PDA

View Full Version : Gibbs' Passing is Phenomenal!

NontradZag
12-03-2009, 07:18 AM
I was incredibly impressed with Grant's ability to pass the ball. He threaded the needle on at least two occassions. I actually hit rewind on my DVR to check them out again. I love the court vision, and I think that down the road he will be an superb substitution for Matt or Gray.

I'm now officially a member of the Grant Gibbs fan club. :D

Timeout!
12-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Agreed.

From Grant's scouting report in HS:

by Jerry Meyer - RIVALS -
Blessed with length for his point guard position and an astute basketball IQ, He shoots the ball well and has deceptive quickness, but it is his court vision as a passer that makes him a special player. Improving his strength and lateral quickness will be important for his future success on the next level.

zzzjag
12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I felt that he was a settling influence in the half court offensive set with his vision and passing.

I was very frustrated in the first half by the amount of lazy cross court passes that resulted in turnovers by the Zags.

There was a post regarding the +/- stat on yahoo box scores in an Ammo thread. Gibbs box score would likely have had a high + number although he didn't exactly fill up the other stat columns.

Great job Grant!

bartruff1
12-03-2009, 07:38 AM
It is very difficult to get the ball into the post from the top of the key... something that GG apparently knows and some others don't....I haven't reviewed the game, but I would not be surprised if many of Sacre's TOs were not a result of trying to force the ball thru a crowd of defenders...the passing was greatly improved in the second half for a variety of reasons.. he is a keeper...

cjm720
12-03-2009, 07:47 AM
He really helped the team calm down the last quarter of the game. He set up numerous plays that didn't hit the box score. I'm glad he's seeing PT.

Go GG, Go Zags!!!

Kiddwell
12-03-2009, 08:04 AM
I'm now officially a member of the Grant Gibbs fan club. :D

Kiddwell is a charter member. Gibbs is gritty, steady. Once he gains confidence in his shot (a thing likely to come together in WCC play, IMO), he'll transition into a frequent "from the bench" presence on the court.

So glad Grant was redshirted.

:]

JPtheBeasta
12-03-2009, 08:09 AM
I was impressed by Gibbs, too. I was a little worried for his future with the Zags because he hasn't been seeing close to the kind of minutes that Matt, Gray, Meech, Stepp, etc. had before they became starters. I agree that he showed a lot of poise and had a calming influence on the team last night. In addition to the aforementioned, he took a pretty bad foul call on a box out in stride and calmed Arop(?) down after he disagreed quite animatedly with a reach-in foul. GJ didn't look ready to handle the extended minutes (kind of amped up and nervous, IMO) when Meech got in foul trouble and Gibbs stepped in beautifully. I finally got a glimpse of why everyone is so high on him, and would love to see more.

U Zig, I Zag
12-03-2009, 08:33 AM
... I think Gibbs was a key in winning the game. The give and goes, the high screens and drop downs to a big below - he had a certain amount of confidence that impressed me.

I was watching the game with a buddy and he says 'why they putting in Gibbs?!?!?' and then he precedes to pass out of traps, LOOK STEADY AND IN CONTROL WITH THE BALL (AHEM, MEECH), and make some key plays. I look at my friend and tap the side of my head - when you make a comeback like that you need to play smart. Gibbs/Kelly/Matty B was the answer.

I like Gibbs and I like him in after Gray - I think it's worth a shot.

spudzag
12-03-2009, 09:10 AM
He really helped the team calm down the last quarter of the game. He set up numerous plays that didn't hit the box score. I'm glad he's seeing PT.

Go GG, Go Zags!!!

+1 Impressive display.

Postplayer57
12-03-2009, 10:18 AM
Rest Easy,I still believe Grant Gibbs will be Matty's heir apparent when the time comes. He can defend, is tough, a leader, great passer, three point shooter, and has court sense. Those things will in the end counter lack of speed and athleticism, which he has more of both than one would think.Just hide and watch, 2010-11 starting guards Gibbs, Meech, and Gray.

bballbeachbum
12-03-2009, 10:45 AM
when they subbed him in late just to inbounds the ball, when he hadn't played the whole game...sure took note of that. and then last night, his presence was felt out there when it was needed; the kid's ticker seems to work pretty well, looks like a gamer

UberZagFan
12-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Uber was impressed with GG's passing as well--passes that lead to easy baskets are always nice.

WallaWallaZag
12-03-2009, 12:16 PM
it's obvious the coaching staff trusts him in any situation...that's always a good sign. his ability to come off the bench and play solid after having zero playing time, like the inbounds play mentioned, is very impressive and much harder to do than people realize.

LinnMarZag
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
This is all great to hear!!! Go Grant!

FieldHouseFishHouse
12-03-2009, 01:49 PM
Gibb's passing was good. I also noticed Bouldin threading a half court bounce pass into Harris(?), who immediately drop-stepped and got fouled. I about spilled my drink on that one.

soccerdud
12-03-2009, 01:55 PM
Gibb's passing was good. I also noticed Bouldin threading a half court bounce pass into Harris(?), who immediately drop-stepped and got fouled. I about spilled my drink on that one.

i think it was olynyk who received it, but either way-- yeah, i was struck by that play too.

maynard g krebs
12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Good to see this thread is unanimous. More and more Stepp and Bouldin-like every game.

MickMick
12-03-2009, 05:45 PM
The bigs need to be ready. Grant really zips it in there with velocity. It gives the defense no chance to recover.

Few has so many options right now. You know that Arop and Kong are due to blow our minds in due time as well.

ZagDaddy
12-03-2009, 05:56 PM
I just watched the second half over again and I gotta say I saw many nice things from Grant. He was showing real leadership out there with several of the younger players, calming them down and picking them up to go along with some great dishes.

Team leadership is so very important to a team's success. Sure, this is Matt's team this year but Grant is showing me good stuff for going forward.

mendiant
12-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Yep, but I for one am NOT willing to be all that for Grant until he gets SUBSTANTIAL playing time.

mendiant is not a basketball ####...

Grant must earn her love...over time and with much improvement and effort.

love,
mendiant

GPGUgrad
12-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Uber was impressed with GG's passing as well--passes that lead to easy baskets are always nice.

+1 Uber, I noticed that also. Very nice.

HOOTER
12-03-2009, 07:58 PM
In a game like that, when at times everything seems to be falling apart, it's nice to have guys like Grant on the bench who can come in with a clear head and help get the ball rolling in the right direction. After seeing Grant's (not to mention Kelly's) performance last night my confidence in the bench is increasing.

bigblahla
12-03-2009, 08:37 PM
"06-16-2009, 10:01 AM
bigblahla: Professional Zag Fan
Seems some folks on here don't give Grant much credit for his game I'm hoping that we will all be pleasantly surprised and that maybe young Mr. Gibbs has a few tricks up his sleeve that will put smiles on all our faces. Go!! Zags!!!"

Hmmmmm? This guy must have known something. ;)

Go!! zags!!!

sittingon50
12-03-2009, 09:18 PM
Grant was unflappable. To come in off the bench cold & do what he did; impressive.

Just like riding a bike, I guess.