PDA

View Full Version : Enough!

GUDan07
12-06-2009, 12:59 PM
Is anyone else tired of the same topics over, and over, and over, and over again? The Casto chant was never an issue and yet some people on here want to make it into some sort of class and race issue. Its not. It was a chant that was mundane compared to most. Get over it. And this Harris issue, isn't an issue either. Have any of you ever played basketball before? Have you ever tried to box out a guy thats 5 inches taller than you? He tried to give the guy a good shot to the chest and went a little high and the guy flopped. Was there a little extra force due to all the shots he was taking from McFarland all game? Sure. Its part of the game. It happens all the time. If McFarland doesn't flop we never talk about this. There will not be a suspension or any other disciplinary action. Now can we stop talking about this?

Just A Zag
12-06-2009, 01:03 PM
aren't you contributing to the problem by making this post? I mean you're adding to the conversation and thinking that people won't respond with their own opinion. Narrow minded much?

oh and don't worry I won't start a thread about unsigned Neg Rep after this post gets bashed

GUDan07
12-06-2009, 01:06 PM
aren't you contributing to the problem by making this post? I mean you're adding to the conversation and thinking that people won't respond with their own opinion. Narrow minded much?

oh and don't worry I won't start a thread about unsigned Neg Rep after this post gets bashed

I have no problem with people expressing their opinions. It's over reacting and attempting to turn a non-issue into an issue that is driving me nuts.

JohnOGU
12-06-2009, 01:34 PM
Is anyone else tired of the same topics over, and over, and over, and over again? The Casto chant was never an issue and yet some people on here want to make it into some sort of class and race issue. Its not. It was a chant that was mundane compared to most. Get over it. And this Harris issue, isn't an issue either. Have any of you ever played basketball before? Have you ever tried to box out a guy thats 5 inches taller than you? He tried to give the guy a good shot to the chest and went a little high and the guy flopped. Was there a little extra force due to all the shots he was taking from McFarland all game? Sure. Its part of the game. It happens all the time. If McFarland doesn't flop we never talk about this. There will not be a suspension or any other disciplinary action. Now can we stop talking about this?

I agree. I have never seen this forum freak out about something so small. That incident turned a lot of posters into lunatics that were ready to abandon ship on Elias. Point being, let it go, or "Enough!". Nothing is going to come of it.

Ezag
12-06-2009, 01:53 PM
Hey I won't abandon ship on Elias.

Elias for Prez!

GUDan07
12-06-2009, 01:59 PM
"and the guy flopped" -- You are not going to stop this topic with that statement. Try, "as per NCAA rules Harris was ejected". Darn, it happens.

Are you kidding? Vlade Divac thinks that guy flopped.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-06-2009, 02:05 PM
Ohh the stupidity on the board. OP- I agree with you 100% on the Casto issue.. Not on the Harris issue..

How are we turning this into a Hate/Love Elias thing? Just because I think it was a dirty play and intentional doesn't mean I think any less of Elias.... It happened, I'm over it... I think you are mistaking people who agree with him being thrown out and hating him. I think it warranted an ejection, and yet I still love Elias and his game, and think nothing less of him...

Weird how all announcers, commentators, REFEREES, and unbiased fans think it was a dirty play, and intentional... Only you gonzaga fans that feel they have to defend Elias and feel that no GU player could ever do anything wrong are don't think it was on purpose.

Give me a break if you think he was just trying to block out. He turned around, faced him, and gave him a forearm to the neck... I've never been taught to block out/rebound that way. ADMIT THE MISTAKE, AND WE CAN ALL MOVE ON

MickMick
12-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Dawg fans want to take it and run. They will never let it go. And it will be a great way to deflect attention from how their team fares later.

I'm in the Harris corner. I'm behind him 100%. I believe him.

Don't change a thing Elias except aim about 5 inches lower. Thats it. Nothing else.

kclubfounder
12-06-2009, 02:32 PM
McFarland pulled a Rodman. He got under Harris' skin and managed to get him tossed. Harris will learn from the experience. I wish the rest of the squad had kept their composure and we would have won anyway. But, I suspect Harris won't throw a forearm shiver the next time someone gets under his skin, and Goodson won't slam a ball and get a 'T' in a close game again. So, it was a good game to play in December.

john montana
12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Pretty clear to me that Elias wanted to pop him, but equally clear to me that the big boy flopped. Elias should have kept his cool and he gave the ref no other choice there.

Moving on.

Birddog
12-06-2009, 03:09 PM
Hey JohnnyG, you've posted over a hundred times since yesterday, enough already. Your shtick is getting tiresome. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or not.

GUDan07
12-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Hey JohnnyG, you've posted over a hundred times since yesterday, enough already. Your shtick is getting tiresome. "Absence makes the heart grow fonder" or not.

+1

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-06-2009, 03:56 PM
Well when you guys think what Harris did was OK and didn't warrant an ejection, and freak out on those of us who did, He's going to have a lot to respond to. Harris was in the wrong.

