• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

Very, Very Promising Big Picture

Yes, absolutely, losing feels awful and it just plain sucks. That said, keep in mind this team is six (6) points from being undefeated, and each of the two losses were there for the taking by the Zags. A foul here, a stop there, a basket here, a few free-throws there, a rebound, a silly mistake... If just one or two of those goes the other way........

These Zags are a "never say never" gutsy, gritty, tough bunch. The future is exciting to think about.

Small picture: Zags lost by 2 to Wake Forest, caused, in part, by an unfortunate foul.
    Big picture: Zags are 6-2 and so close to 8-0, with some newcomers starting to come on strong.

I can only speak for myself, but I am very optimistic about these Zags.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • GPGUgrad
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

I see the "Big Picture". Our young guys need playing time, it should be a great tough team at the right time.

Learning lessons, patience.

Comment

• Ezag
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Yes, this is a gutsy team like none other in GU's past. I have no doubt had the Harris incident not happened, we would have prevailed, this team does not quit.

If there is a good that came out of this, we got a sneak peak at Manny and Kong potential--making some valuable contributions in a big game against big players.

Comment

• IdahoZagFan
        Bulldog Fan
        • Mar 2008

Thank You, Bobzag!

Thank you, Bobzag, for pointing out the obvious! Yes, this is a team with a lot of promise! Go, Zags!!!

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
          Yes, absolutely, losing feels awful and it just plain sucks. That said, keep in mind this team is six (6) points from being undefeated, and each of the two losses were there for the taking by the Zags. A foul here, a stop there, a basket here, a few free-throws there, a rebound, a silly mistake... If just one or two of those goes the other way........

These Zags are a "never say never" gutsy, gritty, tough bunch. The future is exciting to think about.

Small picture: Zags lost by 2 to Wake Forest, caused, in part, by an unfortunate foul.
          Big picture: Zags are 6-2 and so close to 8-0, with some newcomers starting to come on strong.

Totally agree. It really took about a half of a game for them to get themselves righted. I saw several positives. Bol was lights out and got us back in the game. Not bad for a guy who has been riding pine. Steven continues to take care of business in other ways besides scoring. For those out there that think he is selfish... you really haven't been watching the games and you certainly don't know much about hoops. There are two sides of the game, while Steven isn't scoring he is one of the best defenders on the floor. I'll take that any day

I look at it this way, having Harris ejected helped this team in the end. The bench IMHO just got bigger tonight and that can only bode well for the Zags down the road.

EH will be fine... it was nothing close to being a Gerald Henderson moment and not nearly as egregious as Lavin made it out to be. Also, going with the Lavin theme... just a peeve here... when the other team starts keeping pace with the other team in terms of scoring it ceases to be a "run".
          "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• jim77
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
            Yes, this is a gutsy team like none other in GU's past. I have no doubt had the Harris incident not happened, we would have prevailed, this team does not quit.

If there is a good that came out of this, we got a sneak peak at Manny and Kong potential--making some valuable contributions in a big game against big players.
            AMEN.

Comment

• gamagin
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

+1

Originally posted by BobZag View Post

and we're really just getting started.

Go TEAM Zags !
              Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
              Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
              Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Comment

• HOOTER
                Zag for Life
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by Ezag View Post
                I have no doubt had the Harris incident not happened, we would have prevailed
                Absolutely, beyond a shadow of a doubt. That was the game changer of the century. That took the wind out of our sails and gave WF enough momentum to last the remainder of the game. There is alot to be excited about, no question, but I'm in no mood to be excited right now.

Comment

• NovaZag
                  Kennel Club Material
                  • Nov 2009

I share your optimism Bobzag. Playing in these close games against quality opponents this early in the season will pay dividends for these young guys come March. I have no doubt Few will work out the kinks.

Comment

• surfmonkey89
                    Not Roy Orbison
                    • Feb 2007

I disagree.

Please don't post anything positive.

Neg reppin' you

:P

Comment

• mendiant
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

One correction dear Robert....there were TWO unfortunate fouls.

Either one NOT done and we win.

love,
                      mendiant
                      A Zag is generous.

A Zag knows he is much more than the sum of his stats.

A Zag has a desire to be part of something that is bigger than himself.

Comment

• drnoe
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Tonight's loss really sucked. To be really objective, the refs did the right thing to toss Harris. If what he did was shocking to me, imagine how shocking it was to his teammates. The Harris debacle cost the Zags the game, and that is a fact. They still ended up fighting back and had a shot to win the game. Manny and Bol ended up getting valuable PT... that was a great thing! Sometimes a loss brings about good things.

KO is going to be a force in WCC play... you have to love most of the decisions he makes right now. Gibbs is also going to be a great asset. Bol Kong was huge tonight. Manny is earning more and more minutes. Gray will get his stroke back. Bouldin is earning his first team AA creds.

The rest of December, I have a feeling, is going to define this team. After this F&*^%$ loss, I have a really good feeling about playing Duke in the Garden. Tonight's loss is a defining moment.

Comment

You know, we could have scheduled a lesser team for today's game, and left the Kennel feeling really good about ourselves. Instead, we scheduled an ACC team that will probably win 20 games this year, and left the Kennel with a loss and a great sense of what-could-have-been.

Mark Few schedules games like this for two reasons: Help our RPI come March, and get ready for conference games. Our RPI won't take a huge hit on this one, and we definitely can use this game as a learning experience.

Like all of Zag Nation, the two technical fouls (especially the first one) left me wondering what's going on with our Zags. We lost our composure, a sign (I think) of our youth. We all knew going in to this season that there would be steep learning curves, and today was one.

