PDA

View Full Version : Dissapointed in the kennel club

Saxon_zag
12-04-2009, 02:51 PM
http://www.cougcenter.com/2009/12/3/1184417/screw-you-classless-gonzaga-fan

Just read this article today and was talking to some people who were at the game and i have to say i don't disagree much with the article, although it is a little to general because not all gonzaga fans are that way. The whole "dee can't read" cheer happened to be the least of what dee was talking about in his post game interview. INsults on his (dead) parents and other things that just don't need to be said. I realize some of you will fall back on this "win at all costs on our home court" but that just crosses the line. This is a hometown kid that has really beat the odds and is turning in to an absolutely great player and i'm really disappointed in the K club for stuff like this being said.

It's nice to get in the opponents head with some funny stuff you can find by doing a little research but that type of stuff isn't funny no matter who it is said to (even if it's samhan). Kennel CLub, do your research and make some creative chants but don't be tasteless and classless.

Saxon_zag
12-04-2009, 02:52 PM
I didn't spell disappointed right in the title.. not sure how to edit that.

GUDan07
12-04-2009, 03:10 PM
If the stuff about his parents being dead is true, that's in bad taste. Other than that, the stuff about him not being to read is fair game. If this kid has over come as much as you're saying he has, his skin should be more than thick enough to handle that. When I was in KC I know that we yelled and chanted things way worse than what was reported about Casto. It's a D-1 sporting event and these are grown men, this is not your kid's soccer game. If you can't handle a little jeering, don't play. Better yet, get the win and that will shut everyone up. Great players feed on hostile crowds and if they can think of something to chant that gets into a player's head and effects their game, more power to the KC. Give me a break with this PC nonsense already.

Saxon_zag
12-04-2009, 03:16 PM
Clearly he can handle it. Just makes gonzaga look bad

Robzagnut
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM
"Casto can't read" is a great chant.

Can he read?

Yes. So, what's the big deal? He's in college and he's getting a good education.

These are college kids chanting to help their team win. I've heard a lot worse before and I'll hear worse in the future.

I didn't see a single Zag fan ever posting in another schools forum when Heytvelt was playing and he was taunted endlessly with "Mushrooms, Mushrooms." Everyone is fair game in college basketball. It comes with the territory. If you're overweight... Omar Sanham of St Marys, you're going to hear about it.

Casto probably would have been more pissed if they chanted "Casto can't rebound."

Heck, all the women where I work would love to chant "Bennett is cuter". This is college sports. If it was the Spokane City Council or the GU Faculty doing the chant then I could understand, but 18 and 19 year olds?

Saxon_zag
12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Like i said casto's comments about the gu student section being "terrible" didn't stem from the casto can't read chant

23dpg
12-04-2009, 03:39 PM
Hate it. I find it in poor taste and border-line racist. It is much worse, IMHO, than the silly Broke Back Mountain cheer that was done tounge-in-cheek. I don't think the player in question then had a real issue with it. This was more mean spirited.

My two cents.

jim77
12-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Sorry, I just don't see how insulting a kid is an integral part of cheering the team to victory. I though the kid played fantastic...as did the whole Cougar team. We were fortunately to come away with the "W". It needs to stop.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
This is one of the reasons America is going down the drain, along with political correctness. Can't our kids grow some thick skin? I've been on the WSU boards, and at the game. All I heard was "Casto can't read" Nothing about his parents. Why is it OK for them to talk about Heytvelt's problems? Why can Michigan State call Meech "Gary Coleman"? Can we take ANYTHING these days, folks? How big of pu**y's (excuse my language, but I really don;t know how else to put it) are we becoming? We can't even get inside opponents heads anymore? What next?

Just A Zag
12-04-2009, 03:44 PM
sigh...this again

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-04-2009, 03:47 PM
Hate it. I find it in poor taste and border-line racist. It is much worse, IMHO, than the silly Broke Back Mountain cheer that was done tounge-in-cheek. I don't think the player in question then had a real issue with it. This was more mean spirited.

My two cents.

Really? I can tell what side of the fence you vote on, that's for sure. How is this racist? Do you think Gonzaga fans would get racist, when we have a team full of different ethnicities? NO.... NO...NOO!!!! Please, enough with the racism cry. This is NO different than any other personal cheer. Personally, I'd rather be made fun of for not being able to read, knowing I can read, than being called gay.

I don't understand the Left.. I really don't.

Just A Zag
12-04-2009, 03:52 PM
This is one of the reasons America is going down the drain, along with political correctness. Can't our kids grow some thick skin? I've been on the WSU boards, and at the game. All I heard was "Casto can't read" Nothing about his parents. Why is it OK for them to talk about Heytvelt's problems? Why can Michigan State call Meech "Gary Coleman"? Can we take ANYTHING these days, folks? How big of pu**y's (excuse my language, but I really don;t know how else to put it) are we becoming? We can't even get inside opponents heads anymore? What next?

I'm on board with this. Like someone stated earlier. It's obvious the kid can read and he's doing fine with a college education. The article was written by a bitter Coug fan who needed something to call out about fans he already hates. If anything the chant was lame and not as creative as I would of hoped. But I disagree with it being "classless"

GUDan07
12-04-2009, 03:53 PM

My two cents.

I would ADORE an explanation of your logic as to how that is racist.

23dpg
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Adjective
borderline (comparative more borderline, superlative most borderline)

nearly; not clearly on one side or the other of a border or boundary, ambiguous.
He is borderline hypoglycemic and needs to monitor his sugar intake.
I would rather hire a talented layman than a university graduate with borderline qualifications.

Showing bad taste.
Your borderline remarks about my aunt's dress destroyed my evening.

