PDA

View Full Version : Hudson+Fox > Heister+Ehlo

Ezag
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
I don't think I can take listening to Heister and Ehlo anymore without jabbing a pencil in my eye.

lothar98zag
12-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Winning powerball jackpot > losing a leg in a farming accident

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I don't think I can take listening to Heister and Ehlo anymore without jabbing a pencil in my eye.

I mainly have a problem with Ehlo....

Kiddwell
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Winning powerball jackpot > losing a leg in a farming accident

Kiddwell plus his faithful dog "Towzer" > Kiddwell plus a cat

:]

lothar98zag
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
18+34 > 2+1

vandalzag
12-07-2009, 04:06 PM
You have to wonder with all of the ex zags in the area why they have not replaced Ehlo.

On a side note why does the Mark Few show have Hi-Def game footage, yet games are broadcast in regular format?

ZagNative
12-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Any ideas who we could contact to get the link on GoZags.com for radio to work better? Can't IMG do something about that? It's ridiculous that the Zags can't get online radio that works reliably, even subscription radio.

While I'm at it, I appreciate the TV coverage KHQ provides us, their KHQ and SWX websites are pitiful. I've stopped bothering to look there.

To say KREM 2 makes them look inept and/or disinterested on the web.

ZagLawGrad
12-07-2009, 05:12 PM
I'll take Dennis Patchin any day----radio or tv

Ziggy
12-07-2009, 05:18 PM

If I could pick up the radio broadcast better out here in the hinterlands, I would definitely listen to the very intelligent Hudson/Fox play-by-play as opposed to the non sequitur/oxymoron (no pun intended)/color commentary
provided by Hiester/Ehlo.:mad:

Crusader Rick
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I'll take Dennis Patchin any day----radio or tv

It is really a shame that we have to listen to Bozo & Dumbo when Dennis sits by idle. Dennis is very talented and I only wish they could work something out with the networks to somehow get Dennis back as the Voice of the Zags. I do agree with the original poster, that Hudson and Fox are much better than Heister and Ehlo. Yes, the Craig Ehlo who actually thinks that everyone in Canada speaks French.

MikeGallego
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
I can't believe I'm about to ask a serious question about Ehlo and Heister, but why do they still have their jobs? I know some people here actually like them (which baffles me, but to each his own), but I'm quite certain that those are in the minority of Zag fans. With that in mind, they can't still be broadcasting games, right?

Not a rhetorical question...I'm interested in what other people have to say. It's not possible to be that universally detested by your audience and still have a job calling games, right?

sittingon50
12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
I have a UCLA friend in SoCal that watches the Zag broadcasts & thinks Heister & Ehlo are entertaining.

Abe & other medicos, could this be a smog related malady?

NotoriousZ
12-07-2009, 06:54 PM
If I could pick up the radio broadcast better out here in the hinterlands, I would definitely listen to the very intelligent Hudson/Fox play-by-play as opposed to the non sequitur/oxymoron (no pun intended)/color commentary
provided by Hiester/Ehlo.:mad:

Whenever I've tried to do it, the radio broadcast was always a few seconds faster than my tv, and unfortunately watching the game like that is more annoying than listening to Elho. I'm almost positive it's the radio that's quicker...I could sync it up if they made a tivo for radio.

NovaZag
12-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Cowboy up!

Zag 77
12-07-2009, 09:33 PM
None are as good as Dennis Patchin was in the 1998-2001 period.

Heister is actually a very good interviewer. He gets Few and the players to open up pretty darned well. Miscast as a play-by play guy.

Ehlo is good for laughs. Don't take him too seriously.

Hudson is getting better. He does not forget to tell us on the radio what is going on as often in his play-by-play. He does spend a lot of time with the players and coaches, so he is getting some good insights on his pre-game, post-game and daily radio pieces.

Fox actually wants to pursue broadcasting, from what I hear. He has some good former player insights. He needs not to sit on weak chairs that collapse while Hudson is talking to him (that happened 2 weeks ago on the air and Hudson laughed so hard he peed his pants).

vandalzag
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Whenever I've tried to do it, the radio broadcast was always a few seconds faster than my tv, and unfortunately watching the game like that is more annoying than listening to Elho. I'm almost positive it's the radio that's quicker...I could sync it up if they made a tivo for radio.

Part of the problem is that your are used to listening to the TV and Ehlo being 10 to 20 seconds behind the actual game.

TimZag
12-07-2009, 09:38 PM
If you aren't entertained by a discussion between Ehlo and Heister about whether or not 0 is a number, something is seriously wrong with you. I'll take those two over guys like Vitale, Raftery, and Shulman any day of the week.

UberZagFan
12-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Part of the problem is that your are used to listening to the TV and Ehlo being 10 to 20 seconds behind the actual game.

Classic.

The problem is the a "lazy" common fan expects little from a TV broadcast crew--they get to watch the game and a little background silly humor is enough for them. More hardcore fans expect better analysis and more of it.

By the way, it comes from the top--FSN's broadcast is not only lacking due to the announcers--it often fails in actual game coverage, most notably crappy replay selection. But then again, ESPN thinks a box in the corner showing a coach on the sideline is the way to go.

