PDA

View Full Version : Manny Arop Appreciation Thread

DixieZag
12-06-2009, 10:06 AM
Ok, we are all still hurting from last night. But while our memories are still fresh, I would like to say that for a couple of games now I have been saying to my friends and on this board that MA has a beautiful shot, is one of the best defenders/rebounders on the team and is coming on VERY VERY QUICKLY.

Few has said, there are no guaranteed starting spots on this team and right now I think serious consideration has to be given to starting Matt/Steven at G and Manny/Elias at Forward. Regardless, Manny has to get more minutes.

We were all rightly in awe of Kong's shooting and he needs more minutes, but he still seemed losts defensively and his shot takes forever to set up, his time will come, but he isn't ready right now.

Manny Arop makes this team better every time he is on the floor and gives us an interesting look as a starter. Am I wrong?

BobZag
12-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Ok, we are all still hurting from last night. But while our memories are still fresh, I would like to say that for a couple of games now I have been saying to my friends and on this board that MA has a beautiful shot, is one of the best defenders/rebounders on the team and is coming on VERY VERY QUICKLY.

Few has said, there are no guaranteed starting spots on this team and right now I think serious consideration has to be given to starting Matt/Steven at G and Manny/Elias at Forward. Regardless, Manny has to get more minutes.

We were all rightly in awe of Kong's shooting and he needs more minutes, but he still seemed losts defensively and his shot takes forever to set up, his time will come, but he isn't ready right now.

Manny Arop makes this team better every time he is on the floor and gives us an interesting look as a starter. Am I wrong?

Right, you are.

+1

Love what this kid brings to the table. Hustle hustle hustle with a healthy dose of skill.

mgadfly
12-06-2009, 11:25 AM
I really like what Manny has done the past couple games. I'd be okay with us running a Bouldin, Gray, Manny, Harris, Sacre starting five some games. Use Meech as a sixth man and starter in games where the other team has a lightning quick point guard. Although I'm afraid that if we moved Meech to the bench and used the bigger line-up we'd play more zone, and so far I've liked our man to man look early this season.

FuManShoes
12-06-2009, 11:38 AM
I still like Meech at the point mostly for his defense and fast-break abilities, with Manny coming off the bench or -- blasphemy, I know -- replacing Gray as a starter. (I do think it's too early for that, but Gray needs to find his touch). I think both Manny and Gray bring much to be desired -- good defense, size, offensive prowess. I'm not sure both are needed on the floor at the same time. And I like Manny's energy off the bench.

Bottom line: Manny looked great yesterday and deserves more minutes, and he may get them if Gray doesn't step up his game on the offensive end.

MickMick
12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
It all depends on matchups. But when either Sacre or Harris are not on the floor, Arop is sorely needed in the rebound department. Crazy that we should rely so heavily on a shooting guard/wing for such things, but he gets it done.

Zag79
12-07-2009, 03:05 AM
manny was an instant game changer! great post, you hit the nail on the head. like to see him and kong play more together!

jpwils
12-07-2009, 05:56 AM
Manny has shown he can rebound and hit some shots.

I agree that matchups will dictate what we do with both Manny and Kong getting more minutes in key situations.

Meech does some good things; so does Manny. Gibbs and Olynyk also do certain things very well.

Good news is we now have options.

CanadianZagFan
12-07-2009, 06:34 AM
I posted over the summer that I felt Manny would contribute more to the team than what Kong would, I think that is starting to show now. Kong can fill the hoop up, but Manny can fill the score sheet up. Once he gets the confidence, look for him to take some of his defensive boards and start the fast break. This team has so many areas that improvement can come from it will be nice to see what happens come tournament time!

Go Manny, Go Zags!

seasontixholder
12-07-2009, 06:40 AM
Manny's defensive closure on the (seemingly) wide open shooter was the biggest breath of fresh air in recent Gonzaga BB history. After years of watching good shooters made to look like scoring machines, there is finally some hope. Finally - FINALLY - somebody really, really cares. And can do something about it.

Reborn
12-07-2009, 07:01 AM
What I like most about Manny Arop right now is that he has a great attitude about everything. He is a great student, and I see him working real hard to learn what his coach needs from him, as a Zag. He really seems patient too. He seems to be content with whatever his coach wants from him. He has not tried to force things on the court, and takes his time in developing into a very good Div 1 player.

I'm not sure if he will start this season, but he is certainly pressing others to improve. I think if a couple of guys do not, then he could become a starter. But, and more important than starting, he is increasing his playing time because when he's on the floor he's helping the Zags by doing good things. Manny right now is our utility player, not Steven. Manny can play the 2, 3 or 4, and I think he has also played the 1 on defense. He has so many skills and so much talent.

I think what Few is working on the most right now is trying to figure out his bench as he develops rotations. Manny is going up the ladder right now for sure. Having a very good bench IS important. And ours is getting better by the day. Manny is just a highlight reel of what is to come down the road. And I think most would agree that down the road he is going to be a GREAT player at Gonzaga.

I feel this way about Bol Kong too. So much talent, and yet a lot to learn. For now, I think he's happy in his role.