PDA

View Full Version : Looking at the stats

Reborn
12-06-2009, 06:41 AM
You can see how close the game was, and where we lost. I like statistics because they show an objective picture. We outshot Wake from the field 45% to 38%. I think that shows the effort we DID put in on D. We shot 45% from the 3 pt line, which is very good. Wake shot 53% which is very good. As Few said in his interview after the game, Wake has not shot that well in past games and you have to give them credit for that. Both teams made 8 three's. So as good as Wake's 3 pt shooting looked at times, ours was equally good, especially by Kong. We lost the rebounding battle by 6. You'd expect that after losing your best rebounder for the whole second half. Sacre had 9 boards which is good. His shooing was off, but he was giving a good effort on the boards.

We had a poor free throw shooting night and that is one reason why we lost. We shot 62%, Wake shot 75%. We continue to get to the line which is very good. Both teams made 21 free thows, we missed 13 and they missed 7. The other was Wake's 16 offensive rebounds which produced 9 more shots for Wake than Gonzaga had. Wake had 78, Gonzaga had 69. And yet they only made one more basket then the Zags out of those 9 shots. Our defense was fine, imo. Our ability to get to the line a lot more than Wake, imo, made up for the disparity in rebounding. Had we shot better from the line we would have won. I have said it a lot. Free throws win close games.

When Few plays guys like Will Foster and even Olynyk you are going to give up offensive rebounds when we play teams that hit the offensive boards. At least for right now, its true that Olynyk is NOT a good rebounder. Neither is Bol Kong.

I think we can all agree that The Zags are a better team with Elias Harris on the floor and in the game. Most likely he'll be back playing in two weeks, and we'll get back to our winning ways. The sky has not fallen. I think the future continues to be bright.

rijman
12-06-2009, 08:03 AM
The stats also show the Zags got 25 points off the bench when they really needed it, which was encouraging. I agree FT's were the difference in the end. The Zags could have beat WF with Harris out, they just didn't get it done.

MickMick
12-06-2009, 08:14 AM
In short:

Rebounding and defense after Harris departed. These were strength areas in previous games. It really illustrates how critical Harris is to success. Offense was good enough to get the job done.

Arop needed to get into the game much sooner and more often.

I'm curious how the stats reflect pre and post Harris departure.

On another note, Wake Forest played well. Gotta give them credit for hitting shots, drawing fouls, hustle for loose balls, penetrating the paint on offense (especially against zone), and rebounding. Zags were beaten by good play. Their young guards were exceptional.

RenoZag
12-06-2009, 08:26 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2681/4162875321_af92c72995_o.jpg

bballbeachbum
12-06-2009, 09:28 AM
that would be an interesting stat to see of this game to me, if that stat existed

once that subsided, this young team matured as the game progressed and kicked some butt, totally agree of course Elias is needed on the floor whether we came back without him or not, and we sure could have used Meech big time to defend the point at the end of the game; that was huge.

but, it's just another reason I love Coach Few and Gonzaga basketball; Meech earned his pine w/ his T, and Few would not compromise principle just to go for the win and put him back in even tho that was the obvious basketball decision to make. Maybe in March it's different, but not now.

lessons learned I believe; time will tell.

Totally agree with all posters who say it's good this all happened now, not in March...Exactly!

GO TEAM ZAGS!!!

Reborn
12-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Wake Forest was not playing good before Harris got ejected. His ejection was like a Christmas present. It gave the Deacons so much joy. It ignited their fire. Before that moment, the Deacons were shooting badly. And in reverse it had the opposite effect on the Zags. Matt started to miss, where he was very hot in the first half. I think Matt was the most effected by Harris' rejection. He did seem to finally rebound as we began to see some light at about the 10 minute mark. Kong brought that light.

Chicken Ball
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
In short:

Rebounding and defense after Harris departed. These were strength areas in previous games. It really illustrates how critical Harris is to success. Offense was good enough to get the job done.

Arop needed to get into the game much sooner and more often.

I'm curious how the stats reflect pre and post Harris departure.

On another note, Wake Forest played well. Gotta give them credit for hitting shots, drawing fouls, hustle for loose balls, penetrating the paint on offense (especially against zone), and rebounding. Zags were beaten by good play. Their young guards were exceptional.
It's true that, without Harris, Zags had a low margin for error. But if they had only shot about 70%, which was their season FT average before Wake, they would have made up three points on free throws (24-34), which would have won the game. Obviously, defense and rebounding suffer when Harris exits; no reason our FT shooting had to suffer, too. Even without Harris' defense and reboundin, if the Zags hit their season FT% average, they win this game.