guy and I think big Rob may leave after next season. Legit 7 footers with an NBA frame are not easily found, Rob will be a 4th year junior (should have a degree) at the time and should be ready to get paid.
So there will be a few spots opening up before the 4 years of eligibility is up.

thespywhozaggedme
12-10-2009, 08:53 AM
I'm assuming this is all much ado about nothing. His dad went to SDSU and I can't imagine him leavin the state of California. San Diego State seems to have a huge edge here.

That being said, I want Drew Gordon if he wants us. He's an instant impact player off the bench and since I could see Andy Poling transferring, I would thoroughly enjoy Gordon's presence on this team.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. I know you've got a cool blog and connections, but that is really uncalled for and I wouldn't be shocked if you get in big trouble for that. I'd delete it asap, if I were you.

hockeyzag
12-10-2009, 08:54 AM

San Diego State's program isn't even close to our level. And if he wants to stay on the West Coast I don't see how we can't be the favorite in this situation, even if his Dad is an SDSU alum. If he wants to go to the NCAA tournament and be seen nationally, we've got to be one of his best choices.

CDC84
12-10-2009, 08:58 AM
When a kid transfers, he has to go to a place where he is 100% certain he'll get major playing time. This is it for Gordon. He can't transfer to another D-1 school after he selects his next destination.

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 09:01 AM
This is an interesting video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfnzD-6V_Y) posted on Youtube by Fanhouse. Seems like a nice kid.

Last time I looked at this thread on the Marquette board (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmfnzD-6V_Y), one of their speculations was Gordon would end up at Gonzaga. They'd really like to have him but thought he'd stay west of the Mississippi.

What I read, Idon't know if here or elsewhere, was that he hasn't liked playing UCLA style of ball and, though 6'10", wanted to play a 4 instead of a 5 and wanted to play transition ball and get up and down the court. I have yet to find anything uncomplimentary about him as a person.

Drew is on the left in this pic:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/Sx9hsv4JrJI/AAAAAAAAC0A/4V7dnC8BL3k/2009-12-08%20Drew%20Gordon%20UCLA.jpg

It will be interesting to see if he visits over Christmas break. Obviously, it would need to be when the kids are still around campus...

BroncoZAG615
12-10-2009, 09:04 AM
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I know you've got a cool blog and connections, but that is really uncalled for and I wouldn't be shocked if you get in big trouble for that. I'd delete it asap, if I were you.

Just my opinion. Looking at the guys he has in front of him including Sam Dower who is redshirting, I don't see a lot of minutes for Andy in the future and I'm assuming the kid wants to play. He's only a redshirt freshman so he has time but I would be surprised if some transfers don't happen with all this youth. Just making an observation, not sure why this would warrant "big trouble". This has nothing to do with the site or any connections.

Ezag
12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
I think Poling will be a short timer here

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Caracter was a bad seed going back to his high school days....long before he arrived on Louisville's campus.

Most definitely... what actually "shaped him up" IMHO was leaving Louisville for a lesser school. Suddenly all of the people talking in his ears about the NBA and being some level of hoops god diminished and he is now actually having a chance to play basketball and not be in the national spotlight and not being surrounded by the unsavory characters looking to make money off of him.

I don't know enough about Gordon to be able to make any opinion on whether he is a "bad egg".

zag944
12-10-2009, 09:15 AM
so transferring players have to sit a year....

when does that year start (forgive my ignorance)? After his last game in a UCLA uni? when he picks a new school?

I am not worried about his attitude. If Few were to have the confidence to bring him on, thats the only confirmation I need. Micah Downs didnt have the best reputation when he joined us and I liked having him aboard.

BroncoZAG615
12-10-2009, 09:19 AM
I imagine he'll transfer so that he'll sit out this coming semester, next year's fall semester and then be available basically a year from now.

LongIslandZagFan
12-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Not speaking with any inside knowledge here... but I really wouldn't get your hopes up. As someone said earlier, when kids transfer they go where they know they are going to get a lot of PT from day one. That just wouldn't be the case at GU with Dower, Sacre, Harris, and Poling next year.

Decisions like this aren't about the Ws and Ls of the destination team, but rather being able to play basketball.

CanadianZagFan
12-10-2009, 09:37 AM
Not speaking with any inside knowledge here... but I really wouldn't get your hopes up. As someone said earlier, when kids transfer they go where they know they are going to get a lot of PT from day one. That just wouldn't be the case at GU with Dower, Sacre, Harris, and Poling next year.

