PDA

View Full Version : Will Augustana game count in record?

Zag 77
12-06-2009, 07:32 PM
Maybe somebody can clear this up. Augustana is D-III. When you play D-III teams at the beginning of the season, they are exhibition games and do not count in the overall won-loss record (as with U of Alberta). However, since it is in the regular season now, will it count?

Also, do games with D-II, D-III and NAIA teams figure into the RPI?

Let us not whine anymore about this game being scheduled (I already did plenty a few months ago.) What is done is done. The coaches want to do somebody at Augustana a favor, and let us leave it at that. Hopefully the team can get some things out of their system and the reserves can have a shot to show their stuff.

WallaWallaZag
12-06-2009, 08:01 PM
game will count on our record but will not be considered in rpi...and will not count as a win when ncaa tournament starts looking at seeding or at-large teams.

also, you seem a bit confused about exhibition games, or maybe it's just your wording...but we could play the unc tarheels in preseason as an exhibition if we wanted to and it wouldn't count...it has nothing to do with the opposing team being a div 3 team.

rijman
12-06-2009, 09:07 PM
also, you seem a bit confused about exhibition games, or maybe it's just your wording...but we could play the unc tarheels in preseason as an exhibition if we wanted to and it wouldn't count...it has nothing to do with the opposing team being a div 3 team.

"NCAA rules allow men's basketball coaches to hold two exhibition games each year against non-division I opponents." article from http://media.www.redandblack.com/media/storage/paper871/news/2009/11/06/Sports/Mens-Basketball.Team.Ready.For.Exhibition.Play-3824876.shtml

My understanding is any games the Zags play against Div 1 teams, scrimmages not included, will count toward their record. Games against Div II or III schools, such as Augustana College, will not count.

Cavebear33
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I believe if a team is scheduled as an exhibition game, that's indeed what it is, be it be North Carolina or Augustana. If a Division III team is scheduled during the regular season, it counts as a game to be won or lost in the overall Gonzaga record but not, it seems, in NCAA decision making for the tournament as Walla Walla Zag noted.

WallaWallaZag
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
"NCAA rules allow men's basketball coaches to hold two exhibition games each year against non-division I opponents." article from http://media.www.redandblack.com/media/storage/paper871/news/2009/11/06/Sports/Mens-Basketball.Team.Ready.For.Exhibition.Play-3824876.shtml

My understanding is any games the Zags play against Div 1 teams, scrimmages not included, will count toward their record. Games against Div II or III schools, such as Augustana College, will not count.

yes, you are correct...i was lumping in scrimmages and exhibitions together since you can have a total of two in whatever combination in the preseason, but they really are different since exhibitions are run exactly like a regular game and can have a paid audience and are open to the public.

the point i was trying to make and failed to do was that playing a non-div 1 team doesn't automatically make the game an exhibition, even if it is at the beginning of the year. of course, we can only play alberta in an exhibition since they are from canada.

HillBillyZag
12-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Could Augustana be planing to up grade their athletics to Div2 or better? Perhaps this is one reason they are scheduling teams like G.U.? Sort of seeing where they are and how far they will have to go?

rijman
12-07-2009, 08:02 AM
Could Augustana be planing to up grade their athletics to Div2 or better? Perhaps this is one reason they are scheduling teams like G.U.? Sort of seeing where they are and how far they will have to go?

Div II and III teams stand to make good money from Div I matchups in addition to a great experience for their players. I read a few articles on-line about the most recent rule change where Div I can no longer play "non college team" exhibitions, which reportedly is a big benefit to Div II & III schools as they now get more matchups with Div I teams and the money that comes with those games.

GUDan07
12-07-2009, 08:48 AM

I don't know. If you're planning on making the jump to DII, a game against a top 20 DI team might not be the way to go.

1973Zag
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
I live 2 miles from Augustana. School similar to us--private, strong academics, campus size, $,--but think it has more to do with coach Giovanni having early coaching roots with GU coaches. Huge payout (favor) to a D111 athletic budget. They are actually better known for football, but coach G has really improved their b-ball. This year 5-0 ranked @20 D3, but I think they like D3(with a little D1 money thrown in!)

augie1233
12-08-2009, 12:00 PM
As an Augie grad I'm looking forward to the game. I have no illusions about the outcome and understand, but don't appreciate, your comments regarding playing a d3 team. Don't be snobs. It wasn't too long ago people were saying - "who the heck is Gonzaga?"

lothar98zag
12-08-2009, 12:02 PM
As an Augie grad I'm looking forward to the game. I have no illusions about the outcome and understand, but don't appreciate, your comments regarding playing a d3 team. Don't be snobs. It wasn't too long ago people were saying - "who the heck is Gonzaga?"
welcome!

1973Zag
12-08-2009, 12:25 PM
spot on Augi. Many Augi grad friends here in Moline. great school. still remember our 1st game on ESPN like it was yesterday. Younger zags don't know about those days. Nothing wrong with D3 sports at an excellent academic institution. Welcome to our board.