PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga vs Wake Forest game predictions

Reborn
12-04-2009, 05:31 AM
Gonzaga 73
Wake 65

Another great game in the Kennel2. Another chance for a heavyweight fight. The fans have been waiting for a quality team like Wake Forest to visit McCarthy, and they will not be disappointed. It's a tough, hard fought victory for the Zags.

THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME!!!

stevet75
12-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Wake is fresh and has talent and backs our guys in a corner for the first half, but our guys will not give in and eventually prevail 73 - 70, maybe in OT

Kiddwell
12-04-2009, 08:21 AM
Kiddwell is worried about this game. If the Zags come out strong (picture: Wisconsin), we're OK. Just please, pleeeease don't fall behind these guys by 15. :(

Waking-Up Early: 73
Wake Forest: 68

:]

titopoet
12-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Aminu tries to do too much in response to the recent losses and Harris takes advantage. Sacre more than holds his own, while the guards expose Wake's inexperience and abuse them. Meech, Gray and Bouldin go off, and GU gets their first impressive blowout of the season.

GU 81
Wake 67

LongIslandZagFan
12-04-2009, 08:42 AM
Zags are doomed.

Baldwinzag
12-04-2009, 08:55 AM
I have a feeling Wake is much more talented than we realize. Their entire roster comprises of 4 & 5 star recruits and even two Gatorade POY's. WF's recruiting classes are consistently in ranked in the Top-10 and their '08 class was Top-5. I know recruiting rankings are very subjective and much of this "potential" is just that and has yet to be realized. However, they are a team that is capable of beating any team in the nation at anytime. Wake shows glimpses of brilliance and very talented bball, and other times, they play unorganized, ugly bball. I'm not sure which WFU team will show up on Saturday and hope the Zags are up for the defensive challenge, esp our bigs. I hope the Zags play more zone this game b/c Wake Forest is a poor shooting team. CJ Harris is their only 3pt threat and he has had limited looks. It will be tough for Sacre and Harris to limit fouls in this game b/c Aminu knows how to draw them on rebounds and shots. We can expect one of our bigs will be sitting more than usual, unless we play Foster in this one. Wake is also one of the better offensive rebounding teams in the country. I could go on and on how this will be a real challenge for us...

Long story, short: Zag bigs get in foul trouble early and their guards are quick, fast, athletic enough to take advantage of Gray/Bouldin playing 40 mins a game.

WFU: 75
Zags: 70

ZagManFan
12-04-2009, 09:00 AM
Well I said I was more worried about WSU than Wake and I stick by that.

Zags 77
Wake 68

zag buddy
12-04-2009, 09:06 AM
the first half is a disaster wake 50 zags 0. second half zags score 51 Wake 0. We win 51 to 50.

primal23
12-04-2009, 09:22 AM
Well, kinda going with what seems to be a pattern as of late....

GU 75
Wake 70

GU again trails big at half, comes back late, lead extended through FT's, another bout of the Cardiac Kids ><

Zag4Hire
12-04-2009, 10:02 AM
GONZAGA 86.00
Wake Forest 81.27
(Home Differential) 2.00
------------------------

Spread will probably fall in between that range..I was originally guessing -8.5 but it might come out right around Jeff's ratings (-6.5 or -7).

Quick Hits:

* Wake Forest can't hit its FTs: On the season, 63.6% and vs Purdue, 10 of 19.
* They can rebound quite well and have quite the bodies to do it. If GU can limit the 2nd chance points (hopefully a lot better than they did against WSU), GU should be able to pull away.
* Wow, 25 turnovers vs Purdue! If GU doesn't turn it over like against WSU, another factor lending to sizeable lead.

I think even if comes down to a close game with under 4 minutes, you put the Deeks at the charity stripe, similar to what happened in Maui vs Cincy. I like GU here at -7, maybe up to -8.5.

GONZAGA 77 Wake 69

krozman
12-04-2009, 10:56 AM
I feel sorry for wake, because honestly after the WSU game the only thing hotter than their shots will be their butts, from the kicking Mr. Few gave the team for all the sloppy play the game before. I say this team comes out with a purpose, takes an early lead and doesn't let it go.

83 GU
71 WF

lothar98zag
12-04-2009, 11:10 AM
http://www.themovieshop.com/prodimages/medium/prodimage-8260.jpg

OZZY
12-04-2009, 02:44 PM
The starters play well, but the Zags bench also plays a big part in this game providing hussle, steals and the extra fouls needed to cause WF headaches. KO fouls out, but not before making some big plays. We also start making more threes from someone other than Matty.

