PDA

View Full Version : Chant to deangelo casto

stombari
12-03-2009, 08:46 AM
Does anyone know what the Kennel was chanting to deangelo last night at the game?

ZagHouse
12-03-2009, 08:56 AM
Probably the only low point from the Kennel Club. "Casto can't read." Granted, he did have some difficulty in high school, but I chalk that up to more of a family thing than an academic problem. He was a beast last night, and if not for a tremendous 2nd half by Elias, he was the best big on the floor.

JPtheBeasta
12-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Probably the only low point from the Kennel Club. "Casto can't read." Granted, he did have some difficulty in high school, but I chalk that up to more of a family thing than an academic problem. He was a beast last night, and if not for a tremendous 2nd half by Elias, he was the best big on the floor.

He can ball, though.

gamagin
12-03-2009, 09:05 AM
I love this Casto kid. I wish he had gone to GU. He's a gamer. But his life story is right out of modern day version of Oliver Twist. He is a survivor and hopefully he will thrive as well.

So to say something like that when he's doing way more than anyone expected on and off the court is just really, really poor taste and downright mean spirited, imo.

Clever and funny yes. Mean and mean spirited, no. Know the difference.

that said the KC put in as fine a performance overall last night as I've ever seen and heard.

Go TEAM Zags & GO KC ! ! !

GUDan07
12-03-2009, 09:05 AM
Apparently he has something in common with the rest of his WSU peers.

BobZag
12-03-2009, 09:06 AM
That chant was lame and small.

Ezag
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
Casto is a baller, but thank God Elias came to life and put him in his place

MDABE80
12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Sometimes poor taste goes beyond "poor taste". Cruel, stupid and personally mean chants and comments do not help the players at GU, do not secure a win and should be banned. How would any of us feel is we had major reading or other deficiencies that were lampooned in front of 6000 people....

This team we have and our University and the alums and fans are only put in a terrible light when this crap happens. It's simply inappropriate and must be stopped. How much damage does this do to us? HUGE...but it's not the dame that is key...It's one of those things that just isn't right.

7ICoug
12-03-2009, 09:57 AM

WCC Men's Basketball All-Academic Team 2009

Name School Class Position GPA Major
Gus Clardy Pepperdine So. F 3.69 History
Ben Dowdell Santa Clara So. F 3.12 Mech. Engineering
Devin Ginty San Diego So. G 3.31 Undeclared
Christian Hernandez San Francisco Jr. G 3.76 Finance

Josh Heyvelt Gonzaga Sr. F 3.50 Graduate - Organzational Leadership

Chris Kanne Loyola Marymount Sr. G 3.35 Graduate - Business Law
Kramer Knutson Portland So. F/C 3.55 Undeclared
Ethan Niedermeyer Portland Jr. F 3.13 Enviromental Ethics and Policy
Michael Santos Santa Clara So. G 3.39 Business
Robin Smeulders Portland Jr. F 3.25 Marketing and Management

PAC-10 First Team, Year, GPA, Major 2009 All-Academic

Aron Baynes, WSU, Sr., 3.24, Movement Studies
Derek Glasser, ASU, Jr., 3.14, Communications
Daven Harmeling, WSU, Sr., 3.54, Health and Fitness Education
Nikola Koprivica, WSU, Jr., 3.39, International Business
Taylor Rochestie, WSU, Sr., 3.37, Communication

Next time you get more than one player in the All-Academic list for the WCC then you can hoot about the ability to read:D

Colbyspapa
12-03-2009, 10:07 AM
I agree.

That post is out of line especially directed at a school and a program that not only agrees to play us, plays a home and home, is civil and we share a fan base.

Now if you want to direct it at UW....

Postplayer57
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM
Correct. I'm a Zag lover but also pull for the Cougars when they're not playing us.The chant was in extremely poor taste, hopefully not to be repeated. Should have chanted ; "you should have been a BullPup!,not a Saxon!"

gamagin
12-03-2009, 10:14 AM

Next time you get more than one player in the All-Academic list for the WCC then you can hoot about the ability to read:D

I know enough Cougs and fans to know they love their school and teams as much as we love ours.

