PDA

View Full Version : Poor FT Shooting Killed the Zags

zagster318
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
Much was made about Wake's poor FT % entering this game, but the Demon Deacons went 21-28 from the line, whereas the Zags went 21-34 (62%). If this isn't rectified, it's going to cost us more important games in the future.

After a mentally draining loss, I cannot think of a better time for two cupcakes.

GUDan07
12-05-2009, 04:29 PM
I was just discussing with some of the other guys at the bar today how much I took for granted GU's exemplary FT shooting in the past. As long as I can remember, every member of the team was a knockdown FT shooter. This team? Not so much.

surfmonkey89
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
When you lose by two there are a million reasons "why we lost".

Yes, FTs were an issue. So were Reb, Off Reb, Sacre's no show, Gray's inconsistency, Meech's poor showing, Harris, etc, etc, etc.

The only thing more embarrassing than how the team played today is the fan's reaction, and by that I mean online as well as in the stands.

Everyone needs to chill for a couple of hours.

NEC26
12-05-2009, 04:34 PM
I was thinking this as well we were awful from the line today.

zagster318
12-05-2009, 04:38 PM
When you lose by two there are a million reasons "why we lost".

Yes, FTs were an issue. So were Reb, Off Reb, Sacre's no show, Gray's inconsistency, Meech's poor showing, Harris, etc, etc, etc.

The only thing more embarrassing than how the team played today is the fan's reaction, and by that I mean online as well as in the stands.

Everyone needs to chill for a couple of hours.

When you leave 13 free points off the board, it's a significant factor, and possibly the single most important reason why they lost, even after taking the Harris ejection into consideration (since Kong stepped up)...and I am perfectly chill. Sorry I don't think everything is peachy in Zagland and feel like mentioning it on a Zag basketball message board.

surfmonkey89
12-05-2009, 04:41 PM
The embarrassing remark wasn't about you, it was regarding other threads. I guess it would have been better served in said threads.

Again though, we lost by two. There are a ton of ways we could (and should) have made up those points.

zagster318
12-05-2009, 04:45 PM
The embarrassing remark wasn't about you, it was regarding other threads. I guess it would have been better served in said threads.

Mea culpa:)

zagster318
12-05-2009, 04:46 PM
The Zags lost their heart late in the 1st half and barely recovered late in the game to make a respectible show of it. Trying to anaylize why we lost this game seems a bit silly to me.

When you refer to "heart," are saying that they lost the heart of the team (Harris), or that the team didn't play with any heart? I would appreciate the clarification.

WallaWallaZag
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
we lost for a number of reasons, with free throws being one of them...not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things this loss won't matter if we learn from this and take care of business from here on out...at the worst, this game might of cost us one seed in tournament.

ps. - not sure how much you can improve free throw shooting within the season, but definitely something we need to work on (sacre/olynyk).

zagster318
12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
we lost for a number of reasons, with free throws being one of them...not a big deal, in the grand scheme of things this loss won't matter if we learn from this and take care of business from here on out...at the worst, this game might of cost us one seed in tournament.

ps. - not sure how much you can improve free throw shooting within the season, but definitely something we need to work on (sacre/olynyk).

I am not worried about this loss per se, but I am worried that the poor FT shooting will serve as harbinger of what we can expect against Duke, Memphis, Portland, the NCAA's, etc. Hell, FTs cost Memphis a national title! In previous years, FTs were an afterthought for the Zags, but 62% is awful.

zag944
12-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Matty couldnt even miss a free throw correctly :o