PDA

View Full Version : What did we learn tonight?

tyra
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Aside from obvious -- Harris' ejection hurt us big time -- what else did we learn tonight that we can use going forward to be a better team?

thickman1
12-05-2009, 04:14 PM
Kong can flat out shoot. Finding him minutes in the rotation when either Boulding or Gray are hot from behind the arc will seriously hurt other teams on the defensive end because the "D" will be forced to stretch opening up Harris and Sacre inside.

Manny might be getting close to eclipsing Gray's spot at the 3. He really attacks the glass and has a good looking shot. He's also so darn long on defense.

Kelly just looks so uncomfortable on offense. It appears that he never is quite sure if he should shoot, dribble, or pass. It doesn't look nearly as herky-jerky as it was against MSU but I hope by mid-January he'l be more confident at the offensive end.

Team wide this team needs to put their butts on the opposition when a shot goes up. Find SOMEONE to block out. Everyone will complain about the loss of Harris but at halftime the team had a -10 rebounding margin including giving up 11 offensive boards to Wake. That is unacceptable.

The509sfinest
12-05-2009, 04:17 PM
Give Kong more minutes. And they better shoot lots of free throws durning practice because today was just pathetic. Lol dont negative rep me for saying it was pathetic but you guys have all seen them shoot from the line better tonight. They wouldve won if they made them. Wake just wanted it more than us tonight.

gamagin
12-05-2009, 04:22 PM
we lost this first underneath by a fingernail in half a dozen cases. And second at the ft line.

That is a dead clock shot and they nailed all but 1-2 and we shot lousy. Even the chance to tie was 1-3 by Steven.

And underneath, I saw so many putbacks by a finger and several rebounds by an inch.

Unfortunately, it looks to me like 00 is in a slump. His shoulders slump, his shooting was stiff and his f.t.'s were mostly clunkers.

He was mostly out of position and he also too often tried to force his way in by lowering his arms and revealing the ball to shorter WF players who were waiting for him.

All teachable moments. All fixable situations. Bol and Arop really picked up some of the slack and KO did his part, too.

even with all that we damn near won it. The refs, imo, were bad, and that 7 point play left us left footed way too long.

So even with our problems and EH's bad play, we came {} close to beating this very strong, very persistent, very good, team. EH effectively took himself out of that game and that might have been the difference, too. We'll never know.

Next time !

GO TEAM ZAGS ! ! !

MickMick
12-05-2009, 04:24 PM
We learned that the Zags will get killed on the boards without Harris in the game.

NovaZag
12-05-2009, 04:36 PM
As surprising as EH's foul was, I think we learned more about the team's response to his absence. I know, not having his rebounding services hurt, but Zags simply were flustered, missing defensive/rebounding assignments, poor free throw shooting, not to mention DG's technical. We know this team can come back fron deficits, but keeping their composure will prevent them from having to do so. I thought our bench players were the one's who helped stopped the bleeding, which is perhaps the most positive thing I learned.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-05-2009, 04:37 PM
We also learned that Bobby will be back next year.. and likely for his senior year.. He's not as good as we all thought. Just proves how important Elias is, and how stupid he was tonight... At least we got a glimpse of how good King Kong and Manny can be... Also, Bouldin is our guy, and I'm glad. Gray needs to find his shot, MAN this is the story of the program. Why can't players play to their potential?

El Voce
12-05-2009, 04:40 PM
Aside from obvious -- Harris' ejection hurt us big time -- what else did we learn tonight that we can use going forward to be a better team?

We learned that the kids are alright. Whatever doesn't kill us, will make us stronger.

El Voce
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
I'm pretty sure you were killed.

Losing a game to an ACC team by two?? Hardly killed. There will be a lot learned from today's game, which will show itself when it matters next spring.

First post? Poor effort.

zagray
12-05-2009, 04:47 PM
EH was not trying to deliver a blow to the neck, but to the chest, count it as poor judgement with help from a flop. Gray's lack of work ethic during the summer is rising to the surface, someone lock him in the gym for a couple of weeks.

GonzagasaurusFlex
12-05-2009, 04:58 PM
We learned the Zags have plenty of talent and this will be another great year, but this team will not be special without better on-court leadership from Bouldin and Gray when things are falling apart. The team was clearly off kilter, yet every timeout or break in play I never saw Bouldin or Gray rally guys together, get animated, inspire confidence etc... Bouldin played great and yeah, he exhibits a kind of stoic leadership by example...but this young team need better vocal leadership by the upperclassmen. Grant Gibbs will be that for this team by next year..

mendiant
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
The best thing to improve upon is Free Throw shooting, and rebounds aren't as impressive as first noted early in the season.

That being said, kind of surprised at some of the negativity (aside from the Troll).

