PDA

View Full Version : Kennel Club

Pargo the Destroyer
12-03-2009, 07:25 AM
Loudest I have ever heard the kennel club or the arena for that matter, .the student section was full from end to end. Fogeys were on their feet. IT was great.

zagzealot
12-03-2009, 07:46 AM
Totally agree. As a fogey that likes to stand it was great to not feel that section pressure to sit down. The crowd really changed this game. Our boys needed it.

I listened to the Cougar post game radio show to get their perspective and Casto said the crowd was really brutal and loud. If anyone ever questions whether or not playing in K2 makes a difference, this game proves it.

MikeGallego
12-03-2009, 09:16 AM
If anyone ever questions whether or not playing in K2 makes a difference, this game proves it.

I haven't been lucky enough to go to many games in K2, but from my experience, last night was definitely the exception rather than the rule. If the people are as loud as they were last night, there's no question it's in the top three toughest places to play in the country. When over half the gym is sitting down and not making noise, then it's simply average.

How much of a difference did it make for the crowd that it was a WSU game?

mnzag24
12-03-2009, 09:28 AM
I haven't been lucky enough to go to many games in K2, but from my experience, last night was definitely the exception rather than the rule. If the people are as loud as they were last night, there's no question it's in the top three toughest places to play in the country. When over half the gym is sitting down and not making noise, then it's simply average.

How much of a difference did it make for the crowd that it was a WSU game?

huge difference. as a class of '08 grad, i was fortunate enough to experience both the cougars and fuskies in K2. when either of those teams came in, it was a shot in the arm to the students. no way were we going to lose to either team in our place. no chance. when we got beat by the cougs my senior year (i think...prepared really hard for that game) it was devestating and left my furious. students love this game...especially since a lot of them have friends there and want to talk smack.

ZaginLaw
12-03-2009, 09:39 AM
Had The Kennel (& KC) been that loud last time Ken Bone was in the building he'd have lost. IMHO.

MikeGallego
12-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Had The Kennel (& KC) been that loud last time Ken Bone was in the building he'd have lost. IMHO.

That's sort of my point. I don't think K2 is one of the best home courts in the country every game, which is lame when you consider how great it is some games. Regardless, Zags won and they seemed to draw a lot of energy from the crowd. Good for all.

mnzag24
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM

i might be wrong...but wasnt that game over christmas break?

zagzealot
12-03-2009, 10:12 AM

You are correct...Dec 23rd.

MikeGallego
12-03-2009, 10:20 AM

That excuse is tired. Any home court worth its salt is good year-round, not just when students are there. If K2 were consistently a good home court, the non-students would have learned by now how to make noise, even when lowly Portland State comes to town.

mnzag24
12-03-2009, 10:36 AM
That excuse is tired. Any home court worth its salt is good year-round, not just when students are there. If K2 were consistently a good home court, the non-students would have learned by now how to make noise, even when lowly Portland State comes to town.

never said it was an excuse...but its hard to ignore the fact that there arent as many people on campus over christmas break. plus, most arenas are loud because of their students, not the season ticket holders.

MikeGallego
12-03-2009, 11:05 AM
most arenas are loud because of their students, not the season ticket holders.

I suppose we're arguing the same thing, but I don't agree with your assertion. Off the top of my head, I can think of four schools (Georgetown, Memphis, Villanova, Marquette) that play in NBA arenas who have non-student crowds better than K2. I think the thing those three schools have that GU does not is that their non-students are largely alums who've stayed in town and have a vested interest. Maybe a bunch of GU season ticket holders have a similar vested interest, but it doesn't seem so.
Bottom line, if the non-students at K2 felt like making noise, they would. Maybe the school could do something to fire them up during Christmas Break, especially because we're all in agreement that a) the team plays more inspired when the crowd is fired up, and b) the crowd is generally not fired up during Christmas Break. Loudest fan gets a free smooch from Dan the Man, perhaps?

mnzag24
12-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I suppose we're arguing the same thing, but I don't agree with your assertion. Off the top of my head, I can think of four schools (Georgetown, Memphis, Villanova, Marquette) that play in NBA arenas who have non-student crowds better than K2. I think the thing those three schools have that GU does not is that their non-students are largely alums who've stayed in town and have a vested interest. Maybe a bunch of GU season ticket holders have a similar vested interest, but it doesn't seem so.
Bottom line, if the non-students at K2 felt like making noise, they would. Maybe the school could do something to fire them up during Christmas Break, especially because we're all in agreement that a) the team plays more inspired when the crowd is fired up, and b) the crowd is generally not fired up during Christmas Break. Loudest fan gets a free smooch from Dan the Man, perhaps?

you're argument about marquette is interesting to me...I'm assuming you've been to a few of their games? only reason i say so is because i am at marquette for law school and have attended multiple games. i realize i am biased but i didnt think there student section was better than Gonzaga's. keep in mind, that section is close to double in size.

