PDA

View Full Version : Unheralded Northwest Rivalries...

dpouley
12-08-2009, 09:11 AM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/301795-top-11-unheralded-northwest-sports-rivalries

BroncoZAG615
12-08-2009, 09:19 AM
Washington fans vs. Reality > Zags v. Boise, IMO

sittingon50
12-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Lurknomore
12-08-2009, 10:33 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...............

Thought it was a pretty stupid article. Two thumbs up for FuMan and his response.

Angelo Roncalli
12-08-2009, 10:52 AM
The ultimate sports rivalries in the PNW are the UW athletic departments long-standing conflicts with (a) NCAA rules; and (b) honesty. I know, they're kind of intertwined.

TheZagPhish
12-08-2009, 11:57 AM
The ultimate sports rivalries in the PNW are the UW athletic departments long-standing conflicts with (a) NCAA rules; and (b) honesty. I know, they're kind of intertwined.

Pow!

Psychozag
12-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Too bad the author couldn't apply some of his fantastic insight and razor sharp wit to the Husky program. It would almost make you think that he was a Husky apologist...oh wait, he is. His favorite coach is Lorenzo Romar. Pretty much sums that article up.

titopoet
12-08-2009, 12:40 PM
Too bad the author couldn't apply some of his fantastic insight and razor sharp wit to the Husky program. It would almost make you think that he was a Husky apologist...oh wait, he is. His favorite coach is Lorenzo Romar. Pretty much sums that article up.

Are you kidding, read his whining about how the 10th best team (http://seattlesportsnet.com/2009/12/03/warm-heartfelt-analysis-of-the-uw-texas-tech-game/#comment-3739) in the Big-12 took out his huskies. He has the gall to call out Klay and leave Quincy Pondexter,who has gotten his numbers with even lesser opponents, untouched.

He has a major case puppy blindness.

I think it our duty as Zags fans to leave reminders in his comment page of how the Huskies are the most overrated team destined (with hard work, grit, and a whole lot of luck) for the NIT or CBI.

Kiddwell
12-08-2009, 01:58 PM
He has a major case puppy blindness.

Or, a major case of UWKFC deep-fried, extra viscous cholesterol.

:]

maynard g krebs
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
An aside about his "inspiration", Ian Furness. Every once in a while, if I feel the need to purge my intestines, I'll flip the car radio to KJR. In early September, after the infamous Boise UO football game, this genius was chortling about Chip Kelly being "head over skis", and gloating about the imminent return of UW ftbl to NW supremacy with the fall of the Ducks.

dpouley
12-08-2009, 03:37 PM
An aside about his "inspiration", Ian Furness. Every once in a while, if I feel the need to purge my intestines, I'll flip the car radio to KJR. In early September, after the infamous Boise UO football game, this genius was chortling about Chip Kelly being "head over skis", and gloating about the imminent return of UW ftbl to NW supremacy with the fall of the Ducks.

Furness is a coug and a big one at that. Are you sure it was him?

23dpg
12-08-2009, 03:39 PM
Why post that dpouley?
It seems a little uncharacteristic of you. I know you are a tried and true Husky and that's cool but this seems a little trollish. Maybe you were trying to be funny and I missed it.

kitzbuel
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
I wish I had drank a beer instead of reading that since they both kill brain cells.

billyberu
12-08-2009, 05:33 PM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever wasted my time reading. Ever.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Wow.. I don't understand why Husky fans (and many cougar fans) are so jealous of Gonzaga basketball and Boise State football.. I guess I missed the memo that said "Being in a good conference automatically makes you good." First off, Boise State would consistently destroy UW and WSU on a yearly basis.. Gonzaga basketball has already proved that.

I'm so tired of this sh!t that I don't even know what to say. You'd think that after getting destroyed head to head for a decade, and being outperformed in March would do the trick.. I guess not. Gonzaga could win 4 National Titles in a row, and still wouldn't get respect from WSU and UW fans.. Jealousy

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-08-2009, 05:42 PM
Somebody really sure create their own Article, Comparing UW's last 11 basketball seasons to Gonzaga's last 11 basketball seasons.

MickMick
12-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Thanks dpouley for linking me to this. Three minutes of my life that I can never get back.

I hereby declare Bleacher Report to be a steaming pile of poo.