Zags 85
Wake Forest 77

CaliforniaZaggin'
12-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Tight game most of the way. Wake Forest's athleticism proves to be tough contain, but the Zags' sharp shooting leads them to victory.

Zags 80
Wake 76

NotoriousZ
12-04-2009, 02:55 PM
http://www.themovieshop.com/prodimages/medium/prodimage-8260.jpg

Nice find, Lothar. I swear I'm going to get a giant Mr.T poster some day that says "I pitty the fool!"

Oh, and Zags win 82-60.

SWXGuy
12-04-2009, 03:36 PM
SWXRightNow.com is doing a live blog/chat (http://www.swxrightnow.com/Global/story.asp?S=11609287) during Saturday's GU-Wake Forest game.

NovaZag
12-04-2009, 06:27 PM
It's a long flight from Winston-Salem to Spokane. Too long for Wake. Zags win 75-67.

bartruff1
12-04-2009, 06:36 PM
I have home and home bet with a WF alum...he sez we will win easy here ...But...I am not so sure...tell me if the first half Gonzaga team will show up or the second half team.....the wins are exciting....but I would just as soon see a early comfortable lead just for my blood pressure.... the good news is it will be fun to go back there and see the game next year where when we win I will storm the court.....maybe Gonzaga 77-71...got to make the free throws..

ID ZAGFAN
12-04-2009, 06:52 PM
.the wins are exciting....but I would just as soon see a early comfortable lead just for my blood pressure....

Ab-so-freakin-lute-ly!:D

ID AGFAN

MickMick
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Zags MO against good teams:

Big early lead.....they lose
Big early deficit....they come back

How about a complete game for once?

Sigh......Zags come back.

Harris "wills" another victory.

Reborn
12-04-2009, 07:53 PM
I've got a really good feeing about the game tomorrow. I've been a little influenced by the fear of Wake Foest. I think we have our best game of the year tomorrow, and win going away 82-69. K2 will set new record for noise and craziness. Fans in Zagville will be celebrating tomorrow night. It's a good thing it's going to be Saturday night.:)

I think we're going to play a game like we did against Wisconsin, where everyone plays well and we stay ahead the whole game. I love these Zags!!! They're awesome!!!

jim77
12-04-2009, 08:11 PM
The Zags 2nd half heroics runs out....Wake 82 GU 75.....Or as Bob would say: "We're doomed".

ZagsGoZags
12-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Wake Forest 69
Gu 66

Nevtelen
12-05-2009, 12:06 AM
I seriously doubt WF has another 25 TO game. I also don't think we have anyone who can stop Aminu. That's going to be a big big problem. I also don't think that Harris will be as effective on the boards as WF is longer and as athletic overall. Sacre needs to have learned from his experience vs WSU with respect to double-teams. The rest of the team needs to have learned about how to deal with long-armed defenders that clog up the passing lanes. WF is longer and more athletic than WSU by a good margin. You also know for sure after the WSU game that they're going to just clog up the middle and make us beat them from outside. I predict that neither team will shoot particularly well.

IF we can make our FTs
IF Sacre does better vs the double-team
IF the passing looks a lot better than Wed
IF we hit our 3s
IF we only have 10-12 TOs
IF we find some way to slow Aminu down

THEN Zags by 7, 76-69

Not doing any of those things probably means that WF wins the game, maybe by double-digits. We're not going to come back from 15 down in this one. If the Zags are down double-digits in the 2nd half, it's probably over.

kitzbuel
12-05-2009, 03:22 AM
The staff also learned from the WSU game that Olynyk can servicably play at the 5 and can change the line up enough to throw off defensive game plans.

Zags are going to be just effective enough from the perimeter to slowdown WF double teams on Sacre and keep the paint open.

Zags win by 8 in a pretty comfortable game.

Reborn
12-05-2009, 04:26 AM
IF we can make our FTs
IF Sacre does better vs the double-team
IF the passing looks a lot better than Wed
IF we hit our 3s
IF we only have 10-12 TOs
IF we find some way to slow Aminu down

Not doing any of those things probably means that WF wins the game, maybe by double-digits. We're not going to come back from 15 down in this one. If the Zags are down double-digits in the 2nd half, it's probably over.

