PDA

View Full Version : What's next for Harris?

rijman
12-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Can anyone shed light on what happens next for Harris regarding suspension from additional games? Is GU waiting for a response from the NCAA? Could the Zags decide to suspend him, for say one game (Augustana College), to make amends so the NCAA doesn't dole out a longer suspension?

dawgfather11
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
it should be a multiple game suspension atleast 2, there is no place in college basketball for that kind of cheap move. Please spare me the bs about he was just trying to box out, that forearm shiver was almost as bad as aaron brooks

misszigzag
12-06-2009, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=dawgfather11;494270]it should be a multiple game suspension atleast 2, there is no place in college basketball for that kind of cheap move. Please spare me the bs about he was just trying to box out, that forearm shiver was almost as bad as aaron brooks[/QUOTE

Rage on and get it out of your system ;)

Time to move on folks.

sittingon50
12-06-2009, 11:43 AM
According to Blanchette's article "it carries no further suspension (as far as the NCAA is concerned)".

Few is also quoted "he doesn't lose his head-it's not the kind of kid he is."
Will be interesting, in that light, what he (Few) chooses to do.

NEC26
it should be a multiple game suspension atleast 2, there is no place in college basketball for that kind of cheap move. Please spare me the bs about he was just trying to box out, that forearm shiver was almost as bad as aaron brooks

I doubt he will be suspended at all. He already was kicked out and he did not attack anyone. His arm was clearly pushed up into the throat by Chas. I would be very surprised if he is suspended.

Tmac5360
Augustana and 20 points with 12 boards.

Dogfather, if it was pondexter I bet it would just a kid making a mistake huh?

BroncoZAG615
12-06-2009, 11:44 AM
Guns up Red Raiders!

Tmac5360
12-06-2009, 11:49 AM
This according to Meehan from the spokesman day after post.

"The ejection doesn’t carry additional punishment, so Harris will play against Augustana."

NovaZag
12-06-2009, 11:51 AM
This isn't something the NCAA would get involved in. Any suspension would be made by Few if he felt Harris needed further punishment.

Zagatak
12-06-2009, 12:01 PM
No suspension.

rijman
12-06-2009, 12:43 PM
This according to Meehan from the spokesman day after post.

"The ejection doesn’t carry additional punishment, so Harris will play against Augustana."

Thanks for the updates all. Looking back, I am thankful Chas did not get injured on the play, that would have made things much worse for Harris and the Zags.

Obviously we don't want to see any opponent seriously hurt either.

Zagregious
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM
no suspension......but a mandatory 2 game man card suspension for Dawgfather. Man up. We're not on the grade school playground.

It was regrettable, it was dealt with swiftly, it is over. Breathe deep, move on.

I don't say much on these boards, but for crying out loud, the sissification of some of these posts is getting old.

MickMick
12-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Go back to gushing over IT and Romar. You serve no purpose here.

NotoriousZ
12-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the updates all. Looking back, I am thankful Chas did not get injured on the play, that would have made things much worse for Harris and the Zags.

Obviously we don't want to see any opponent seriously hurt either.

I think Harris' forearm glances the guy's neck and there was some acting job after it happened. But the ejection was the right thing to do, and Harris will learn from it.

Ezag
12-06-2009, 01:55 PM
Nothing else needs to happen. He made a mistake, he paid the price and the team paid the price for it.

The guy was not hurt and infact continued to play find minutes after the incident. Time to move on.

BobZag
12-06-2009, 03:27 PM
Can anyone shed light on what happens next for Harris regarding suspension from additional games? Is GU waiting for a response from the NCAA? Could the Zags decide to suspend him, for say one game (Augustana College), to make amends so the NCAA doesn't dole out a longer suspension?

Augustana vs Gonzaga on Wednesday night is next for Elias.

See how easy it is to answer a question? :)

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-06-2009, 03:59 PM
Thank you Bob! That is good to know. Easy for you of course. I still think you are a member of Few's staff though.

Bob's good, but he's not perfect.. He swung and miss a few times already this season. :-). and thank god he did, he predicted MSU to roll on us.

DixieZag
12-06-2009, 04:11 PM
BZ is definitely NOT a member of the Zag coaching staff. I have never met BZ, but I will tell you that he is far to easy on the kids/team and has WAAAYYY too much patience with the team and its players. That means he is the perfect fan, but definitely NOT on the staff. A staff member would get on here about every three days at about 7:00 and blast the teams lack of worth ethic and attention span and state that we would be luckly to win 5 games in conference this year. BZ has photos of someone on the staff that guarantee initmate knowledge, but BZ is the Zag "Barney" of the board, always telling us when we are acting like children, and too often he is right.:D

El Voce
12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Augustana and 20 points with 12 boards.

Dogfather, if it was pondexter I bet it would just a kid making a mistake huh?

