PDA

View Full Version : Sacre

zagfan1000
12-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Is Robert Sacre feeling alright because he sure doesn't seem to have any energy or bounce like he use to? Hope his foot is OK

btzag
12-05-2009, 07:53 PM
I think he had some early success this year and teams are now adjusting by double teaming him and attacking him more when he has the ball. In his development as a player he needs to read the D better and swing the ball or beat them with quick moves to the bucket.

I have to say I laugh when after a nice performance by sacre or Harris you get the standard "NBA next year" posts. Both are nice players but their games are FAR from complete and need plenty of work. Sacre in particular just needs to adjust to the adjustments made by the Zag opponents so that he can continue to be a force and not just another guy on the court.

roxdoc
12-05-2009, 08:59 PM
I agree btzag - whats "wrong" with Sacre is after all his early success people are now double and even triple teaming him. What makes this even easier to do is the lack of offensive production from our point guard(s). Hopefully Rob will learn to cope with the 5 on 4 defense a little better.

tyra
12-05-2009, 09:06 PM
9 Rebounds, 7 points, 2 blocks in 26 minutes? That's a decent line. Not sure what people are expecting.

mnzag24
12-06-2009, 06:56 AM
i dont know about the rest of you but i was screaming for the guards to feed him the ball in the post. hard for anyone to get numbers when they don't get their hands on the ball. aside from the double teaming he needs more touches.

Ezag
12-06-2009, 08:48 AM
9 Rebounds, 7 points, 2 blocks in 26 minutes? That's a decent line. Not sure what people are expecting.

I think that is sums in up. I think this is all we can expect from Sacre against good teams and that is enough for me.

ZagMania
12-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Its been pretty obvious that when Meech is on the floor the person guarding him is sagging and making the entry passes uncomfortable. Sacre is working hard and they can't deliver the ball. I'd love to see Meech just start catching and shooting the ball in rythym from outside when they do this.

BobZag
12-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Remember, many of us projected Rob to average 8 and 8, and that would be fine. Well, he's exceeding that.

Rob is going through a rough patch as teams are adjusting. Soon we'll see the counter-adjustment and he'll be on his way. Meech has also hit a rough patch of road. Not to worry.

Counter-adjustments are coming.

This happens every year about now: early December.

Stache
12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
BZ-

I agree about the adjustments. Rob needs to be quicker to pass out of the double team, and he must fight last years' urge to drop the ball to his waist when he is not sure what to do with the ball. I think adjustments by other teams will come and the offense will get easier for Rob.

Meech, on the other hand, may IMO need more seasoning. The last two opponents have driven past him and scored on him after breaking him down at the point. They have been extremely talented guards. But, if you aren't getting lock down defense and our point is not really an offensive threat, then perhaps we need to rotate Meech out, run Matt at point, stick SG on their scoring guard, and get Manny/Kong into the game to help out on scoring/rebounding.

I think Meech can and is developing a reliable outside shot, but until it is, in fact, reliable, the defenses will sag and Rob's problems with double teams will continue. The same can be said of SG's offense. When he starts to knock down some shots, Rog's life will get easier. Right now - I guard Matt and Harris. I'm not very frightened of the other guys at this point.

BobZag
12-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Fair comments, Stache. Hard to disagree with anything you wrote.

Stache
12-06-2009, 10:17 AM
What's the line up while meech "seasons" a consistent shot?

MDABE80
12-06-2009, 10:36 AM
I wonder how a coach can prepare for Robert and Elias inside (with an inside-outside game) with Gray and Matt waiting for the ball...Meech or GJ managing the point. It's gravy to have a scoring point. And now comes Bol and Arop who must be giving coaches fits.

If it wasn't for that horrible event yesterday, the Zags are stunning. I can live with the Mich St loss. Moving ahead though, given the personnel we have, this group is hard to manage. Rob though...he'll kill a team if they don't put 1 guy with another helper to sag on him. I hope ROb stays healthy. He's so key to the others' success.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-06-2009, 11:00 AM

Watch the game. It's not all about the Stats... Seriously, watch the game. He's struggling.

