PDA

View Full Version : Reasons

Godzilla
04-17-2007, 01:07 PM
Does anyone have any good reasons why a high school student should consider GU?

former1dog
04-17-2007, 01:30 PM
:D

This will be a pretty biased group, Godzilla. A whole lot of us are Gonzaga Alum.

Here's a start -

-Great academics with small class sizes and an emphasis on developing you as a student.
-Great community, of which this board is an extension of.
-Great Jesuit tradition, whether you are Catholic or not, the influence of the Jesuit tradition on Gonzaga in a huge plus.
-Awesome student body. If you want to be a part of a special place with special people, you very well could be considering the best place.
-Great basketball team, but you knew that already.

I'm sure several others will be along to add to and expand upon the list I've started.

Bottome line Godzilla, I hope you make a good choice for you. I won't be so bold as to say Gonzaga's for everyone. An on campus visit would help you a lot to make a good decision.

LongIslandZagFan
04-18-2007, 07:26 AM
:D

This will be a pretty biased group, Godzilla. A whole lot of us are Gonzaga Alum.

Here's a start -

-Great academics with small class sizes and an emphasis on developing you as a student.
-Great community, of which this board is an extension of.
-Great Jesuit tradition, whether you are Catholic or not, the influence of the Jesuit tradition on Gonzaga in a huge plus.
-Awesome student body. If you want to be a part of a special place with special people, you very well could be considering the best place.
-Great basketball team, but you knew that already.

To expand and expound on this list.

Academics and class size are great
Community, community community - I liked the vibe on campus so much as a commuter that I moved on campus mid-freshman year.
Jesuit tradition - which puts enlightened education ahead of religion... few catholic schools will require more philosophy courses within their core than religion (when I attended it was 12 credits PHI and 9 credits REL).
Awesome student body... see second bullet... Community, Community, Community.Zags are Zags for life... and I am not talking about hoops. I count my years at GU as some of the best in my life and they shaped me to be who I am today both professionally and personally.

Ibellibie
04-18-2007, 09:01 AM
After viewing your profile, I'm going to assume you're a HS junior like me. It's a bit of a stressful time, no? Between the SAT, last-minute SAT II subject tests, securing great recommendations, doing well in current courses, sports, and trying to secure some good EC's -- well, it has me a bit nervous, I'll admit. :o The next six/seven months should be a track meet, since I've procrastinated. A lot.

Anyways, I don't have too much to add to this thread. There are lots of general reasons why a highschool student should consider Gonzaga, but I think that in the end, what student doesn't want a good community, great academics with small class size, and a nationally ranked basketball team? And yet, I know a few people who went to GU for a semester, and it just did NOT work for them. That's why it's important for every individual to do lots of research about every potential school. Personal reasons, I believe, can often be much more relevant.

Good luck in your college search and application process! Where else are you considering?

I won't be so bold as to say Gonzaga's for everyone.

I flew to the BiS this past year, and ended up having to take a bus from the airport to Key Arena. I got lost in downtown Seattle, and ended up running into a recent (within the past 3 years) Gonzaga graduate who was also very lost. As we attempted to navigate the city, we had a very good conversation about colleges and I remember her saying that, "Everyone should go to Gonzaga. It should be a requirement." Random, I know, but that's what I thought of when reading that part of your post. ;)