PDA

View Full Version : Gray on Few Show!

WhitworthZAG
12-07-2009, 04:32 PM
Not sure which episode this was from, but didn't anyone think it was odd that Gray said he didn't play any basketball during the summer? Few also commented about the coaches having to motivate him to make basketball more of a priority.

alldaye
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Exactly! Gray was asked something like, "so how much did you work on your game this summer?" Gray, ".....Not as much as most ha ha." Come on. Don't just admit that, especially now that it's starting to show. That bugged me a little.

Bouldin4Prez
12-07-2009, 05:15 PM
Give this kid a flipping break, there are some of the biggest flip floppers on this board and frankly its getting a little old. The kid was just the MVP of the Maui invitational. This team wasn't even projected to be as good as they are this year and now they are way ahead of expectations, now they are in the top 25 with combined losses of 6 points. Gray worked over the summmer on becoming a better person and leader, and it has shown on the court this year. He is no longer just a jump shooter, now he is a facilitator, defender, and a guy that can create his own shot.

My 2 cents

Go Zags

alldaye
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I still like Steven Gray, but at the moment Arop and Kong are playing as good or better. Steven's last 2 games combined his stats read: 15 pts, 0-5 3pt, 9-13 fts (missed 2 key ones), 3-12 fg, 6 reb, 3 ast, 8 TO, 2 stl. His fg%, 3pt % are both down. Ast only up 1 even with 7 more min and ball in hands much more. Has tripled TO per game, and stl are down too. Just sayin...

Bouldin4Prez
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
You are comparing Kong and Arop to Gray while he is continually guarding their best player for 35+ minutes a game and held the leading score in the nation to 12 less than his season average. He also forced a future lottery pick in Aminu out of his comfort zone and forced him into an off night. Kong and Arop are asked to fulfill a much more basic role in the offense that Gray is. I'm not disagreeing that his offense is off right now, but I think he will get out of it in the next week and continue his tear.

alldaye
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Ok, fair enough. I agree with most. I have been impressed with his defense for the most part, though I really don't think Klay Thompson is the best scorer in the nation, and he had help on Aminu. Also, Manny played just as well defensively on Thompson and Aminu. I just love what Manny brings, but agree that Gray should continue to start.

Bouldin4Prez
12-07-2009, 05:37 PM
Manny does play fairly good on ball defense but his help/rotational defense is a little lacking as off now. He commits too early and over pursues the ball which has lead to a couple buckets. Manny should see more time than he has now but Gray has earned the minutes he gets.

WallaWallaZag
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
i'm not sure this is the case as i'm obviously speculating, and it probably wouldn't sit well with the basketball fanatics on this board...but maybe steven is one of those guys who has gone to college and discovered that basketball isn't the most important thing in his life...it happens. doesn't mean he isn't giving 100% while he's out there either.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-07-2009, 05:53 PM
Bottom line is this board is becoming too defensive... I don't care if Gray is guarding Klay Thompson all night.. Don't turn it over 6 times. Make a freaking shot. He's playing terrible right now. You don't go get a Maui MVP, and then play like crap if you're a good player.

Inconsistency is his problem. He doesn't need anyone to give him a break. Play like we know you can and you won't take any heat. He's not on here reading the board seeing what everyone says about him. If you don't like people pointing out the fact that he is playing like crap, then don't read the message boards. When a player we should be expecting a lot out of plays like this, people are going to talk. The kid obviously needs to work on his game more. We know he's good, but he's not consistent. I would hate for Gray to be just another one of our Players that could, but never did.

alldaye
12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
Bottom line is this board is becoming too defensive... I don't care if Gray is guarding Klay Thompson all night.. Don't turn it over 6 times. Make a freaking shot. He's playing terrible right now. You don't go get a Maui MVP, and then play like crap if you're a good player.

Inconsistency is his problem. He doesn't need anyone to give him a break. Play like we know you can and you won't take any heat. He's not on here reading the board seeing what everyone says about him. If you don't like people pointing out the fact that he is playing like crap, then don't read the message boards. When a player we should be expecting a lot out of plays like this, people are going to talk. The kid obviously needs to work on his game more. We know he's good, but he's not consistent. I would hate for Gray to be just another one of our Players that could, but never did.

Thank you! Just about perfect! I feel bad for Gray and hope he hets back to his Maui form, but right now something is wrong

WallaWallaZag
12-07-2009, 06:07 PM

i've got a little problem with your accusation regarding the board...i think you're contradicting yourself a little here...i can turn what you're saying directly around: don't read or post on the message board if you have a problem with people being defensive or supporting gray. people can be as defensive as they wish to be on this board...it's a public forum.

anyways, not disagreeing on the fact gray needs to play better...

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
i've got a little problem with your accusation regarding the board...i think you're contradicting yourself a little here...i can turn what you're saying directly around: don't read or post on the message board if you have a problem with people being defensive or supporting gray. people can be as defensive as they wish to be on this board...it's a public forum.

anyways, not disagreeing on the fact gray needs to play better...

