PDA

View Full Version : Zags took "Stupid" Pills

Zag 77
12-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Zags actually had good shooting percentages and did many things well. Kong was a treat. However, the Zag motto is "Play hard, PLAY SMART." They failed on the latter:

1.) 13 missed free throws (21 for 34, 62%). That is the game right there in a 2 point loss. That is mostly mental.

2.) Meech's Technical. Hasn't Alex Hernandez told the guys about when he slammed the ball down a few years ago and got a technical that almost got him booted from the team? Inexcusable. Even 4th graders playing YMCA ball know not to do that. That is just a dumbass move.

3.) Elias. Up until tonight I thought he was a level headed guy with a stereotypical German personality (calm, lack of visible emotion, etc.) Jeez, I don't care if an opponent says "your momma wears army boots," or "your sister is easy," you can't pull a Zinedine Zidane and throw him to the ground.

4.) Kelly. PLEASE QUIT TRYING FOR FLASHY TIP-INS !!!! Just grab the damned ball and keep possession. I counted at least 4 failed tip-in attempts.
One more offensive possession might have made a difference.

5.) I don't think I saw anybody set a screen for Kong, Gray or Bouldin. What shots they got were on their own.

We did not deserve to win tonight. We were very lucky to get close. Hopefully the team will learn some needed lessons tonight. And I suspect Meech and Elias will be running about 5000 lines at the next practice.

Zag 77
12-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Uncharacteristically this team played without intelligence tonight.

MedZag
12-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Underclassmen.

TexasZagFan
12-05-2009, 05:43 PM
Zags actually had good shooting percentages and did many things well. Kong was a treat. However, the Zag motto is "Play hard, PLAY SMART." They failed on the latter:

1.) 13 missed free throws (21 for 34, 62%). That is the game right there in a 2 point loss. That is mostly mental.

2.) Meech's Technical. Hasn't Alex Hernandez told the guys about when he slammed the ball down a few years ago and got a technical that almost got him booted from the team? Inexcusable. Even 4th graders playing YMCA ball know not to do that. That is just a dumbass move.

3.) Elias. Up until tonight I thought he was a level headed guy with a stereotypical German personality (calm, lack of visible emotion, etc.) Jeez, I don't care if an opponent says "your momma wears army boots," or "your sister is easy," you can't pull a Zinedine Zidane and throw him to the ground.

4.) Kelly. PLEASE QUIT TRYING FOR FLASHY TIP-INS !!!! Just grab the damned ball and keep possession. I counted at least 4 failed tip-in attempts.
One more offensive possession might have made a difference.

5.) I don't think I saw anybody set a screen for Kong, Gray or Bouldin. What shots they got were on their own.

We did not deserve to win tonight. We were very lucky to get close. Hopefully the team will learn some needed lessons tonight. And I suspect Meech and Elias will be running about 5000 lines at the next practice.

I must've missed Meech's technical, no wonder Few benched him (I was surfing back and forth to the SEC title game).

As young as this team is, I've been expecting more mental lapses this early in the season. Your points were spot on, as usual, and patience is needed.

Great point about needing more screens for our shooters. I saw little of the pick & roll tonight.

mendiant
12-05-2009, 05:48 PM
Good point Tex...

Young team and basically an NCAA caliber opponent.

This is GREAT early experience for our guys.

I hope they take advantage of all of those many "teaching moments" this game has afforded them.

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-05-2009, 05:56 PM
I wish I had some stupid pills. Maybe I could get some sleep tonight.

HOOTER
12-05-2009, 07:23 PM
The bottom line here is that Wake didn't win tonight, the Zags lost. Stupid mistakes, the worst of which being Harris and his perplexing elbow toss, allowed WF to get the upper hand. It's impressive that we actually had a chance at the end considering all of the ridiculous mistakes we made. How did we not get blown out? I just can't wait to put this one behind us and move on because this loss stings a bunch.

Zagguy
12-05-2009, 07:42 PM

Zag 77
12-06-2009, 07:57 AM
I guess it will be interesting to see what approach the coaching staff takes with the attack of boneheadedness. The "Woody Hayes" style or the "kind and patient" approach? Probably a little bit of both, with some of the coaches playing different roles.

Baldwinzag
12-06-2009, 08:10 AM
I was perplexed at the lack of screens as well, especially for Kong. Also, I wathced Steven Gray launch at least two long-range 3's at the end of the game when Bol was completely left WIDE OPEN in the corner with his arm's up. What gives? Gray has been cold as ice this entire week and Bol couldn't miss a shot. Why not give it up to the hot hand and the open guy? He didn't even look...