PDA

View Full Version : DIRECTV on DEMAND

Birddog
12-04-2009, 07:16 AM
Not sure if this is the appropriate forum, but none of the others looked correct either.
Do any forumites have this service? Does it enable you to get Zag Games on line for instance? are they archived? I already have ESPN360, so this may not be beneficial. How difficult is it to set up, it looks enticing. Any personal or anecdotal info appreciated.

bballbeachbum
12-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Birddog, I don't know if it's called on Demand (it might be), but DirectTV has a sports package which allows viewing of all regional Fox Sports channels, like FSNW (FoxSportsNorthWest), on which it seems almost every GU game is aired that isn't aired on some other network, like espn. I love it, but am afraid to say every game is available because I remember watching JustinTV last year because I couldn't find the game on elsewhere... as accurate as I can recall

hope that helps

edited to add: watched JustivTV twice last year I think...very unscientific, but I saw every game last year except the Portland St. game, which was on FSNW, so the coverage with DirectTV package is pretty good

Birddog
12-04-2009, 07:56 AM
I've been a subscriber for years and have the Sports Pkg. I just upgraded to DVR and they offer for free the DIRECTV on DEMAND service. Just want to know if it's that big a problem to hook up and if it is worth it. It will probably make the SO very happy, so perhaps part of my question is answered.

sullyzag66
12-04-2009, 08:00 AM
I use DirecTV on Demand to download movies and TV series episodes from Showtime, Discovery Channel and the like, but I've never seen basketball games to download. But, then, I've never looked for them, either. I did see something pop up once about ordering an already-played NFL game for $5.99 on Demand. I'll check the on Demand menu when I get home, but I'd be surprised to find a basketball game listed. ESPN might have on demand service, but I doubt FSNW.

sullyzag66
12-04-2009, 08:07 AM
I've been a subscriber for years and have the Sports Pkg. I just upgraded to DVR and they offer for free the DIRECTV on DEMAND service. Just want to know if it's that big a problem to hook up and if it is worth it. It will probably make the SO very happy, so perhaps part of my question is answered.
It's pretty easy to set up. You just need to plug an ethernet cable from your internet connection and you're good to go. I use a cable from a router, but there is an option for wireless connection. It requires some other equipment, which is available for purchase. The DirecTV web page has good instruction on this. On Demand has a lot of programming one can download for free, as well as movies for purchase.

outrunu
12-04-2009, 09:44 AM
It's pretty easy to set up. You just need to plug an ethernet cable from your internet connection and you're good to go. I use a cable from a router, but there is an option for wireless connection. It requires some other equipment, which is available for purchase. The DirecTV web page has good instruction on this. On Demand has a lot of programming one can download for free, as well as movies for purchase.

I just had Dtv installed last month... The on demand service is free, the equipment is not. $60 for the equipment. Like sully said, it's not like cable's on demand where you just watch it. You have to download it. I don't recall there being an on demand option for FSNW, so I don't think it would help your Zag watching any more than a DVR would.

Birddog
12-04-2009, 10:00 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, all I have to do is run an ethernet cable (CAT5?) from my modem/router to the DVR, which will be a PIA. Is that about right? Or I could spend the money on a wireless device from DirecTV to receive a signal from my modem/router to the DVR? Am I missing something?

outrunu
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
So, if I understand this correctly, all I have to do is run an ethernet cable (CAT5?) from my modem/router to the DVR, which will be a PIA. Is that about right? Or I could spend the money on a wireless device from DirecTV to receive a signal from my modem/router to the DVR? Am I missing something?

No. They installed 2 powerstrips, and plug the ethernet into one of them. Another little box of some kind was installed in line. A CAT5 cannot be ran directly to the box for OnDemand to work. The bandwith is somehow sent between the 2 powerstrips...if that makes any kind of sense.

229SintoZag
12-04-2009, 10:50 AM
I have this. My modem and wireless router for my high speed internet is in an upstairs bedroom, and my DVR set up with my good TV (i,e., hi-def plasma) is downstairs.

Solution is to get a set of two doohickies that you plug into outlets in your home to basically hijack your electrical wiring as a the transmission from your router to your DVR.

You plug the ethernet cable from your router into an outlet nearby, and do the same for your DVR. Presto--you are "online" without having to do anything wireless, and the speeds and reliability are a little better.

There is a ton of content free. You can get all of the on demand movies as well as a ton of others for various prices.

I have never had to look to see if you can get a Gonzaga game, or any sports for that matter, as I have my DVR set to record anything with the word "Gonzaga" in it. However, they may be there.

While it is true that you have to download the content, it is also true that within about a minute of starting, I can watch a HD movie as if it were streaming. But then again I have comcast's mid level high speed internet service, which I think has download speeds of something like up to 16 mbps.