TR11Zag
12-08-2009, 07:18 AM
I enjoy this feed every week. Someone is quoting him during the games although last week it didn't seem to be live.

http://twitter.com/####ehlosays

The link above is blocked out because of our no swear word policy. The first word is sh*t. The idea is sh*tehlosays

AzZag
12-08-2009, 07:41 AM
I can't believe this thread actually exists...
they are both entertaining...I mean, I love ripping on Ehlo for
his goofy style, but I enjoy both.

I don't listen to them because I want a serious bit of commentary.

Give me a break people, they are both Zags at heart and do a very respectable job.

In fact, my favorite announcers are Gus Johnson, Steve Bardo, Dave Pasch and Steve Lavin, but Greg and Craig's style epitomizes the Zags, and make it unique.

LynetteG
12-08-2009, 07:59 AM
i love this from the twitter feed:

""Sacre changed his number to 00 because when the girls walk by, they say 'ohhhhh.'"

gamagin
12-08-2009, 08:02 AM
I enjoy this feed every week. Someone is quoting him during the games although last week it didn't seem to be live.

http://twitter.com/####ehlosays

The link above is blocked out because of our no swear word policy. The first word is sh*t. The idea is sh*tehlosays

I haven't listened to them at all, but prefer reading the collected nuggets of wisdom sharedlike the treasures they are, each week, right here.

hilarious !

st. al
12-08-2009, 08:20 AM
well while we are all dreaming up replacements...

The Sounders offseason is pretty well mirrors GU's basketball season, ask if KC wants to come work some basketball. Afterall, his alma mater was a midmajor called the bulldogs wasn't it?

BoltZag
12-08-2009, 09:39 AM
well while we are all dreaming up replacements...

The Sounders offseason is pretty well mirrors GU's basketball season, ask if KC wants to come work some basketball. Afterall, his alma mater was a midmajor called the bulldogs wasn't it?

Calabro is an excellent broadcaster. He is also no. 4 on ESPN's NBA pxp list and covers numerous other sports for FSN-Northwest and occasionally, UW and the Pac-10...so he is not even close to available. Additionally, he would cost about a thousand times more than what KHQ pays those two ding dongs.

UberZagFan
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
i love this from the twitter feed:

""Sacre changed his number to 00 because when the girls walk by, they say 'ohhhhh.'"

Uber thought it was because when he posts and spins on you its like looking down a double barrel shotgun.

Zag4Hire
12-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Give me a break people, they are both Zags at heart and do a very respectable job.

In fact, my favorite announcers are Gus Johnson, Steve Bardo, Dave Pasch and Steve Lavin, but Greg and Craig's style epitomizes the Zags, and make it unique.

You revealed so much about yourself with those two sentences excluding Gus Johnson. :lmao:

LynetteG
12-08-2009, 02:20 PM
Uber thought it was because when he posts and spins on you its like looking down a double barrel shotgun.

uber, i love it! your vivid description was awesome! gave you some neg rep love for that!

MikeGallego
12-08-2009, 03:41 PM

Uber thought it was because when Uber posts and spins or when Sacre posts and spins? Uber's use of third person has me (him?) confused. He doesn't like it when he gets confused by him. I think. I mean, he thinks. What is he talking about again?

ZagNative
12-08-2009, 03:56 PM
Any ideas who we could contact to get the link on GoZags.com for radio to work better? Can't IMG do something about that? It's ridiculous that the Zags can't get online radio that works reliably, even subscription radio.

While I'm at it, I appreciate the TV coverage KHQ provides us, their KHQ and SWX websites are pitiful. I've stopped bothering to look there.

To say KREM 2 makes them look inept and/or disinterested on the web.I looked on the directory for Gonzaga Athletic Department (http://www.gozags.com/school-bio/gonz-athdept.html) site and saw Tom Hudson's name. However he can't be reached at the number shown there. The phone rings through to Kris Kassel, who is the general manager for CORPORATE PARTNERSHIPS AND BROADCAST -IMG COLLEGE.

He was surprised to hear there were complaints about the online radio coverage. He said he had had one complaint, quite some time ago, and they fixed it. He was chilly in his response. If you have problems with the subscription radio, I suggest you send him an e-mail at kassel@athletics.gonzaga.edu.

I don't have to listen to the online radio because I listen on local radio. However, I've read tons of complaints on guboards about it, especially that the pregame and postgame coverage by Hudson and Fox isn't available, and I seem to remember that last game, people were hearing Christmas music instead of the game.

Whatever. Based on Kassel's response, I'm assuming the site works fine and some folks just don't want to pay the subscription fee.

GU69
12-08-2009, 05:16 PM
If you have problems with the subscription radio, I suggest you send him an e-mail at kassel@athletics.gonzaga.edu.

Thanks, ZN, I'll send an email.

As you suggested, the problem isn't so much with the game, but that the coverage of the pregame and postgame material is inconsistent.

I also wish that it were synchronized with the TV coverage, but I guess that is too much to ask. Besides, I think that is more the TV's problem than the radio because the TV lags way behind the radio.

ZagNative
12-08-2009, 05:32 PM
The other thing is disappointing to me that we don't have the ability to hear other zag-related shows such as the one that featured a very informative interview wth Tommy Lloyd where he talked about areas that needed shoring up. Unless someone here is kind enough and efficient enough to take good notes, many fans miss those shows, especially if they don't have access to local Spokane radio and/or aren't aware the shows are on.

I don't know if I'm dreamng, but it would be nice if one of the sites that covers us had a show listing, in chronological order, of the various times and places the shows can be watched or lstened to.