PDA

View Full Version : A few thoughts about last night

GUZagDenver
12-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Just a few of my thoughts on the game last night:

- I thought overall, it was a pretty uninspired effort, which I get with the type of oponnent that we were playing. I was a little puzzled with how much we struggled with their pressure defense early on. It was like we were surprised that they were up in our face playing defense the way they were, and we didn't know what to do. That is going to be how Duke defends us x100.

- The timing of this game really kind of baffles me. I know that we have had a really tough road so far, but it seems like we could have gotten someone who was a little more competitive to come in.... Idaho, PSU, Seattle U, etc. If Davidson turns out to be as weak as their record says they are, I'm just not sure two cupcakes and a week off are a great preparation for Duke. I realize finals plays a part in the week off, but still.

- I really hate to keep harping on it, but I really believe Meech is starting to digress. His looks terrible on the offennsive end. He is now airballing lay-ups?? He did it twice last night. He also made some sloppy passes (which could just be a result of the oponnent and intensity of the game)

- Bol Kong can score. As his understanding of the defense and offensive sets increases, so will his minutes. I think he could be a dimension of the team that none of us were sure we woud have. He is also carries himself very confidently on the floor. He has a nice "swagger" and is not afraid to shoot. Kind of Morrison esque. I wish we had him for 4 years.

- Rob is an a slump and needs to get out of it in a bad way. He seems to be struggling with double teams badly at the moment, and it doesn't look like we are getting him the ball in the right places, like we were in Maui. We were all about pounding the ball inside early in the season, and it seems we may be drifting away from this, and I'm not sure why.

- Andy Poling's scholarship could be open next year. I thought he looked good in the minutes that he had, but if you are a scholarship guy who isn't playing more minutes than that against Augustana, something is wrong. He had a whole year to get stronger and learn the system, and still can't get on the court? Wouldn't surprise me if he transferred or was encouraged to transfer next year. If he can't play now, how is he going to play next year? Especially in adding Dower.

- I am a little perplexed by Grant Gibbs, because I can't figure out what kind of player he is going to be. I can't tell if he is going to be more of a shooter like a Kyle Bankhead, or an all around guard who does a little of everything like Matt. His mid-range shooting looks nice. He has a couple of mid-rangers with some nice touch last night.

- All Kelly needs to do to be a REALLY good player is work on his foot speed and agility. I realize that this is tough at 6-10, and may never happen, but it seems to be the only thing holding him back right now.

- I like GJ's aggressiveness last night. If he could get his outside shot going this season, I think this could really help us. He could really start to nip at Meech's heels for playing time.

- Heister and Ehlo are TERRIBLE!! The 5 minute ramble about the 1978 Cincinnatti Bengals was one of the worst pieces I have ever heard out of TV announcers. I'm usually not one to hate on these guys, but come on. Those two have to go. It's almost like they feed off of each other, which seems to make it worse. I know Ehlo is a Spokane guy, and I'm sure he's a very good person, but it sounds like they plucked him off of some farm in west Texas. He gets zero references to pop culture, and has the vocabulary of a ######ed squirrel. He is so bad it's hard to tell he knows anything about the game, because he can't explain anything in relevant terms.

jazzdelmar
12-10-2009, 06:13 AM
A+.....on all points

Reborn
12-10-2009, 06:28 AM
I am very impressed with the speed Bol Kong is improving. He looked like a starter to me last night. His defense was pretty darn sound as was his rebounding, and of course we know he can score. It was great seeing that he's going to be a scorer rather than just a shooter. He has many moves, can score inside and out, and has an explosive first step.

I am also impressed with Gibbs. I guess because I like good passing, and good, sound defense, and those are his strengths. It was also nice to see him shoot and hit that 3 'cause I believe he's a good shooter. It's so nice to see a point guard who thinks pass first vs guys like GJ who, imo, think shoot first almost every time. I do not like GJ's approach to the game at all. I'm sure he shot more than some of the starters. I also think Meech needs to learn to pass when he attacks too. IMO Gibbs is the best point guard, and I'm glad to see him getting more minutes.

The guys played really hard. I thnk Steven had a great, all-around game, and he just gave it 100% all game long which to me is just GREAT. I think this was a perfect game for the Zags. A team really needs to have some easier games too. It's just good. I also think Davidson is going to be tougher than some think, but it won't be at the level of Wake Forest or the other tough games we've had. But Davidson will come at the Zags with everything they have, and it will be a good fight, and a perfect game to prepare the Zags for Duke. I think the team's been a little burnt-out, and these slightly less intense games are just what the doctor ordered.

