PDA

View Full Version : Will Augie even get to spokane?

quadcityzag
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
I'm being dead serious. I know they will show up and play but the quad cities is supposed to have a blizzard coming the next two days and wondering if they will be able to get out. I don't know when they are leaving, etc. but just letting you know that there' s a chance augie wont even make it.

Gonezagaga
12-07-2009, 06:13 PM
I just hope they don't have to come by bus.:)

Ziggy
12-07-2009, 06:28 PM
I just hope they don't have to come by bus.:)

Yes, then we would be DOOOOOOMED! On the other hand, if they made it but
were fatigued and WE WON? Then the win would be TAINTED.
Cant lose for winning! Can't win for losing!

rawkmandale
12-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, they THINK they are going to make it (from their website):

Vikings' game with Gonzaga to be televised

Augustana will get some television exposure on Wednesday night when the Vikings take on Gonzaga in Spokane, Washington. The game between the Vikings and the Bulldogs will be shown on DirecTV channel 687 and on Dish Network channel 5426. Game time will be 8:00 p.m. Central Time.

Currently the Vikings of head coach Grey Giovanine are 5-0 and ranked 23rd in NCAA Division III. After the game with Gonzaga, which is rated in the top 20 in NCAA Division I, Augustana will head to St. Louis, Missouri for a game with two-time defending NCAA Division III national champion Washington University.

Also, there is this statement, if you are wondering "who are these guys?"

Mission and History

Tradition and Vision

Augustana College, rooted in the liberal arts and sciences and a Lutheran expression of the Christian faith, is committed to offering a challenging education that develops qualities of mind, spirit and body necessary for a rewarding life of leadership and service in a diverse and changing world.

The words of Augustana’s mission statement reflect both tradition and vision. Founded by Swedish Lutheran settlers in Chicago in 1860, Augustana has grown from a small school educating Swedish immigrants into a highly selective college of the liberal arts and sciences. The College honors its roots and its affiliation with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. At the same time, Augustana’s rich liberal arts environment is enhanced by diversity.

Augustana continues to do what it has always done—challenge and prepare students for lives of leadership and service in our complex, ever-changing world.

rawkmandale
12-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Oh yeah, and there is this:

November 30, 2009

5-0 start after win at Knox is first since 2005-06

A huge rebounding advantage and some stingy defense, especially in the second half, helped propel Augustana to a 73-56 victory at Knox on Monday, November 30. It was the second consecutive road victory for the Vikings, who remain perfect on the season at 5-0.

Veteran head coach Grey Giovanine’s charges outrebounded the Prairie Fire 48-30 with junior Kyle Nelson (Deerfield HS, Deerfield, Ill.) leading the way with a career high 12. The Vikings put the clamps down defensively, holding Knox to just .355 (22-62) shooting percentage, including a paltry .316 (12-38) in the second half.

Augustana never trailed in this one, jumping out to a 10-0 lead before the game was five minutes old with four different players collecting baskets. Knox had no answer in the first half as the Vikings shot .500 (16-32) from the floor and took a 39-25 lead into the locker room at intermission.

In the second half the Augustana lead was 12 (44-32) after a three point field goal by Chris Anderson (West Carroll HS, Mt. Carroll, Ill.) with 17:10 left in the game. It was at this point that Knox made its only serious run in the game, outscoring the Vikings 9-3 over the next six minutes. Two free throws by Ian Horvath allowed the Prairie Fire to close the gap to six points (47-41) with 11:14 to play.

Senior Matt Pelton (Bloomington Central Catholic HS, Bloomington, Ill. – now resides in Houston, Texas) answered with a basket at 10:19 to push the margin back to 10 points (51-41). Augustana would not allow the lead to drop into single digits again as the Vikings outscored their hosts 20-9 over the next seven minutes. Anderson’s two free throws at 3:30 made it 71-50.

For the second game in a row Pelton led the team in scoring, this time with 20 points as he connected on seven of 12 from the floor, including four of six from three point range, and two of two from the free throw line. The only other Augustana player in double figures was sophomore Troy Rorer (Bettendorf HS, Bettendorf, Iowa) with 10 points. Rorer was credited with six assists, two steals and four rebounds while going four of four from the free throw line.

Besides the 12 rebounds gathered in by Nelson, freshmen Kameron Norton (Downers Grove North HS, Downers Grove, Ill.) and George Dexter (Bettendorf HS, Bettendorf, Iowa) each had six boards.

Horvath led Knox in scoring with 11 points and Ben Wetherbee had 10.

Augustana, which will play at Gonzaga on Wednesday, December 9, is 5-0 for the first time since the 2005-06 season. Knox falls to 0-3 on the year.

lothar98zag
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
...Currently the Vikings...are 5-0 and ranked 23rd...

first ranked team to visit the MAC this year. finally!

rawkmandale
12-08-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm looking forward to this game - TOMORROW!