Harris said he didn't know what he did wrong, and I believe him. I would expect, however, after the coaching staff goes over the tape with him, he will realize his mistake and not repeat it. Meech came very close to a T in the WSU game, and got a well deserved one today. After today's episode, he rode a lot of pine. One would think lesson learned.

With our regulars not getting the job done, Few did his second great coaching job of the week, patching together an unlikely lineup that almost pulled out another win. This team is tough, this team believes in itself.

Between the two games, we got great bench play from Arop, Gibbs, and Kong, plus another gutty performance by Olynyk. The bench is coming around, and that is probably the greatest plus of the week.

Robert has had two sub par games in a row, and Stephen has struggled offensively. The latter must learn to handle double teams, and the former just seems a hair off on his shot - my guess is that he is getting close to going off on somebody.

Matty is just a stud. Nuff said.

We are 6-2. I would have taken this record in a heartbeat before the season started. More importantly, we are getting the needed experience before league starts. Remember, folks, it is not our ranking now that counts, it is our RPI and league record in March that we are playing for.

Keep the faith. The kids are alright!

Comment

• Reborn
                            Zag for Life
                            • Oct 2007

Elias Harris did NOT lose this game for the Zags! The TEAM lost it. Harris made a big mistake, and it was a big blow to the Zags. It was almost a knockout punch. The Zags hit the canvas for sure after Elias was ejected. This game reminds me of what it feels like to be hit hard in the chin in a fight. I mean real hard. So hard that the blow knocks you to the ground. You lie there stunned and manage to get back on your feet but you are very wobbly.

And then Meech's techincal. Another big blow that made us hit the canvas again. Meech was benched for the rest of the game. Now two of our tougher players are gone. We are staggered for sure. It looks like Wake Forest is going in for the knockout at any moment. But suddenly this young Zag team finds new life in Bol Kong and Manny Arop. And we begin fightig our way back. It was an incredible comeback by the Zags. We had our chance in the end, and missed it. IMO the last shot should have been taken by Kong. He was the one who was brnging us back. He brought new life to a beaten Zag team.

I get pretty darn tired of all the negativity on the board, but it happens after every loss. This is one heck of a Zag team with so much heart and fight in it. And Elias Harris has as much fight in him as anyone. I feel bad for him because he is a true warrior. The most amazing thing about this game is how we almost came back without Harris, and without Sacre and Meech. And yet we will continue to hear talk about what a lousey bench we have. GIVE ME A BREAK. There's so much talent there, and so much toughness.

Harris was not trying to hurt McFarland. He would have used his fist or elbow if he had wanted to. To call a forearm to the neck with more of a push than a hit violent, is rediculous. McFarland is a FAKE and he was the dirtiest player on the court and some of our own fans stand up for him. Basketball at the college level is unbelievably tough and sometimes violent. But Harris' blow was not one of them. Unless you've played at the college level you may have a tough time to understand how brutal the game can get, and also how much faking goes on. There is more FAKING THAN atual brutality. But players are trying to place hurt on opponents all the time. Elais is NOT like that. He is the one on our team who is usuallly trying to keep the peace, as in the Cincinatti game when Meech got closelined by a hit to the neck while driving to the basket on a layup. That player was NOT ejected and that blow was ABOVE the chest too.

If this affects either Harris or the Zags I will be shocked. It's something that happens in the heat of a battle sometimes. And if we are talking about Harris "breaking the rules" and should be disqualified,then why wasn't the Wake Forest player called for an intential foul at the end when he clealry grabbed Matt around the waist and was NOT making an attemt to hit the ball. Answer that, those of you who think refs are perfect. IN my opinon if you eject Harris for violation of a rule (which is akay) then you need to call that intentional foul at the end of the game.

I love this team because it's filled with fighters. Somehow they always find a way. What would everyone be saying if we had won the game? And we could have. If Steven makes those free throws we win that game. Aminu and McFarland had already fouled out, and two of Wakes other bigs had 4 fouls on them. They would have crumbled in OT. And everyone on the GUboard would be happy.

You know I hate losing. Thats why I waited so long to post. But I have to tell you, I loved this game more than any of them so far because the odds of us making a comeback without Harris seemed absolutely impossible. And then suddenly in comes Bol Kong. Bang, bang, bang, bang, and then a sweet assist to Gray for a layup. I love it when Kong is shooting and the nets are almost ripping. He was hitting nothing but net all night. Wow!!! And Did you see Manny Arop guarding Aminu? Manny is so tough, ripping down one rebound after another. Sacre should be ashamed. I've been a huge fan of Manny Arop from the get go, and he is going to be soooooo goood. And Kong too. This loss will make us better, and tougher too. The Zags look tired. We've had a lot of tough games. Maybe we get a little repreive next week.
                            Last edited by Reborn; 12-05-2009, 08:59 PM. Reason: just to clean it up
                            Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• TM27
                              Professional Zag Fan
                              • Feb 2007

Three things that I continue to notice:

1) Every GU team before this one has a "hump" that they cant get over whether it is due to talent or heart. This team has seen in game adversity that would have destroyed some of the past GU teams and they seem to have the heart, and the talent, to hang with anyone....
                              2) Along those same lines...Matt Bouldin is the most impressive Zag I have ever watched! Loved Santangelo, loved Daye, Blake, Ammo, Ronny, Rillie, Casey and Dan, etc but right now Few is able to put any 4 players from the bench in with Matt and the team is competitive b/c Matt can do SO much. He is unbelievable! I have no idea if he is athletic enough to survive in the league, but as a complete basketball player he has to be the best we have ever had.
                              3) Mark Few is having his best season. In game adjustments, playing time, use of TO's, and getting the kids to "buy in". He is doing a great job!
                              Last edited by TM27; 12-05-2009, 09:16 PM.
                              TM

Comment

Working...
                              X