• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GUZagDenver
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2008

Meech

I will premise this post by saying that last night'w in was big. If you told me at the beginning of the season that we were going to have a combined 10 points from Rob Sacre and Steven Gray against a Top 25 caliber team, and still win, I would have called you crazy. We looked horrible in the first half, but turned it around and scratched one out. Something that is becoming a staple of this team.

That being said, one of my biggest concerns is Meech's inability to shoot the basketball. It really hurt us last night when they were playing off of him and sagging down on our big men. They were literally playing off of him by 10 feet, and he wouldn't shoot the ball. I know he took one shot and missed badly. He also really struggles from the free throw line, and never really looks comfortable shooting the basketball. I love what he brings to the table with his speed running the floor, and on-the-ball defense, but his shot looks bad, and hasn't really improved from last year.
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

agree, but

agree, but meech played so well vs Cincy, taking good shots and making them. still, he looks winston brooks like at times. he will prob never be a deadeye shooter but he brings so much else to the table. this team doesnt need him to take any more than 3-5 shots a gm. vilarino looks more o-minded but i cant see few changing the lienup. in certain gms, meech will just play less.

Comment

• NotoriousZ
      Zag for Life
      • Oct 2008

You have to love what he brings on D. The one thing that would help him most IMO is to develope those 5-10 foot runners. He can blow away just about anybody with the first step, but sometimes he takes it too far into traffic and gets swatted in the paint.

There were times in the WSU game where he had a clear lane to the basket (after beating one guy off the ball) and he decided to pass instead of going for the hoop. If he was a little more aggressive on offense we could score many more points I think. He doesn't always have to take that 5-10 runners either, when the defense collapses on him (and it will after he makes a few of those) he could find the open man--easy basket.
      It's peanut butter jelly time!

Comment

• Timeout!
        Kennel Club Material
        • Nov 2009

Its more than just his shooting -- he lacks court vision, timing on his penetration & finishes, crisp passing to the post or guards, and exhibits an unbelievably frustrating propensity to pick up his dribble in inexplicable moments. How many times does Meech allow himself to get trapped at halfcourt or on the perimeter? I haven't seen GJ or even Gibbs do this once this season. Not a sign of starting PG, IMO.

To make matter worse, Meech does it at least 4-5 times per game which leads to our offensive being out of sorts and changing the play to bail him out of a trap. Also, I love the fact he's fast and a tremendous transition guard, but he rushes things beyond recognition -- even the other players would have to agree on some level b/c it shows. Our other players never seem to be on the same page as Meech's "fast" mind. Against WSU, Meech couldn't run a play or lead to score when he was leading the offense. That should tell us something. We didn't score unless Matt, Gray, or even Gibbs lead the play.

We can only hope our so-called "true" PG improves drastically as the season progresses b/c he was next in line and the duties are his. However, I'd much prefer GJ or even Gibbs, who both seem to have a better overall/versatile game and are both solid passers. Meech, not so much for me.

Just my opinion.

Comment

• zagfan24
          Zag for Life
          • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Timeout! View Post
          Its more than just his shooting -- he lacks court vision, timing on his penetration & finishes, crisp passing to the post or guards, and exhibits an unbelievably frustrating propensity to pick up his dribble in inexplicable moments. How many times does Meech allow himself to get trapped at halfcourt or on the perimeter? I haven't seen GJ or even Gibbs do this once this season. Not a sign of starting PG, IMO.

To make matter worse, Meech does it at least 4-5 times per game which leads to our offensive being out of sorts and changing the play to bail him out of a trap. Also, I love the fact he's fast and a tremendous transition guard, but he rushes things beyond recognition -- even the other players would have to agree on some level b/c it shows. Our other players never seem to be on the same page as Meech's "fast" mind. Against WSU, Meech couldn't run a play or lead to score when he was leading the offense. That should tell us something. We didn't score unless Matt, Gray, or even Gibbs lead the play.

We can only hope our so-called "true" PG improves drastically as the season progresses b/c he was next in line and the duties are his. However, I'd much prefer GJ or even Gibbs, who both seem to have a better overall/versatile game and are both solid passers. Meech, not so much for me.

