PDA

View Full Version : 10 reasons I loved this game

ZagHouse
12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
1. Matt Bouldin is turning into the player we all felt he would be.
2. Arop and Bol off the bench
3. Total wake-up call for Steven
4. Without another dominating performance by Elias, people can shut up for a week about him leaving for the NBA.
5. The team still showed a lot of grit clawing back against a decent ACC team.
6. Lots of free throw shooting and rebounding drills at practice
7. I'm thinking this lights a fire under this team's arse (I like this team playing with a chip on its shoulder)
8. We're still 6-2
9. Rob needs to do as much soul searching as Steven (which is a good thing)
10. Who am I kidding, I hated this game.

mendiant
12-05-2009, 06:35 PM
I really did love this game (other than the lose part).

When you are in the building,

and the noise level is at an intensity that literally effects your heart rate...

(at one point my hands were shaking)

win or lose, the experience is INTENSE!

And our guys fought back!!!

But I think they beat themselves with some lame moves.

That being said...once again

LOVE MY ZAGS!

mendiant

Ezag
12-05-2009, 06:52 PM
I agree with all your points and at this point, Gray should be the 6th man again and Sacre needs to ride the pine--a seven footer who can't score or rebound. For as much criticism as we gave Heytvelt, he could at least give us 15pts a game.

rijman
12-05-2009, 07:05 PM
4. Without another dominating performance by Elias, people can shut up for a week about him leaving for the NBA.
7. I'm thinking this lights a fire under this team's arse (I like this team playing with a chip on its shoulder)
8. We're still 6-2

I agree with 1-9 only. I didn't hate the game, only the outcome.

Tha Zags will learn from this game, especially Harris, and it will make them a better team in March.

jim77
12-05-2009, 07:09 PM
I agree with all your points and at this point, Gray should be the 6th man again and Sacre needs to ride the pine--a seven footer who can't score or rebound. For as much criticism as we gave Heytvelt, he could at least give us 15pts a game.

So who is gonna take Rob's place? Don't kid yourself, a lot of plays don't happen cause he is standing in the middle. Yeah, he's screwed up some but, you still have to shoot over him. The other team would go inside a lot more without him. Kelly O is a nice addition but he's not strong enough to replace Rob. I wish I had a way to read comments of what folks would have said about various players if we 'd won by 2? I thought the team showed heart reeling Wake back in...and the Zags could have and should have still won. We did get Kong some great minutes and he delivered...Arop is very impressive. I'm still kinda surprised at how young and TALENTED this team is....and FIESTY TOO :)

westside-zagfan
12-05-2009, 07:12 PM
Grant Gibbs' latest tweet on twitter simply said "flop".. does that mean Gonzaga flopped tonight? or did he mean mcfarland flopped when harris was going for the rebound and knocked him over?

I like your top 10. Especially 10, I hated the game also, and I think the players hated how this one turned out too. Their test now is how they improve and go forward following a big loss. Like I said earlier a short memory span is the key to being a good basketball player and or team.

Also is it just me or is the kennel club not blowing the roof off the kennel like they used too?

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-05-2009, 07:32 PM
[QUOTE=ZagHouse;493900]

This one is genius.

Zag79
12-07-2009, 02:07 AM
flop, he flopped. i like the teams grit, lacking it was what hurt past zag teams. we fought back, the team backed each other up, a few easy fixes and this team keeps rolling. rob has to get better, but he knows that. no biggie. what i dont get is why people are getting on the same guys they wanted to replace pargo and josh last year. :lmao: anyone see how good those guys were last year yet? this team will be just fine.

MickMick
12-07-2009, 03:54 AM
Agree with all of your points except Harris.

If Zags make a deep run in March it will because Harris takes over games like he did against WSU. It will not go unnoticed.

That second half against WSU gave the scouts much to marvel at. I don't understand using the game against Wake Forest as a reference point. There was nothing to reference. Except possibly that the Zags fell apart upon his departure. If anything, it showed how critical Harris is to Zag success.

seasontixholder
12-07-2009, 06:29 AM
I saw that game in person and it sucked. It was reffed by a lead guy who thought he was the center of attention. Dave Libbey without the competence. His game management was abysmal and the thing dragged on for about 20 minutes longer than needed/normal. The stranglehold they put it in resulted in constant interruptions that ruined any continuity. Even as the GU rally began, I told those around me that it probably wouldn't work because rallies can't survive choppiness, and there were going to be whistles on the defensive end instead of stops in questionable plays. There were other stoppages that were just headscratching.

Players often play down to the level of the refereeing. Clunky games between reasonable teams happen for a reason.

BTW, that referee had the option of not throwing Harris. A good one wouldn't have.

Zag4Hire
12-07-2009, 07:04 AM
8. We're still 6-2

Exceptional points but I want to try and debate some of the points. I don't completely disagree, just offering another side:

#3 I would have thought a few previous games would have offered a total wake-up call for Steven. For all the praise he received for his defense against Klay, he made more than a handful head-scratching passes in the Wazzu game. Lav said 'Gray is better as a catch and shoot player' but I disagree. He seems tentative and I don't know why. The confidence doesn't appear to be there, just speculating. When he was fouled with no time left by Brody aginst Santa Clara, he had a look of conviction that I am going to get the Zags into OT and win this game. Against Wake going to the line, he didn't look as confident. He almost appeared to be doing the FT shooting no-no: stepping away from his shot.

#5 I think the team look lost. I have never heard of a team going on the run that Wake did. What was is 37-12? They lost their bearings when their offensive horse got tossed and couldn't find a way to recover. Meech forces it way too much. Sacre doesn't seem to be the factor he was against MSU. Granted, the lone benefit is that Manny and Kong will get in the rotation with some great performances. However, back-to-back having the other team push the Zags around for offensive boards.

#7 I would hope so. I don't see Davidson being anywhere remotely as competitive as the one with Curry. They have a tough slate with Duke, Oklahoma, and Illinois so I think we will no more where they stand after that part of the schedule.

#9 I don't quite understand what you mean by that. I am not being condescending but is there something that I don't know.

#10 More of the outcome, which is I guess what you mean. Great to see some of the other young'ins step in and get some quality PT in a big game.