Martin Centre Mad Man
12-08-2009, 06:30 PM
Somebody really sure create their own Article, Comparing UW's last 11 basketball seasons to Gonzaga's last 11 basketball seasons.

Ask and ye shall receive:

1999 - Gonzaga falls to eventual National Champion UCONN in one of the most thrilling Elite 8 David v. Goliath struggles in recent memory.

1999 - UW loses to Wally Sczerbiak and Miami of Ohio in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

2000 - Gonzaga reaches Sweet 16. UW fails to make the PAC-10 Tournament.

2001 - Gonzaga reaches Sweet 16. UW fails to make the PAC-10 Tournament.

2002 - 6th Seeded Zags lose to 11th Seeded Wyoming in the first round of NCAA Tournament. UW misses the postseason.

2003 - 9th Seeded Zags down 8th seeded Cincinatti then battle top-seeded Arizona to 96-95 double overtime loss. UW misses the PAC-10 Tourney.

2004 - Gonzaga loses to Nevada in 2nd Round upset. UW makes the NCAA tourney and loses to UAB in the first round.

2005 - Zags reach second round of NCAA tourney before falling to Texas Tech. UW reaches Sweet 16 as a No. 1 seed where they are upset by fourth seeded Louisville. This was the only time in the past ten years when UW outlasted the Zags in the NCAA tourney.

2006 - Zags reach Sweet 16 where they lose to eventual national runner-up UCLA. UW loses to UCONN in Sweet 16.

2007 - Zags fall to Indiana in first round of NCAA tourney. UW misses the postseason.

2008 - Zags fall to Davidson in first round of NCAA tourney. UW falls to Valparaiso in first round of College Basketball Invitational.

2009 - Zags reach Sweet 16. UW falls to Miss St. in second round of NCAA tournament.

There you have it.

Gonzaga - One Elite 8 appearance; five Sweet Sixteen Appearances; 11 consecutive NCAA tournament appearances; and 14 total NCAA tournament wins.

UW - Two Sweet 16s; five total NCAA wins; five NCAA tournament appearances; and one CBI appearance.

The Huskies are obviously the premier college basketball program in the State of Washington.

MickMick
12-08-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey Martin,

This is the best summary ever. Include beating UW eight of last nine and the defense rests.

Gonzaga > UW

kyle dixon
12-08-2009, 08:12 PM
2007-Spencer Hawes and Brockman get ankles taped up for postseason practice on Selection Sunday. Oops, no NCAA, and no NIT tourney for the Huskies. As they say in Seinfeld "no soup for you".
2008-UW buys way in to CBI tourney field after missing NCAA and NIT field. Too many missed free throws leads to UW's demise in home game.
2009-UW frat boys/alums take over hotel where both Zags and Purdue are staying for Portland NCAA field. UW reps talk trash all weekend and even go up to Coach Painter and the Purdue AD telling them that they are weak and from Big 10. Zag Addict watches this unfold and has last laugh and goes up to Coach Painter and Boiler AD and just tells them that there is nothing to worry about. Someone took the 3:10 to Yuma and it was not Purdue----

Kyle

Psychozag
12-08-2009, 08:54 PM
And don't forget that as part of the 2005 least deserved #1 seed of all time (another year they lost to the Zags), the team took a beefcake photo in tuxedos. This is the true shame of Husky basketball and will never be forgotten.

Spokane, Wash. (AP) - Adam Morrison scored a career high 26 points and Ronny Turiaf had 23 points and 13 rebounds as Gonzaga upset No. 14 Washington 99-87 on Wednesday for its seventh straight win over the Huskies.

The Bulldogs (4-1) bounced back against their cross-state rival after a loss to No. 5 Illinois last Saturday.

Nate Robinson led Washington (4-1) with 22 points, including four 3-pointers.

The Huskies were without second-leading scorer Brandon Roy, who had surgery Tuesday for a lateral meniscus tear in his right knee. Roy, averaging 18 points per game, will miss four to six weeks.

His absence allowed Morrison and Sean Mallon, who had 16 points, to score from the paint. Meanwhile, Derek Raivio had 21 points, including 5-of-6 from 3-point range.

Gonzaga led from the opening tip, building a 29-19 lead before Robinson tied it 33-all on two technical foul shots with 4:21 remaining in the first half. Gonzaga pulled ahead for a 39-38 halftime lead.