And I respect them, their world class school (go take a look sometime) and their efforts, too. They face many obstacles just like we do, too, so the facts are we have more in common than we have to fight over. And we should celebrate these things, imo.

Except when competing against each other.

Go TEAM Zags !

vandalzag
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM

Wow way to show your class. What is next racial slurs.

The irony out of this is if you talk to Casto you would find him to be nice guy who is well spoken and somebody who has shown a lot of growth in the last couple of years.

Crusader Rick
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
It was a very embarrassing display. I had hoped the KC would be better than that, but unfortunately they are like so many other student sections in the nation, and often worse. I'm not trying to come across as holier than thou, as I remember exactly what I was like when I was a college student. It is real easy to get caught up in the emotion and just not think of the opposition as human beings. DeAngelo Casto was dealt a really rough hand in the game of life and he has turned into a really fine young man against real rough odds. When a group of priviledged kids act in the manner they did last night, it turns casual supporters of the team off and it tarnishes the reputation of a fine Jesuit university.

Really there should be a bigger emphasis on educating the students ahead of time and policing this type of mean spirited taunting and chanting placed on at all institutes of higher learning across the nation. I know Mark Few doesn't like it, and I'm sure he would like to see them knock off the lowly personal attacks.

SWZag
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM

Well, I guess we can skip just saying that about Wazzu and say it about the whole Pac-10! haha, just joking! It's great to see student athletes take the "Student" part as seriously as they do the "Athlete" part.

Heytvelt got a 3.50? Good for him!! Making the All-Academic team is just as important as making the "All-League" team. Good job to all.

And getting back to the thread topic. Casto is a great player. Fun to watch his athleticism and hustle.

SWZag

titopoet
12-03-2009, 10:27 AM
That chant was lame and small.

And it made Castro play better. No more stupid Kerr chants. (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/sioncampus/02/26/pattern.of.abuse0303/index.html)

seasontixholder
12-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Count me as a dissenter who hasn't been hypersensitized by 25 years of Oprah and other thumbsuckers. C'mon, if anything it was old, stale and the mildest of insults. We're on the verge of banning insults altogether in the favor of group hugs for opposing players.

JAGzag
12-03-2009, 10:32 AM
How would any of us feel is we had major reading or other deficiencies that were lampooned in front of 6000 people....

Well, if I was dominating the paint for the opposing team, I would hope it wouldn't distract me! I have to respectfully disagree with the negative nancys on this issue. The point of chants is to get in a players head and throw them off their game, not to be mean. This doesn't happen with chants like "you should have come to GU!" I remember a thread ways back about how the KC wasn't doing their research in coming up with clever chants against specific players. Of course we can all agree to disagree on where the line should be drawn, but a kid's academic difficulties ... at a college BBall game is fair game in my opinion.

seasontixholder
12-03-2009, 10:35 AM
Who are these seeming newbies who never heard a razz from fans, let alone opposing players? It's as old as baseball. I've heard varying versions of "dumb" chants since I was a kid decades ago, even in old Kennedy Pavilion.

Baldwinzag
12-03-2009, 10:38 AM
I understand where many are coming from regarding the Casto chant, but we can't have our cake and eat it too as casual critics of the Kennel Club. During WCC play last season, numerous threads were made about the lack of passion, chants, or rowdiness on behalf of the KC. I agree the potentially crossed a line, yet when I was a member and even KC Board member for a year, there were much nastier, meaner, mean-spirited comments made in the stands. Its part of the game, folks. Remember when Heytvelt was being heckled for a chemical dependency issue? Isn't that just as poor taste as someone with a reading issue? They are both serious issues we deal with in our society, yet everyone on the board was quick to remind us it comes with the territory when Heytvelt was berated by opposing crowds. It works both ways, imo.

seasontixholder
12-03-2009, 10:43 AM
If you want to put this in perspective, wrangle yourself a sideline pass for any Pac-10 football game in the Northwest. Some venues are worse than others, but if you wear opposition gear, be prepared for the vilest of language and being pelted. The topic will be your mother, not your lack of devotion to studies.