Decisions like this aren't about the Ws and Ls of the destination team, but rather being able to play basketball.

I think that with Matt gone after this year Harris will move into the Small forward spot as a starter. Poling has not shown much and Dower is a redshirt for a reason. It would be possible to see this guy able to step in a beat out Kelly O as a starting power forward next year. He wants to be a 4 not a 5, any other school he goes to might not offer that option. I am not holding my breath that Gordon will be a Zag, but I think minutes would be there for him.

hockeyzag
12-10-2009, 09:42 AM
I think that if he likes our system and can get along with the coaches, there is no reason why he couldn't get good minutes right away. If he wants to be a four then who is his real competition? Sacre is a center, Dower I assume will be playing at power forward, and Harris is playing power forward now but I'm sure we wouldn't mind having him at the wing. So what would the team look like?

Sacre-Olynyk
Olynyk-Gordon/Dower
Harris-Kong-Arop
Gray-Arop-Gibbs
Goodson-Vilarino

That looks like a good lineup to me. Seems like it would certainly help in the rebounding department.

CanadianZagFan
12-10-2009, 09:46 AM
I think that if he likes our system and can get along with the coaches, there is no reason why he couldn't get good minutes right away. If he wants to be a four then who is his real competition? Sacre is a center, Dower I assume will be playing at power forward, and Harris is playing power forward now but I'm sure we wouldn't mind having him at the wing. So what would the team look like?

Sacre-Poling
Dower-Gordon-Olynyk
Harris-Kong-Arop
Gray-Arop-Gibbs
Goodson-Vilarino

That looks like a good lineup to me. Seems like it would certainly help in the rebounding department.

I think that Olynyk will be #1 behind Sacre and the Starting 4 if Gordon can't beat him out if he comes. Why would Kelly drop back in the rotation next year when he is already the first big off the bench?

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 09:51 AM
Certainly the Zags have a nice nucleus for the future w/ their current roster, but teams don't win championships by passing on elite-level players. If Gordon wants to come to Spokane, then we need to welcome him with open arms.

Also, I think worries about his attitude are blown out of porportion. Winning seems to cure most attitude problems.

drnoe
12-10-2009, 09:59 AM
I saw Eddie Gordon play many times at SDSU. He was easily one of the most athletic players I had ever seen play. The guy could jump out of the gym, and was very physically imposing. Not much of a shooter, though, and had limited offensive skills. Still, he was very fun to watch.

1973Zag
12-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I trust our coaches.

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 10:38 AM
I trust our coaches.Me too! And I trust our players! As Coach Few said in a great Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032401368.html?wprss=rss_print/sports) article from last March I find myself revisiting often,
But like they do with all high school players who visit Gonzaga, the Bulldogs players who were hosting Goodson weren't just courting him on that last weekend of September 2007. They were cross-examining him.

"When we bring a kid on a visit, they spend the maximum amount of time with our players, and the players have veto power," Gonzaga Coach Mark Few said. "And we've had some vetoes over the years." I just hope that if Gordon does visit - and I hope he does - he comes while the kids are on campus. This time of year seems like a tough time to visit, though. Battle in Seattle, Duke ... They will be here for Oklahoma, though.

theothegreat21
12-10-2009, 10:53 AM
Me too! And I trust our players! As Coach Few said in a great Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/24/AR2009032401368.html?wprss=rss_print/sports) article from last March I find myself revisiting often,I just hope that if Gordon does visit - and I hope he does - he comes while the kids are on campus. This time of year seems like a tough time to visit, though. Battle in Seattle, Duke ... They will be here for Oklahoma, though.

Good point....if he does visit, I would assume that it would be for the Oklahoma game. Spokane Arena will be loud and it will give the Gordon family a chance to meet with the coaches and to interact with the guys on the team.

DADoZAG
12-10-2009, 11:06 AM
Good point....if he does visit, I would assume that it would be for the Oklahoma game. Spokane Arena will be loud and it will give the Gordon family a chance to meet with the coaches and to interact with the guys on the team.

That would also give us a chance to find someone around 6'10 that wouldn't mind giving up his fleece for a few days! :D

Go ZAGS!

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 03:33 PM
Nice write-up on TSSF about why Gordon likely won't end up at SDSU.

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2009/12/10/1195176/will-drew-gordon-be-allowed-to

BobZag
12-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Good stuff by the fellas at SSF.

