PDA

View Full Version : Gray

BSUBronco74
12-02-2009, 08:01 PM
even though Matt dropped a career high 28, Harris was 24/12 and Olynyk was huge in the last 6 minutes of the ballgame, I would have to say that Steven Gray (although he was 1/6 from the field and only scored 4 total) was absolutely the deciding factor in this win over the Cougs.

His defense on Klay Thompson, his hustle play throughout, and his overall heady basketball game in leading the Zags to once again prevail after being down early to a tough team is very encouraging. These Zags are really showing some cojones, and Gray is foremost in that so far.

Great game.

Jedster
12-02-2009, 08:05 PM
Steven is definitely dominant on defense, especially tonight. I am not too worried about his lack of offensive production tonight as you could tell his #1 assignment was to stick on Klay throughout the game. He did an amazing job at that too! They kept trying to get Klay free all night and SG would go through and around screens, deny him the ball, and play in his face whenever he got it. Klay would try to create his own shot and you could tell that Gray was bothering him quite a bit. Great to have similar size and definitely was at least as fast as him (IMO faster). Klay will be a handful for teams all season.

Way to go Steven!

23dpg
12-02-2009, 08:10 PM
Gray was as outstanding on defense as I have ever seen at GU.
Gray was also horrible on offense. His shooting was way off and his passing was terrible.
......D>O....so good game overall for Steven.

krozman
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM
1. Defensive Beast.
2. Turnover problems
3. Cold Shooting.

His game was "ok" in my book. Def. needed his defense, but I expect better out of him offensively. Next game i'm sure he'll be lights out.

CDC84
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
Bouldin is off against Cincy, and he gets 10 rebounds. Steven turns it over suffers offensively against WSU, and he shuts down Klay Thompson.

LynetteG
12-02-2009, 08:12 PM
I loved the steal at the end of the game right when a time out was called. Steven is usually pretty unemotional, but he had this terrific smile on his face, like wow, yes, I got him again! I loved it!

Bocco
12-02-2009, 08:17 PM
In spite of his cold shooting, I would have felt that Steven had a great game if it were not for his turnovers.

vandalzag
12-02-2009, 08:19 PM
As bad as he was on offense he was that much better on defense. Thomspon finished with 15 and 10 or less came against Gray. A great game. As CDC stated above, finding a way to win when one part of your game is off. You would be hard pressed to find somebody who plays better D on Thompson this year.

bigblahla
12-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Post game interview with Hudson Matt said Steven was the game mvp for his defensive effort. He definitely helped seal the deal on that end of the floor.

Impressive courage by our guys I'm ready for my big gulp, give me the Koolaid.:D

Go!! Zags!!!

TacomaZAG
12-02-2009, 08:23 PM
tonight, and he did it incredibly well. He held the nation's leading scorer to 15 points below his average, and all while committing only 2 fouls (I think). Klay shot below 30% from the field and you could tell he was tired when he got to the free throw line.

He was sloppy on the offensive end, granted, but he did what we needed him to do.

Great game Steven, your D was the difference tonight.

Go ZAGS

VinnyZag
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
I think any criticism of his game on the offensive end tonight is ridiculous. Harassing Thompson into a 6-for-21 night was all that mattered.
By the way, at least three of the FGs Thompson actually made were when Gray was resting or switched off him.

ZagLawGrad
12-02-2009, 08:25 PM
tonight, and he did it incredibly well. He held the nation's leading scorer to 15 points below his average, and all while committing only 2 fouls (I think). Klay shot below 30% from the field and you could tell he was tired when he got to the free throw line.

He was sloppy on the offensive end, granted, but he did what we needed him to do.

Great game Steven, your D was the difference tonight.

Go ZAGS

Amen

Rbo
12-02-2009, 08:28 PM
1. Defensive Beast.
2. Turnover problems
3. Cold Shooting.

His game was "ok" in my book. Def. needed his defense, but I expect better out of him offensively. Next game i'm sure he'll be lights out.

+1

VinnyZag
12-02-2009, 08:33 PM
We just can't stand prosperity, can we?
The ONLY stat that matters about Steven Gray tonight is 6-for-21.

NEC26
12-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Uhhh he may have done a good job defensively(so did mangisto Arop when he was in too)but he was awful on offense. Way too many bad turnovers and unfroced errors. This was hardly one of his better games. Also I would say Bouldin and Harris had far better games and much more impact than Gray(Gray wasn't the only one who played good defense either). Gray has had some great games this year but this wasn't one of them.

FuManShoes
12-02-2009, 08:39 PM
In spite of his cold shooting, I would have felt that Steven had a great game if it were not for his turnovers.

This. For as much as he shut Thompson down, those turnovers, especially in the first half, really fed WSU. I expect a lot more of Steven, and he showed it the last 10 minutes of that game. I'm hoping the shakiness with the ball was a fluke.

Pargo the Destroyer
12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
The whole team was off in the first half. Steven left every ounce he had on the floor tonight. Saw him right after the game and he was flat out tired. Thompson will be a pro, and he was a handful.

surfmonkey89
12-02-2009, 08:53 PM
While I agree that Gray played good D, we're going to have a tough time beating the cream of the crop if two of our scorers - in this case Sacre and Gray - play this poorly on offense.