UberZagFan
12-03-2009, 10:50 AM
Uber just thinks the chant is dull, stale, not very clever and made the KC look like the ones who can't read or haven't read very much. Playing a team like WSU (local rival that has produced some thrilling games over the past decade) in your own house demands a little more imagination and ingenuity.

ZagNative
12-03-2009, 11:14 AM
Now I understand the bitter tone in Casto's post-game interview on KREM 2 (http://www.krem.com/video?id=78394927&sec=550272).

SpokastSports
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
The insult did make sense, for Casto to be able to play his senior year in high school he had to be declared D.I., but that jab was just too weak, too long winded.

I did appreciate the masks though. Swine flu mockery ftw.

theothegreat21
12-03-2009, 11:48 AM
As a recent graduate, who repeatedly saw the Kennel Club called out on this very site for not being creative and loud....I say lighten up.

The crowd was loud and crazy and as you can tell in an interview, rattled a kid. Recruits love seeing the Kennel Club at its best, which it was last night. And guess what, our guys hear much worse on the road.

GUDan07
12-03-2009, 12:37 PM
You guys all need to really lighten up. The job of the Kennel Club is to cheer for GU and try and rattle the opposing team. If you can't take a little jeering, don't play D-1 hoops. I seem to recall every gym we played in chanting "mushrooms" at our psychedelic center.

GUDan07
12-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Do you see anything missing from that list? Oh yeah, academic standards! Your argument is a joke. WSU and ASU are notorious for having some of the weakest academic standards, and providing a place for everyone that couldn't get into a real school a place to go and party for 5-6 years while they pursue their degree in communications. You're probably right, the kid that went to ASU and majored in communications is probably way smarter than the students at Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and UW. The only thing that list provides is a barometer for how much of a free pass you get as an athlete at a bottom tier pac-10 school.

primal23
12-03-2009, 12:45 PM
The insult did make sense, for Casto to be able to play his senior year in high school he had to be declared D.I., but that jab was just too weak, too long winded.

D.I.?

primal23
12-03-2009, 12:52 PM
You guys all need to really lighten up. The job of the Kennel Club is to cheer for GU and try and rattle the opposing team. If you can't take a little jeering, don't play D-1 hoops. I seem to recall every gym we played in chanting "mushrooms" at our psychedelic center.

Although I don't like what was shouted I do agree w/ this. Josh endured quite a lot, but I didn't hear him whine about it after the game, and talk about how all the other fans are terrible. If he thinks that fans at UW won't do the same he is for a hard time. Don't get me wrong, I like Casto, love his energy and the guy can REALLY play BBALL!

75Zag
12-03-2009, 12:55 PM
As a grown up, I don't like it when students - or anybody else - mock a person who has experienced family troubles, academic troubles, economic troubles, etc.

But back in the day when I was a freshman at GU, and twenty years before the Kennel Club came into existence, I can recall drinking a half-case of Hamms, smoking a bunch of that $10.00 an ounce herbal remedy in my room in Catherine / Monica, ($10.00 an ounce - those really WERE the good old days) and heading over to Kennedy Pavilion to yell obscene comments at opposing Big Sky Conference players, cheerleaders, coaches, family members, referees, etc.

Boys and Girls will be Boys and Girls.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

Vizagra
Guys, a little ribbing is part of the game. you can't stop it. And to credit the Kennel Club, they have really cleaned it up. Back when I went to GU 97-01, there was a player that was quoted in an article saying his mom rasied him and he didn't know who his father was. What did the KC do the next time he played us? Chanted Who's your Daddy? Another got a DUI, D-U-I was chanted. Another had a kid out of wed lock, another chant was made, another had problems qualifying and Hooked on Phonics was chanted...Todays KC is much tamer in regards to personal insults than years past, especially in the old Kennel.

It isn't just GU, it is everywhere. Micah got razzed on the road, Morrison did, we all know Josh did - the list goes on and on.

Colbyspapa
Well, if I was dominating the paint for the opposing team, I would hope it wouldn't distract me! I have to respectfully disagree with the negative nancys on this issue. The point of chants is to get in a players head and throw them off their game, not to be mean. This doesn't happen with chants like "you should have come to GU!" I remember a thread ways back about how the KC wasn't doing their research in coming up with clever chants against specific players. Of course we can all agree to disagree on where the line should be drawn, but a kid's academic difficulties ... at a college BBall game is fair game in my opinion.

There are so many other things you can do. For example, when Steve Nash came to play in K1 when I was a freshman, we brought 150 pairs of womens thong underwear and started chanting "Victoria's Secret, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap" Nash busted out laughing at the free throw line.

You can get in their heads, get noticed and be witty without being just another jackass crowd with no class. Demonstrate intelligence, don't just talk about it. Kennel club represents our University, the student's parents and themselves. I personally don't like hearing people say "Gonzaga students think they are better than everyone else". I think it makes us sound like snobby, overprivilidged rich kids; and as someone who just paid off my last student loan 13 years after graduation, it is not a clear representation of our student body.

Colbyspapa
12-03-2009, 01:01 PM
Do you see anything missing from that list? Oh yeah, academic standards! Your argument is a joke. WSU and ASU are notorious for having some of the weakest academic standards, and providing a place for everyone that couldn't get into a real school a place to go and party for 5-6 years while they pursue their degree in communications. You're probably right, the kid that went to ASU and majored in communications is probably way smarter than the students at Stanford, UCLA, Cal, and UW. The only thing that list provides is a barometer for how much of a free pass you get as an athlete at a bottom tier pac-10 school.

I think you are out of line. Unless you can point to a specific study that shows Washington State University offers a lower quality of education than other schools I would stop making statements based on nothing.

I know plenty of brilliant Cougs. Those that I knew who went to WSU to party, mostly didn't graduate.

Your statement "a free pass" hints of academic scandal which has not been the case at WSU so I would watch it.

Baldwinzag
12-03-2009, 01:05 PM
Here's a brief perspective from a WSU fan, courtesy of Cougfan.com:

It's called a home court advantage. There's not an official decorum about what can and can't be said. Their job is to support their team & get into the heads of the opposition. Apparently they did. It's up to the player to block out the crowd.

I'll take our crowd getting into an opposing player's head anyday than saying nothing at all. Do I think the KC went too far with their comments? Possibly. Would I trade this victory in order to avoid hurting Mr. Casto's feelings? No way.

On to Saturday...and I hope the Kennel Club brings the intensity vs Wake.

GUDan07
12-03-2009, 01:10 PM
I think you are out of line. Unless you can point to a specific study that shows Washington State University offers a lower quality of education than other schools I would stop making statements based on nothing.

I know plenty of brilliant Cougs. Those that I knew who went to WSU to party, mostly didn't graduate.

Your statement "a free pass" hints of academic scandal which has not been the case at WSU so I would watch it.

If you think that athletes that go to large public universities are held to the same standards as the regular students, the only one you are deceiving is yourself.

GUDan07
12-03-2009, 01:11 PM
Here's a brief perspective from a WSU fan, courtesy of Cougfan.com:

I'll take our crowd getting into an opposing player's head anyday than saying nothing at all. Do I think the KC went too far with their comments? Possibly. Would I trade this victory in order to avoid hurting Mr. Casto's feelings? No way.

On to Saturday...and I hope the Kennel Club brings the intensity vs Wake.