Birddog
12-10-2009, 06:33 AM
I know Ehlo is a Spokane guy, and I'm sure he's a very good person, but it sounds like they plucked him off of some farm in west Texas.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Ehlo

He's not a "Spokane guy", he's from Lubbock. I think Heister is more of the problem than Ehlo, if Craig was paired with a better PBP guy, he'd look/sound better, and he DOES know the game.

titopoet
12-10-2009, 06:33 AM
Heister and Ehlo are TERRIBLE!! The 5 minute ramble about the 1978 Cincinnatti Bengals was one of the worst pieces I have ever heard out of TV announcers. I'm usually not one to hate on these guys, but come on. Those two have to go. It's almost like they feed off of each other, which seems to make it worse. I know Ehlo is a Spokane guy, and I'm sure he's a very good person, but it sounds like they plucked him off of some farm in west Texas. He gets zero references to pop culture, and has the vocabulary of a ######ed squirrel. He is so bad it's hard to tell he knows anything about the game, because he can't explain anything in relevant terms.

Agreed. I turned down the volume and turn on 1510 to get some sanity. Richard Fox and Tom Hudson are so much better.

rijman
12-10-2009, 06:47 AM
- I am a little perplexed by Grant Gibbs, because I can't figure out what kind of player he is going to be. I can't tell if he is going to be more of a shooter like a Kyle Bankhead, or an all around guard who does a little of everything like Matt. His mid-range shooting looks nice. He has a couple of mid-rangers with some nice touch last night.

- I like GJ's aggressiveness last night. If he could get his outside shot going this season, I think this could really help us. He could really start to nip at Meech's heels for playing time.

Gibbs impressed me last night and now I see that court vision and passing ability I have been hearing about. I thought he played very well.

GJ appears to out of control too much on offense. He takes poor shots or tries to take it to the basket off balance and out of control. He's quick and has good potential, he just needs to gain some experience and poise.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2009, 08:59 AM
Looks like we're headed for a 4th place finish in the WCC... :mad:

C'mon folks...isn't this Final Exams week? It was during my four years at GU. Augustana was so amped up for this game it was obvious. I'll give the guys slack if they couldn't show the same level of intensity.

I noticed that Wisconsin lost last night to that unheralded hoops powerhouse, UW-Milwaukee. Our RPI must have really taken a hit on that one!

Sheesh!

zaguarxj
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Rob is in a slump? He shot 4-5 and grabbed 4 rebounds in only 18 minutes of playing. If that's a slump, I hope he keeps slumping all year.

Ezag
12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
I think GJ tends to have the same problem that Meech has and they they are too fast and out of control at times. Pushing the ball up the floor is fine but then taking it in and throwing it away, losing control,and taking the ill-advised shot is more norm than not.

I am not sure if Poling is going to have a career as a role player or career like Foster, but it is not looking good for him.

Kong, Arop, Gibbs, Olynyk all look like they will be solid and regular contributors.

dnj116
12-10-2009, 09:03 AM
GJ appears to out of control too much on offense. He takes poor shots or tries to take it to the basket off balance and out of control.

Need to keep in mind a couple things with GJ. First, he hasn't been getting many minutes this season and probably saw last night as his opportunity to show that he could put up some offense. From his perspective (and of course merely speculating) he sees his best shot at more PT by showing he can put up more numbers than Meech. Some of the rushed shots, etc. can be attributed to freshman jitters, inexperience, etc. As a highly touted recruit I think he was taking what was given him. As he gets more PT, experience, and maturity I think he will impress. The flaws you mentioned are pretty typical of a freshman PG in his position IMO.

Ezag
12-10-2009, 09:07 AM
Need to keep in mind a couple things with GJ. First, he hasn't been getting many minutes this season and probably saw last night as his opportunity to show that he could put up some offense. From his perspective (and of course merely speculating) he sees his best shot at more PT by showing he can put up more numbers than Meech. Some of the rushed shots, etc. can be attributed to freshman jitters, inexperience, etc. As a highly touted recruit I think he was taking what was given him. As he gets more PT, experience, and maturity I think he will impress. The flaws you mentioned are pretty typical of a freshman PG in his position IMO.

You're right, he does need more time. I think in the end he will be better than Meech

MedZag
12-10-2009, 09:22 AM
A+.....on all points

Agreed.

Gibbs looked lost out there the first couple games of the season. He's starting to look more and more like Matt Jr. these days. That full court pass last night... it takes a certain type of player to see and make that pass.

gamagin
12-10-2009, 09:28 AM
according to Few & one of the assistants (I can't remember, but possibly Tommy or Ray G, over the course of several interviews), many of our guys came away from the past several games with bruises and needed a little time.

