PDA

View Full Version : Winning the tip

CaZagAlum
12-06-2009, 08:39 PM
I noticed that we didn't win the tip against Wake and got to wondering how many first possessions we've actually gotten (or missed) this year. Anyone have access to this information at their fingertips?

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Bobby hasn't won many tips this year ,if any.

CDC84
12-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Notice how Wake Forest had Aminu jumping? Sometimes the best athlete on your team is better at winning the tip than your tallest guy. Maybe GU could have Harris jump and attempt to tip it to Sacre.

alldaye
12-06-2009, 08:50 PM
Tryed jumping Harris already. Didn't work.

surfmonkey89
12-06-2009, 09:04 PM
I clearly remember thinking that they tipped it before the top of its arc. I was expecting a whistle, even though they never whistle for that anymore.

ZagsGoZags
12-07-2009, 01:28 AM
I have wondered about that also. Especially when watching Josh last year. It seems the ref doesn't mind if somebody bats it away before it has reached the top of the throw. What does the rule book say?

Does anybody know?

ZagsGoZags
12-07-2009, 01:31 AM
I have wondered about that also. Especially when watching Josh last year. It seems the ref doesn't mind if somebody bats it away before it has reached the top of the throw. What does the rule book say?

Does anybody know, that could help us on this?

zag944
12-07-2009, 07:08 AM
anyone notice that before the throw the ref lightly batted Sacres hand down toward the floor (instead of letting him hold it with a bent elbow, with the hand pointing toward Aminu) like three different times. Sacre seemed kind of frustrated, and didnt appear to be doing anything that Aminu wasnt. just kind of weird to see, although I dont think it made much difference on the tip off result.

Zag4Hire
12-09-2009, 07:23 AM
If GU is going to get a tip this season, this might be their best shot.

thickman1
12-09-2009, 07:30 AM
maybe it's just me but who really cares? In the end does it really matter who wins the tip? Even if the opposing team uses all 35 on the shot clock there will still be 39 minutes and 25 seconds left for a come back. :confused:

gozagswoohoo
12-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Back in high school, I used to play a little game called "Just the tip" all the time. Maybe they should start practicing that, it could help.

Hey...ya never know?

zag944
12-09-2009, 09:19 AM
sounds sexual...I hope Im not missing some funny joke.

JLGutrocks
12-09-2009, 09:28 AM
"just the tip"
I still play that game occasionally. Usually win at it, too.

Egg nog latte out the nose. You're awesome.

gozagswoohoo
12-09-2009, 09:46 AM
I still play that game occasionally. Usually win at it, too.

I have a record of 42-4, and undefeated at home.

Mee, the only reason you always win is cuz you're probably scheduling cupcakes.

zagfan08
12-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Yes, thickman, winning the tip has zero outcome on the game. As long as you don't give up a quick bucket everytime on a tip play, it has no need to be discussed.

gamagin
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
it sets the tone. RS should show up fully expecting to get the tip every time and get it. It's all a part of showing up ready for war and whatever comes your way.

And for RS the tip is it.

Go TEAM Zags !

lothar98zag
12-09-2009, 10:12 AM
Yes, thickman, winning the tip has zero outcome on the game. As long as you don't give up a quick bucket everytime on a tip play, it has no need to be discussed.
I saw somewhere (kenpom?) that (using a very large sample size) teams that win the tip, win just over 50% of the time. So in a macro sense, it does matter, but game to game I think it's pretty far down the list of things that affect the outcome, esp in a game like GU vs Aug.

Zag4Hire
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
I saw somewhere (kenpom?) that (using a very large sample size) teams that win the tip, win just over 50% of the time. So in a macro sense, it does matter, but game to game I think it's pretty far down the list of things that affect the outcome, esp in a game like GU vs Aug.

Sounds like a coin flip in football. Thus nothing more than an introduction to the game. Although, like in football, I prefer to start the 2nd half with the ball. In a sense, I much rather prefer to start the 2nd half with the ball especially if the Zags are down.

On a different note, I actually prefer the posession arrow..It promotes aggression on defense. Sometimes I wish the refs were a little more lenient with body contact when trying to tie up the offensive player. Especially the WCC refs.