Fair enough.. Can't disagree with you there....

CDC84
12-07-2009, 09:03 PM
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on this team plays basketball 24 hours a day. There are players on this team who worked on their game no more than Steven did. I just think he has a lot of outside interests and views himself as a genuine student-athlete. There have been other good Zags who were the same way. I appreciate his honesty, but I also think he was partly joking around with Heister.

Arop and Kong are way too raw and unfamiliar with the offense to take Steven's minutes. They also aren't even in the same realm defensively. That being said, I genuinely hope that both guys can play more so that Gray and Bouldin can get more rest.

El Voce
12-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Not sure which episode this was from, but didn't anyone think it was odd that Gray said he didn't play any basketball during the summer? Few also commented about the coaches having to motivate him to make basketball more of a priority.

Talk about a misleading post! Gray did not say that he didn't play ANY basketball. He said not as much as some others did. BIG difference. If you are going to start a thread to knock a kid, at least get your most basic of facts right!

Steven Gray has laid it all out on the court all season long. His will to win is as good as anyone's. He was an MVP in Maui, and draws the other team's top scorer every game. Good lord, people! Enough! Draw a deep breath and relax!

vandalzag
12-07-2009, 09:46 PM
He actually said that he worked on other parts of his game other than shooting. Ironically these are parts of his game that the coaching staff wanted him to improve upon. I know what most or you are thinking, what do they know. I get it, the player and coaches should have checked on this board last spring, that way they could have created an off season workout regime that would would have guaranteed a national championship, solved the economic crisis and put Lindsay Lohan back on track to being the movie star she was destined to be after The Parent Trap.

If only the players practiced as hard as we all post on the internet.

UberZagFan
12-07-2009, 10:09 PM
Wonder how many college students spend all summer practicing what is essentially an extra-curricular activity? Or how many spend all summer studying?

What would be said on this board if his response was that he spent a lot of time this past summer on his studies?

Ezag
12-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Hey during the summer I spent a lot of time a the beach, at Silverwood's Boulder beach and just hanging out.....

....on the other hand, if I had Gray's talent and a chance to play at the next level, I would have been in the gym every day...

sonuvazag
12-08-2009, 07:10 AM
I heard Mark Few was out fishing this summer and didn't give a thought to basketball!!!!:eek:

For my money, Gray is the consummate competitor: he was quoted right before the season started saying something to the effect: he'll do anything it takes for the team to win. It is a simple approach and he has backed that up. He really does so many different things which is how I explain the perception of his inconsistency. Sometimes that has meant scoring 28 points and sometimes it has meant other things.

He has been much more aggressive on offense which is how I explain many of his turnovers. It remains to be seen, but if he turns those mistakes into lessons, look out come tourney time.

titopoet
12-08-2009, 08:30 AM
He has been much more aggressive on offense which is how I explain many of his turnovers. It remains to be seen, but if he turns those mistakes into lessons, look out come tourney time.

Exactly, the offense is running through him and Matt. Matt has always been a playmaker and had the offense run him last year through large spells. Gray does not have that same experience and is learning on the job, against some tough competition. He has been a gunner for most of his career, now he is asked to drive and dish. There is no way I can see the offense running through either Arop or Bol. Bol may have found a spot as an off the bench gunner, but Gray is going to have to take his knocks as he learns to be a playmaker. Most of his 3s are missing long, which usually means he is adding too much energy. He is feeling the pressure of playing his new role. Like most of the players on this team, they are still learning their role. Hence the up and down as the new roles are being learned.

Ironically, he has to take pressure off himself by not valuing basketball to much.

The only one who has had too much learning to do is Matt. It is not surprising he has been the most consistent, though he also has had to learn. When Cincy decided to take him out of the game by doubling him high, he reacted poorly at the start. (I don't think he had ever be targeted as such) He recovered to produce 10 rebs and key plays to win that game. Same with Gray. Lost in the criticism of Gray was his driving and getting to the line late was critical in getting back into the game and getting Wake in foul problems. If he hit his last two freethrows, we would be talking about how gritty his performance was in leading GU back.

What I love about this team is the fight in them.

lothar98zag
12-08-2009, 11:19 AM
Contrary to popular belief, not everyone on this team plays basketball 24 hours a day. There are players on this team who worked on their game no more than Steven did. I just think he has a lot of outside interests and views himself as a genuine student-athlete. There have been other good Zags who were the same way. I appreciate his honesty, but I also think he was partly joking around with Heister.

Arop and Kong are way too raw and unfamiliar with the offense to take Steven's minutes. They also aren't even in the same realm defensively. That being said, I genuinely hope that both guys can play more so that Gray and Bouldin can get more rest.

agreed. Jokes don't always go over very well in this forum.

I heard Mark Few was out fishing this summer and didn't give a thought to basketball!!!!

I always wondered why he isn't called out for this more often. How is he going to get GU to a Final Four if he spends his summers standing in Montana rivers? Oh and he also spends way too much time w/ his kids. Someone needs to chain him to his desk pronto!