Plus this is finals week. So take the natural letting up after Maui and before the BIS and the season itself, the need to keep or catch up with school, get some sleep and do something other than keep your pedal to the metal, you hold a glorified practice with a DIII team.

And they did. Unfortunately, MB may have suffered a concussion in a freak head banging under the net. Otherwise it was a workout in which our guys were not pounding each other for a change.

So despite the thoughtful analyses above, this was a game designed to buy some time and get some rest, catch up with school work, finish the semester and still fill out the schedule. It was not to add pressure to an already fairly pressure-filled schedule and fix all the "things" that need to be fixed.

It doesn't remove any of the needs and wants of the coaches, us fans and this team to keep improving, but it apparently did (according to an assistant in the post game show I heard as i drove home) give them somewhat of a break during a very busy off-court week between pre season tournaments.

And that's the way this game looked to me upon reflection. Nothing more, nothing less.

Here's hoping everyone gets through their finals and a little rest before the pace quickens at the BIS.

Go TEAM Zags !

NovaZag
12-10-2009, 09:34 AM
I noticed that Wisconsin lost last night to that unheralded hoops powerhouse, UW-Milwaukee. Our RPI must have really taken a hit on that one!

Sheesh!

They lost to Green Bay who will be a dangerous team this year. Probably second best in the Horizon.

TexasZagFan
12-10-2009, 10:41 AM
They lost to Green Bay who will be a dangerous team this year. Probably second best in the Horizon.

Thanks for the correction...my bad. Go easy on the negative rep, please! :lmao:

U Zig, I Zag
12-10-2009, 10:59 AM
Rob is in a slump? He shot 4-5 and grabbed 4 rebounds in only 18 minutes of playing. If that's a slump, I hope he keeps slumping all year.

It's the way he looks - very uncomfortable with the ball (though most bigs are- not all though), the double-teams really bother him and several of the makes were mostly uncontested which puts as much credit towards the passer as the recipient. Rob needs to be able to consistently be in the center of chaos and pass out or make the right move.

I wouldn't mind 4-10 if EACH shot was created with a good move, back to the basket, even a single dribble drive. There was a play on the baseline, on an inbounds I think, that Sacre lost the ball or got it pulled out of his hands by 140lb PG or whatever and I just about lost it.

They should review what I would call all the 'bad handles/choices' plays and set them up at practice and at the moment of failure yell, 'FREEZE'. Put Matt into that spot and say, 'now what you do Matt?'.

Something has changed though since Maui... not sure if it is touches or what, but Rob has lost some mojo.

Robzagnut
12-10-2009, 12:16 PM
- I really hate to keep harping on it, but I really believe Meech is starting to digress. His looks terrible on the offennsive end. He is now airballing lay-ups?? He did it twice last night. He also made some sloppy passes (which could just be a result of the oponnent and intensity of the game)

He'll be fine. Defense never takes a day off.

- Bol Kong can score. As his understanding of the defense and offensive sets increases, so will his minutes. I think he could be a dimension of the team that none of us were sure we woud have. He is also carries himself very confidently on the floor. He has a nice "swagger" and is not afraid to shoot. Kind of Morrison esque. I wish we had him for 4 years.

See my previous quotes about Kong being the key to GU making a run to the Elite 8.

- Andy Poling's scholarship could be open next year. I thought he looked good in the minutes that he had, but if you are a scholarship guy who isn't playing more minutes than that against Augustana, something is wrong. He had a whole year to get stronger and learn the system, and still can't get on the court? Wouldn't surprise me if he transferred or was encouraged to transfer next year. If he can't play now, how is he going to play next year? Especially in adding Dower.

Poling will take Foster's place next year. He has 4 full years and some players just develop slower. Remember Ronny's freshman year? We'll see what type of a jump he makes from freshman to sophomore when the biggest jumps usually occur.

GG will be a mirror image of Matt Bouldin next year. Same style, same court vision, same passing ability. He'll just need a chat from Few about "Stepping up and taking control."

- All Kelly needs to do to be a REALLY good player is work on his foot speed and agility. I realize that this is tough at 6-10, and may never happen, but it seems to be the only thing holding him back right now.

You're right. Once Dower shows up next year (and if Poling develops) it's highly likely that KO will move to the 3 spot where he seems a better fit.

I want to see him perform that way against Division I competition.

Oregon Zag
12-10-2009, 12:25 PM
Speaking of last night, I wonder how Matt's head is. He posted on Twitter,

"Feelin better. This isn't my first rodeo."

LynetteG
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
This game was like a breeze (timed workout) for race horses, you just work them out enough to keep them fit, put some air into their lungs, and get them ready for the next big race. No need for a bullet work (fastest worktime of the day), just give them something to keep them focused and sharp for their next start.