PDA

View Full Version : Zags are in the Top Ten...twice

Zerogame
12-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Just one man's opionion, but I doubt Zag fans will disagree. Chris Chase's The Top Ten basketball games of the decade.

6. Gonzaga 109, Michigan State 106 (3OT) -- Regular season, 2005

Even though it took place the day before Thanksgiving in a small gym in Maui, this game had all the intensity of a Final Four contest and was played even better. Jim O'Connell wrote for The Associated Press after the game: "If the game was played in March instead of late November, it would have gone down as one of the sport's all-time classics. It still should."

4. UCLA 73, Gonzaga 71 -- Regional semifinal, 2006 NCAA tournament

A transcript of Gus Johnson's call of the final 15 seconds of the game:

And a steal! Farmar! Inside! The freshman ... up and ... (unintelligible) they go in front! Ravio! Last chance to dance. OH WHAT A GAME!!! WHAT. A. GAME! UCLA! UNBELIEVABLE! AFTER BEING DOWN BY 17, HEARTBREAK CITY!

And then Adam Morrison cried.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/blog/the_dagger/post/The-10-best-NCAA-basketball-games-of-the-decade?urn=ncaab,204755

TRUST IN FEW!

ZagNative
12-07-2009, 10:14 PM
How could the 2003 NCAA tournament game between Arizona-Zags not be on that list???? Knock off that UCLA game, which was clearly blown by the Zags and evokes nothing but painful memories for Zag fans and substitute the Arzona game, which both sides agreed that was one of the all-time great games!

This highlight video brings it all back! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKBC3SzjxzU)

Or follow this playlist (http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=6E675578A2EA6723) of all six segments to see the whole game (Click the "play all videos" to bring up one after another in Youtube)

ZagNative
12-07-2009, 10:34 PM
nice research and observations in your post, Mal.

The writer's omission of the March 22, 2003, game between the Zags and AZ was inexcusable, but it did at least give me an excuse to go back and watch that highlight video again. The atmosphere in that game was electric, from start to finish.

I remember standing up three feet from the television with my heart hammering through most of that game, and when it was finally over, though certainly disappointed at our loss, feeling enormous pride about our team. One for the ages, whether that writer acknowledges it or not. If anyone had any doubts about the heart, character, and talent of Gonzaga basketball before then, that game taught them differently.

Man, we've had some great ones come through this place!

alaskazagnut
12-08-2009, 12:32 AM
has the Elite 8 win against Florida as my #1 all time game. "The Runner" still makes me emotional. It is awesome we are mentioned twice.

bullzag23
12-08-2009, 08:00 AM
has the Elite 8 win against Florida as my #1 all time game. "The Runner" still makes me emotional. It is awesome we are mentioned twice.

Wait....we have an elite 8 WIN? :p

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-08-2009, 08:10 AM
The Arizona game I think is one of the all time great games. Despite the fact we lost, as Mal pointed out, Zona had a team literally full of NBA players, and we fought them to an absolute standstill. Unbelievable.

Watching Blake hit those threes from NBA range and beyond makes me miss him something fierce. When are we going to have another Stepp/Dickau? Bouldin certainly making a case this year though.