Ezag
12-06-2009, 01:50 PM
Sacre will always struggle with decent big centers that is why Harris is so important but we will forget Sacre's troubles when we get into WCC play only to rear it's head in the post season

Reborn
12-06-2009, 02:49 PM
I definitely do not feel there's anything wrong with Bobby physically. I also thought he played a fairly good game. He had 9 boards, and fought hard inside. I think the problem with Rob began with the doube-teams that were thrown at him. He needs to work at passing the ball out of the double-teams. I think he has gotten frustrated and it's affecting his shooting..ie his foul shooting has been poor lately, and he's acutually a good foul shooter.

When a person gets frustrated they hurry up their game, and don't take their time. I clearly see this happening with Rob. He needs to SLOW DOWN. I haven't seen him hit a hook shot for 3 games I think, and where is hs fall away jumper in the lane? All he is scoring on now are dunks and free throws.

Back to basics for Rob.

dim4sum
12-06-2009, 03:07 PM
True Sacre has developed a nice and consistent pop from in close. But he needs to take it to the hole and dunk before he finds the opposition connverging on him. He isn't consistently aggressive when he should be.
He'll be losing time as the season progresses to Arop--a guy who can play the 1 to 5-- and is destined for a starting spot before the season ends.
The beauty of it is that Arop can replace whomever fails in the current starting lineup.

MickMick
12-06-2009, 03:33 PM
When Rob draws attention, others are open and need to pick up the slack.

Lately it has been Bouldin and Harris.

Simple as that and similar to thoughts posted earlier.

BobZag
12-06-2009, 03:46 PM
What's the line up while meech "seasons" a consistent shot?

Meech stays a starter and works his way through this. Ditto for Sacre. Few will let them work it out as the coaches work with them. Meech is one of the toughest, most determined competitors GU has ever had. He'll battle his way back. Had a nice And-1 last night and a couple nice 17+ foot swishers. He'll get there, as will Rob. Btw, Rob will stay at GU all his eligibility so he can develop his game further, ie, a midrange shot and to act quicker, not think so much before his move.

Jedster
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
Sacre will pick this up as the season progresses. Teams are now making the adjustments to him inside and no matter how much he practices it, game speed is different. As the season progresses, he'll get better at making the quick decision to go to the basket with the shot or the dunk, or he'll pass out to the open man. As we get into WCC play and the competition drops a bit (except for a few games), he'll continue to get better. This will be great as the team prepares for March.

It is amazing how much teams just basically ignore Meech out on the perimeter. Hopefully his outside game progresses enough to start keeping teams a bit more honest. This will make it easier for Sacre in the middle as they won't be able to cheat as much.

alldaye
12-06-2009, 06:19 PM
Right now I see 3 problems with Sacre's game offensively.
1) When he catches the ball in the post defense crash down on him, double or triple teaming him. He doesn't realize it fast enough, and often throws it away or throws up a bad mini hook.
2) Kind of associated with #1: He thinks too much. He just needs to catch and go to work. Too often his moves take too long or he just holds the ball.
3) Free Throws. Killed us yesterday. It seems like he misses the 1st one 75% of the time, then rattles the second one in. He was doing much better at the beginning of the season. It's time to hit practice early and get those FT's in Rob!

Defensively he commits dumb fouls, occasionally will have problems boxing out, and is also sometimes caught out of place defensively.

NYCZAG
12-06-2009, 06:36 PM
He is still young once he works at the big man camps and get's some more moves he will be a beast-He already has amazing release and touch-He has a bad habit of doing a power dribble when he turns into the lane and teams see that on a game film and shift the guard down to double team and he is having problems with that-I think he's great and will be amazing in the long run-

seasontixholder
12-06-2009, 07:24 PM
Not too long before the ref meltdown, there was a stretch where Bouldin was feeding Sacre layups seemingly at will. Sacre was abusing his opponent.

For the next 8-10 clock minutes, the whole team was in funk. Then when new blood was added, they played so well that the regulars they replaced never got to do much.

Zag79
12-07-2009, 03:10 AM
pass out of the double team faster, dont bring the ball down to your waist before you shoot after catching a pass, stay aggressive and confident. sacre will be just fine. we've seen his play as has everyone now. time to work around it.