+1

malmer7
12-03-2009, 01:21 PM
As a grown up, I don't like it when students - or anybody else - mock a person who has experienced family troubles, academic troubles, economic troubles, etc.

But back in the day when I was a freshman at GU, and twenty years before the Kennel Club came into existence, I can recall drinking a half-case of Hamms, smoking a bunch of that $10.00 an ounce herbal remedy in my room in Catherine / Monica, ($10.00 an ounce - those really WERE the good old days) and heading over to Kennedy Pavilion to yell obscene comments at opposing Big Sky Conference players, cheerleaders, coaches, family members, referees, etc.

Boys and Girls will be Boys and Girls.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

I'm not going to touch the herbal remedy topic, but I do agree with your perspective here. The things I said to some of the Pepperdine players while in the front row at a GU game as a student were terrible and I'd never say them today, but back then it's pretty tough to have that filter, especially a few sodas into it... it is what it is, and it is college sports where the fan base is typically made up of 18-22 year olds and that's what makes it so great IMO

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 01:24 PM
D.I.?
Developmentally Impaired?

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Drill Instructor?

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 01:26 PM
Drunken Iowan?

Saxon_zag
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM

As someone who knows Dee personally I just want to point out how untrue and ridicoulous that is lol. Dee has had his academic issues for sure but he indeed can read and that claim you just made sounds like some idiotic middle school rumour

malmer7
12-03-2009, 01:28 PM
damn - after my post i checked out cougfan.com briefly and can't believe all the play this is getting. every post is "i'd be ashamed to be a gonzaga fan" or "gonzaga is classless".
give me a friggin break - like this is what i need with my father-in-law (HuskyHaterJohn) coming into town this weekend. he already likens us to boise state football fans - great...

Zag4Hire
12-03-2009, 01:38 PM
I think everything has been said but I just wanted to touch one thing:

Chants and taunts are subjective; Depending on the content, they either amuse you, offend you, or are indifferent. I am not debating the content of the chant.

But the thing about being an athlete is that good athletes harness that energy from the crowd, regardless if the crowd is for or against them, and then find a way to excel. If it takes you out of your game, you need to regain your composure and your focus. I am not saying it is easy but it is something you need to do. If you are worried about the crowd, then you are losing your focus on the court.

primal23
12-03-2009, 01:40 PM
Drunken Iowan?

Thanks Lothar, I like this one best!!:allhail:

tyra
12-03-2009, 01:45 PM
Count me in the group that thinks this chant/taunt was beyond poor taste. You want to know what great taunt is? It's one that makes you laugh out loud. I'm not laughing.

SWZag
12-03-2009, 01:51 PM
I'd say this is a stupid thread...

...but I better not.

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 01:57 PM
I'd say this is a stupid thread...

...but I better not.
...don't want to hurt the thread's feelings...

Crusader Rick
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
I heard first hand from someone close to Dee that the attacks were much more vicious and personal than attacking his reading skills. Turning a blind eye to it, and pretending it isn't happening is not the answer.

Gonzdb8
12-03-2009, 02:02 PM
Sometimes poor taste goes beyond "poor taste". Cruel, stupid and personally mean chants and comments do not help the players at GU, do not secure a win and should be banned.

i have to know, how exactly would you go about banning certain chants and what criteria would you use to determine what is in "poor taste"? thats not exactly an objective term.

U Zig, I Zag
12-03-2009, 02:03 PM
Casto won't be reading it... :p

In all seriousness, someone might read it to him... so behave! ;)

Personally: poor taste. Not an alum but as a fan and a Spokanite I was embarrassed by it a bit. I know kids will be kids, etc but some of these students are leaders and inasmuch they should have derailed that chant.

Just because 'everyone' does it or BCS football games are worse, etc doesn't mean its OK.

Maybe this forum should offer the KC a few suggestions for upcoming games?