You either think Wake Forest is a top 10 team or you just don't think the Zags should be in the top 20. I sense that you have some serious doubts about the Zags. Where does that come from? I think they've done really well so far. I don't see where Wake Forest has proved they're that much better than Gonzaga that they can come into K2 and steal a victory. Gonzaga will be up for this game and they will be ready.

RenoZag
12-05-2009, 05:45 AM
Zags are doomed.

What he said. . .

;)

I think we're in for another nail biter. Zags will need all of the emotion the crowd and the KK in particular can muster for this one.

Zags by a bucket. In OT.

kyle dixon
12-05-2009, 06:02 AM
The Zags need to win this game. Zag Addict and I have both mentioned that the old fire truck engine from David's Pizza hasn't been fired up and ran down the Logan neighborhood in a while after a big win. Could this be the night? :p

SunDevilGolfZag
12-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Big Will scores in double figures and the Zags overcome foul trouble to win on Kong's three-pointer at the buzzer in triple O.T. The game following ours on ESPN2 isn't shown until 3 minutes are gone in the second half :p

Baldwinzag
12-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I also don't think we have anyone who can stop Aminu. That's going to be a big big problem.

IF we find some way to slow Aminu down.

I couldn't agree more. Aminu is going to be a big problem for the Zags--literally. Matt Bouldin went out of his way to mention how good Aminu is by stating, "He's a beast, we'll definitely have our hands full". Many don't seem worried about Aminu b/c they believe he exclusively plays PF and Harris will match up with him in the paint just fine. First, Aminu plays both forward positions and primarily sets up as a super-athletic combo-forward on the offensive end and guards the opposing PF on the defensive end. He's also a terrific rebounder who averages a double-double on the season(11+ rebs per, I believe). If he plays SF, who guards him? Matt Bouldin? He'll post up on him all day. Elias Harris? Well, I think Elias will do just fine in paint, but if he's forced on the perimeter he'll rack up fouls quickly. Steven Gray doesn't have the weight. I'm just unsure about this mis-match. It seems like the game he could go off for 30 pts against us. I'm confident Coach Few and Co. will have a gameplan to stop him and I have a feeling we'll play more zone than we have all season long. Wake is a poor shooting team overall and it'd allow help defense on Aminu.

Aminu has a huge night, Bouldin/Gray start feeling affects of 40mins per game, and our bigs get in foul trouble guarding players their own size for the first time all year. Offensive rebounding and easy put-backs will be the difference and Wake pulls it out in K2 this time.

Sticking to my guns:

Wake: 75
Zags: 70

Nevtelen
12-05-2009, 08:45 AM
You either think Wake Forest is a top 10 team or you just don't think the Zags should be in the top 20. I sense that you have some serious doubts about the Zags. Where does that come from? I think they've done really well so far. I don't see where Wake Forest has proved they're that much better than Gonzaga that they can come into K2 and steal a victory. Gonzaga will be up for this game and they will be ready.

I think that Wake has a combo of size and athleticism that GU hasn't really seen this year. In many ways, they present a similar problem to Memphis teams of the past and we all know how GU has done against them. Ranked or not doesn't interest me. I think most of the individual match-ups favor Wake in this game. Now, GU has perhaps shown they're a better TEAM, but if Wake can put together a better performance as a team, I don't think we will win. The reason they lost to Purdue was FTs and TOs. Without those problems, they would have won IMO. At Purdue. They could also win at K2 if they can mitigate those problems because with their size and athleticism. GU could also win, but I think we'll have to really play well. No slow starts like vs WSU or Colorado, no getting taken out of the game like vs Cincy.

zaguarxj
12-05-2009, 08:46 AM
Wake comes in to Spokane reeling from losses to Purdue on the road and powerhouse William and Mary at home. Tired from a cross country flight, they walk out into the 20F Spokane chill and never warm back up. Zags finally put together 30 minutes of good basketball and run out to a 30 point lead. The regulars are taken out with 8:47 left in the game. Bol Kong scores 23 points in the final 8:47 and the Zags win 92-59.

gamagin
12-05-2009, 08:49 AM
Go TEAM Zags !

ronh_pm
12-05-2009, 10:17 AM
I'm just hopefull that the coaches have the proper game plan to start the game, not end it. Reaching into the bag of tricks to find a dozen or more catchup points is running thin and against Wake Forest the bag may just be empty.

On the court, Harris and Sacre staying out of foul trouble, turnovers and a productive bench contibution (POINTS!!) are the keys for me.