So kudos tonight, but better figure things out by Saturday because we don't come back against Wake if we start out like we did tonight.

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 08:59 PM
Gray's defense was fantastic, but his offense tends to be streaky. Luckily Bouldin was on tonight. But as one of the few upperclassmen on this team, Gray really needs to bring it in these close games. The Michigan State game he was completely off. If he and Bouldin are both off in close games, we are going to lose I feel. They are so key to this team's success.

Besides that, Olynyk was awesome tonight. His best game by far. Glad to see he is improving.

RenoZag
12-02-2009, 09:00 PM
I think this was the tougher of the two opponents, Surf, but the shaky starts are a worry. . .

hoopster777
12-02-2009, 09:03 PM
I think this was the tougher of the two opponents, Surf, but the shaky starts are a worry. . .

You think WSU is a tougher opponent than Wake Forest? Can't say I agree with that..

MedZag
12-02-2009, 09:04 PM
Bouldin is off against Cincy, and he gets 10 rebounds. Steven turns it over suffers offensively against WSU, and he shuts down Klay Thompson.

Finding ways to help the team when your game is off is what being a leader is all about. Hats off to them both.

surfmonkey89
12-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Wake beats us by 20 if we play like tonight.

But I'm sure we won't.

zag67
12-02-2009, 09:31 PM
I think that Steven played a great game. He gave up his offense to totally play a super defensive game against Klay. When you have a player like Klay, it requires a person to "give one for the team" and not care about being able to do anything else. He has to try and deny him the ball, when Klay gets it, Steven has to stay in his face, and when he does not have the ball, he must make sure to box him out to make sure he does not get a rebound. He also has to stay with him when someone else shoots, because if they get the rebound, Steven must make sure that they do not get the ball to Klay for an easy shot.

He held him to 13.5 less points, 3.5 less assists (zero), and more turnovers than normal. That is super (IMO). GREAT JOB Steven.

P.S. - Wake does not beat us by 20. They will not beat us at all.

tinfoilzag
12-02-2009, 10:09 PM
Gray had a good game, not a great game.

I love his effort on defense but he didn't take care of the ball and is not looking for his shot against a sagging zone defense.

It seems the formula for handling the Zags this year is going to be double and triple team the inside. We are going to need Gray to drain from the arc in order to give the big guys room to work. He doesn't seem to want the open looks.

I hope he gets his confidence back in his stroke and starts working on using his first step to get room for his shot.

If Gray's offense comes around, teams won't be able to account for 4 threats to score.

Oh, almost forgot, we're doomed.

WallaWallaZag
12-02-2009, 10:16 PM
hey, you lose all your cred if you can't even get the guy's name right...

VinnyZag
12-02-2009, 10:53 PM
I just think his defense on Thompson was as important a factor in the win as Bouldin's or Harris's offensive contributions.

bigblahla
12-03-2009, 06:01 AM
Wake beats us by 20 if we play like tonight.But I'm sure we won't.

Hopefully they won't get up by 20 but if they do who here is going to turn off their tv?

Give me the Koolaid! :D

Go!! Zags!!!

JokerZag
12-03-2009, 06:26 AM
Couldn't agree more. Gray was the difference in this game.

To put it into perspective, Thompson is a Morrison type scorer. 28/ as a soph. is outstanding and Gray for all intensive purposes locked him up. When Morrison was a junior, I remember the games he stuggled and was held to <15. We usually did not win those games.

alldaye
12-03-2009, 06:37 AM
I really don't see how Gray had a great game. He played good defense, but I thought Arop played just as well on Thompson. Gray killed us in the first half. His 6 to's and 0-5 shooting started their run, and when he left the game we started the comeback. It was not until Arop and Gibbs came in that our offense, and defense really, started clicking. Gray turned it over almost every possesion it seemed, and his confidence was totally gone. Towards the end of the game he was scared trying to even pass the ball, and he was getting it out as fast as possible. Elias Harris on the other hand...

NotoriousZ
12-03-2009, 07:16 AM
You think WSU is a tougher opponent than Wake Forest? Can't say I agree with that..

Wazzu really impressed me. Nobody gave them a chance at shutting down our bigs, but they did for much of the game. We held KT in check all night and they still led by 10-15 points most of the way. Part of that was because we turned it over more than we should have, but mostly we just got outplayed in the first half and the first 8-9 minutes of the second half. I expect that WSU will challenge for the Pac10 championship, and nobody looks as good as them in their conference right now.

Wake is a quality team, but on a neutral court, I'd give the edge to WSU.

bballbeachbum
12-03-2009, 07:21 AM
his heart never caved, so he could still compete at the end and make winning plays...much like Matt's the other game, boarding like crazy, which the team needed to win, even without draining

no, Steven's game was not perfect by any stretch and plenty to improve upon, agree, but it was winning basketball

so many guys stepped up last night, it's got to feel great this morning for them to see each other. TEAM

hooter73
12-03-2009, 08:47 AM
An article a few days or a week ago about Gray said he worked on his defence and drives this summer and not his outside shot. I can tell.

It needed to happen but just sucks that its one OR the other. Not both.