PDA

View Full Version : Rebounding...becoming an issue?

Baldwinzag
12-09-2009, 06:58 PM
After Maui Championship, we appeared to be in good shape as far as rebounding was concerned. However, the story has drastically changed since we returned stateside.

The Zags have been out-rebounded pretty handidly the past two games and completely man-handled on the offensive glass by a margin of 32 to 14.:eek:

Given our rebounding success in Maui against some of the best rebounding clubs in the country, why haven't we been able to compete on the boards since Cincy game?

What gives?

***P.S.-> Although we have a considerable height & size advantage, Augustana is still beating us on the offensive glass by nearly double: 17-10.:mad: I know they've attempted(& missed) more three's than most teams, but still a statistic that raises some eyebrows. Heck, the overall rebounding margin is just GU +4. Small fry success on the glass vs a DIII team.

As mentioned above, is this an area to be concerned about?

MickMick
12-09-2009, 07:12 PM
Not as much intensity and effort.

Baldwinzag
12-09-2009, 07:24 PM
Not as much intensity and effort.

I hear ya'.

Or free throws for that matter--we shot 57% tonight (17 of 30). Ugly.

Since we're on the "potential issue" train, did it appear as the refs were targeting Elias? He racked up 4 fouls in just a few minutes and was even whistled for a foul during a rebound. I about flew out of my chair. When I rewinded the tape, I didn't see a foul by EH during the box out. Elias just put his hands up in the air, shrugged, and ran to the other side of the court. As Zag fans, we can only hope and presume the refs won't unfairly target him or keep an extra "eye" on him at all times.

Ziggy
12-09-2009, 07:48 PM
The freshman need extended time at the line in practice and EH needs to stop putting his shoulder down when he drives to the hoop. Is that a Euro ball trait? Also, better position for rebounds might eliminate the need to go over the back, even if it is clean.

Angelo Roncalli
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
QUOTE=Baldwinzag;496377]

***P.S.-> Although we have a considerable height & size advantage, Augustana is still beating us on the offensive glass by nearly double: 17-10.:mad: I know they've attempted(& missed) more three's than most teams, but still a statistic that raises some eyebrows. Heck, the overall rebounding margin is just GU +4. Small fry success on the glass vs a DIII team.

As mentioned above, is this an area to be concerned about?[/QUOTE]

If you watch the replay, check how many of those offensive rebounds were long, wild rebounds from the many, many threes Augie clanged.

alaskazagnut
12-09-2009, 08:42 PM
#15 nationally in the DivIII AP ranking. They are a great Div III team that needed to gauge themselves against a Div I team. Now they can really beat up on their conference.

It should be considered a "bye" week for us and come Saturday we will need all of the starters back in full swing for Davidson.

jeremymccreary
12-09-2009, 09:38 PM
putting in Foster.... he played 8 minutes and had 2 offensive boards.... he might look clumsy at times.... but news flash... HE'S 7'5"!!!!!!!!!!

Pargo the Destroyer
12-09-2009, 10:00 PM
How tall is he?

DoMieD
12-09-2009, 11:15 PM
How tall is he?

6'5"???

lol

NovaZag
12-09-2009, 11:16 PM
I agree with Mick. Less intensity, less focus. Need to learn how to maintain a certain level of effort from game to game. We know they can be a good rebounding team-- hopefully they can learn to be more consistent as the season progresses.

BDog94
12-09-2009, 11:17 PM
"Although we have a considerable height & size advantage, Augustana is still beating us on the offensive glass by nearly double: 17-10"

Did you actually watch the game?? Have you every played basketball? Ever?

When a team takes 21 deep 3's and MISSES 20 of them, what do you think happens to the missed shots?? They clang off 5-10 feet from the rim making a fundamentally sound box-out good for absoulutely nothing. Those missed shots merely sails over our boys' heads and into the hands of smaller players who have been boxed out.

For criminy sakes, they shot less than 5% from 3 point range while taking 21 shots (which was 33% of their total shot selection). If getting out rebounded on offensive boards while defending 3's to less than 5% shooting means the stinking box score reflects a few more O-boards for a team, well I would take that box score every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

PLEASE take things in context and put a little thought into the 'omg the house is on fire' posts'.

ronh_pm
12-10-2009, 05:06 AM
For criminy sakes, they shot less than 5%from 3 point range while taking 21 shots (which was 33% of their total shot selection).

Wow. I didn't use the word "ciminy" until at least my 15th post. Welcome aboard!

gustudentmd
12-10-2009, 05:36 AM
The Augies also had 46 opprotunities for offensive rebounds (FGA-FGM) as opposed to GU's 28. I''m not saying the effort doesn't need to be improved but the numbers do need to be considered.

hondo
12-10-2009, 08:27 AM
"They clang off 5-10 feet from the rim making a fundamentally sound box-out good for absoulutely nothing."
Actually good positioning puts the defensive rebounder at a huge disadvantage when the rebound goes long as it did many times last night because most of those shots were missed badly sending the rebound out to about the freethrow line.