+1 Of course, a Husky would never break a rule! Oh yeah, forgot about that Cameron Dollar rule breaky thing.

1973Zag
12-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Maybe B.Z. is wrong occasionally---on purpose! just to throw us off his trail---the mystery continues.........

NYCZAG
12-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Kidding haha-It's over he got ejected and that's that-Tomorrow is a new day-He will be fine-

Reborn
12-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Elias will be playing Wednesday against Augustana, and he'll have his usual great game. I am axious to see how all this publicity has affected him. It has certainly been a challenge. The key, imo, is how Coach Few handles it. From what I saw in the interview with Few after the game they'll deal with it, use it as a teaching tool and move on. The same applies to Meech. There is a lack of inner discipline right now that I believe is surfacing. It will be dealt with.

Few, Harris, Meech and the team begin to go back to work and practice hard. I am already excited to see the next game. I want to see how the Zags respond. Will we get beaten at home again this year following a "bad" loss like we did after the loss to UCONN last year. Will Harris go into a slump like Pargo did?

My guts tell me no. I think Harris believes in his heart that he did not do anything that warranted an ejection from the game. I think he comes out and plays really well. I felt he handled a very tough interview well and showed a lot of character. And he's not faking it either. Harris is a warrior. It's who he is, and he will come and play Wednesday as if it's just one more battle. We are lucky to have such a man at Gonzaga, imo. I know I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

bballbeachbum
12-06-2009, 07:08 PM
Elias will be playing Wednesday against Augustana, and he'll have his usual great game. I am axious to see how all this publicity has affected him. It has certainly been a challenge. The key, imo, is how Coach Few handles it. From what I saw in the interview with Few after the game they'll deal with it, use it as a teaching tool and move on. The same applies to Meech. There is a lack of inner discipline right now that I believe is surfacing. It will be dealt with.

Few, Harris, Meech and the team begin to go back to work and practice hard. I am already excited to see the next game. I want to see how the Zags respond. Will we get beaten at home again this year following a "bad" loss like we did after the loss to UCONN last year. Will Harris go into a slump like Pargo did?

My guts tell me no. I think Harris believes in his heart that he did not do anything that warranted an ejection from the game. I think he comes out and plays really well. I felt he handled a very tough interview well and showed a lot of character. And he's not faking it either. Harris is a warrior. It's who he is, and he will come and play Wednesday as if it's just one more battle. We are lucky to have such a man at Gonzaga, imo. I know I'm looking forward to seeing him play.

count me in, Reborn. the response defines the athlete as I understand it...you too I think? nice post...that's life

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIiUqfxFttM

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

ExtremeJim
12-06-2009, 08:44 PM
...there is no place in college basketball for that kind of cheap move.

A pretty bold statement. If you had ever played the game under the FIBA rules Harris has operated under all his brief life, or if you had even paid close attention to an Olympic basketball game at some point, you might have been willing to allow him more than a half-dozen or so games to adjust.

That is, if you were anything like an objective observer.

He got tossed by an ACC official, employed by the only conference in America that is "softer" than the WCC. It wasn't even a foul in the Big East or Big Ten, probably not in the Big 12, only maybe a foul in the SEC, and probably one in the Pac-10 (and WCC.)

So, your statement is incorrect: there is a place for it in college basketball. But you are right to this extent: that place is not in a WCC arena with ACC officials, as viewed through the eyes of a Pac-10 fan.

ZagNut08
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM
ExtremeJim, he is too busy watching proper inbounding techniques to be an objective observer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgLYbNytvLM&feature=related

CDC84
12-06-2009, 09:12 PM
The officials Saturday were Big 10 guys according to the Spokesman-Review.

It is very, very rare for the NCAA or a league to hand out a suspension for a flagrant foul. Even one that leads to an ejection. The most common suspensions come from fighting and a player(s) leaving the bench during a fight. Flagrant fouls along the lines of the Gerald Henderson foul are usually the only kind that lead to suspensions. The Harris flagrant was child's play compared to the Henderson flagrant.

Another thing....Few gave direct orders to his frontcourt guys to be physical against Wake. He felt they were not physical enough against WSU. You combine that with Elias' unfamiliarity with the U.S. game (he's only played 8 games and he arrived on campus just before the start of practice), and I can understand why Elias feels as though he did nothing wrong. Well, it's probably been explained to him why he was wrong. He'll learn from the experience.

Even if you feel Harris should be suspended, I feel this is wrong because his ejection was enough punishment - it caused Gonzaga to lose to Wake. The Zags were on the verge of taking Wake to cleaners when that foul happened. Losing a game of that magnitude is a much greater punishment than suspending Elias for 2 games against teams that GU should beat by 20+ even without his presence.

katman50
12-06-2009, 09:32 PM
Very rational and well thought out post, CDC. Couldn't agree more.