LynetteG
12-05-2009, 10:27 AM
It's a long flight from Winston-Salem to Spokane. Too long for Wake. Zags win 75-67.

also, if they fly commercial they have to layover somewhere... it's a bi$ch to fly back to the east coast, let me tell you.

jim77
12-05-2009, 10:51 AM
If there was ever a game where we need BIG WILL, its this game. We will need him to defend the rim and we need him to NOT get any unproductive fouls. I just have this feeling he's gonna be the difference in this one as Rob is gonna have his hands full with the Wake size. We also need our 3's to fall to spread their defense....and despite Wake's size we need to take it to the rim to draw fouls. A loud kennel club (minus personal insults) could well be the difference....its the noise that REALLY rattles teams, not the insults. GO ZAGS

TheMorrisonIsBack
12-05-2009, 11:00 AM
I'm just hopefull that the coaches have the proper game plan to start the game, not end it. Reaching into the bag of tricks to find a dozen or more catchup points is running thin and against Wake Forest the bag may just be empty.

On the court, Harris and Sacre staying out of foul trouble, turnovers and a productive bench contibution (POINTS!!) are the keys for me.

+1

DixieZag
12-05-2009, 11:14 AM
The three hour layover in Minneapolis hurts them.

Our Demon Deacon friend told us that all we had to do was sag into a zone and we would win relatively easily. I am skeptical.

My little brother, an SCU grad and notorious GU skeptic has been breathless this year after watching every game (including MSU) saying "They are so tough and so good" - - I think this means that Gonzaga is better than even we think. Not to toot my own horn but I prediced the zags by six over WSU in a war.

I think we win this one similar to the Wisconsin game, come out with a good game plan, calm and control, and impose our will and steadily stay out of reach and win by 9. But I also agree with the prevailing wisdom that if we do fall behind by much of a margin in the second half there will be no heroics in the last 5 minutes, OUR guys are still too emotionally drained to do that.

shannazag
12-05-2009, 12:11 PM
Well I said I was more worried about WSU than Wake and I stick by that.

Zags 77
Wake 68

Let's see how close you are.

shannazag
12-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I hope it doesn't come down to the end again. I hope they are on top of there game from the get go. I say Zags 80 Wake 76

Wakefan77
12-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Hey everyone here's hoping to a good game today. I think alot of Wake fans are not feeling very confident in this game today so I'm predicting a 83-70 win for the Zags. Al Farouq has not been very good the last 2 games so he is due for one (hopefully today). As has been stated Wake is not a good shooting team with only a handfull of decent shooters. Our pg Smith is lightning fast and you better not turn your back or he will be laying it in but he cannot shoot very well esp. from the line. Wake is very athletic and big but I think by far our biggest concern right now is the offense. Other than fast break points and some one on one moves our offense isn't very organized right now. Wake blocked a ton of shots against Purdue so the our length is one of our great assets. I cannot say how excited I am for Wake to be playing against Gonzaga as it seems not too many ACC teams will venture out your way to play you guys and I look forward to seeing you guys back in Winston next year. Good luck.

Btw, what is the perception around your way about playing Wake Forest and Wake coming out there?

zagzilla
12-05-2009, 01:00 PM
Zags have faced tougher competition and have been in more pressure situations. WF has played nobody but Purdue who boat raced them. This is is a big edge combined with a huge home court advantage.

AA is a mismatch for them but we are a good zone team when we have to be. They will not handle EH who is getting better every game.

Both teams will want to run and our transition defense will be tested. We will see more of Arop and Kong sincce they are long and fast.

I think Wake in the dance after they get some seasoning could be a different story but today we win a close hard fought game 71-64

Go Zags!

ZZ

zagzilla
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
Welcome Wakefan.

Zag fans have huge respect for WF coming out to play us in a true home and home series. We have done very well against the ACC historically but usually we only see those teams in their buildings or in some preseason tournament.

Should be a great game

Go Zags

DixieZag
12-05-2009, 01:04 PM
We instantly respect any program that is willing to play us home and home, we continue to get dodged by too many BCS conf. schools and that has been a sore spot, though it is getting better, see e.g. Michigan State, Oklahoma. We have a yearly friendly game against Memphis based upon mutual respect. And, part of our white hot hatred of the Univ. of Washington is they dropped playing us home and home after getting tired of getting their ""s kicked 9 out of 10 times.

Therefore, you are part of the "family" and a team that this board will follow and respect, this year and next, and we will have your back in any game that we aren't playing you. Especially against UNC.

Here is to a great game.