PDA

View Full Version : Draft Express Player Breakdown: Elias Harris

Zag4Hire
12-03-2009, 10:49 AM
A great breakdown by Matt Kamalsky which includes past GU opponents like Klay Thompson, Yancy Gates, and Scotty Hopson (It is unfortunate we are not playing the 'Halos' this year --the Vols always give me heartburn and I feel a great sense of accomplishment when the Zags beat them).

Some nuggets on Harris:

From a physical standpoint, Harris certainly looks the part of an NBA small forward or combo forward, having great size and good length with a very strong frame, and possessing very good athleticism to go along with it.

Harris provides more intrigue with his face-up game, something that was on display in all three games in Maui, where he showed dribble drive moves from all areas of the court, showing off his impressive coordination and footwork.

Another strong point of Harris’ game is his high motor and basketball IQ, as he makes a lot of hustles plays in the game and usually doesn’t settle for many low-percentage shots.

My favorite part of the analysis:

Harris’ jump shot is still a work in progress, though he has the foundation of good shooting form in place, and he’s had flashes of success in his few games thus far. One thing that stands out with Harris’ shot is how few jumpers he takes in rhythm, as he rarely readies himself for the catch-and-shoot when the ball is coming to him. He often hesitates with the ball for a good second or so before putting the ball up, and he often looks a bit mechanical in his motions. Other than that, he shows occasional problems with not getting full extension on all his releases. That said, he does have a high release point and the rest of his motion is pretty consistent, so this is an area he should improve on if he puts in the work, and will surely be a very important factor in whether or not he’s able to make the conversion to playing on the wing full time.

Here's the link. Worth a read: http://www.draftexpress.com/article/NCAA-Weekly-Performers-12309-3351/

JohnOGU
12-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I really, really, REALLY don't want Elias to leave early...

gozagswoohoo
12-03-2009, 11:11 AM

+1

hockeyzag
12-03-2009, 11:27 AM
I think if he does leave early, it won't be until the summer before his senior year at the earliest.
Right now he's a really good 6'7" college power forward, but NBA teams want taller PF's. For someone of that size to make it to the NBA, they need to show their ability to play the small forward spot. Hopefully Harris won't be stuck playing PF the rest of his time at Gonzaga and he can develop the skills of a small forward a little more. I think a lot of them are already there, but as the article states, he could use a little work on his shooting and dribbling. Harris is already a great player but has a lot to work on before he gets to the NBA.

If we can develop someone currently on the team into a good power forward (Sam Dower maybe?) then I'd love to see this lineup next year:

Meech
Steven
Elias
Sam or Kelly
Big Rob

That lineup would rebound the heck out of the ball.

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 12:33 PM
If a 108 pound PF/SF can be drafted mid 1st round after 2yrs @ GU, why not EH?

IMHO, anything more than 2 yrs w/ Harris is a bonus.

Then again, 5 yrs ago if someone had told me JH was going to be a 5 yr player for GU & not get drafted I would have laughed in their face....