If Gonzaga doesn't get as much media exposure and attention as UCLA, it's awfully close. As for SDSU, honestly, how often does anybody see their games on TV? I have seen Chaminade more than I've seen SDSU. Plus, the Zags go to the Big Dance every year now, are always ranked, and in the WCC plays six games up and down California and doesn't travel to places like Laramie, Fort Collins, Provo, ABQ... Put the WCC Tourney in Vegas and GU has a lot to offer a kid like Gordon.

My 2 pesos.

CDC84
12-10-2009, 03:57 PM
Gordon is from San Jose, and as we all know, Gonzaga plays 3 games in the Bay Area per year, plus two games in the L.A. area (about a 5.5 hour drive from San Jose). There would be several chances for Gordon and his family/friends to see him play in person....(in addition to all of the TV opportunities that BZ talks about).

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 04:06 PM
I think the answer to this question will ultimately determine where he ends up: Does Drew want to go someplace where he can win, cut down nets, and play in the Big Dance every year; or does he want to go someplace where he'll have virtually guaranteed PT and shots?

75Zag
12-10-2009, 04:18 PM
I think the answer to this question will ultimately determine where he ends up: Does Drew want to go someplace where he can win, cut down nets, and play in the Big Dance every year; or does he want to go someplace where he'll have virtually guaranteed PT and shots?

Rewrite:

I think the answer to this question will ultimately determine where he ends up: Does Drew want to go someplace where the undergraduate women are so hot they will melt your fillings, or does he want to go someplace where they play good basketball?

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 04:30 PM
Gordon is from San Jose, and as we all know, Gonzaga plays 3 games in the Bay Area per year, plus two games in the L.A. area (about a 5.5 hour drive from San Jose). There would be several chances for Gordon and his family/friends to see him play in person....(in addition to all of the TV opportunities that BZ talks about).Good point.

Neil Everett, of ESPN's Sports Center, was talking on KGA 1510 with Tom Hudson today about a couple of Zag games he'd penciled in on his schedule, since he's based in LA now. He mentioned the games at Pepperdine and San Diego and also the WCC tournament. He knew the dates the Zags played down there, so he wasn't just blowing hot air. (He also mentioned having seen the Zags' game in Maui, BTW.)

According to UCLA's academic calendar, the quarter ends December 11. I'd think he'd start taking some trips to visit pretty soon. The next semester at Gonzaga begins on January 11, so Gordon has plenty of time in which to visit here if he gets an invite and accepts, though Oklahoma's the only Spokane game of note during that period.

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-10-2009, 04:47 PM
Does Drew want to go someplace where the undergraduate women are so hot they will melt your fillings...

Is there a GU version of Orange Pride (http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2009/dec/09/orange-pride-not-a-new-concept/)?

MDABE80
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
He's enough to change GU to a FF team. I like our bigs right now but he's on another level. Coaches will decide this. We have no say in any of it. They'll know his issues thoroughly or he won't be offered. I sure do like out kids down low though. Andy Poling is such a good kid and a good player. I'd hate to see him leave. He's just regaining his strength... I'm not sure we know his possibilites.... as far as how good he might be in the next few years. Pushing 7 ft and 250 now....stamina isn't perfect just yet. I do think we'd be underserved ( as would he) if we gave up on him.

Just a thought from the southland....home soon.

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 05:03 PM
What? Are these like decoy gorgeous girls, bused in from SoCal for theweekend? Token Hot Coeds?

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Kennel%20Club%20and%20Misc/GreatlookinggirlsfromtheKennelCl-1.jpg

I hope Drew knows how desperately affection-starved these lovely young Kennel Clubbers are!

#1zagfan
12-10-2009, 05:10 PM
Gordon would definitely help next year.

MJGoGaels
12-10-2009, 05:27 PM
I saw Eddie Gordon play many times at SDSU. He was easily one of the most athletic players I had ever seen play. The guy could jump out of the gym, and was very physically imposing. Not much of a shooter, though, and had limited offensive skills. Still, he was very fun to watch.

Glad to learn that he was a good player because his quotes don't read like he's much of father who is teaching and instilling in Drew that character counts. Reads likes it's all about the "Drew Show" - cut and run when things get a little tough on and off the court.

LA Times - Drew Gordon leaves UCLA's program
The starting center, a sophomore, had his differences with Coach Ben Howland and his departure is by mutual agreement.By David Wharton
December 2, 2009

Make a list of everything that has gone wrong for UCLA just four weeks into the basketball season.

Injuries and upset losses. A team leader -- senior Nikola Dragovic -- charged with felony assault.