The game was tied four times in the second half before Gonzaga pulled away from 59-all tie with 13 minutes remaining. Three-pointers by Raivio and Morrison helped Gonzaga build a 92-82 lead with 2:25 to play.

Jamaal Williams had 18 points for Washington and Will Conroy added 14. Mike Jensen scored 13 and Bobby Jones had 12 points for the Huskies.

dpouley
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
Why post that dpouley?
It seems a little uncharacteristic of you. I know you are a tried and true Husky and that's cool but this seems a little trollish. Maybe you were trying to be funny and I missed it.

It discussed the Zags quite a bit and I thought it was funny. It was not intended to be trollish, it was intended to be something to discuss.

I don't agree with the final comments about GU and Boise State, but the rest of the stuff in that article is funny. I assumed that many would disagree with the article, but that some could find humor in it as I did. Guess I was wrong.

Are people on this board offended by the comments on Gray? Few? Or is it just the last part that makes everyone angry?

alaskazagnut
12-08-2009, 10:36 PM
this is a passive aggressive UW article and the negative tone and unflattering remarks are only fuel for the fire we are used to with most UW fans.

About the only positive thing about not playing UW for several years straight is that there are far less flamers and trolls lurking here to make anonymous jabs and insults after the GU/UW games. They tired of losing so the dregs would come over here and spout out about the refs, how overrated we are and that we don't have football.

dpouley, you are not one of them.

I have to admit that it was humorous and somewhat original.

wazZag
12-09-2009, 07:33 AM
Sports fan's internet usage tip:

Don't click on anything that says "Bleacher Report."

TimZag
12-09-2009, 07:50 AM
Wow... you guys need to lighten up. Most of that was funny.

zag944
12-09-2009, 08:08 AM
certainley not trollish. cmon guys, lighten up.

obviously the writer is biased...who cares. I like Bill Simmons even though I hate Boston sports with every fiber of my being.

#1 is ridiculous of course. he obviously forgets that GU is America's team :) and that Boise State is playing in their 2nd Fiesta Bowl in like 4 years

LongIslandZagFan
12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
Wow... you guys need to lighten up. Most of that was funny.

Actually, only a UW fan could actually find anything amusing about it. I thought it was mediocre at best and the attempts at humor fell flat.

Mr. Hand/Few comparison... all it had going for it was a very slight similarity.

Gray rant... not even sure where to start with that one. Lets call it feeble at best and leave it at that.

TJH letter might have approached humor but still fell short.

The whole BSU GU fan base comments came across as nothing more than someone bitter at being overshadowed year after year in hoops and football. BTW we don't feel entitled, we all know it could end someday and we are all just enjoying the improbable ride we have been on.

lothar98zag
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM

so true.

TexasZagFan
12-09-2009, 10:22 AM
That is the dumbest thing I have ever wasted my time reading. Ever.

+1

I envision the intrepid correspondent as one who still lives at home with his parents, and spends five hours a day on his fantasy league teams.

dpouley
12-09-2009, 11:36 AM

Exactly, I just assume that anything on Bleacher Report is going to be filled with opinion, opinion and more opinion. It is a website that allows anyone to write articles for them.

maynard g krebs
12-09-2009, 12:31 PM
Furness is a coug and a big one at that. Are you sure it was him?

It was the 1-3 time slot, 2 guys talking. Not sure who the other guy was, it may have been the other guy talking up the Huskies. Both were ridiculing Kelly. Cougs generally seem to hate Ducks too. Wasn't aware Furness was a Coug, never listen more than 2 min. at a time.

dpouley
12-09-2009, 01:16 PM
It was the 1-3 time slot, 2 guys talking. Not sure who the other guy was, it may have been the other guy talking up the Huskies. Both were ridiculing Kelly. Cougs generally seem to hate Ducks too. Wasn't aware Furness was a Coug, never listen more than 2 min. at a time.

Furness is an idiot, and I do not listen to him either. I guess in hindsight all those that ridiculed Kelly (I will admit that I did) are the ones that put their feet in their mouths.

UberZagFan
12-09-2009, 03:33 PM
How is this:

UW falls to Valparaiso in first round of College Basketball Invitational.

Any different from this:?

UW misses the postseason.

primal23
12-09-2009, 03:37 PM
This thread reeks of chicken....err... I mean Dawg crap:lmao: