• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rijman
    Zag for Life
    • Nov 2009

Drew Gordon, UCLA transfer

The San Diego UT reports today that Drew Gordon, the UCLA transfer who had a falling out with coach Howland, is getting interest from Gonzaga in addition to Georgetown, Florida, Notre Dame, Nevada, New Mexico and San Diego State. His father, Ed Gordon, played basketball for San Diego State in the early 1980's and says he "would be thrilled" if his son went there. They are still formulating their short list. He will have 2.5 years of eligibility remaining if he leaves the Pac 10.

Drew averaged 11.2 points, 5.3 rebounds and 24.5 minutes per game this season and was "rated by most prep recruiting services as a top-50 player in the nation..."

Apparently Drew had a falling out with Howland after being suspended from 2 practices for undisclosed reasons.

If Ed Gordon would be thrilled for his son to play for the Aztecs he would probably be ecstatic if he played for the Zags.

The article was written by a local staff writer from an interview with the father Ed Gordon.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!
  • hockeyzag
    Bleeds GU Blue
    • Jul 2007

I just don't know about this guy, he's obviously a great player but attitude has to count for something. He seems like a bad egg, just my opinion.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Doesn't anyone remember Bobs not so cryptic post last week about a big name guard coming out of the blue?

Comment

• Zag4Hire
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
        I just don't know about this guy, he's obviously a great player but attitude has to count for something. He seems like a bad egg, just my opinion.
        It could just be the environment/coach-player relationship. Look at Derrick Caracter at UTEP..He is thriving and but he wasn't a 'bad seed' because he didn't get along with Pitino.
        IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Comment

• dnj116
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Oct 2007

No. I'm sorry, but we are already too deep in that class as it stands and we do not need to be setting our program up for a full-blown rebuilding year in 4 years, if we aren't already. Short of a durant, wall, type player I don't think it is worth it. From my armchair coaching position, there needs to be more of a STAGGERING of the classes (like coach Few needs to be told this...)

Comment

• CDC84
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Caracter was a bad seed going back to his high school days....long before he arrived on Louisville's campus.

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

I'm assuming this is all much ado about nothing. His dad went to SDSU and I can't imagine him leavin the state of California. San Diego State seems to have a huge edge here.

That being said, I want Drew Gordon if he wants us. He's an instant impact player off the bench and since I could see Andy Poling transferring, I would thoroughly enjoy Gordon's presence on this team.

Comment

• CanadianZagFan
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Jul 2008

Originally posted by dnj116 View Post
                No. I'm sorry, but we are already have too many players in that class as it stands and we do not need to be setting our program up for a full-blown rebuilding year in 4 years (if we aren't already). Short of a durant, wall, type player I don't think it is worth it. From my archchair coaching position, there needs to be more of a STAGGERING of the classes (like coach Few needs to be told this...)
                I am not sure Harris will be a 4 year guy and I think big Rob may leave after next season. Legit 7 footers with an NBA frame are not easily found, Rob will be a 4th year junior (should have a degree) at the time and should be ready to get paid.
                So there will be a few spots opening up before the 4 years of eligibility is up.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
                  Banned
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BroncoZAG615 View Post
                  I'm assuming this is all much ado about nothing. His dad went to SDSU and I can't imagine him leavin the state of California. San Diego State seems to have a huge edge here.

That being said, I want Drew Gordon if he wants us. He's an instant impact player off the bench and since I could see Andy Poling transferring, I would thoroughly enjoy Gordon's presence on this team.
                  Whoa, whoa, whoa. I know you've got a cool blog and connections, but that is really uncalled for and I wouldn't be shocked if you get in big trouble for that. I'd delete it asap, if I were you.

Comment

• hockeyzag
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by BroncoZAG615 View Post

San Diego State's program isn't even close to our level. And if he wants to stay on the West Coast I don't see how we can't be the favorite in this situation, even if his Dad is an SDSU alum. If he wants to go to the NCAA tournament and be seen nationally, we've got to be one of his best choices.
                    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
                    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• CDC84
                      Super Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

When a kid transfers, he has to go to a place where he is 100% certain he'll get major playing time. This is it for Gordon. He can't transfer to another D-1 school after he selects his next destination.

Comment

• ZagNative
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

This is an interesting video posted on Youtube by Fanhouse. Seems like a nice kid.

Last time I looked at this thread on the Marquette board, one of their speculations was Gordon would end up at Gonzaga. They'd really like to have him but thought he'd stay west of the Mississippi.

What I read, Idon't know if here or elsewhere, was that he hasn't liked playing UCLA style of ball and, though 6'10", wanted to play a 4 instead of a 5 and wanted to play transition ball and get up and down the court. I have yet to find anything uncomplimentary about him as a person.

Drew is on the left in this pic:

It will be interesting to see if he visits over Christmas break. Obviously, it would need to be when the kids are still around campus...

Comment

• BroncoZAG615
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
                          Whoa, whoa, whoa. I know you've got a cool blog and connections, but that is really uncalled for and I wouldn't be shocked if you get in big trouble for that. I'd delete it asap, if I were you.
                          Just my opinion. Looking at the guys he has in front of him including Sam Dower who is redshirting, I don't see a lot of minutes for Andy in the future and I'm assuming the kid wants to play. He's only a redshirt freshman so he has time but I would be surprised if some transfers don't happen with all this youth. Just making an observation, not sure why this would warrant "big trouble". This has nothing to do with the site or any connections.

Comment

• Ezag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

I think Poling will be a short timer here

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CDC84 View Post
                              Caracter was a bad seed going back to his high school days....long before he arrived on Louisville's campus.
                              Most definitely... what actually "shaped him up" IMHO was leaving Louisville for a lesser school. Suddenly all of the people talking in his ears about the NBA and being some level of hoops god diminished and he is now actually having a chance to play basketball and not be in the national spotlight and not being surrounded by the unsavory characters looking to make money off of him.

I don't know enough about Gordon to be able to make any opinion on whether he is a "bad egg".
                              "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

Working...
                              X