Now comes another jolt with the abrupt departure of starting center Drew Gordon, who left the team Tuesday by mutual agreement after butting heads with Coach Ben Howland.

It all adds up to a Bruins program that, at least from the outside, looks to be sinking fast.

"We've had a lot of adversity this season already," point guard Jerime Anderson said. "So it's nothing new to us right now."

Three straight defeats have UCLA at 2-4. With top-ranked Kansas coming to Pauley Pavilion on Sunday, followed by Mississippi State at the Wooden Classic, Howland offers a rueful smile and concedes there is no easy turnaround in sight.

"We're playing two of the best teams in the country over the next two games," he said. "This is probably the toughest schedule we've played since I've been the coach at UCLA."

In the latest setback, Gordon walked away after a series of meetings over several months that culminated with Howland quietly suspending him for two days of practice this week.

The 6-foot-9 sophomore had become a valuable player, averaging 11.2 points and 5.3 rebounds, but he has always been opinionated and emotional. He has often flashed his temper during games.

Some teammates were not sorry to see him go, a source close to the program said. Certainly his relationship with Howland, who values discipline, had grown increasingly tense.

"We have expectations of how our players represent the university on and off the court," the coach said. "When those standards aren't met, there are consequences."

While Gordon could not be reached for comment, his parents said that losses to the likes of Cal State Fullerton and Long Beach State frustrated him.

"With the talent that's on the UCLA team," Gordon's father, Ed, said, "there's absolutely no reason for that to happen."

Even more important, the younger Gordon felt like a bad fit in UCLA's measured style of play. "His athleticism always has shined more in an up-and-down tempo," his father said. "That's not exactly what the UCLA system is about."
Tuesday's news took players by surprise.

"There were times when, I don't know, I guess they butted heads," Anderson said of Gordon and Howland. "But a lot of players don't agree with their coaches all the time."

Gordon will finish classes this quarter, then return home to Northern California to begin the process of selecting a new school. His mother said he would look outside the Pacific 10 Conference in hopes of becoming eligible by midway through next season.

"We've heard from I can't tell you how many programs," Shelly Davis said. "My phone's been ringing off the hook."

The Bruins, meanwhile, must replace a big part of their starting lineup, much of the workload shifting to Reeves Nelson.

The 6-8 freshman with the faux-hawk hairdo has been a bright spot, averaging 7.3 points and 4.7 rebounds in 14.8 minutes.

"He's a really strong kid," senior Michael Roll said. "Just comes in and tries to bully people, get rebounds, play physical, just do the dirty work that we need."

That attitude might be UCLA's only way out of a hole.

Howland planned to spend the next few practices focusing on basics and players vowed to put their faith in hard work. There was also the promise of something new.

Allowing too much penetration off the dribble, the Bruins will look beyond man-to-man defense -- Howland's mainstay -- and start learning the zone.

"Yeah," the coach said, "we could see it Sunday."

Desperate times call for desperate measures and, with all that has befallen them, this could be sink or swim for the Bruins.

"Our morale might be down and the season's not looking good," Anderson said. "But we're at UCLA. We have to fight back."

david.wharton@latimes.com

twitter.com/LATimesWharton
Copyright 2009, The Los Angeles Times

What happened to the days when the parents took the coach's side and said to their son, "you better go back and beg to be on the team, apologize to your teammates for being a distraction during a difficult period of time, you failed to show leadership and lock arms with your teammates and fight for every win."

Does not read like that's Zag material to me.

MickMick
12-10-2009, 05:40 PM
Using logical deduction:

If Gonzaga is showing interest in Gordon, then Few is showing interest in Gordon.

If Few is showing interest in Gordon, then Few must feel that Gordon would be a good fit at Gonzaga.

If Few feels that Gordon is a good fit at Gonzaga, then I feel Gordon is a good fit at Gonzaga.

I would welcome UCLA's best player here with open arms.

75Zag
12-10-2009, 05:51 PM
ZN, appreciate your support of GU cute women and of course I have been with the lovely Mrs. '75 since 1971, but when evaluating women, I have to ask myself, WWTD?

What Would Tiger Do?

I think he would have gone to San Diego.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MickMick
12-10-2009, 05:53 PM
I think Gonzaga would have one of the top 2 or 3 front courts if they could add Gordon to the mix. Some fan favorites may not be getting the same number of minutes, but the team would improve so long as Gordon isn't a cancer.

Few will be an excellent surgeon if it comes to cancer. But why would he take a chance if there wasn't positive upside?