Maybe everyone sporting headbands (wouldn't have worked last year, IRA!) and when Casto was at the line or warming up everyone could poll them down over there ears/eyes in the same goofy way he does...

Best sign I saw was last year, maybe the year before 'Gael is a girls name'. Awesome.

lothar98zag
12-03-2009, 02:04 PM
I heard first hand from someone close to Dee that the attacks were much more vicious and personal than attacking his reading skills. Turning a blind eye to it, and pretending it isn't happening is not the answer.
no one is turning a blind eye to what has been posted in this thread.

ZagLawGrad
12-03-2009, 02:15 PM
I suspect Casto can read pretty well. After all, he is a soph in college. And if he is a texter like most college students, he can probably communicate better than most folks.

No doubt the chant was in poor taste---the KC hardly has a lock on that in College sports.

However, throwing stones in glass houses?---the Coug fans rode Heytfelt mercilessly....not exactly beyond the realms of poor taste.

And besides, I remember being at Dad's weeekend with my daughter at WSU in the Student Section 4 years running---trust me, the Coug fans need to police their own before critcizing another school's crowd.

duper
12-03-2009, 03:04 PM
We as Zag fans constantly talk about the higher standards our coaching staff, players and school have over other schools. If last night was any indication, maybe we need to get off the moral high horse and relize we are no different than the other school just a little better at winning.

The KC put a blackeye on a great night. I am however proud today to hear most posters disagree with what was a terrible display of what IMO a Zag is.

maynard g krebs
12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
i have to know, how exactly would you go about banning certain chants and what criteria would you use to determine what is in "poor taste"? thats not exactly an objective term.

This question has to be looked at subjectively on a case by case basis. It's like pornography, you know it when you see it.

A line has to be drawn somewhere. A few yrs ago, Oregon students chanted "the house is on fire" at Leon Powe, who as a child survived a fire where family members died, I believe. This isn't quite that extreme, but in the same category of meanspiritedness imo.

It's up to Christian schools to put their money where their mouths are. This is a teaching moment. Suspend the Kennel Club for a game. Maybe it would start a (positive) trend. And it would make a statement to the world about the school's values.

UberZagFan
12-03-2009, 03:08 PM
There are so many other things you can do. For example, when Steve Nash came to play in K1 when I was a freshman, we brought 150 pairs of womens thong underwear and started chanting "Victoria's Secret, clap, clap, clap, clap, clap" Nash busted out laughing at the free throw line.

That was classic but Uber thinks "150 pairs" may be a bit of revisionist history...not sure there were even 150 KCers at that game.

NEC26
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
This thread is ridiculous. If the crowd is getting into their head then that is their fault. Thats exactly what they are trying to do so good for them. This pc crap is stupid saying Casto cant read true or not is hardly that big of a deal.

killerbootsman
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Well in other news... it looks like Al-Farouq Aminu got a Red Ryder for christmas one year... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Farouq_Aminu

In March 2007 Aminu was arrested for aggravated assault and trespassing for shooting a woman with a BB gun from a vehicle.[6] Aminu was granted first offender status because he had no criminal history and sentenced to three years of probation and 120 hours of community service. [7]

primal23
12-03-2009, 03:14 PM
Cougfan blog popped up on my Google Alerts, and it was about this issue. I read the post, and agreed with a lot of what he had to say, but then the idiot decides this is the best time to bring up race. Like the KC picked Casto because he is black, and at that point in my mind you lose all credibility. Last time I looked, the GU team has black and white players, and so does the student section, school, etc. Granted Spokane isn't as diverse as I wish it was, but hell, Pullman isnt exactly a Mecca of racial diversity, at least not when school is out of session.

Was it in poor taste? Yes, and reading about Casto's story makes me think even higher of him then I did before I read it. BUT does that mean one cannot shout things at someone because of the past(as long as it is in good taste)? Well then EVERY away game for ANY team better have no one in the stands, because there is usually at least one person who has had a tough life(maybe not nearly as bad as Casto). And I really wonder how much of the sour grapes would come up if WSU wouldn't have lost? I bet none.