All in all I like it--it gives me more flexibility to watch any movie I might purchase when I want rather than on the staggered schedule you see in channels 100-200 for pay per view movies. It also has literally thousands of programs in its menus that you can select.

sullyzag66
12-04-2009, 11:47 AM
No. They installed 2 powerstrips, and plug the ethernet into one of them. Another little box of some kind was installed in line. A CAT5 cannot be ran directly to the box for OnDemand to work. The bandwith is somehow sent between the 2 powerstrips...if that makes any kind of sense.
I run an ethernet cable, which I think is CAT5, directly from my router into my DirecTV HD receiver, HR21, and it works just fine. If I weren't able to run a cable directly, I would go with the other set-up.

It doesn't take that long to download and I have a DSL internet connection. And, as 229SintoZag said, you shouldn't have to wait that long to start watching. I've also found some programs that took me directly to the program instead of downloading it.

outrunu
12-04-2009, 11:50 AM
I run an ethernet cable, which I think is CAT5, directly from my router into my DirecTV HD receiver, HR21, and it works just fine. If I weren't able to run a cable directly, I would go with the other set-up.

It doesn't take that long to download and I have a DSL internet connection. And, as 229SintoZag said, you shouldn't have to wait that long to start watching. I've also found some programs that took me directly to the program instead of downloading it.

I wasn't offered that option at all. :(

sullyzag66
12-04-2009, 12:28 PM
I wasn't offered that option at all. :(
That's why I try to keep the installers as far away as possible from my set-up.

Birddog
12-04-2009, 04:30 PM
Great idea Sinto, that saves me some trouble as I have a similar situation but on one story.

Outrunu, that info was on-line and at the DirecTV info channel. Your installer just did a little up-selling on ya. My SO called DirecTV and they tried to sell her too, but she waited to ask me about it thankfully.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-04-2009, 04:53 PM
I JUST got my H23 DVRHD receiver to replace my old H20 HD receiver. Directv on Demand is not as good as comcast, IMO. Also, you have to download it to your hard drive to watch it.. No FSN or even NBC channels on demand, so unfortunately, no Zags. :-(. I also had a Ethernet cord running from my receiver to my router, and it works great!

Just a little hint to Directv customers.. DON'T PAY FOR EQUIPMENT! mention to them how you can get a free dvr hd upgrade from comcast, and that they charge less too. You'll likely have to go through a few people, but just keep asking to get to a supervisor. What I did, was I went to cancellations, and after a lot of negotiating, I got a 200 dollar HD DVR receiver for free, AND free movie channels... Just let them know Comcast has a better deal with free equipment and they'll cave in.. Let them know you don't want to pay for it!

outrunu
12-04-2009, 04:54 PM
Great idea Sinto, that saves me some trouble as I have a similar situation but on one story.

Outrunu, that info was on-line and at the DirecTV info channel. Your installer just did a little up-selling on ya. My SO called DirecTV and they tried to sell her too, but she waited to ask me about it thankfully.

Well I ordered online, and I was led to believe that I needed that. My router is closer to my tv than their silly strips. And I've got an HR-20 reciever, which has no ethernet port, so that apparently is what happened to me.

Birddog
12-04-2009, 05:13 PM
My initial check into the cost of Sinto style doohickies is more expensive than DirecTV's stuff. I can hard wire it cheaper than that, but I don't have the time just now.

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-04-2009, 06:02 PM
Well I ordered online, and I was led to believe that I needed that. My router is closer to my tv than their silly strips. And I've got an HR-20 reciever, which has no ethernet port, so that apparently is what happened to me.

Call them and demand that they give you their new HD DVR receiver. Trust me, it works, and it will be WELL worth it.

229SintoZag
12-04-2009, 06:41 PM
My initial check into the cost of Sinto style doohickies is more expensive than DirecTV's stuff. I can hard wire it cheaper than that, but I don't have the time just now.

I got mone from directv actually. Push them to send them for free. There is no reason to pay foe them. Directv has an incentive to get customers onto this service so they can charge for some of the content. Stick to your guns and I bet you get the doohickies free like I did--plus six months of free showtime or something if you're a loyal six year customer like I am.

sullyzag66
12-04-2009, 06:50 PM
The HR-20 does have an ethernet port; can't connect to the internet otherwise. I have the HR-20 and have my ethernet cable running directly from my router to the DVR. If you use the Over the Air (OTA) input on the HR-20, keep it. The newer models do not have OTA connections; you have to buy another piece of equipment (about $20, I think) to get OTA.

outrunu
12-04-2009, 06:55 PM
The HR-20 does have an ethernet port; can't connect to the internet otherwise.
You are correct...I miss looked.