Was Micah Downs the malcontent for us that Kansas fans predicted?

I don't think so.

ZagNative
12-10-2009, 06:39 PM
Few will be an excellent surgeon if it comes to cancer. But why would he take a chance if there wasn't positive upside?

Was Micah Downs the malcontent for us that Kansas fans predicted?

I don't think so.MckMick, I had just dug out and reread Micah's story and was going to post a link to a Bud Withers story (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/collegesports/2008931764_zags27.html) about him.

Talk about a kid a lot of us were skeptical about when the Zags decided to take a chance on him! And for Micah, success was hard fought as a Zag, but in the end, tell me this doesn't look like Zag Material (after the win over WKU):

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2009/03/26/2008931448.jpg

Oh, yeah, I'll trust Coach Few and Tommy Loyd and the players to decide.

I've read elsewhere where Coach Few has talked about Micah being one of the players whose development and growth as a person and as a player he (Few) is most proud of in his coaching careers.

Drew's dad couldn't put his son in better hands.

Jedster
12-10-2009, 08:25 PM
As California Zaggin' had made reference to in the SSF article, this could be a big reason why SDSU won't be his destination.

"However, we will be confused if Gordon does become an Aztec. That's because the Chancellor of the California State University system has decreed that the schools under his dominion cannot accept any mid-year transfers due to the state budget crisis."

So, this would mean Gordon would not be able to start out at SDSU until next fall which would push his eligibility even further back....if this is correct. Imagine the mayhem if they let him in and all the other students they didn't let in. Wow!

CB4
12-10-2009, 10:12 PM
If an elite team is losing there should be conflict between the players and the coaching staff. I don't think he should be judged based off that.

Check out ESPN's HS recruiting page (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=43883&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncb %2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d438 83) for Gordon. He had AZ, UW and Cal in his top three. What this tells me is that a) he chose not to go to his hometown school (Cal) and b) he seriously considered leaving the state (AZ, UW). This bodes well for GU, so I don't think staying in the Golden State is a priority for him. FWIW his major is Business Economics, shows is more than just an athlete.

Birddog
12-11-2009, 03:47 AM
If an elite team is losing there should be conflict between the players and the coaching staff. I don't think he should be judged based off tha

UCLA is an elite program. Few if any people are referring to this edition as an elite team.

cjm720
12-11-2009, 07:17 AM

In a heart beat...as long as he meshes well with our current players. With the possibility of Sacre and or Harris not being here for the full four years, and Poling's lack of development, he's needed IMO. Our front court would instantly be one of the best in the nation, and young, especially with Dower in the mix.

Go Zags!!!

vandalzag
12-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Internet speculation is fun, but the coaches and team will make the decision (if there is one to make). I remember all the internet fret about Micah, turned out to be a pretty good deal. Nobody knows what the situation down at UCLA, but I am sure the zag coachess will be speaking with Howland prior to this.
Talent alone the kid does nothing but improve the team.

rijman
12-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Here is the link to the San Diego UT article on Drew Gordon:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2009/dec/10/1s10aztransfer/

I found it interesting his sister is going to play basketball at Harvard next year and his dad played college ball. Basketball runs in the family.

CDC84
12-11-2009, 08:23 AM
According to rivals.com, Gordon also fielded offers from Duke, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Stanford, and Oregon.

Baldwinzag
12-11-2009, 08:31 AM
Gordon + Gonzaga = Ain't happenin'

Unless, of course...

http://www.bbsradio.com/userfiles/image/Image/WhenPigsFly.jpg
;)

gonwick
12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
From a UCLA team member:

"I feel like our team is a lot more united. Sometimes when things didn't go Drew's way, he'd have a fit. We'd try to help him, and he didn't want to hear it. Now that he left, we kind of feel like we need to start over."

http://www.insidesocal.com/ucla/2009/12/brief-qa-with-tyler-honeycutt.html

Sorry if this was posted already, but it sounds like if pigs were to fly and he were to come, he may be more work than Few needs at this point. Andy Katz was also less than complimentary. From what I read on multiple sites, his offensive game is very limited at this point (basically he dunks, can't hit beyond 3 feet) and he's prone to foul trouble. I haven't seen him play, so this is all just web based info, and we all know how reliable that is. As an aside, the UCLA sites are so fired up over the mess this year I ran into more than one "hire Mark Few" quote.

CDC84
12-11-2009, 08:47 AM
As an aside, the UCLA sites are so fired up over the mess this year I ran into more than one "hire Mark Few" quote.

