PDA

View Full Version : Too early to talk Duke...

Baldwinzag
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
However, considering Wisconsin just beat #5 Puke, I visited their message board to lend my congrats and ask them how the Zags could do the same...

Here are a few snippets from the Badger message board:

I'd say a key would be to get the ball in down low. That really opened it up for us being able to get the ball into the post as their bigs aren't very good. Also have your best defender tail Singler and never be more then 2 feet away from him. Was amazing how he couldn't take over when we did ths.

Turnovers (less) and good defense wins, unless like the zags game you get some blind whisle happy refs and you have your best players sitting on the bench taking notes

I think Gonzaga will give Duke a game, if not win in a few weeks because they will pound Duke inside. They have no inside presence.

I thought UW would be a good match for Duke as Duke is a perimeter oriented team and UW defends the 3 ball well. At this point UW struggled with Arizona's big men and Gonzaga's big men. I think the Zags will beat Duke is they pound the ball inside and defend the 3 ball. Also have a quick guard on Scheyer helps. Hughes defended Scheyer and that helped prevent Dukes offense from running with much fluidity.

If your Zags give a lot of wide open looks beyond the arc, hope that Dawkins doesn't take advantage of that, that kid can shoot the lights out! Kept them in the game and me stressed out until the buzzer sounded!

Body up Singler and Scheyer with stronger, quicker athletes who don't reach and play straight up man-to-man on them. Your bigs are better than theirs.

Sag off their big men. Be there to help off singler. Getting a body on Singler was the key. When no one leaned on him, he ruled the court. Once Taylor and Evans bodied him, he was mortal. Watch out for Dawkins on the perimeter!

More to add later...

kylasdad
12-03-2009, 03:56 PM
I thought UW would be a good match for Duke as Duke is a perimeter oriented team and UW defends the 3 ball well. At this point UW struggled with Arizona's big men and Gonzaga's big men. I think the Zags will beat Duke is they pound the ball inside and defend the 3 ball. Also have a quick guard on Scheyer helps. Hughes defended Scheyer and that helped prevent Dukes offense from running with much fluidity.

Even if the teams looked and played identically, Coach K's coaching would give Duke a double digit win over Romar and the chickens. Duke beats the over-rated UW(imps) 9 out of 10 times.

asoc
12-03-2009, 03:59 PM
UW=University of Wisconsin in that post

WallaWallaZag
12-03-2009, 04:01 PM
Even if the teams looked and played identically, Coach K's coaching would give Duke a double digit win over Romar and the chickens. Duke beats the over-rated UW(imps) 9 out of 10 times.

UW in this case is referring to University of Wisconsin...not the chickens.

oops...asoc got there first.

thespywhozaggedme
12-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Their strength is shooting the "3". Our weakness is defending the "3".

Their weakness is their bigs. Our strength is our bigs. Should be an interesting matchup.

kylasdad
12-03-2009, 04:24 PM
oops...oh well its fun picking on the chickens

hoopster777
12-03-2009, 06:40 PM
They also are a sensational free throw shooting team, so if the refs dominate the contest, we had better not miss those easy ones.

RenoZag
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
MSG = Cameron North. Of course the zebras will give them an edge. Coach K always gets his way, that weasel. . .

JPtheBeasta
12-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm more worried about the Zags offense than I am about defending Duke. It's hard to imagine Duke (and Wake Forest) *not* doubling the post unless they show that they can handle it. I hope Sacre and company get this figured out in a hurry because that defensive game plan has disrupted the Zags significantly in a couple of games already this year.

(Armchair coaching alert!!!) It seems like the ball needs to come out of the double team quicker and swung to the weak side ASAP either for an open 3/dribble drive out of the corner or a dump off to the opposite post. The pass definitely moves faster than the D can rotate/recover and there didn't seem to be enough exploitation of that. I don't know if it was Sacre holding the ball too long or his buddies not giving him an avenue to get the ball out, but something wasn't working because it resulted in a lot of turnovers.