Just my opinion.
          Strongly disagree with you on this one. Meech had a tough game last night - but he has actually had very few turnovers this season. While he occasionally races down the court when the defense is slow getting back -- he has considerably improved his ability to be "under control" while doing so. Moreover, he plays within himself and doesn't force shots that aren't part of his game. His defense has been incredible this season...Few called him one of the best on ball defenders we've ever had.

Meech didn't see a lot of PT last year, and now as a Sophomore he's being asked to lead a young team from the point guard spot, which is a hell of a lot to ask. In my opinion, he's done a phenomenal job and is doing all of the things Few asks him to do. The shot will come, and he'll learn more and more how to control the tempo of games and use his speed in bursts...but I really don't think we can ask for any more than he's given us so far.

Comment

• GUZagDenver
            Kennel Club Material
            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zagfan24 View Post
            Strongly disagree with you on this one. Meech had a tough game last night - but he has actually had very few turnovers this season. While he occasionally races down the court when the defense is slow getting back -- he has considerably improved his ability to be "under control" while doing so. Moreover, he plays within himself and doesn't force shots that aren't part of his game. His defense has been incredible this season...Few called him one of the best on ball defenders we've ever had.

Meech didn't see a lot of PT last year, and now as a Sophomore he's being asked to lead a young team from the point guard spot, which is a hell of a lot to ask. In my opinion, he's done a phenomenal job and is doing all of the things Few asks him to do. The shot will come, and he'll learn more and more how to control the tempo of games and use his speed in bursts...but I really don't think we can ask for any more than he's given us so far.

Will it? It certainly hasn't gotten any better from last year. He actually looks worse at the free throw line. It seems like as a sophomore in college, at this level of basketball, you can either shoot it, or you can't. And he can't. I think we kept thinking the same thing eith Pargo. Everyone thought that putting up 10,00 jump shots a summer would really improve his shotting, and it never did. Maybe I just miss the days of Ravio, Stepp, and Dickau being able to shoot the lights out, but IMO a point guard who can shoot is very important. Especially against athletic, NCAA tournament type teams who have athletic wings to guard Steven and Matt.

Comment

• cjm720
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2007

Wrong. Meech has improved markedly from last year. He's the 5th scoring option as a starter. Re-watch some of the games, he's been way more agressive on the scoring end this year. His foul troubles hurt him last night.

Now, if this thread was about his lack of ASSISTS for a PG I would agree. For a pass first option, his assists aren't close to where they should be IMO. That said, he has helped us win more than he's hurt us...he's a sophomore and will only get better.

Go Meech, Go Zags!!!!
              Go Zags!!!

Comment

• DADoZAG
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2009

Originally posted by GUZagDenver View Post
                …one of my biggest concerns is Meech's inability to shoot the basketball. It really hurt us last night when they were playing off of him and sagging down on our big men. They were literally playing off of him by 10 feet, and he wouldn't shoot the ball. I know he took one shot and missed badly. He also really struggles from the free throw line, and never really looks comfortable shooting the basketball. I love what he brings to the table with his speed running the floor, and on-the-ball defense, but his shot looks bad, and hasn't really improved from last year.
                I have, admittedly, a man crush on a few of the ZAGS, including Meech. My posts touting his toughness started long ago, but this “inability” to take shots is definitely a concern. However, the inside word is that Meech’s shot has greatly improved, and Few has mentioned during more than one interview that Meech has a great shot.

What’s up?

Could it be that a fear of failure has created an internal burden for the sophomore guard? That’s my interpretation based on the reverence he shows for past GU points during his interviews with the media. Is Meech trying to think the game to much rather than just playing the game?

This fear seems to disappear when external pressure is put on him. Meech did well against Cincy, and seems to get tougher when someone knocks him down a few times. When someone gets in his face, he seems to stop thinking about what to do, and relies on his instincts.

Perhaps there needs to be a dedicated staff member to slap Meech upside the head each time he enters the game. That’s a sarcastic thought, of course, but maybe some other sort of external wake up call to get him out of his head, and into the game…

We’ve seen glimpses of what Meech can do, we know he has the athletic gifts. Coach says he can shoot. I still have the man crush and I still believe Meech is the motor that will propel this team to heights not yet seen for ZAGnation.

Go ZAGS!
                Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

• JohnOGU
                  Professional Zag Fan
                  • Feb 2008

Meech's shot LOOKs a lot better than it did last year. He just has to have confidence in himself come gametime.

