PDA

View Full Version : Zags and the World Cup

zagstreak
12-04-2009, 11:08 PM
Maybe we are America's team. Interesting quote from Dan Wetzel about Gonzaga and the US chances in the World Cup. Check it out:

:link: http://g.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/world-cup/news/are-americans-changing-their-world-cup-tune--fbintl,dw-worldcup120409.html

ZagNative
12-04-2009, 11:50 PM
If nothing else, we have a chance to make a run. Not to win it, but to push deep into the knockout stages. We're the Gonzaga of this thing; and who doesn't like being Gonzaga? We can get to the Round of Eight … who knows, maybe more.

Too funny! the author of that piece also invoked the Zags' name back in '05. I quoted him on the thread, Gonzaga - special niche in the lexicon? (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=3987):

We are the Gonzaga of the World Cup, the nasty mid-major no one wants to face. The question is when do we become Duke?
Hey, Dan, you ain't seen "nasty" yet! Wait until you see this year's Zags! And don't count us out too early to win it all yet, Dan!

zagstreak
12-05-2009, 09:11 AM
That's awesome, ZagNative! Thanks for the link. It's amazing to see how the Zags have become part of the common vocabulary. Maybe we can soon define them with the word "champion".

abarefootboy
12-05-2009, 09:39 AM
i like it ... a team can ' zag it ' .... or ' coug it .'

LynetteG
12-05-2009, 09:41 AM
I love it!

BobZag
12-05-2009, 10:25 AM
I really look forward to the World Cup and the Tour de France next summer. I hope Zag's Brian Ching makes Team USA (Landon Donovan mentioned Brian as a possibility) and Wenatchee's Tyler Ferrar should be a factor in sprint stages in the Tour. Good stuff.

bballbeachbum
12-05-2009, 10:52 AM
I love it!

+1!!! Yahoo!!!!

Let's kick Wake's butt!!!

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-05-2009, 10:59 AM
i like it ... a team can ' zag it ' .... or ' coug it .'

I've been using that on all of the boards saying WSU couged it... I say they didn't.. We Zag'd it.

rijman
12-05-2009, 01:34 PM
I hope Zag's Brian Ching makes Team USA (Landon Donovan mentioned Brian as a possibility)

I didn't know Brian Ching was a Zag. With 3 kids in soccer we are USA soccer fans and Brian Ching fans. I just told my 11 year old son, our biggest soccer fan, and his response was BRIAN CHING IS A ZAG?!? Now he likes him even more.

zagstreak
12-05-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm glad Ching's a Zag, too. But speaking purely as a Sounders fan, he ripped my heart out with that goal against us in the playoffs.

At least I have my Zags--and I know they'll bounce back even after a tough loss like today.