PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever read the book "Great Expectations"?

gozagswoohoo
12-08-2009, 07:27 AM
Ok, well this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that, but the title of the book fits well here.

This will be a fairly short rant from me, which I don't do often, but just felt the need this morn for some reason.

There are about 112 threads on the board right now about Meech, Sacre, Gray, and Bouldin at some point or another not playing 'well enough' or to the best of their abilities, or not consistent enough.

You have to realize that each game is going to be VERY different. For instance, yes, Gray went off like a crazy fool in Maui and it was GREAT. People are now saying he has 'disappeared' the last couple games. That is so untrue, his role has been DIFFERENT than it needed to be in Maui. He needed to D up a couple of the best players in the country, and he did so. What would you rather have, Gray score 18-20 points, or Gray score 6-7 points and hold the opposing teams leading scorer and phenom to HALF of his normal average. I can promise you, it takes A LOT of work to shut a player like that down. It's not that he is trying now less than he did in Maui. I promise you, Gray will score in the mid to upper twenties more than a few times the rest of the year.

What does everyone expect? They complain when Gray or Meech or Sacre scores 15-20 one game and then not the next. Well...when they don't score 20, someone else does. It can't happen EVERY single game or we would score 150 points. Based on different matchups, different gameplans, etc, there will be games that play out a lot different than the one before.

THIS DOESN'T MEAN A PARTICULAR PLAYER HAS STOPPED TRYING, OR NOT PLAYING HIS HARDEST, OR HAS DISAPPEARED.

**Steps off soapbox**

PS- I'm not saying not to post your thoughts, it's a message board, that's what it's here for, but I just felt the need to explain that it's not really possible for every guy to score near career highs all at once, every game.

Anyways, I am often not very good at explaining myself with things like this, it can come across very jumbled. I hope you atleast see part of my point.

TwoCatsOne
12-08-2009, 07:56 AM
I too have noticed that some members of this board tend to eat their own young when things are going well.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-08-2009, 08:42 AM
whats this.......? A sane well thought out post not bashing someone or something, in the mbb? say it aint so. Woohoo, you take your logic and thoughtfulness somewhere else, THIS ISNT THE PLACE!

:D

gozagswoohoo
12-08-2009, 09:05 AM
whats this.......? A sane well thought out post not bashing someone or something, in the mbb? say it aint so. Woohoo, you take your logic and thoughtfulness somewhere else, THIS ISNT THE PLACE!

:D

Trust me...it felt VERY odd typing out some serious thoughts...I'll try not to let it happen again...

TacomaZAG
12-08-2009, 09:33 AM
Great post, maybe there is still a place for thoughtful, reality based posts here on the "interweb". I guess we can hope...........

Nice literary reference, showing off that GU education again.....

Go ZAGS

krozman
12-08-2009, 09:46 AM
"Look over there young man, do you see her?"

Krozman: uh huh

"she is pretty, is she not?"

krozman: uh huh

"That, my dear, is a Gonzaga Bulldog. One day you will fall in love with her. She will appear more necessary than oxygen to you. But, my dear, she will break your heart. She will turn the ball over, shoot poor free throws, and lose games she should have won. But you will still love her. I tell you this, because it is inevitable. NOW DANCE WITH HER!!!"

krozman: ok!

:p This is where I thought you were going. Way to mislead us !

RenoZag
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I didn't read "A Tale of Two Cities" either. . .but your post, woohoo, is a gem !

gozagswoohoo
12-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I guess if I would have to pick...my post most likely follows the book "The Donner Party" where a group of settlers traveling West gets stuck in a snowy mountain pass and end up eating eachother.

Xin Loi 67
12-08-2009, 10:59 AM
Have you seen "The Dirty Dozen"? That's what we've got here. Don't know how to hang pics. here and can't remember the names but many of the characters are similar. Anybody?

Oregon Zag
12-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Good points, WOOHOO! That definitely needed saying.

Kiddwell
12-08-2009, 02:08 PM
..."Winter Dreams."

:]

<F. Scott Fitzgerald, btw>

maynard g krebs
12-08-2009, 02:54 PM
To quote the late, great Kurt Vonnegut, youth today have no interest in the classics. "They would ask impudent questions, such as, ' whafo I wanna read no Tale of Two Cties, whafo' ".

mendiant
12-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Big hugs for you woohoo!

I'd rep you but for The Man!

zagfan24
12-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks WooHoo. I always enjoy your humorous interjections (as well as serious ones), they are an important reminder that what is getting people so hot and bothered is a game in which 18-23 year olds are putting a ball in a hoop. Nothing more.

We all have days at school/work/life where, effort aside, we are more effective or less effective than others. I could probably study a bit harder and be a better grad student, I could prep for clients more and be a better therapist, and I could buy more flowers and be a better boyfriend...but it turns out life is all about balance. The Zags have that, and in the end the coaches, players, and team as a whole give us a hell of a lot to be proud of.

Radbooks
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Nicely said and I couldn't agree more!!

alaskazagnut
12-08-2009, 08:29 PM
the book was gonna be titled "A Zag fans' Great Expectation".

I'll give you the short version: Another Decade of Excellence.

sellyanes
12-08-2009, 09:14 PM
Hi Gozagswoohoo,
A young orphan named Pip is the main character in Charles Dickens's novel Great Expectations. Beginning from humble origins in the home of his guardians, Pip's eye is drawn to a more lavish and aristocratic lifestyle when he meets the eccentric old Miss Havisham and her beautiful niece Estella. An unexpected fortune from a mysterious donor draws Pip closer to the glamorous life and people he desires, and yet further from those who truly love him. As life sends a series of ups and downs his way, Pip is forced to confront hard facts about his chosen lifestyle and learn who his true friends are. A novel with two different endings, Great Expectations is a brilliant example of Dickens's expertly crafted plots, unforgettable characters, sparkling humor, and touching observations of human life.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-08-2009, 09:49 PM
His guy needs a proper gu board welcome.

Woohoo?........can you do the honors?

alaskazagnut
12-08-2009, 10:23 PM
gozagswoohoo usually speaks literally, straight forward and precisely, but this thread was accidental from the real message board he frequents, the "Classic novels written by Charles Dickens book club" message board. He is known as "goDickenswoohoo" on that board.

I remember only a couple years ago when I had 300 posts, a newbie showed up here with his first post. He had found his new home and side/religion: GUBoards. Now he has over 3300 posts and about as much factual proven knowledge as when he started.

Rangerzag
12-09-2009, 03:12 AM
Thanks for the post WooHoo, but don't be too disappointed if you only reach the choir.

RenoZag
12-09-2009, 05:22 AM
sellyanes = spammer