Which is precisely why Mark would never coach at a place like that. Howland took the Bruins to three straight final 4's, and now a small segment of fans are calling for his head. It's too crazy.

BobZag
12-11-2009, 08:49 AM
Using logical deduction:

If Gonzaga is showing interest in Gordon, then Few is showing interest in Gordon.

If Few is showing interest in Gordon, then Few must feel that Gordon would be a good fit at Gonzaga.

If Few feels that Gordon is a good fit at Gonzaga, then I feel Gordon is a good fit at Gonzaga.

Gilmore the Buddhist!

BroncoZAG615
12-11-2009, 08:54 AM
Gordon + Gonzaga = Ain't happenin'

Why do you say that?

CB4
12-11-2009, 10:19 AM
Check out the list of teams pursuing this kid. We would be foolish not to put our name in the hat.

BobZag
12-11-2009, 10:25 AM
I don't see an open scholarship for him IF he chose Gonzaga. All 13 are taken. Sure, someone could transfer out, but that likely wouldn't be till after the school year.

ZagNative
12-11-2009, 10:34 AM
I don't see an open scholarship for him IF he chose Gonzaga. All 13 are taken. Sure, someone could transfer out, but that likely wouldn't be till after the school year.Same situation with Micah. He had to pay his own way, at least the first semester.

BobZag
12-11-2009, 10:38 AM
Same situation with Micah. He had to pay his own way, at least the first semester.

Unless someone transfers in a couple weeks (doubtful), that's how it would have to happen this time, too.

BroncoZAG615
12-11-2009, 10:46 AM
If Drew wants up-tempo play and I believe that was a big reason in leaving UCLA, then Gonzaga has to stand out:

per ESPN insider:

UPDATE: We find it interesting that Gordon stated he wanted to transfer from UCLA because (among other reasons) he found it hard to operate in coach Ben Howland's methodical offense. Gordon preferred a much more open and up-tempo game. So his finalists, then, are somewhat surprising. According to pace data obtained from kenpom.com, UCLA's pace is ranked 250th (66.6 possessions) in the country. San Diego State has an even slower-paced game (319th; 63.5 possessions); surprisingly, Georgetown has 68.2 possessions but their offense is methodical by nature (a Princeton-esque offense) so it seems like Gordon would be trading one offense ill-suited for his talents for a similar one. The finalist that pushes the tempo the most: Nevada (86th; 71.1 possessions).

Just sayin'

ZagNative
12-11-2009, 11:51 AM
Bronco, can you post a link for that? I'd like to see if I can find out more about their source for a supposed list, because I've searched the net up and down and can't see where there's been anything published about a list.

I did see where he's supposed to be planning to visit New Mexico, but that was stated in the Lobos' message board, and not in anything with any authority.

If we truly aren't in his list of finalists,I'd stop following the soap opera. Soap operas are only good for me when the Zags are in the leading cast.

BroncoZAG615
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
His list is based on the San Diego Union Tribune article in which Ed Gordon stated the teams that have shown early interest in his son. I believe that link is in this thread but the ESPN insider link is here. (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/features/rumors)

They haven't come out with a finalist list but I'm assuming that it will derive from the list of those schools that are interested.

CB4
12-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Wait, obviously there are no scholarships available next semester, barring a transfer, but what about next fall? He could not go to school next semester and then enroll at GU next summer or fall. Or are next year's scholarships filled out as well?

1973Zag
12-12-2009, 06:15 AM
Could we convince a college kid to take a semester off and spend the winter in Cal instead of Spokane??????

ZagAddict
12-12-2009, 07:05 AM
Just a question... would GU interest in Drew Gordon imply that we are out of the running for Kyle Wiltjer? I thought they play the same position and have similar styles of play. If it's between Gordon or Wiltjer, I'd like to take Wiltjer who can contribute immediately in 2011. Plus, I like Wiltjer's connection to the Canadian team... he's already familiar with some of our players.

Go Zags!

ZagNative
12-12-2009, 07:22 AM
Seems like we ought to hang up on further discussion until we actually hear from Gordon or his family that they're seriously considering Gonzaga. I've seen nothing other than the fact they've heard from Gonzaga, yet we're already talking about projecting which existing players will be encouraged to transfer to make room for him, which prospects get the axe, and on and on.

I'm imagining Gordon chuckling if in reality he has no interest in transferring to the Zags seeing us turn ourselves inside out about the prospect of him joining us. It shouldn't be long until we at least know which schools he plans to visit. UCLA's holiday break starts today.