Comment

I don't think that Meech is a point guard in the traditional role of our point guards in the last ten years...BUT he is a weapon on defense...and offense it looks to me as if Few is using his speed to push and take advantage of the fast break if it is there...if not, then he gives up the ball to Matt to start the half court offense ...he is never going to be Ravio...but...they are 6-1...so something is working...he had a hell of a game against the Bearcats...

Comment

• xjzico
                      Professional Zag Fan
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cjm720 View Post
                      Now, if this thread was about his lack of ASSISTS for a PG I would agree. For a pass first option, his assists aren't close to where they should be IMO. That said, he has helped us win more than he's hurt us...he's a sophomore and will only get better.
                      It seems this year as a team assists are down.
                      We lost, we won; either way we had fun. - Eduardo Galeano

Comment

• zag buddy
                        Banned
                        • Dec 2007

As the games get easier, Meech will work more variables into his game. I believe right now he is doing the things he does best minimizing his errors and allowing the other players to pick up the slack. Go Zags

Comment

• CaliforniaZaggin'
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2008

I agree w/ GUZagDenver. Meech is a beast on defense and he can push the ball in the open court like no one else, but his offensive stats speak for themselves. If Meech can be become a consistent perimeter shooter, then the sky is the limit. However, if he can't improve his jumper, then teams will continue to slack off him and his effectiveness in the half court will be very limited.

FG % (2009): 42.1
                          FG % (2008): 54.0

FT % (2009): 59.1
                          FT % (2008): 64.7

3P % (2009): 0
                          3P % (2008): 25.0

Assists (2009): 1.4
                          Assists (2008): 1.6

Minutes (2009): 28.1
                          Minutes (2008): 13.4
                          What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Comment

• Baldwinzag
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Not so fast, my friends.

I'll admit, Meech plays a bit too reckless for my taste, but it works half the time all the time. However, I wouldn't give up Meech's on-the-ball defense for anything, but unless he improves with the ball in half-court sets, he'll be passed over by season's end. I could potentially foresee Grant or GJ gaining on him by throughout the conference season for starter type minutes, but we still need Meech in a big way.

He is the reason we've been successful in limiting penetration at the point of attack. Have you noticed the quick, athletic guards lighting up other teams except when they face the Zags? Just look at Hughes going off for 28 pts against Duke who had no one to stop his dribble-drive, yet Meech had little problem containing him. We're so much better defensively when he plays it isn't funny. He's a force on the defensive end and in transition and that is a commodity in College hoops. I somewhat agree that he plays rushed and out of control, but for the time being, we need to take the bad with the good.
                            “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• DenDiegoZag
                              Kennel Club
                              • Feb 2007

Not So Fast...

Originally posted by GUZagDenver View Post
                              Will it? It certainly hasn't gotten any better from last year. He actually looks worse at the free throw line. It seems like as a sophomore in college, at this level of basketball, you can either shoot it, or you can't. And he can't. I think we kept thinking the same thing eith Pargo. Everyone thought that putting up 10,00 jump shots a summer would really improve his shotting, and it never did. Maybe I just miss the days of Ravio, Stepp, and Dickau being able to shoot the lights out, but IMO a point guard who can shoot is very important. Especially against athletic, NCAA tournament type teams who have athletic wings to guard Steven and Matt.
                              Let's take a look at the efficiency stats for a second and see if there is evidence to support your claim that that Pargo did not really improve his shooting and that Meech has not done so thus far:

Pargo
                              eFG% (from DraftExpress)
                              2006 32
                              2007 52
                              2008 53
                              2009 52

Stepp
                              eFG% (from DraftExpress)
                              2002 50
                              2003 55
                              2004 55

I, like you, enjoy having "bombs away" type point guards, but the fact is that none of the teams featuring Ravio, Stepp, and Dickau as "the point guard" were able to get GU to the third weekend of the NCAA Tournament. I think that it is too early in the season to just discount Meech's shooting improvement and I also contend that it is too early in his career to say that he is not improving his shooting. Frankly, by Pargo's junior and senior years not too many guards in the country were sagging off of him. Also, I will not belabor the the fact that Dickau and Stepp were mostly considered the #1 scoring option out of both necessity and their skill, whereas Meech is not.

The point is let's not be too hasty to judge at this point.
                              Rolling down the street...with my mind on my Foo and my Foo on my mind...

Comment

Working...
                              X