Just A Zag
12-06-2009, 04:09 PM

+2

BobZag
12-06-2009, 04:14 PM
Why are they making the only two non-BCS teams (Boise State and TCU) play each other? What a crock!

bballguy
12-06-2009, 04:26 PM
McFarland pulled a Rodman. He got under Harris' skin and managed to get him tossed. Harris will learn from the experience. I wish the rest of the squad had kept their composure and we would have won anyway. But, I suspect Harris won't throw a forearm shiver the next time someone gets under his skin, and Goodson won't slam a ball and get a 'T' in a close game again. So, it was a good game to play in December.

So much was said before the season how this team was going to have its ups and downs. This just happen to be one of those downs. And they (I almost typed in "we" like I'm on the team:o ) still only lost by two. Bad loss? No way. Stupid loss? Heck yeah! So now we wait to see how much they learned from it. Because Kong, Arop and GJ got some quality minutes and contributed I see a lot of positives coming out of this game. Let's remember the early season montra..."Its a long season. Enjoy the ride." The ride just took a 200' dive and we all were sitting in the front seat. We'll be fine.
Go Zags

HOOTER
12-06-2009, 04:39 PM
So much was said before the season how this team was going to have its ups and downs. This just happen to be one of those downs. And they (I almost typed in "we" like I'm on the team:o ) still only lost by two. Bad loss? No way. Stupid loss? Heck yeah! So now we wait to see how much they learned from it. Because Kong, Arop and GJ got some quality minutes and contributed I see a lot of positives coming out of this game. Let's remember the early season montra..."Its a long season. Enjoy the ride." The ride just took a 200' dive and we all were sitting in the front seat. We'll be fine.
Go Zags

First, no harm in saying "we". The Zags are bigger than just the team, although they do most of the work. ;)

Good points though. There's certainly some positives that can be taken from this. We'll get better as a result. As for Harris, the dude's a stud and I hope to God he doesn't let this get him down or change his style.

sullyzag66
12-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Why are they making the only two non-BCS teams (Boise State and TCU) play each other? What a crock!
Will the controversies never end?

Nice effort, though. :)

NYCZAG
12-06-2009, 06:39 PM
Elias is going to be fine it's one and done-He won't be doing that anymore and if he does Few has already gotten calls from Dana White about a transfer-

ZagsGoZags
12-06-2009, 08:05 PM
I don't understand the constant refrain to 'move on' and 'enough'.
What is a board for, if opinions are given, people discuss it, because it is the type of incident that captures everyone's attention.

It is a big deal, so why do the mods keep closing the threads. Obviously there are many people who want to hear each other. I have learned a ton from listening to the many viewpoints and watching the replay dozens of times.

This is the type of incident that can potentially have big effects, so it is natural to want to discuss it. I think it is odd that so many people say their opinion, then they say lets move on now.

Isn't that like a little kid who wants to get the last word, and then hold their hands to their ears and walk away when the other person tries to give his opinion?

I say, let those who want to talk it over more do so. Let those who don't, go on to other threads. Why should those who don't try to stop those who do?

I can see stopping a thread because the tone becomes too rude or uncivil. But most of the posts have been respectful, I have thought.

B Wayne
12-06-2009, 08:40 PM
Here is my experience of events.

I watched the WSU game on television and heard about the GU students taunting Casto about his reading level. I was a little uncomfortable with that, but based upon some of the postings, thought maybe I was too uptight.

I drove several hours to attend the Wake game and heard the Kennel Club in organized unison taunt a ref with "That ref sucks" about a minute before the incident with Elias Harris.

The game ended about 5pm. After the game I was privileged with the timing to attend 5:15 mass at St. Al's. I saw a person in church with a Kennel Club shirt. Father's (Jesuit) sermon pertained to our treatment and respect of one another as Catholics and Christians.

I drove home after mass and watched the game on TIVO. I saw at half time a group of GU fans, particularly a soccer mom type, screaming angrily down at the Wake Team as they entered the locker room runway at half time. This was on national television.

I'm NOT a holy roller. I'm as big a sinner as anyone. I'm a huge sports fan and competitive in all I do. And I am glad people of all religions can attend GU and be Zag fans. But with the juxtaposition of these coincidences I observed, you might see where I'm coming from.

In discussing proper behavior of GU fans, to what extent do you think we should consider that Gonzaga University is a Catholic Jesuit institution which professes a Catholic and Christian vision. How much do you think this fact should enter the discussion of proper GU fan behavior?

Here is the link to the Gonzaga mission statement. Sorry to get all serious on everyone. With all the collective wisdom on this board, I do look forward to some wisdom on this topic I'm wrestling with.

http://www.gonzaga.edu/About/Mission/Mission-Statement/

ZagsGoZags
12-07-2009, 01:42 AM
One of the reasons coach Few is so highly respected is that he puts character and class into all that he does concerning the BB team.

The taunting of Casto was like a mob mentality. Because it is hundreds of people doing it the boundary gets crossed. Many employers would fire a single employee if he engaged in that type of taunting more than once following a warning. The student leaders of the Kennel Club have on more than one occassion in the past needed to curb student zeal. I used to push the envelope a lot when I was a student in the dorm, and the discussions of what is just crazy energy, and what is tasteless, was good for me. I think it would be good for the Kennel to channel their energy a little bit from time to time.