PDA

View Full Version : Et tu St. Loo?

HillBillyZag
04-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Well, now the Jesuits are jumping on the Coaching Merry-go-Round too. St.Louis U. just announced the firing of Coach Brad S. today. I suppose they are tired of being outdone by Georgetown, Boston College, Gonzaga, and Xavier? From what I could understand Brad just had his most successful season, however, no NCAA, no long term pay, seems to be the consensus. Nearly four hundred Colleges and Universities compete in Div.1 Basketball and only six-four will get to the N.C.A.A. I suppose that means that three hundred plus Coaches could theoretically get the axe every year. Whatever happened to loyalty?, University to Coach, and vice versa? Sadly,just follow the dollars.

lothar98zag
04-17-2007, 01:53 PM
Nearly four hundred Colleges and Universities compete in Div.1 Basketball and only six-four will get to the N.C.A.A. I suppose that means that three hundred plus Coaches could theoretically get the axe every year.

It's actually 336 D-1 teams, but your points are still valid...

brasszag
04-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Am I the only one that thinking that GU's success has caused a sea change in the College Basketball world - and not necessarily for the better.

With all the quotes of coaches and AD's wanting to be the "next Gonzaga" in their own words... it seems that the lessons of GU's success have been missed - loyalty, continuity, and player development.

Birddog
04-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Am I the only one that thinking that GU's success has caused a sea change in the College Basketball world - and not necessarily for the better.
You are probably not the only one, but I think you are experiencing a mild case of megalomania.

Birddog

brasszag
04-17-2007, 05:23 PM
You are probably not the only one, but I think you are experiencing a mild case of megalomania.

I only say that because of how many times I see the phrase "the next Gonzaga" or something of that ilk in the media...

Nevtelen
04-17-2007, 05:36 PM
I really think its a symptom, not the cause. It's an easy example to point to, not the underlying reason. American culture is full of "instant results" mania, why should bball be any different? It's unfortunate, but probably here to stay.

OTOH, I totally agree with your observations on GU's methods and what they should point to as a way to success - give a coach a few years to get something off the ground and develop his players, for crying out loud. It will be interesting to see what happens at, say, Winthrop, where they are pretty much following the GU blueprint in staff continuity, player development, and loyalty to the program. Their conference will be a major stone around their neck, but they might have the potential to really take off.