MikeGallego
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
you're argument about marquette is interesting to me...I'm assuming you've been to a few of their games? only reason i say so is because i am at marquette for law school and have attended multiple games. i realize i am biased but i didnt think there student section was better than Gonzaga's. keep in mind, that section is close to double in size.

Um...

Off the top of my head, I can think of four schools (Georgetown, Memphis, Villanova, Marquette) that play in NBA arenas who have non-student crowds better than K2.

Reborn
12-03-2009, 06:43 PM
Huge shout out to the Kennel Club. You guys were AWESOME and imo, you are THE BEST. BIS schools have never wanted wanted to play in K2, including the UW. Watch what happens to Wake Forest Saturday. They too, will melt in the second half.

LoveMyZags
12-03-2009, 06:58 PM
Huge shout out to the Kennel Club. You guys were AWESOME and imo, you are THE BEST. BIS schools have never wanted wanted to play in K2, including the UW. Watch what happens to Wake Forest Saturday. They too, will melt in the second half.

I can't attest to the crowd last night because I watched the game at a bar, but I can attest to the BIS schools. I have had the pleasure of meeting Jay Wright when he was still a fairly new coach at Villanova (my 2 siblings went there) and my dad approached him and said that we need a Catholic school pre season tournament or something or you should think about a series with GU. Wright's response was to the effect of, "yeah, right, I am never playing you guys at your home court. Too intimidating." I believe this has something to do with Stanford not re upping the contract as well and why it's harder for us to get home and home series with the BCS/BIS schools. just my humble opinion though... :D

Reborn
12-03-2009, 08:22 PM
I just watched the game again. I too, don't think I've seen a better game at Gonzaga. The fans seemed fanatica. WOW!!!! What were the Kennel Club members wearing on their feet? Is that somthing new? What does it sound like in K2? It kind of reminded me of the old wooden blocks they used to use instead of clapping because it was louder. I really liked the sound of whatever the students used to make that noise.

BRING IT AGAIN SATURDAY.....EVEN LOUDER IF POSSIBLE. WE'RE ON NATONAL TV FOR THE JIMMY V FOUNDATION. IT'S A VERY SPECIAL GAME, AND ONE WE NEED TO TAKE.......YES. I SAID TAKE!:D IT'S IN OUR HOUSE!

ZagMan in Philly
12-04-2009, 03:43 AM
Great job Kennel club! I could definitely feel it through the TV...
You are a great bunch.

mnzag24
12-04-2009, 06:59 PM
Um...

touche...give me a break...it's finals time. i have no brain.

gu03alum
12-04-2009, 09:02 PM
I finally have my voice back, just in time to lose it again tomorrow.

ZagsGoZags
12-04-2009, 09:25 PM
I am glad to hear the Fogeys were on their feet. I have only had the pleasure of seeing 2 games in the Kennel, and I definitely fought embarassment in my section because I was doing nearly everything the Kennel club was doing.

For excitement in the building it is hard to beat the Spokane Arena in 07 or 06 when we almost beat Memphis. We had white towels and the whole place was rocking, all the fogeys, all the students, the chairs and speakers were rocking. Anybody remember that game? How would you rate it to this game with WSU? just curious

gu03alum
12-05-2009, 07:19 AM
I am glad to hear the Fogeys were on their feet. I have only had the pleasure of seeing 2 games in the Kennel, and I definitely fought embarassment in my section because I was doing nearly everything the Kennel club was doing.

For excitement in the building it is hard to beat the Spokane Arena in 07 or 06 when we almost beat Memphis. We had white towels and the whole place was rocking, all the fogeys, all the students, the chairs and speakers were rocking. Anybody remember that game? How would you rate it to this game with WSU? just curious

The loudest game that I have ever been to was the last time UW played here. I would say that the WSU game, at times, came close. Much of the noise was directed at the referees until the end of the game. I have never booed so much in my life as I did at those refs.

I went to the Memphis game last year, but have not attended the other ones. It was pretty loud at times in the Arena last year, but that game was hard to cheer for. You have to draw your energy somewhere and the players obviously didn't have any in that game.

mnzag24
12-05-2009, 08:21 AM
The loudest game that I have ever been to was the last time UW played here. I would say that the WSU game, at times, came close. Much of the noise was directed at the referees until the end of the game. I have never booed so much in my life as I did at those refs.

I went to the Memphis game last year, but have not attended the other ones. It was pretty loud at times in the Arena last year, but that game was hard to cheer for. You have to draw your energy somewhere and the players obviously didn't have any in that game.

couldn't agree more. last time the Chickens played here was absolutely ridiculous. one of my fondest memories (for what i can remember).

ZagsGoZags
12-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Yes, the Memphis game last year was medium. The year before that, when we were within a point or two of winning, was totally over the top, it seemed everyone was screamed out.