Honestly, they came very close and scrapped their way back within striking distance of a win.

Um, for whomever said Kelly looked "uncomfortable", are we watching the same games?

He's lanky but plays like he's got another 50 lbs on him...fearless in the paint, really. Playmaker.

Love his face, looks like he could play an elf in LOTR.

Robert will be fine...

I remember the first few games Batista played as a starter, he had to find his hands, fumbled about a bit...

Sugar will find his as well. And, yes, I'm so glad he's just a soph, forgot about the redshirt.

I'm blown away by the depth of this team and the potential...

Manny, wow!

Bol, Oh My Word!

Grant, will obviously grow into another great GU PG!

Elias, he's awesome!

Bottom line, pretty much everyone had some great moments in this game.

and pretty much everyone had some bad moments in the game...

kinda the way life works really.

I for one, was really proud of the effort these guys put into this game...

Zag Heart, truly.

love,
mendiant

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-05-2009, 06:01 PM
Rebounds Rebounds Rebounds.. How many tip ins and second chances are we going to allow? My god Rob, you're a load, learn how to block out! And what has happened to Steven? All I can say is, Thank god for Matt Bouldin, who should be considered for early attention for national POY.

rijman
12-05-2009, 06:10 PM
We learned what we already knew, young team that will make mistakes. Harris took an elbow in the chin from Mcfarland and over retaliated.

I was yelling at Mcfarland when he fouled out for another elbow to the face against KO. I loved that he couldn't believe he committed a foul. That's his MO, elbows to the face, unfortunately the one against Harris won them the game when Harris retaliated.

Tough loss in a game they should have won, if they could have finished with all their players. The positive is we saw some good play from the bench. 25 points, 1/3 of GU's points, that is about 3 times their average thus far, but understandable when a starter is ejected with only 14 minutes of PT.

Harris will learn from this as will the rest of the team. GU is still a threat to beat any team anywhere, imho.

hoopster777
12-05-2009, 06:14 PM
One thing I think Bouldin did poorly tonight was not give the ball to Bol when he clearly had the hot hand. They should have created more plays for Kong to get looks. Bouldin had a solid game, but except for the 1 shot Kong missed, he did not make one mistake on offense. He had a great assist to Gray underneath the hoop, and of course lit it up from the 3 point line with defenders in his face. Bouldin should have continued to find Kong on the offensive end of the floor towards the end of the game. Being a great leader requires recognizing who should be taking shots and can be depended on to make them.

Also, for all of Kong's weaknesses on the defensive end, he clearly is a fantastic offensive player. He didn't have any turnovers in the 12 minutes he played and seemed to really have his head in todays game. Really excited for him this season, I just hope he continues to improve in practice so that by the time the tournament comes, he will be an absolute force off the bench. Once he figures it out on defense, he will become the 6-man of this team. I think he has the highest ceiling of anyone on our roster, and that includes Harris.

mendiant
12-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Based on waht I saw of Mac on the bench...total ass.

How many opposing players do you see standing and heckling our free throw shooters from the bench?

His demeanor at the win was obnoxious and classless.

Wouldn't look our guys in the eye at the handshake.

That being said, apparently the ejection was warranted and I truly hope that it doesn't happen again.

I believe Elias will get over it and become more of a man than Mac ever will.

Ezag
12-05-2009, 08:24 PM
What we learned:

Bouldin's a stud! enough said!

Kelly's hustle is 110%, but has no offense and cannot rebound even with position

Gray needs to come off the bench as 6th man again, lost shooting stroke

Kong can shoot, needs to play more and to work on defense, got beat almost every time

Arop can shoot and rebound, needs to play more

Sacre needs work, very few post skills, should be better rebounder for 7 footer

Grant shows flashes in limited playing time

caduceus
12-05-2009, 09:29 PM
Manny got 9 boards (4 offensive), 9 points (one trey), 4 assists and a steal in 24 minutes.

Bol was 4-4 from the 3-pt line and scored 12 points in 12 minutes.

My take is that we are going to be scary good by tournament time if we keep this up.

We'll be fine. I agree this is a "learning opportunity" game. It's nice to see what our bench guys are capable of. Mark Few (appropriately) relied heavily on our starters in Maui and against WSU. When we have our bench guys running on full cylinders, look out.

Just my 2.

=caduceus=

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-05-2009, 09:35 PM
What we learned:

Bouldin's a stud! enough said!

Kelly's hustle is 110%, but has no offense and cannot rebound even with position

Gray needs to come off the bench as 6th man again, lost shooting stroke

Kong can shoot, needs to play more and to work on defense, got beat almost every time

Arop can shoot and rebound, needs to play more

Sacre needs work, very few post skills, should be better rebounder for 7 footer

Grant shows flashes in limited playing time

+1