Robzagnut
12-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Like i said casto's comments about the gu student section being "terrible" didn't stem from the casto can't read chant

And I was referring to the "Screw You, Classless GU Fans" article that you pointed us to.

zagsfanforlife
12-04-2009, 03:58 PM
Don't understand at all how the comment was racist or borderline racist. I think you are being more racist by even bringing up the notion, then the KC was at the game. The kid had academic problems in hs, and had trouble qualifying... that is why they cheer "Casto can't read". That comment could be used for a white player, asian player, hispanic player, any other race player who has academic issues. Im pretty sure not everyone saying that chant was white. Suggesting racism using no logical reasoning in situation that has nothing to do with racism only deters the progress we have made in terms of racial unification.

GUDan07
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Adjective
borderline (comparative more borderline, superlative most borderline)

nearly; not clearly on one side or the other of a border or boundary, ambiguous.
He is borderline hypoglycemic and needs to monitor his sugar intake.
I would rather hire a talented layman than a university graduate with borderline qualifications.

Showing bad taste.
Your borderline remarks about my aunt's dress destroyed my evening.

Thank you for the English lesson and pointing out my accidental omission of the word "borderline". You still failed to detail how that chant even approaches racism.

23dpg
12-04-2009, 04:04 PM
1. Would it have been OK if other teams chanted that at Pargo, who struggled to qualify?

2. I just thought it was mean spirited.

3. Opinions are just that.

zagsfanforlife
12-04-2009, 04:07 PM
Being mean spirited and being racist are two different things. If Will Foster or ELias Harris had trouble qualifying and they said "Will Cant Read" or "Elias Cant Read" is that borderline racism? Give me a break

lothar98zag
12-04-2009, 04:11 PM
odds this thread is locked b4 the day is over = 98%

zagsfanforlife
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
99.99%

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-04-2009, 04:16 PM
While I really hate dealing with such non-sense while trying to have an intelligent conversation about basketball, an arena is a place where just about any kind of verbal expression goes. I don't think its out of the ordinary to insult members of the other team. Either the taunts are true and you shouldn't be insulted, or the taunts are false and you shouldn't worry about it. I can imagine some hateful/ridiculous comments that would be crossing the line, but can't imagine them being picked up by the entire crowd and chanted.
These kind of sporting events serve (for 95% of the population) as a modern psychological substitute for war. The difference is nobody is getting "hurt" in the traditional sense of the word. I think there are enough "rules" already, let the kids cut loose a little.
As for racism/homophobia, I hardly believe the Kennel Club as a whole is racist. They are cheering for a team which is (give or take) half white half "other". So you can't really accuse them of systematic discrimination.
Concerning "borderline" racism, give me a f*cking break. It either is or it isn't. What? Casto can't read because he's black? Or is it that most black people can't read? Do you object to the Kennel Club drawing attention to this "fact"?
If you think this comment is, in and of itself racist, you are probably coming from a racist mindset or are indulging in some kind of self-hatred.

23dpg
12-04-2009, 04:18 PM
Probably so....about the thread shut down.

Let me rephrase.....how about a "hint of".

Spokane, Gonzaga and the student section are not very racially diversified. I think the image of a large group of mostly white students yelling at a black player..."Casto can't read".....a hint of it..... I believe the WSU author was suggesting as much.

This in no way make the students racist. I wasn't suggesting that. I think it did make us look bad.

ps. How did politics enter into this?

GUDan07
12-04-2009, 04:26 PM
1. Would it have been OK if other teams chanted that at Pargo, who struggled to qualify?

Absolutely! Pargo would have either shrugged it off or used it as fuel for a monster game. If you're not mentally tough enough to deal with taunting, I don't want you on my team.

soccerdud
12-04-2009, 04:27 PM
my personal opinion is that the chant of "casto can't read" is innocuous and doesn't deserve the sort of response it has gotten. casto clearly CAN read, is a hell of a basketball player, getting an education, and (by all accounts) is a fine young man.

any allusion to the tragedies that befell his parents, on the other hand, should get this sort of response (and more). i don't know if it happened or not, but i can't imagine someone who has overcome the adversity that he has being as shaken by chants of "can't read" as he appeared to be in the interviews... but perhaps many of us on this board are unaware of how far some may have taken it.

lastly, to make this post fit in better with the rest of the thread:

i disagree with many (most) of obama's political positions. does this make me:
A) borderline racist
B) hint-of-a-racist
C) kennel club standard faire
D) George W. Bush

please vote below.

DADoZAG
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
odds this thread is locked b4 the day is over = 98%

Let me help...

CAS-TO-CAN'T-READ is nothing, get over it. It isn't racist and I don't think anyone would have said anything about it without the other main issue of the article.

IF..., and I say "if" because I wasn't at the game and usually watch games on DVR without sound, ...if anyone in the KC made comments about deceased parents then...

...SCREW YOU, CLASSLESS GONZAGA FAN!

Seems as if there is crap everywhere a person goes in this world, and some of the crap walks around on two legs and pretends to be an intelligent being.

Go with class, ZAGS!

LynetteG
12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Saying, or even hinting, that the chant 'you can't read' is racist basically means in your book, or whomever's wrote the article, that you equate black people with the inability to read. THE KK does not chant 'you can't read' to ONLY black players who step into the arena. Black, white, yellow, red, purple, all opposing players could be subjected to taunting of varying kinds. Your suggestion was the only thing I would consider racist.

NEC26
12-04-2009, 04:34 PM
Saying, or even hinting, that the chant 'you can't read' is racist basically means in your book, or whomever's wrote the article, that you equate black people with the inability to read. THE KK does not chant 'you can't read' to EVERY black player who steps into the arena. Black, white, yellow, red, purple, all opposing players could be subjected to taunting of varying kinds. Your suggestion was far more racist than anything I've seen yet.

+1 You hit the nail on the head.