Was the KC out of line? Yes. Are student sections around the nation out of line? Yes. Does that make it ok then? No.

U Zig, I Zag
12-03-2009, 03:19 PM
Well in other news... it looks like Al-Farouq Aminu got a Red Ryder for christmas one year... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al-Farouq_Aminu

"You'll shoot your eye out! You'll shoot your eye out!'

Someone tell the KC

Baldwinzag
12-03-2009, 03:27 PM
During my four years as a dedicated and passionate Kennel Club member, I can assure you this thread could be posted after EVERY single game played in K2. The only difference being that more people heard this chant b/c it was during the actual game and with a coordinated group of students.

Back in the day, we used to show up hours in advance to heckle the players on opposing teams before, again, EVERY game. Heck, we did the exact same thing for even the Hockey team and we weren't yelling about puppies, butterflies, and ice cream to the opposition. Our primary goal was to get in their heads and many times, it worked brilliantly. If you've ever been a member of the Kennel Club or participated in organized sports, you'll quickly learn how to desensitize yourself to comments made by opposing fans and players on the other team. Our players have been conditioned to block out all the classless comments on the road--it comes with the territory of playing/participating sports. Did you hear any other Coug mention this incident besides Casto? Nope. If anything, they were complimentary of the Kennel Club as Reggie Moore said he was "blown away and impressed by the crowd's intensity".

Heck, even when I played football in HS, the things I heard on the field & in the stands were much more vile, mean-spirited, and "classless". I think my Mom, Sister, Grandma, and family were insulted more times than you could count. Fans will be fans -- and it doesn't matter if its at GU or anywhere else.

Again, do I think they went too far? Possibly. However, we're making a much bigger deal out of this than necessary. Time to talk about Wake Forest and the creative chants we can make for the Demon Deacons.

7ICoug
12-03-2009, 03:32 PM
All I can say is that I think the chant by the students was just fine. My point had nothing to do with the chant at all. I heard the "shroom" stuff last year in Beasley as well. Its all part of the deal.

If you look at the Krem video of Casto even he didn't seem to really mind! So there you have it.

My point was just that labeling all WSU alumni, students, and their institution with the can't read label is simply a joke.

So chant away

:000tens:

whatazag
12-03-2009, 03:35 PM
http://i24.tinypic.com/295wfu9.gif

I don't think this is a big deal. KC was trying to get into an opposing player's head, and apparently it worked. In my opinion it is only crossing the line when fans take it outside of the game, like what was happening to Reddick a few years back. If this were a Husky player, or HamSan, a lot of the people denouncing the KC wouldn't mind as much, but the fact is Casto is from Spokane and is a good kid so people feel worse about it. Still plays for an opposing team to the Zags, so my priority as a fan is getting the W. Sticks and stones.

I must say that watching the post game interview, Casto seemed pretty well spoken, so maybe that Wazzu education is doing him some good.

duper
12-03-2009, 04:33 PM
This thread is ridiculous. If the crowd is getting into their head then that is their fault. Thats exactly what they are trying to do so good for them. This pc crap is stupid saying Casto cant read true or not is hardly that big of a deal.

So a Christian school doesn't hold itself to higher standard? Typical!

asoc
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
really?
"Casto can't read"
???

That is harmless, it is a jab at his academic issues that many on these forums were talking about when he was in highschool and deciding where to go to school at.

The KC's goals should be to create an intimidating atmosphere not matched anywhere. Simply cheering on the team isn't enough, you need get into the other teams heads.

This chant did not cross the line.

People are too sensitive, get over it. This is a sporting event. These players are getting paid to play (Scholorships), they can handle it. They aren't kids, they are men.

NEC26
12-03-2009, 04:36 PM
So a Christian school doesn't hold itself to higher standard? Typical!

I'll say it again chanting Casto cant read is not a big deal.