PDA

View Full Version : issue with the defense

matty1090
12-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I know I dont have many posts to my name, so my credibility is in question here, but I am a life long zag supporter. So here it is. I loved that Bol stepped it up offensively, but man did he get beat up defensively. There were SEVERAL times where he just failed to pressure his man, particularly when they were driving on him, resulting in many uncontested shots. And it wasnt just Bol either. I have been very impressed with the defense up to this point, however there were many times today that I saw players getting confused with their defensive responsibility. If it was zone, everyone crowds over to the side of the ball (when they absolutely dont need to) and someone becomes WIDE open. Its not a hard concept, just have enough space between you and your defender when the ball is not on your side of the court so that you can recover when they swing the ball over. And if its man coverage, then stay with your man! This has been an issue with previous zag teams, i.e. Morrison's senior year in particular. They cannot afford to be lazy on defense and simply gamble that their opponent is going to miss a shot, it never works. Ive rewatched most of the game and I think this observation is pretty spot on. Anyone think this a valid issue that needs to be addressed? If not feel free to tell me to shut it.

Just A Zag
12-05-2009, 05:47 PM
38.1% from the field and 53.3 percent from behind the arc. pretty standard for gonzaga defenses. it's almost as if we dare teams to take threes, and when they get hot we pay the consequences.

FuManShoes
12-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I concur, and sorry for starting a repetitive thread. The D letvus down in this one. Wake made some contested threes, but those looks late in the game were way too easy. And box out! How many tip ins did wake have? I'd wager 12 points off tipins alone.

sittingon50
12-05-2009, 08:40 PM
Pretty sure he was put in 'cause they needed some scoring.

Before today, he had been in 4 of 7 games & played 27 minutes. My guess is it's gonna' take a little more time than that to figure out his defensive responsibilities.

Zag79
12-07-2009, 02:23 AM
did notice he dropped his hand, but thats very fixable and hes too valuable to not play. can he stroke it or what? wow, at one point i just shook my head and laughed. the hype is real.

Birddog
12-07-2009, 03:45 AM
I know I dont have many posts to my name, so my credibility is in question here, but I am a life long zag supporter.

"It's not the size of the wand that puts the rabbit in the hat, it's the magic of the performer." If the number of posts influenced credibility, then our friend from Moscow would be off the charts with his 100+ in 24 hours.

PS The length of the post doesn't influence credibility either. Short and succinct trumps long length every time.

Reborn
12-07-2009, 05:46 AM
The season is young, and we have a lot of new guys on the team. Defensive schemes can be as tough to learn as offensive. So, of course, the team is going to make a lot of mistakes on Defense. Mark Few uses a variety of defenses, and actually, imo, the guys are doing real well for how early it is in the season, and they will improve. What I like about this team is that the guys like to play defense, and for the most part they are tough. Now they just need to learn how to play defense as a team and that means learnig the schemes.

Kong does have a lot to learn on the defensive end. He is behind, yes, but the only way he gets better is by playing. So Few has to balance his playing time needs with what the team's needs are in each game. I believe, from what I am seeing, that he is improving. He's improving on rebounding a little too.

cjm720
12-07-2009, 07:18 AM
Worst team defense of the year by far. Of course, not having our beasts down low really hurts. Sacre and Meech need to control their silly fouls. Harris need to learn to not get caught (where's Stock? LOL). That said, we did contain Aminu fairly well, which was pleasing. Our defense is what will be a difference maker come March.

What many posters consistently don't realize is that players have roles on this team and Few has several situational line-ups and offensives and defenses to match. Bol came in for offense, and Few gambled that his D wouldn't hurt more than he could provide on other end (mission accomplished). So sure, Bol's D wasn't that great but he did what he was asked to do and was the primary reason we were in a position to tie the game at the end. Way to go Bol!!!!

Go Zags!!!

Zag4Hire
12-07-2009, 07:29 AM
The perimeter defense is horrendous but this seems to be par for the course over the last few years. If the opponent shows a little patience and works the ball around, they always seem to have a great look at the trey.

On a side note, two things that I love about Gibbs and Olynyk: They never give their man room to breath. I thought that was pertinent with Wake because they didn't seem to have many guys that could handle the ball. Gibbs is always stabbing at the ball and Olynyk has always got a hand in his man's face.

CDC84
12-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Wake Forest was a terrible 3 point shooting team last year and has been a poor one so far this year. Gonzaga was clearly begging them to shoot from distance. The decision backfired. Nonetheless, I totally agree....the zone left a lot to be desired on Saturday. I also think they zoned a lot after Harris got tossed out of fear that Wake's big men would hurt them. That strategy was correct when it came to limiting their halfcourt offense, but GU ended up getting killed on the offensive boards.

I know Gonzaga hasn't had a lot of practice time to practice their zone, but I think this is a better man to man defensive team. Especially when Meech is guarding the point of attack (and not hand checking people). When Meech is not guarding the point of attack, the team's man defense really suffers.

Birddog
12-07-2009, 09:20 AM
That strategy was correct when it came to limiting their halfcourt offense, but GU ended up getting killed on the offensive boards.
Surprisingly, the 1st half figures for Wake were 11 O Rbs and !2 D Rbs and the 2nd half they had 5 O Rbs and 14 D Rbs. Now what was the lineup for the Zags for the bulk of the 2nd half again?

CDC84
12-07-2009, 10:23 AM
A bunch of short guys..at least part of the time. That's interesting, because I was at the game staring at Wake's end of the basket in the 2nd half, and it sure seemed as if most of the offensive boards came in the 2nd half. I was wrong......

Birddog
12-07-2009, 03:59 PM
They (Wake) had a lot of 2nd and 3rd chance baskets in the 1st half, especially early in the half. I was screaming because they got so many. They were very good with tip-ins. I can't figure out why we miss so many.

WallaWallaZag
12-07-2009, 04:08 PM
don't forget that o-boards are a direct result of missed shots...i'm guessing wake missed more in the first half than the second. they seemed to be hitting their jumpers much of the 2nd half.

in terms of the zone, i think the idea was to protect big rob since elias was out...the right call. it just happened that we had success with the small lineup in the 2nd half and didn't use rob as much, but the strategy of protecting rob with elias out was the correct one.

MickMick
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
Wake Forest was a terrible 3 point shooting team last year and has been a poor one so far this year. Gonzaga was clearly begging them to shoot from distance. The decision backfired. Nonetheless, I totally agree....the zone left a lot to be desired on Saturday. I also think they zoned a lot after Harris got tossed out of fear that Wake's big men would hurt them. That strategy was correct when it came to limiting their halfcourt offense, but GU ended up getting killed on the offensive boards.

I know Gonzaga hasn't had a lot of practice time to practice their zone, but I think this is a better man to man defensive team. Especially when Meech is guarding the point of attack (and not hand checking people). When Meech is not guarding the point of attack, the team's man defense really suffers.

We have a winning post here from CDC. For those that want Meech out of the lineup, expect a lot of zone (3 pt city here we come) and expect a lot of defense like we saw in the second half against Wake.

The winning formula in Maui, the formula that came close in East Lansing, revolved around Goodson taking away a primary playmaker.

Pick your poison. If you want a scoring contest, pull Meech, but the outcome must be Gray, Sacre, and the player that replaces Meech coming up big in the scoring department.

I'm asking....why go away from a formula that spanked Wisconsin and proved worthy against three totally different styles of play in Maui?